[SSR] Doc Martens Footwear to launch IPO
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Posts: 4685
Location: Santa Cruz California
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:10 pm quote
IPO = Initial Public Offering meaning they will be offering stock to the public. The IPO is on London Stock Exchange.
Quote:
Private equity owner Permira is expected to sell at least 25% of the business. The brand, which evolved into a symbol of rebellious youth culture, has continued to thrive during the coronavirus pandemic. Dr. Martens sells more than 11 million pairs a year in more than 60 countries.
I've never had a pair of Doc Martens but they have always been popular recommended footwear on MV over the years.

Best
Miguel
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 470
Location: Norfolk, VA
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:18 pm quote
I wonder if this has something to do with Brexit. Some Docs are still made in the UK. They fit my feet funny so I can never enjoy a pair, but they have a loyal following.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 5006
Location: Latina (Italy)
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:29 am quote
I still prefer Adolf Dassler's products.
And i buy them in Germany (Zalando).
Addicted
Vespa lxv 125 vie dell moda Chianti
Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 816
Location: Cheshire
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:09 am quote
So you wear Adidas
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 5006
Location: Latina (Italy)
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:27 am quote
Gasmk1 wrote:
So you wear Adidas
46,5
Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
Joined: 15 Sep 2016
Posts: 179
Location: Nashville, Tn
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:06 am quote
A new record!!! Should we call you 'Bigfoot' in the future?
posted by "littlefoot"
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 8481
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:17 am quote
I donít really have a dog in this race but thatís interesting.

However docs have been crap since they outsourced to China.

-g
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 5006
Location: Latina (Italy)
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:51 am quote
Uselessness

... it's a bigger fight than us ...
Molto Verboso
150 Sprint Veloce,Vespa GTS 300
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 1189
Location: St Neots Cambridgeshire England
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:41 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
I donít really have a dog in this race but thatís interesting.

However docs have been crap since they outsourced to China.

-g
I agree with your sir! As a Norhamptonshire born and bred child, I was used to seeing a lot of shoemakers in my area, in fact my mum and dad both worked for Grensells and mitre sports manufacturers in the past. I used to work as a printer in Northants many years ago, and one of the benefits i used to receive were freshly made shoes from Loakes brothers!

There is a well known belief in Northants that since Griggs buggered off to china, quality has fallen. They still make "proper" Docs, in Wollaston, northants not far from where I live. They have "seconds" sales every so often, (shoes that maybe have a small glitch or mark, not good enough for general sale) where I can pick up "proper" Doc Marten shoes, at a fraction of the price.

With "proper" Docs, the leather is much, much more tougher, and take a few months "breaking in" but the results pay for itself, much so, after "breaking in" they feel like trainers- you just have to persevere with the pinching while they get used to your feet.

I have both "proper" docs and Chinese docs, and the difference is huge, mind you, so is the price. £50-£65 for Chinese, over £150-£180 for "proper docs!

Graham

Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Posts: 4685
Location: Santa Cruz California
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:37 am quote
So any UK MVers going to buy stock?

Miguel
Veni, Vidi, Posti
300CC Italian scooter, 750CC Russian Sidecar,1650CC Bavarian ADV Tourer.
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7939
Location: The Six
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:10 pm quote
Miguel wrote:
So any UK MVers going to buy stock?

Miguel
Meh :-\ no thanks.

DM hasn't really been itself since the end of the last revival. They took off in popularity with skinheads, rudies, scooter boys, punks and revival mods which helped launch them to popularity then. A FP polo (esp black and gold), jeans, flight jacket and DM's were basically a uniform.

When the scene died off they tried to keep the brand alive in fashion and pop culture and did an OK job of it but were really prepping to sell. UK sales I believe have dropped off to almost nothing and the brand is no longer the one I knew at least. As far as quality I have no clue as I haven't owned a pair in like 20 years and moved on to Frye and Redwing which I believe are better quality. One downside I will say is at least growing up in Montreal the soles are slippery on ice!
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 8481
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:33 pm quote
louswheel wrote:
greasy125 wrote:
I donít really have a dog in this race but thatís interesting.

However docs have been crap since they outsourced to China.

-g
I agree with your sir! As a Norhamptonshire born and bred child, I was used to seeing a lot of shoemakers in my area, in fact my mum and dad both worked for Grensells and mitre sports manufacturers in the past. I used to work as a printer in Northants many years ago, and one of the benefits i used to receive were freshly made shoes from Loakes brothers!

There is a well known belief in Northants that since Griggs buggered off to china, quality has fallen. They still make "proper" Docs, in Wollaston, northants not far from where I live. They have "seconds" sales every so often, (shoes that maybe have a small glitch or mark, not good enough for general sale) where I can pick up "proper" Doc Marten shoes, at a fraction of the price.

With "proper" Docs, the leather is much, much more tougher, and take a few months "breaking in" but the results pay for itself, much so, after "breaking in" they feel like trainers- you just have to persevere with the pinching while they get used to your feet.

I have both "proper" docs and Chinese docs, and the difference is huge, mind you, so is the price. £50-£65 for Chinese, over £150-£180 for "proper docs!

Graham

ha! no lies. griggs was the original maker of the monkey boot right?

but for sure, the quality is different. i bought my gal a pair of maryjanes awhile back and they are 100% tougher than the dogshit that's available now. in fact, so tough that she's mad that they have to be broken in!

-g
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 8481
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:42 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Miguel wrote:
So any UK MVers going to buy stock?

Miguel
Meh :-\ no thanks.

DM hasn't really been itself since the end of the last revival. They took off in popularity with skinheads, rudies, scooter boys, punks and revival mods which helped launch them to popularity then. A FP polo (esp black and gold), jeans, flight jacket and DM's were basically a uniform.

When the scene died off they tried to keep the brand alive in fashion and pop culture and did an OK job of it but were really prepping to sell. UK sales I believe have dropped off to almost nothing and the brand is no longer the one I knew at least. As far as quality I have no clue as I haven't owned a pair in like 20 years and moved on to Frye and Redwing which I believe are better quality. One downside I will say is at least growing up in Montreal the soles are slippery on ice!
redwings are kind of a coin flip. i've been wearing them for nearly 30yrs and the entry level stuff is hot garbage now. made in china with a glued sole horseshit that fall the fuck apart in a year. the mid level stuff is okay for the price. then on the highline you've got the coin flip- stuff that is "lifestyle" and the other stuff that is real deal work boots. but pony up because it's gonna be dolla-dolla billz, yo on that stuff.

i run a rotation of redwings, keen and carhartt for work. if you switch 'em out they don't get beat down as quickly.

but docs as work boots? yeah, let me know how that works out the first time you step into a puddle of trans fluid or some spilled gas.

-g
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Posts: 2490
Location: Finland
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:52 pm quote
I'll guess the fashion world had a "boots" hit recently, so it will take some time to come back - so no to shares, thanks

Personally, I had my fare share of boots while in the army...where they were always used, wrong size etc... well, not always, but that's how it felt

When I was young, we ordered second hand military boots from the US! That was also lottery - some got really nice ones, some not. Later the trade turned into Europe, I believe nowadays the hard core guys buy old Swiss army boots that are typically not so much used and in a nice shape .

Nowadays I could buy a new pair of 'the official' Finnish army boots. Virtualy the same ones are available for work too, with metal (or is it hard plastic nowadays?) enforcements and such. Not pretty, but last for ever!

Screenshot_20210114_084253.jpg
Finnish army boots

Veni, Vidi, Posti
300CC Italian scooter, 750CC Russian Sidecar,1650CC Bavarian ADV Tourer.
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7939
Location: The Six
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:42 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Miguel wrote:
So any UK MVers going to buy stock?

Miguel
Meh :-\ no thanks.

DM hasn't really been itself since the end of the last revival. They took off in popularity with skinheads, rudies, scooter boys, punks and revival mods which helped launch them to popularity then. A FP polo (esp black and gold), jeans, flight jacket and DM's were basically a uniform.

When the scene died off they tried to keep the brand alive in fashion and pop culture and did an OK job of it but were really prepping to sell. UK sales I believe have dropped off to almost nothing and the brand is no longer the one I knew at least. As far as quality I have no clue as I haven't owned a pair in like 20 years and moved on to Frye and Redwing which I believe are better quality. One downside I will say is at least growing up in Montreal the soles are slippery on ice!
redwings are kind of a coin flip. i've been wearing them for nearly 30yrs and the entry level stuff is hot garbage now. made in china with a glued sole horseshit that fall the fuck apart in a year. the mid level stuff is okay for the price. then on the highline you've got the coin flip- stuff that is "lifestyle" and the other stuff that is real deal work boots. but pony up because it's gonna be dolla-dolla billz, yo on that stuff.

i run a rotation of redwings, keen and carhartt for work. if you switch 'em out they don't get beat down as quickly.

but docs as work boots? yeah, let me know how that works out the first time you step into a puddle of trans fluid or some spilled gas.

-g
For about 10 years I was a training manager for a mid-high level shoe chain in both Canada and the US. I refuse to own a pair of cheap glued down sole boots and look for quality. I also know you are going to pay a lot as it is a labour intensive process and quality leather is not cheap. The upside? Take care of them and you can resole them for years and years . Between Frye and Redwing I find the Wings generally an easier break-in. For actual riding boots I like the quality of the high end Revit boots made I believe in Brazil. With my work boots I try and not use then with a toe shifter but the scuffs can be rubbed out.

We sold DM's and they were the easiest sale. Customer knew exactly what they wanted and selling the branded DM shoe care stuff was also easy and had a huge margin.

Off topic but kind of a funny story though I didn't think so at the time. We had a house brand that was pretty good and made in Italy. Partially glued down soles but not bad. Anyway one year the supplier decided to swap out the high end glue we supplied for cheap crap to the manufacturer. They almost ALL fell apart and we had heaps of them in bins in the back rooms.
Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 4789
Location: Chandler, Arizona, USA
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:28 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Miguel wrote:
So any UK MVers going to buy stock?

Miguel
Meh :-\ no thanks.

DM hasn't really been itself since the end of the last revival. They took off in popularity with skinheads, rudies, scooter boys, punks and revival mods which helped launch them to popularity then. A FP polo (esp black and gold), jeans, flight jacket and DM's were basically a uniform.

When the scene died off they tried to keep the brand alive in fashion and pop culture and did an OK job of it but were really prepping to sell. UK sales I believe have dropped off to almost nothing and the brand is no longer the one I knew at least. As far as quality I have no clue as I haven't owned a pair in like 20 years and moved on to Frye and Redwing which I believe are better quality. One downside I will say is at least growing up in Montreal the soles are slippery on ice!
redwings are kind of a coin flip. i've been wearing them for nearly 30yrs and the entry level stuff is hot garbage now. made in china with a glued sole horseshit that fall the fuck apart in a year. the mid level stuff is okay for the price. then on the highline you've got the coin flip- stuff that is "lifestyle" and the other stuff that is real deal work boots. but pony up because it's gonna be dolla-dolla billz, yo on that stuff.

i run a rotation of redwings, keen and carhartt for work. if you switch 'em out they don't get beat down as quickly.

but docs as work boots? yeah, let me know how that works out the first time you step into a puddle of trans fluid or some spilled gas.

-g
If you like really high end work boots, checkout WESCO (West Coast Shoe Company). I have two pair of custom made engineer boots (made in 2002 and 2009) and a pair of off-the-shelf boots from them I bought back in ~1980. They last forEVER!

www.wescoboots.com

-Craig
Veni, Vidi, Posti
300CC Italian scooter, 750CC Russian Sidecar,1650CC Bavarian ADV Tourer.
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7939
Location: The Six
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:31 am quote
caschnd1 wrote:
If you like really high end work boots, checkout WESCO (West Coast Shoe Company). I have two pair of custom made engineer boots (made in 2002 and 2009) and a pair of off-the-shelf boots from them I bought back in ~1980. They last forEVER!

www.wescoboots.com

-Craig
Thanks Craig! The Hendrik and Johannes are good looking boots and I may order a pair. Probably leaning towards the Johannes but I do like me a nice toe cap. The customization is awesome and price really not too bad. I think I'm maybe looking at about $700 or so CAD for a pair. Do they run true to size? That is the real PITA when ordering online and I'm not sure they have a spot in Toronto where I can get fitted. I'm about a 10 1/2 or 44 and standard width is usually OK. I wish it was really standard but for instance with with Frye's I'm ok with a 10 but RW's I know I need the 11.
Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 4789
Location: Chandler, Arizona, USA
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:56 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:
If you like really high end work boots, checkout WESCO (West Coast Shoe Company). I have two pair of custom made engineer boots (made in 2002 and 2009) and a pair of off-the-shelf boots from them I bought back in ~1980. They last forEVER!

www.wescoboots.com

-Craig
Thanks Craig! The Hendrik and Johannes are good looking boots and I may order a pair. Probably leaning towards the Johannes but I do like me a nice toe cap. The customization is awesome and price really not too bad. I think I'm maybe looking at about $700 or so CAD for a pair. Do they run true to size? That is the real PITA when ordering online and I'm not sure they have a spot in Toronto where I can get fitted. I'm about a 10 1/2 or 44 and standard width is usually OK. I wish it was really standard but for instance with with Frye's I'm ok with a 10 but RW's I know I need the 11.
I would say back in 1980 they ran true to size. But that was 40 years ago. The boots I've had made most recently are both custom so I don't know what size they would be equivalent to.

-Craig
Veni, Vidi, Posti
300CC Italian scooter, 750CC Russian Sidecar,1650CC Bavarian ADV Tourer.
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7939
Location: The Six
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:01 pm quote
caschnd1 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:
If you like really high end work boots, checkout WESCO (West Coast Shoe Company). I have two pair of custom made engineer boots (made in 2002 and 2009) and a pair of off-the-shelf boots from them I bought back in ~1980. They last forEVER!

www.wescoboots.com

-Craig
Thanks Craig! The Hendrik and Johannes are good looking boots and I may order a pair. Probably leaning towards the Johannes but I do like me a nice toe cap. The customization is awesome and price really not too bad. I think I'm maybe looking at about $700 or so CAD for a pair. Do they run true to size? That is the real PITA when ordering online and I'm not sure they have a spot in Toronto where I can get fitted. I'm about a 10 1/2 or 44 and standard width is usually OK. I wish it was really standard but for instance with with Frye's I'm ok with a 10 but RW's I know I need the 11.
I would say back in 1980 they ran true to size. But that was 40 years ago. The boots I've had made most recently are both custom so I don't know what size they would be equivalent to.

-Craig
Thanks, I think I found a few places here that sell them and will do the fittings. In the spring I'll probably want a new pair of boots and will do it then. This thing we're all dealing with at the moment might have settled at least a little and better riding weather will be here.
Addicted
BV 350
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 842
Location: Nebraska
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:20 am quote
Aren't
Aren't you supposed to wear flip-flops on a scooter?

One of the grandkids loves Docs. They don't look particularly functional with the thick soles and deep tread. Maybe just on the styles she likes.

I have actual motorcycle boots, with high-traction sole material, I wear on the BV. Don't recollect the brand, but mid-height, for easy on-off but still some ankle protection. Look fine with shorts (yeah, I know, Toreador Pants not my thing) on errands. On the smaller scooter, just slip-on shoes.

Not a financial whiz by any stretch, but seems like some companies go IPO to cash out before a downturn. Prices set more on hopes than reality. And not unknown for quality to take a hit in service of bigger short-term profits.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 5006
Location: Latina (Italy)
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:35 am quote
The dress and also the shoes suitable for a scooter are those of the Mods in the Quadrophenia movie.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
300CC Italian scooter, 750CC Russian Sidecar,1650CC Bavarian ADV Tourer.
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7939
Location: The Six
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:52 am quote
Attila wrote:
The dress and also the shoes suitable for a scooter are those of the Mods in the Quadrophenia movie.

I mentioned revival Mods, particularly meaning the late 80's/90's scene. Just like the Northern Soul Mods are different from what we were. The dress was similar to what you see in Quadrophenia but YES, we did wear DM's. Not as a rule but it certainly was considered proper footwear. We were also much more closely tied to the Ska scene and many Mods also enjoyed Ska. Most of the Mods I hung out with I actually met at Ska shows.

If you think Quadrophenia is the final word on what "Mod" is then you do not understand that these things change over time and generations. Believe me, I lived it and was pretty involved in the scene in the Northeast/Midwest so speak from experience and not what you see in a movie.

*EDIT* Sorry for the /rant/ but I know I speak for a lot of us that were part of the scene and the current generation of Mods. Quadrophenia was a great movie but so many people just point to it and think that it is the definitive edition of Mod culture. I did have friends that mostly dressed like that but most of us did not outside of the parka and a few other items. FP and Ben Sherman you bet, they were still huge when I was around and I think still are. Even the hardcore old school Mods would put a pair of DM boots on a Rally as odds are you'd be walking through mud at some point and if riding a scooter hundreds of miles a loafer makes little sense.

This is a picture I just came across that is basically how most of us dressed. FWIW DM also makes loafers.

mod-shoes-mod-in-tassel-loafers-and-parka.jpg

Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1812s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0583s) ][ Debug on ]