Keep getting oil in Air Box
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
2011 LXV150ie
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:17 am quote
Hi fellow Vespa owners !

It is a 2011 LXV150ie that I just purchased used with 1200 miles. It has been dropped by the original owner so I knew there was oil in the air filter box. When I opened the air box a lot of oil came out so I cleaned it all and replaced the filter. I checked the oil level and it was real high so it looks like the original owner ran it after the drop and when the oil light came on they overfilled it with oil. I went ahead and changed the oil and got it down to the middle of the dipstick marks. However, after using half a tank of gas the clear bubble started to fill up with oil again and when opening the air box there is lots of oil in the box. Can't understand why that is happening after I cleaned the air-filter and there is no extra oil in the engine. Anyone has any thoughts?

Not sure if the bleeder valve can go bad and allowing oil to go through but not sure if there is something in it that can break.

thanks in advance.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:48 pm quote
Welcome, congratulations & etc.

Just to be sure, are you screwing the dipstick in fully to read the oil? Fairly common rookie mistake....

If that's checked off, can't think of any other likely culprit, but smarter guys should be along eventually...
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 pm quote
Drain it, put in exactly a quart and see what happens.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:15 pm quote
if you're overfilled it's gonna continue to huff into the airbox.

because it's been tipped, i'd recommend pulling the airbox and thoroughly cleaning it, as well as pulling the valve cover to clean the breather and the hose. just, like, flush everything out.

then, drain the oil and drop in a quart (as motovista said) no need to futz with the filter. run it. check it. top up as necessary. a tick over the mid mark is just fine.

-g
2011 LXV150ie
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
Welcome, congratulations & etc.

Just to be sure, are you screwing the dipstick in fully to read the oil? Fairly common rookie mistake....

If that's checked off, can't think of any other likely culprit, but smarter guys should be along eventually...
Thank you for your welcome Sir !

Yes screwing the Dipstick all the way in for sure. I took the reading over a dozen times to be sure. Still having the same issue.
2011 LXV150ie
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:22 am quote
Motovista wrote:
Drain it, put in exactly a quart and see what happens.
That's what I did. Drained it, change the filter, cleaned the inside plastic strainer then added a quart of new 10W-40 Synthetic oil purchased from Vespa dealer. Didn't help.
2011 LXV150ie
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:24 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
if you're overfilled it's gonna continue to huff into the airbox.

because it's been tipped, i'd recommend pulling the airbox and thoroughly cleaning it, as well as pulling the valve cover to clean the breather and the hose. just, like, flush everything out.

then, drain the oil and drop in a quart (as motovista said) no need to futz with the filter. run it. check it. top up as necessary. a tick over the mid mark is just fine.

-g
Good idea. I will have to take the valve cover off and looking at the bleeder valve to make sure no issues there. As for the air-box I already cleaned it very well the last time but will have to do it again once I take a look at the bleeder valve. thanks for the tip !
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1747s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0288s) ][ Debug on ]