Fender Fasteners: Little Victories
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:55 pm quote
Greetings:

I have been wondering for a while if it was normal that my ET4's fender was so... er, Floppy. I had some time to have a look this evening. You know the three (3) mounting bolts holding the fender to the steel plate of the steering tube? Mine had One. Count 'em!!

The "Correct" way to fix this involves dropping the fork, which entails dismantling the entire scooter, plus several other scooters nearby. Nope, Not Gonna Do it!

Closer inspection revealed that there actually is a little room to drop a bolt down from the top on the left side of the triangle.

Step 1: Find a perfect-length bolt from Junk Drawer. Fortunately I have extensive Junk.

Step B: Find a nut that has the correct thread size and thread pitch to fit the bolt from Step 1. Eventually the score was made. Plus a fender washer and lockwasher. Not too hard to thread in and tighten.

I could have stood pat at this point. The access to the Front mounting point is WAAAYY too small to insert a finger, much less a 3/4" bolt. What to Do?

Step 3: Select another bolt of the PERFECT Length to show a few threads above the fender.

Step 4: Using a curved hemostat from my Medical Kit, I was able to hold a nut over the hole from which the bolt inserted from below - see pics - just enough to engage the threads and tighten the bolt from below. Once the nut - no way I could add a fender washer - engaged the plastic fender, it dug in and didn't need to be held fast to get tension enough to compress the lock washer under the bolt head.

Fender now is firmly affixed, and Little Victories like this make Vespa life a pleasure.

ISOFndrFloppy.jpg
Up-and-Down Floppiness seemed excessive...

ISOFndrFstnrs.jpg
2 out of 3 ain't bad, but 1 out of 3 was just not Acceptable. Easy to get to the left one from outside, not so much the front one.

ISOFndrFrontMount.jpg
Space too skinny to get a bolt in from the top without trained Spider Monkey...

ISOFndrHemostat.jpg
Curved Hemostat to the Rescue!! Working in the dark with a useless headlamp, mostly by feel, the bolt threaded in...

Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:43 am quote
Good trick. If you remove the glove box you have access through the back of the leg shield. You need to turn the handlebars left to right to get access to all three bolts. Be sure you use a bolt with a shank on the top its called a shouldered screw and AF1 has them here. https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-ApriliaVespa-Shouldered-Screw-M6x20-575249 If you use this for the nut https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Vespa-M6-Flange-Nut-288245-EX-241936

Last edited by Pinkscooter on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:48 am quote
Greetings:

Thanks for the support, PinkScooter! Yeah I figured the glovebox would give me some access, but with previous Tribulations reinstalling that cursed piece of engineering, I thought the nether approach would be quicker. It was. BTW both links you posted, and please understand that I do not wish to appear ungrateful, lead to the same shoulder screw. I would like to see the hex nut if you have the time and inclination. I'll leave well enough alone for now, but if I ever have to go back in, I'll install the correct fasteners.
Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:17 pm quote
Sorry, I fixed it in the post but here it is again https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Vespa-M6-Flange-Nut-288245-EX-241936 I just bought 100 of them from McMaster-Carr fo $8.50 or something, you can never have too many.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1537s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0322s) ][ Debug on ]