OP
UTC

Lurker
None

Lurker
None
UTC quote
Hello All - New to the forums and Scooters.

My son has expressed interest in getting a scooter. I'm not overly familiar with scooters beyond "I know I like the look of Vespa's". I'm looking for information/recommendation on a good starting point or model. Any advice on things to watch out for? Reasonable price ranges? I'm thinking a little more classic so we can have some fun getting it going, but not a basket case.

Basically, looking to make it a bit of father son project so the right starting point is more important than anything. I'm serviceable / capable mechanically on cars and motorcycles so something that requires some work doesn't scare me.

Thanks in advance for any input!
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 01 ET2, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 01 ET2, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Look for a Stella 150 or a Vespa P200. Parts are plentiful, theres plenty of internet info on each and it'll move you if you ever decide to "borrow" it from your son. Laughing emoticon
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
read the sticky at the top of the page about things to consider before buying a vintage scooter.

read up on bodge spotting.

don't jump at the first thing you see.

post up pics, ask questions of the collective.

all of the information is here to help navigate the choppy and weird waters of vintage vespadom. use the search function, research, ask and you will be answered.

-g
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Re: Starter Scooter
Becks626 wrote:
... Any advice on things to watch out for? Reasonable price ranges? I'm thinking a little more classic so we can have some fun getting it going, but not a basket case.

!
First off, OBEY the GREASY one!!! Stubborn emoticon

The Stella or a P model Vespa are good suggestions, easier to find and perts are usually readily available. but the older ones have advantages too if that's what you meant by 'more classic'. Most have no battery or can be converted and the wiring is much simpler. Most will have no autolube or turn signals. Other than that and the more rounded look, they are much the same and share many parts.

you would do well on your first one to avoid any rust other than just surface. A good solid straight frame needing mechanical and finish work beats a good running motor in a shiny bodged frame every time. Also learn the difference between smallframes and largeframes just so you know, although you will likely start out with a more common largeframe.

Expect to pay from 1000 if lucky to north of 2000 to get what you want. Keep checking Craigslist and ScootNet where I found this typical decent '79 P for typical $1800, but it's a bit far from you. http://scoot.net/classifieds/forsale.html

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Lurker
None

Lurker
None
UTC quote
Thank you All - Appreciate the info and I have been digging around in the forums for info. I will for sure ask questions as I search.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0449s ][ Queries: 8 (0.0185s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]