Broken clutch lug
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Author Message
Lurker
Motovespa 150 sprint
Joined: 18 Feb 2021
Posts: 4
Location: Somerset
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:56 am quote
I recently purchased a Motovespa 150 Sprint engine and when it arrived the adjustment lug on the underside of the engine was snapped off.

Does anyone know if there are companies who supply a 'bolt on' version as a from of repair?

Many thanks
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6920
Location: New Zealand
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:11 am quote
Welcome to MV.

Can you post a pic of the adjustment lug?
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 39337
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:52 am quote
Presumably this is an older manual Vespa, so I'm moving this to where you might meet some comprehension.
Ossessionato
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 86 & 96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 3886
Location: Oceanside, CA
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:07 am quote
Is what you call the lug, the 8mm adjuster? Or the aluminum cast piece the 8mm adjuster screws into?

If itís the adjuster get an easy out and unscrew it. If itís the cast piece you need to find an aluminum welder.
Lurker
Motovespa 150 sprint
Joined: 18 Feb 2021
Posts: 4
Location: Somerset
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:35 pm quote
It's the aluminum lug on the bottom of the engine - it's snapped completely off. I thought I could get an engineer to fabricate a replacement and bolt if straight on. At that part of the engine casting it must be solid aluminum so could be drilled and threaded.

Any other options?

I'll upload a photograph tomorrow.
Member
66 bluebadge,primavera,2x 74 rally,79 p200e 64 gl 2x 64 vbb 2x ld 57 ld 125
Joined: 08 Dec 2014
Posts: 24

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:07 pm quote
The Bfa Motors have this for the clutch adjustment.https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/counter-bearing-clutch-cable-sip-bfa-engine-rear_11352670?q=Bfa%20chutch%20cable
It might be what you're looking for.
Molto Verboso
Joined: 03 Nov 2011
Posts: 1173
Location: Racing Capital of the World
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:28 pm quote
johnpeterson wrote:
It's the aluminum lug on the bottom of the engine - it's snapped completely off. I thought I could get an engineer to fabricate a replacement and bolt if straight on. At that part of the engine casting it must be solid aluminum so could be drilled and threaded.

Any other options?

I'll upload a photograph tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure what you are talking about is the aluminum "ear," the slack adjuster screws into this.

If this is the case, I would TIG weld up the area, drill the hole, and tap for the slack adjuster.
Lurker
Motovespa 150 sprint
Joined: 18 Feb 2021
Posts: 4
Location: Somerset
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:05 am quote
Photograph
Here is a photo of the damaged lug

IMG_0269.JPG

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: 02 Aug 2015
Posts: 2167
Location: Veria, Greece
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:40 am quote
Have it repaired...
Hooked
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Joined: 24 Jun 2019
Posts: 438
Location: UK - 3rd Rock From the Sun
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:37 am quote
you could drill and weld a bracket on there. BUT

by far and away the best way is to have it built up again with weld then shape it and drill and tap a new thread.
Addicted
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 532
Location: Roseburg, Oregon
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:16 pm quote
GickSpeed wrote:
johnpeterson wrote:
It's the aluminum lug on the bottom of the engine - it's snapped completely off. I thought I could get an engineer to fabricate a replacement and bolt if straight on. At that part of the engine casting it must be solid aluminum so could be drilled and threaded.

Any other options?

I'll upload a photograph tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure what you are talking about is the aluminum "ear," the slack adjuster screws into this.

If this is the case, I would TIG weld up the area, drill the hole, and tap for the slack adjuster.
The ONLY way to do it. Dont waste your time, energy, or money; on any other method. Do it properly.
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 225
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 1448
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:29 pm quote
GeekLion wrote:
GickSpeed wrote:
johnpeterson wrote:
It's the aluminum lug on the bottom of the engine - it's snapped completely off. I thought I could get an engineer to fabricate a replacement and bolt if straight on. At that part of the engine casting it must be solid aluminum so could be drilled and threaded.

Any other options?

I'll upload a photograph tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure what you are talking about is the aluminum "ear," the slack adjuster screws into this.

If this is the case, I would TIG weld up the area, drill the hole, and tap for the slack adjuster.
The ONLY way to do it. Dont waste your time, energy, or money; on any other method. Do it properly.
Could a person weld a nut in there, then clean it up?
Molto Verboso
Joined: 03 Nov 2011
Posts: 1173
Location: Racing Capital of the World
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:49 pm quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
GeekLion wrote:
GickSpeed wrote:
johnpeterson wrote:
It's the aluminum lug on the bottom of the engine - it's snapped completely off. I thought I could get an engineer to fabricate a replacement and bolt if straight on. At that part of the engine casting it must be solid aluminum so could be drilled and threaded.

Any other options?

I'll upload a photograph tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure what you are talking about is the aluminum "ear," the slack adjuster screws into this.

If this is the case, I would TIG weld up the area, drill the hole, and tap for the slack adjuster.
The ONLY way to do it. Dont waste your time, energy, or money; on any other method. Do it properly.
Could a person weld a nut in there, then clean it up?
Only if it's an aluminum nut. but why? why not do it right?
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2285s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0429s) ][ Debug on ]