So where are all our London friends?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:42 pm quote
Well, England in general. Seems eerily quiet. I know johnnymoore is around, but some years back there seemed to be a ton of them. Seems they've dwindled, and even the Skoks seem pretty quiet. I don't know if the huge theft issue has encouraged a lot of moving on to other brands or modes of transport, but that hasn't deterred a lot of other MVers.
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:42 am quote
Yeh it is quiet. Might be pandemic related. London got hit pretty hard around Christmas. I got covid and I know quite a few who had it bad. We are not allowed to go out on our bikes unless it is deemed essential. The weather sucked in February also. Things are looking up though. We have a plan out of lockdown and the weather is improving so I expect there will be new scooterists.
Molto Verboso
150 Sprint Veloce,Vespa GTS 300
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:02 am quote
Yeah, me and Jules both contracted Covid late last year. The weather has been awful for riding, and like johnymoore said, we're not really allowed to go out and about on scooters, or M/bikes unless it's essential.. There's a popular stretch of road in the nearby villages, that's popular for bikers where I live, and the police were stopping bikes at one time, issuing £200 fines ($278.95) for those not deemed "essential"

But we've had good news from Boris, in that he's produced a "roadmap" on getting things back to normality, and hopefully, all being well, be back to normal and all restrictions be lifted by the 21st June...

graham
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:15 am quote
All of my colleagues and friends in London are hibernating and not riding in compliance with the law at the moment. As mentioned above, you can only go out if absolutely essential. Stiff fines if you don't comply.

The theft thing concerning GTS bikes has subsided quite a bit, and mostly it was a London thing when it was at it's height.

Over here we're at the 120,000 dead figure from covid, but there are another 280,000 folks who have been badly affected by the virus, many with life changing injuries that will shorten their lives. It's not just about avoiding death. So it's made many of us jumpy about going out anyway. I've lost 4 of my extended family to covid 19 (the two youngest, very fit and 45 and 56 yrs old) and both my wife and I have had it. Luckily we are ok and we have both been vaccinated now anyway. But the restrictions on riding will remain for some while yet.

Weather today and for the next few days looking great over here!
Molto Verboso
150 Sprint Veloce,Vespa GTS 300
Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:52 am quote
[quote="Stromrider"

Weather today and for the next few days looking great over here![/quote]

Yes, it's very tempting to get the scooter out and blow away a few cobwebs, under the guise of doing the weekly shopping!

Graham
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:28 am quote
...try to feel good, italian tourism awaits many of you ...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
300CC Italian scooter (RIP), 750CC Russian Sidecar,1650CC Bavarian ADV Tourer.
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:09 am quote
Attila wrote:
You also have to think London and England is also missing the tourism dollars as is Toronto and Canada. We're all hurting though yes Italy may rely on it more than most.

I just wish all the best for our friends across the pond. Good luck with the road map, wish we had one.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:06 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Attila wrote:
You also have to think London and England is also missing the tourism dollars as is Toronto and Canada. We're all hurting though yes Italy may rely on it more than most.

I just wish all the best for our friends across the pond. Good luck with the road map, wish we had one.
It was not a selfish consideration, it is a wish for the future. Looking beyond, looking at a normalized future is not bad.
What else can push us forward besides the pure spirit of survival?
I would like to go further with this speech but it risks becoming inevitably also political and here I stop.
Ossessionato
Blue GTS300 Super 2015, White GTS300 Super 2018
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:10 pm quote
We never had such a bad lockdown, but when we did have as lockdown we were allowed out for essential shopping and exercise. So for a while I had to think up essential shopping errands to get out on the scooter. But then our premier Gladys, bless her heart, declared that motorcycle riding was exercise.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:52 pm quote
So, I start this thread, then lose touch with it.

Anyway, glad to hear from everyone that chimed in. Last year was a rough one, and from what I've read this year is still a challenge over there. Sorry for the losses in your family, Stromrider.

Hadn't heard much beyond GB and Italy, though just chatting with an old friend in Germany who's my age i.e. >65, who is still waiting for her first shot.

Stay well, all...
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:08 am quote
The last page of the latest Donk thread started over 12 months ago, and (coincidently?) a few days before lockdown 1 started.

Since then there's been no rallys, rideouts, meet-ups or general chitter chatter.

This last year, a lot of people have had a lot of stuffing kicked out of them, but at least we're still around to gripe about it
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:30 pm quote
Now i'm thinking about my time in Blighty...
…and the generosity folks like Ashford had shown me and Le Wife on a wonderful pub night in 2017. Will never forget that. And I hope they're okay, albeit frustrated by their current situation.

skok01.jpg
The Gang, all there.

skok02.jpg
Outside the Pub: Did I tell y'all about how we won Trivia Night?

skok03.jpg
By Their Sign shall they be known.

Molto Verboso
Honda SH 300
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:16 am quote
London
Well with a bit of luck I'll be back in London sometime this year, all being well, as soon as Malta gets on the green list I'll be there probably around June time so if anyone wants to meet up that would be good....will post up a date nearer the time...keep staying safe ....it aint over till its over...or that fat bird sings..
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3062s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0719s) ][ Debug on ]