MP3 300 Hpe sport (2019) battery
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion

Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:06 pm quote
Hello

I bought a used 300 hpe sport here in London, UK
the previous owner hadn't had much use of it, and had it on a trickle charger.
It rode fine back home and again on another trip of c 2 miles.

I didnt ride for a week after, and the bike wouldn't start - dashboard showed c 10 volts.

I disconnected and charged up the battery, and the bike started fine. I checked the voltage at the terminals (with a multimeter) when running was c 14.5v which i presume means the stator works as well.

I left the bike for a couple days, and now it refuses to start again; 10.5 v on the dashboard.

Now, I presume I need a new battery. The one in the machine is YTZ14BS. The manual doesn't say a specific model, but its got a diagram with a yTX12BS in the picture. There is a specs table at the end that only says 12v with 10Ah.

So ... what battery do I need?
Also, I am just a bit concerned about parasitic leakage. Is there anything specific i should look at before ordering a battery?

thanks!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:08 pm quote
YTX14-BS OR YTX16-BS. Either will do.

Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:03 am quote
ytx-14bs arrived ... but its about an inch taller than my old one!

got to see if it fits....

Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:57 am quote
For what it's worth ..

The YTX14-BS is too tall to fit in the battery compartment. You cannot close the screw on 'lid'.

You can place the lid over the battery , but need longer screws, and it is no longer fully sealed. The seat does close, so there's that.

Will try to return the battery, else its an expensive lesson to check specs carefully
Moderaptor
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:41 pm quote
Is there no underneath battery tray that you can remove?

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:34 pm quote
Unfortunately, there is no tray underneath.
I am returning the YTX for a Motobatt equivalent of the YTZ
Moderaptor
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:18 pm quote
Fraunhofer wrote:
Good luck with that. None of my Motobatts (I tried three) lasted more than a year. After six months of use they all began to self-discharge, eventually not holding enough charge to start after two weeks of standing. Pretty poor for an AGM design.

That all mine suffered in the same way may just be coincidence of course, and perhaps someone daily driving just one scooter wouldn't experience anything like that.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:57 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Fraunhofer wrote:
Good luck with that. None of my Motobatts (I tried three) lasted more than a year. After six months of use they all began to self-discharge, eventually not holding enough charge to start after two weeks of standing. Pretty poor for an AGM design.

That all mine suffered in the same way may just be coincidence of course, and perhaps someone daily driving just one scooter wouldn't experience anything like that.
and I have had just the other experience with motobatt. I don't charge them . let them sit all winter long , might have to put an hour charge on them and fire up the scooters and good to go. buy new ones every 3 years or later.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1487s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0451s) ][ Debug on ]