OP
UTC

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
Just wondering how many of you use the ECO mode on your MP3 500s. Does it make a huge difference in fuel consumption you think. It certainly slows down acceleration...
⚠️ Last edited by PabloLie on UTC; edited 1 time
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Re: To ECO or not?
PabloLie wrote:
Just wondering how many of you use the ECO mode on your MP3 500s. Does it make a huge difference in fuel consumption you think. It certainly slow down acceleration...
that is a choice only you can decide. do a comparison rides, using the same route and with it and with out it.
OP
UTC

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
I haven't found any official Piaggio info on what it does and what impact it has, other than a rather paltry:

".. ECO MODE
The «ECO» mode acts on the mapping of the electronic control unit, with a setting that favours lower consumption compared to the performance.
To activate this mode, with the vehicle at engine idle speed, press the starter button
With the function activated, the message «ECO» will appear on the display.

To go back to the standard riding mode, with the «ECO» function active, press the starter button «U» until the mode appears on the display. .."

I don't think I have seen a dramatic difference in gas consumption. Have others?
UTC

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
UTC quote
I regularly switch between Eco and performance mode when out riding. You can actually change the mode without stopping. Just let go of the throttle, do the switch, then re-engage throttle.

As noted the bike IS significantly more responsive with ECO mode disabled which is especially noticeable when riding in twisty mountain roads.

When comparing fuel consumption it does use a bit more fuel when in "regular" mode vs "eco" but if you are doing longer trips just plan ahead for refueling and refuel often.

I've heard statements of 10% more fuel use on regular vs eco but I have yet to confirm this specifically. It does use more but its largely a function of how aggressive the throttle is used and riding style.

When I made a 300 mile round trip along the coast I ended up using more fuel than anticipated due to having to constantly start, stop, accelerate, go up-hill, down hill, idle, etc due to mixed fast, slow, medium, very-slow, and stopped traffic.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
As an ex-pat Brit I'm constantly surprised by those in the US getting fussed about fuel prices! The average current price in the UK is equivalent to $6.60 per US gallon.
OP
UTC

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
As an ex-pat Brit I'm constantly surprised by those in the US getting fussed about fuel prices! The average current price in the UK is equivalent to $6.60 per US gallon.
Well, in California -in many places- we hover close to the $5 mark... CA also has motorcycle-hostile gas stations that seldom allows us to fill up the tank, and often it's a royal pain to even get SOME gas into our motorcycles because of the stupid design of the damn things.

A 10% has saving basically only extends the operational range with one full gas tank by what, 15 miles, tops? Also, it seems to be an Italian design thing to be quite optimistic about range when you fill up the gas tank ("Signore we have SOOOO much gas now! Molto bono!" to then get increasingly alarmist as you proceed to drive/ride, with the range info going away when you still have 50 miles or so left... (my Italian car does the exact same)....
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0895s ][ Queries: 9 (0.0591s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]