Living in AZ it is often hot
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:39 pm quote
So now that I am retired and planning on living most of any time in AZ, heat is an issue. Wearing protective equipment is certainly a very personal issue that has been discussed many times in many blogs. As all, I have my way of doing it. I always wear a good helmet, I wear armored gloves, an armored jacket, protective boots, and here is where I fall off, I usually just wear jeans, not armored pants. So riding recently, even though it is technically winter, it can be quite hot here. So I am trying to figure out what to do. Helmet is not an option, have to wear it. My gloves are armored and fairly meshed and likely ok. My jacket is the lightest armored jacket I could find with a lot of internet research. It can be removed of liners so actually just mesh and is reflective to reflect the sun and while riding is ok but when sitting at a stop light it gets hot. So my question is any thoughts. I would likely be more comfortable removing the jacket but it also sort of scares me. I could limit my riding to early AM when it is cooler. I am curious it anyone has other ideas.

thanks

larry
2019 Vespa GTS 300
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:29 pm quote
I ride all year round in Houston Texas and our summers are very hot. In summer, I use a mesh jacket, leather work gloves and just street pants and street shoes. I don't want to be hot when I ride as I feel it is a danger to myself to be suffering and exhausted in traffic.

What turned me off about armor (which at one time I used all of it) is finding out no motorcycle cop in the U.S. wears it. The other fact is that surprisingly, armor does not prevent broken bones.

I have racked up a lot of miles on motorcycles and the Vespa and I have come to the conclusion, wearing an ANSI Class 3 safety vest, is the number one piece of equipment you always want to wear. You are visible, day and night, at 1100 feet away, minimum. Just make sure it is Class 3, and not Class 2 or Class 1. The second is a white helmet. Better to prevent an accident than to prepare for one.

And I also don't believe the oft quoted saying that "it's only a matter of time before you have an accident". Harry Hurt, the famous motorcycle safety expert, rode bikes every day until he died at age 82, without ever having an accident. There are other people that have done the same.

Some people know how to ride safely and others don't.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:44 pm quote
joehouston wrote:
I ride all year round in Houston Texas and our summers are very hot. In summer, I use a mesh jacket, leather work gloves and just street pants and street shoes. I don't want to be hot when I ride as I feel it is a danger to myself to be suffering and exhausted in traffic.

What turned me off about armor (which at one time I used all of it) is finding out no motorcycle cop in the U.S. wears it. The other fact is that surprisingly, armor does not prevent broken bones.

I have racked up a lot of miles on motorcycles and the Vespa and I have come to the conclusion, wearing an ANSI Class 3 safety vest, is the number one piece of equipment you always want to wear. You are visible, day and night, at 1100 feet away, minimum. Just make sure it is Class 3, and not Class 2 or Class 1. The second is a white helmet. Better to prevent an accident than to prepare for one.

And I also don't believe the oft quoted saying that "it's only a matter of time before you have an accident". Harry Hurt, the famous motorcycle safety expert, rode bikes every day until he died at age 82, without ever having an accident. There are other people that have done the same.

Some people know how to ride safely and others don't.
Ok so you seem to wear the same equipment I do, and do seem to think the armored jacket, although mesh is important, as I do, but I just don't like being hot. Which jacket do you wear?

larry
2019 Vespa GTS 300
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:09 pm quote
Motoport, made in California. I took out all the armor it had.
Ossessionato
GTS250
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:59 pm quote
In late spring to early fall I'll wear my FirstGear MeshTek jacket, helmet, Aerostich Elk Roper gloves, jeans and boots.. When at stop lights it's hot, it can't be helped. Moving, a mesh jacket is cooler than no jacket.

Give it a couple summers, you'll get used to it. Remember, it's a dry heat, (at least until the monsoons hit.)

Last edited by Syd on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:36 pm quote
I dress as light as possible, short-sleeved T-shirt and vest in (Saharan) canvas, canvas gloves with reinforcements, light jeans, light Adidas shoes and cotton socks, jet helmet, a prayer before leaving.
Hooked
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:15 am quote
Having lived/worked/ridden on Yuma Proving Ground---Aerostich Darien Jacket works up to 90-95 degrees F, Hotter I have mesh jacket...it only gets hot around neck.
Ossessionato
GTS250
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:51 pm quote
I forgot, you haven't seen hot yet.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:57 am quote
Re: Living in AZ it is often hot
LarryMK wrote:
So now that I am retired and planning on living most of any time in AZ, heat is an issue. Wearing protective equipment is certainly a very personal issue that has been discussed many times in many blogs. As all, I have my way of doing it. I always wear a good helmet, I wear armored gloves, an armored jacket, protective boots, and here is where I fall off, I usually just wear jeans, not armored pants. So riding recently, even though it is technically winter, it can be quite hot here. So I am trying to figure out what to do. Helmet is not an option, have to wear it. My gloves are armored and fairly meshed and likely ok. My jacket is the lightest armored jacket I could find with a lot of internet research. It can be removed of liners so actually just mesh and is reflective to reflect the sun and while riding is ok but when sitting at a stop light it gets hot. So my question is any thoughts. I would likely be more comfortable removing the jacket but it also sort of scares me. I could limit my riding to early AM when it is cooler. I am curious it anyone has other ideas.

thanks

larry
I always wear an armored jacket. I always wear a full face helmet, I almost always wear gloves. I almost never wear armored pants. In the summer, I sometimes overheat with my gear on. I have decided to get elbow and knee pads for off-road riding, to protect my joints on days where it's in the 90s and I'm at risk for overheating. I wear an armored vest then too, but do away with the jacket as even the mesh jackets add an additional 4-6 pounds of heat on me. These cover the places armored jackets would, and the knee pads I feel I should be wearing all the time anyway.
Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:10 pm quote
Hot Hot on the Trail
I admit, I am down to a t-shirt and no gloves when it is real hot.
I always wear the helmet. For the total of miles ridden, these super
hot times are few.

After all, this is Frost Bite Falls Minnesota!

We are usually riding in the cold wearing layers.

Bob Copeland

26884679650_2a1d3bf25d_o.jpg
Here is to all you fortunate folks with great weather riding seasons.

Addicted
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:31 pm quote
I make an effort to wear the proper gear, but living in a sub-tropical climate, I have to admit that I have ridden in shorts, solid shoes, a long-sleeve t-shirt, gloves, and a 3/4 helmet at times. Our daughter lives in the Phoenix area, so I am well-aware of what that "dry heat" can be like. A light colored mesh jacket works to about 90ļ; after that it is nearly unbearable.

We don't get to 115ļ like your area, but 90ļ and 90% humidity here feels like someone has thrown a hot wet blanket over you when you step outside. You'll get some idea of that during your monsoon season. There is a reason we get out of here during the summer - in search of a cooler climate with better roads than the flat, straight roads we have locally. At least in AZ, you can get out early on the scoot and make it a point to get back home by 9:00 or 10:00 am. We generally see a 10ļ temperature swing from day to night most of the time.

Undoubtedly, there are going to be days where the sun is pounding and you just don't feel like riding. You can get some relief by heading towards the higher elevations that aren't so far away. You have options.

Friends of ours moved to the Phoenix area 35 years ago. We lived in the frozen northland then, and I remember saying, "It must be great to ride your motorcycle year 'round."

It was April when they moved there, and he said to me, "I burned my ass when I got on my bike after work today!"
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:34 am quote
I live and ride in the Dallas, Texas area. And like others have posted, I ride year round, and it gets hot here.

My usual gear is:
Bell Evo Revolver helmet
Armored gloves (Taichi mesh in summer, Savior [Amazon] heated in winter)
Jacket with armor inserts (mesh in summer, textile in winter - both Taichi)
Boots (high-top sneakers in summer, Timberland knockoffs in winter - both Skecher)
Jeans/khakis

Before I bought the jacket(s), I just did helmet/gloves/boots. It was summer, and my evening commutes sucked. The wind from moving would cause the perspiration to evaporate so quickly that I lost all cooling effects of sweating. And sitting at stop lights was horrible.

I actually felt cooler with the mesh jacket than without. I think it's for two reasons:
1) It kept the sun off my bare skin, thus reducing UV heat and damage
2) It slowed the evaporation rate of the perspiration, thus cooling me more

Add to that the fact that the jacket is mainly white, it absorbs less heat.

Yes, it sucks when stopped at a stop light.

I rode last summer without the jacket (I've gained weight, and it no longer fit). My 30 minute commute home was painful. The sun would beat down on my arms and just cook the skin.
Addicted
GTS 300
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:39 am quote
When it gets real hot ( +110ļF ) in the Valley of the Sun Ė I donít ride.
Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:21 am quote
I have an armored mesh jacket and silver mesh pants from TourMaster that are comfortable sitting in traffic to about 95 degrees. But once moving, I'm fine. Anytime it's over 105 (which happens in Ohio a couple of times a year), I might avoid riding at all.

A light layer of moisture wicking clothes can enhance evaporative cooling. Lots of places carry this type of shirt and shorts and I wear them frequently under my gear when the temps go above 80.

I also use a cooling towel around my neck on hotter days. Soak it in cool water and wrap around the neck - also keeps the sun off as well. I have to soak it again after a couple of hours.

Lastly, douse your chest and back with cool water and put your gear back on with amazing results.

Bottom line - airflow is key to comfort, and that's where light-colored modern mesh can be very beneficial.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:06 pm quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
I have an armored mesh jacket and silver mesh pants from TourMaster that are comfortable sitting in traffic to about 95 degrees. But once moving, I'm fine. Anytime it's over 105 (which happens in Ohio a couple of times a year), I might avoid riding at all.

A light layer of moisture wicking clothes can enhance evaporative cooling. Lots of places carry this type of shirt and shorts and I wear them frequently under my gear when the temps go above 80.

I also use a cooling towel around my neck on hotter days. Soak it in cool water and wrap around the neck - also keeps the sun off as well. I have to soak it again after a couple of hours.

Lastly, douse your chest and back with cool water and put your gear back on with amazing results.

Bottom line - airflow is key to comfort, and that's where light-colored modern mesh can be very beneficial.
And for those who have a high windshield, remove it or put a low one .... or not?
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:51 am quote
Attila wrote:
CrazyCarl wrote:

And for those who have a high windshield, remove it or put a low one .... or not?
I use the stock windshield in the summer, and a Givi 5606A windshield in the winter. The Givi is tall enough that airflow goes around me and my hands. I did put some foam between the windshield and the headlight, because I learned that wind was going around the headlight assembly, and getting routed directly onto my hands. I'd wear heated gloves & use bar mitts, and my hands would still get cold. Then I added the foam, and I didn't need the bar mitts anymore.

The few times I've waited too long to swap out the windshields, the ride has been unbearable in the summer with the taller windshield, as it does such a good job of blocking the wind.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:42 am quote
Even i when i go through Sacramento i am very hot, i imagine being in California bursting with heat.
----> http://italia.indettaglio.it/ita/lazio/latina_sabaudia_sacramento.html

Veni, Vidi, Posti
300CC Italian scooter (RIP), 750CC Russian Sidecar,1650CC Bavarian ADV Tourer.
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:07 am quote
It's up to you what you wear. In really, really hot weather I'll admit I'm guilty of the t-shirt thing on a vespa but feel really naked. True armour will not stop a broken bone but it will help with a lot of other things. I know for a fact If I wasn't wearing an armoured jacket recently and a closed full face I'd be in much worse shape than I am now. As is I'm in PT until at least the fall but thanks to my helmet and jacket it's just for my leg and I'm not looking at reconstructive surgery on my jaw or face and a broken elbow.

We all know what we do comes with risk. Up to you how much of a risk you want to take. I will say I never go out without armour on my K1600 but when I get a new Vespa.. I'm going have to think it through and probably wear at least an armoured mesh jacket no matter how hot. The Ural I'm a bit less afraid of as being knocked over is less of a worry but I'm still not invulnerable and am aware of that.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:18 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
It's up to you what you wear. In really, really hot weather I'll admit I'm guilty of the t-shirt thing on a vespa but feel really naked. True armour will not stop a broken bone but it will help with a lot of other things. I know for a fact If I wasn't wearing an armoured jacket recently and a closed full face I'd be in much worse shape than I am now. As is I'm in PT until at least the fall but thanks to my helmet and jacket it's just for my leg and I'm not looking at reconstructive surgery on my jaw or face and a broken elbow.

We all know what we do comes with risk. Up to you how much of a risk you want to take. I will say I never go out without armour on my K1600 but when I get a new Vespa.. I'm going have to think it through and probably wear at least an armoured mesh jacket no matter how hot. The Ural I'm a bit less afraid of as being knocked over is less of a worry but I'm still not invulnerable and am aware of that.
A friend and her husband recently (early January) ran into a car jack in the road while riding 2-up on their Vespa. They were both wearing half helmets. He had on a leather jacket and jeans (I think they were armored jeans). She had on what looked like a hoodie and leggings, and tall boots (that appeared to be motorcycle-type boots). Neither were wearing gloves.

She broke her jaw, messed up her face, and had other damages too numerous to mention. She blames the scooter, and claims they were wearing proper gear ("helmets and long sleeves"), and "never went over 35mph".
Addicted
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:46 am quote
I ride in full gear in Phoenix. A mesh jacket is the way to go for us. My husband wears his mesh jacket year-round by adding or removing the liner as needed. We purchased perforated Dainese Pro Armor G back protectors to help with the airflow.

When it's 100+ I will put an icepack wrapped in a thin dishtowel under my jacket to help keep my core temp down when at stoplights. Bring a couple in a little soft cooler with your drinks and swap out as needed.

I use a Buff tube-style neck gator over my head like a do-rag. It helps absorb sweat, keeping it from running into my eyes, and helps maintain the helmet lining a bit. http://www.doublegood.co.uk has the Vespa-themed one I use.

A Frogg Toggs Chilly Towel around my neck keeps me cool and protects the back of my neck from sunburn. Wet it every chance you get. To keep the towel from getting musty-smelling between uses, rinse and wring out the towel, stuff it back into the container it came in or a ziplock and stick it in the freezer. When you need it again, run it under water to defrost and it will be fresh and ready to go.

Always have cold water or a sports drink with you and drink more than you think you need. The keyword is COLD. You'd be surprised how fast you dehydrate in our dry climate. Try not to store them in the pet carrier as it becomes quite the oven from the engine heat alone.

Wear sunscreen on all exposed areas of skin and reapply it often. Keep it in the cooler too.

Join us to meet Syd and the rest of the crew! We're always happy to help and go for a ride. https://www.meetup.com/Sonoran-Sunriders-Scooter-Club/
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:33 am quote
monogodo wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

A friend and her husband recently (early January) ran into a car jack in the road while riding 2-up on their Vespa. They were both wearing half helmets. He had on a leather jacket and jeans (I think they were armored jeans). She had on what looked like a hoodie and leggings, and tall boots (that appeared to be motorcycle-type boots). Neither were wearing gloves.

She broke her jaw, messed up her face, and had other damages too numerous to mention. She blames the scooter, and claims they were wearing proper gear ("helmets and long sleeves"), and "never went over 35mph".
Blaming the scooter? Not really an option as taking it out was a choice. Hell I could say that if I was on one of my other bikes the Uber driver would have seen me. I could also say having 850 pounds of Bavarian motorcycle land on top of me would have been worse.

Regardless this thread has gone like every other thread of the sort. This that donít wear gear rarely speak out as they know that really itís not the best choice. Face it we almost all do it from time to time and some all the time. Weíre all adults and itís a weighed risk. Motorcycle police may not be covered in Kevlar but they get a hell of a lot of training and process skills most of us can only dream of. Unfortunately they do also suffer fatalities in crashes and it doesnít take a google search master to find instances of it.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:10 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Face it we almost all do it from time to time and some all the time.
Yes, I'll admit that I've ridden to the convenience store, or to social events at the local park wearing shorts, a t-shirt, Tevas, gloves, and my modular helmet.

Yes, I know that a crash at 25mph (or less) will still hurt and cause damage.
Yes, I know that I am just as likely to crash within a mile of home as I am 15-20 miles from home.
Like you said, it's a choice, and a risk I'm willing to make at that time. My friend and her husband chose to ride with the minimal gear that they had, and paid the price. I also think they had a skewed idea of what proper gear was. I haven't said anything to her about it, because she'll view it as an attack on her, and I don't need that drama.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:55 am quote
I stopped wearing shorts from the age of thirteen ... and since then I only wear jeans (even at my brother and sisters' weddings); when I was a politician and sat on local councils I wore jeans, with a denim bow tie and a denim jacket.
When I go on a scooter I wear a vest or a denim jacket and strictly Adidas jogging shoes (with Meritec socks ... like those of Arsenio Lupine in the cartoons).
Why this review of mine?
Well dear colleagues ... I will stop the clothes of the politician (ex) to wear those of the consummate scooter driver.
Ever since I became aware that the risk of increasing damage due to inappropriate clothing (when I was in the accident that left me disabled for life ...) I tried to increase my degree of protection.
So, for a while I wore something more protective, a few things because here in Italy it seems that the driver of two-wheeled vehicles must have a slim and slender body, there are a few XXXXL sizes (also two other Xs); so I went back to casual clothing.
Today before going out I make a short prayer and I rely on a helmet and gloves also because, dear colleagues, it has been very hot in the summer for a few years, on average 10 į C more ... I can assure you that are many.
Hooked
Bo - midnight blue GT200 R.I.P. Tethys - 300 GTS Titanium
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:53 am quote
spousal independence
I tend toward the middle in gear. Always a helmet. Always gloves, because somehow I feel naked without them. Boots becasue I'm always in my blundstones. Mostly an armored jacket but not always. I too stopped wearing one in the summer when my mesh jacket shrunk for a little while. Full jacket in winter because winter.

I've only recently gotten armored pants. And I know it isn't logical, but I'm driving on the dc beltway daily now and felt armored pants were in order.

A few years back I got rear-ended and all of our friends asked my wife if she was going to let me ride again. Her response was always that I'm a grownup and make that decision for myself.

She does have one 'rule' however. I must always wear a helmet, the rest is optional.

Because 'if you're stupid enough to not wear gear then I want your head protected so you feel every millimeter of skin that you leave on the road.'

She loves me!!!
Enthusiast
Liberty 150
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 pm quote
I've put in quite a few miles in the heat
The question is How much road rash can I stand today?
Always a full face helmet, anything less is not "proper" safety gear, I like my chin
Boots is a broad term, my minimum must cover my ankle bones
Long pants, light colors aren't usually thick, proper riding pants seem to be black or grey
I like long sleeve western shirts, thin, only protect from the sun
My new out fit is a white jean jacket, dyed aqua & welding pants,
The pants are thick jeans, prolly slide ok
The gloves goatskin, with attached reflective webbing on the cuff

P1020925.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:23 am quote
You can also wear knee and elbow pads, it is important that the jacket can be closed.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:33 am quote
Attila wrote:
You can also wear knee and elbow pads, it is important that the jacket can be closed.
I dunno..... Garthhhh has got one sexy look going there. Meh I have everything from a full BMW Rallye suit to 2 or 3 Revit mesh jackets and everything in between. Itís what you put on when you get on the bike that matters most. Oh and yeah I spend way too much money on gear. My wife was not happy my one jacket is a write off for insurance but still wearable. So that means one more jacket in the house as of course Iíll buy a new one. Think insurance will pay up to about $700 for the replacement. Revit doesnít make it anymore so itíll have to be something else
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:09 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Attila wrote:
I dunno..... Garthhhh has got one sexy look going there. Meh I have everything from a full BMW Rallye suit to 2 or 3 Revit mesh jackets and everything in between. Itís what you put on when you get on the bike that matters most. Oh and yeah I spend way too much money on gear. My wife was not happy my one jacket is a write off for insurance but still wearable. So that means one more jacket in the house as of course Iíll buy a new one. Think insurance will pay up to about $700 for the replacement. Revit doesnít make it anymore so itíll have to be something else
Allow me to ask a question that concerns you: how important was your clothing in reducing the damage of your disastrous accident?
A percentage judgment for each piece of clothing would be welcome.
Enthusiast
Liberty 150
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:08 am quote
I have a much higher level of protective gear in the form of a car...

I'm going for not black & being covered from the sun more than anything
Single layers of denim offer limited protection
Any layers are quite a bit better than none

I've hit the ground a bunch in the dirt & a few times on the pavement
In the dirt the more protective gear the faster you can crash without serious effect, which leads to riding like you are invincible & the inevitable not so hilarious hyjinks ensue that I am far too old to survive

Dirt taught me never give up when it goes wrong & you seem to be heading for a crash, keep it pointed for the softest thing possible [open road]
The hardest thing is a big truck coming in the opposite direction
Straighten up, brake hard or get off the brakes & turn hard

On the street, getting geared up is different the potential of a fatal encounter with another motorist is ever present
I'm trying to up my game some, it may be sometime until I get to full ricky racer, kneepucks & all
The selection of gear in adult sizes is limited & for the most part painfully drab
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:36 pm quote
Attila wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Attila wrote:
Allow me to ask a question that concerns you: how important was your clothing in reducing the damage of your disastrous accident?
Simple, where is wasnít wearing gear I got banged up real good. Where I had gear on... I have a bump on my elbow.

A cage is great gear, donít have one nor want one while I live in the city and even after will rarely use one.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:23 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Attila wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Attila wrote:
Simple, where is wasnít wearing gear I got banged up real good. Where I had gear on... I have a bump on my elbow.

A cage is great gear, donít have one nor want one while I live in the city and even after will rarely use one.
Sorry, i did not want to sound intrusive but I think that negative experiences can raise awareness of others ... so yes, in your own way you are useful as a demonstrative example and here is the reason for the question.
(I'm embarassed... )
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:30 am quote
Attila wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Attila wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Attila wrote:

Sorry, i did not want to sound intrusive but I think that negative experiences can raise awareness of others ... so yes, in your own way you are useful as a demonstrative example and here is the reason for the question.
(I'm embarassed... )
Bah, think nothing of it. This question has come up a lot here and my opinion hasn't changed "that" much. It has maybe brought the subject more attention and that really isn't a bad thing. Would I prefer to not have had a car blind side me and run in to my leg? Yep... Over the years we've had more than a few members post about going down and for the most part those in gear have faired better where the gear was worn. It's a risk we all take and as adults should be smart enough to know it. You roll the dice, you take your chances. Hot weather complicates things but you're still playing craps with the same set of dice.
FWIW this (plus FF , gloves) is as geared up as I get but I don't see myself wearing it on the my next Vespa.

IMG_2644.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:27 am quote
Hey ... it's the first time I've seen your face and full figure!
You are a very sturdy and important type...more from Ural than for Vespa.
Addicted
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:10 pm quote
Attila wrote:
Hey ... it's the first time I've seen your face and full figure!
You are a very sturdy and important type...more from Ural than for Vespa.
I'm thinking more for riding the BMW than the Ural.

The bike we're riding does influence our gear choices (well, for me). In the 80s, I switched from Harleys to a BMW... and found myself wearing a helmet on the BMW. Yeah, I know. That BMW only stayed around for a year and a half before I bought another Harley. No helmet (part of that indestructible thing on the HD). Next decade, we had a couple Goldwings with color-matched helmets. Then, back to a couple more Harleys, but I did discover (age with wisdom) that a helmet was a good idea. I always wore gloves and boots. Then, another BMW, and I switched from Harley leather jackets to a BMW jacket with armor (still have it, it even still fits). More wisdom: even after moving from the BMW to a V-Strom, I stayed with more protective riding gear. I stopped wearing riding pants with armor until this thread. As I get older, it just takes longer to heal... and I know I am not indestructible.

I know what you're thinking, Attila: "Jim, you aren't that old." What can I say: I'm psychic... or psychotic... it's one of those phsyc things. (This probably isn't going to translate well, but this last part is a joke. I can't help myself.)
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:29 pm quote
Captain Jim wrote:
I know what you're thinking, Attila: "Jim, you aren't that old." What can I say: I'm psychic... or psychotic... it's one of those phsyc things. (This probably isn't going to translate well, but this last part is a joke. I can't help myself.)
Oh Jim, I don't know you well enough and therefore would never allow myself to pass judgment ... but yes, the joke was understood and appreciated; the ironic and playful aspects are in our culture of central and southern Italy (ask Bob C.) linked to the warm climate and the exuberance of character. I in particular, who come from parents originally from northern Italy but born and raised in the south, together with friends from Calabria, Naples and Sicily have an exaggerated character and expressiveness.
Addicted
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:12 am quote
Attila wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
Oh Jim, I don't know you well enough and therefore would never allow myself to pass judgment ... but yes, the joke was understood and appreciated; the ironic and playful aspects are in our culture of central and southern Italy (ask Bob C.) linked to the warm climate and the exuberance of character. I in particular, who come from parents originally from northern Italy but born and raised in the south, together with friends from Calabria, Naples and Sicily have an exaggerated character and expressiveness.
Um... I think you forgot to mention the part about me not being that old.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:20 am quote
Captain Jim wrote:
Attila wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
Your just a young pup Jim

Yes, that outfit is for the BMW, I'd feel a bit "off" wearing it on the Ural. For long freeway runs (over a few hours on the slab) I will wear the Rallye pants but put on my Sand 3 jacket. Same protection as the BMW jacket but less BMW.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:15 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
Attila wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:

Yes, that outfit is for the BMW, I'd feel a bit "off" wearing it on the Ural. For long freeway runs (over a few hours on the slab) I will wear the Rallye pants but put on my Sand 3 jacket. Same protection as the BMW jacket but less BMW.
To go to on the Ural you should dress up as a cossack.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:55 am quote
Attila wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
Attila wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:

Except I have this thing called fashion sense.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:43 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Attila wrote:
Except I have this thing called fashion sense.
Oh, I don't know. The look has something to be said for it.

Cossak.jpg

DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.4846s ][ Queries: 65 (0.2012s) ][ Debug on ]