OP
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
UTC quote
I took my 300 HPE for its first service recently. I asked if they had greased the bearings (to prevent the notch) - they said no as they were hard to get to etc and that it wasn't part of the first service. I think I was fed some BS there as they are not hard to get to, based on the pictures I have seen. However, is it correct that the first service does not involve greasing these bearings?
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
Piaggio Doesn't mention any greasing of bearing in the workshopmanual for service intervals

But it shows that the shop you went to doesn't know the mp3 Shops that sell and work on them a lot do it as a service it will save them a warranty repair Razz emoticon
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
UTC quote
Thanks for that. This was the main dealer in the area! Looks like I'll be finding somewhere else.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
It's an easy DIY - from Piaggio just buy the special bolt that has a Zerk fitting, and one by one over the four bolts top and bottom of each leg (IIRC) replace with the new one in turn, pumping grease in until it oozes out of the nearest bearing.
UTC

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
It's an easy DIY - from Piaggio just buy the special bolt that has a Zerk fitting, and one by one over the four bolts top and bottom of each leg (IIRC) replace with the new one in turn, pumping grease in until it oozes out of the nearest bearing.
Is this the Zerk fitting in question? Does it need to be an exact match to the Mp3 or is it a generic part across all Mp3 series?

https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/030-piaggio/piaggio-mp3-tool-with-grease-fitting-020943y

Its a bit expensive but I'm considering having it installed at the next major service for my bike as an investment in the future.

Also.

Folks, if "buy this" is the solution, please include the part-number or vendor/dealer URL to the part. Allot of us beginners struggle to zero in on the correct part from a good vendor OR have trouble digging through old forum posts.

http://ec2-50-18-170-78.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/forum/topic155737
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
pinheadh78 wrote:
jimc wrote:
Is this the Zerk fitting in question? Does it need to be an exact match to the Mp3 or is it a generic part across all Mp3 series?

https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/030-piaggio/piaggio-mp3-tool-with-grease-fitting-020943y

Its a bit expensive but I'm considering having it installed at the next major service for my bike as an investment in the future.
That's it - you just need one.
Quote:
Also.

Folks, if "buy this" is the solution, please include the part-number or vendor/dealer URL to the part. Allot of us beginners struggle to zero in on the correct part from a good vendor OR have trouble digging through old forum posts.
So as well as giving you a clue we should do your searches for you? Well thank you very much. Better perhaps to give the direct MV link:
Bolt With Grease Fitting
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
UTC quote
Thanks!
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
Re: First service
imadequavers wrote:
I took my 300 HPE for its first service recently. I asked if they had greased the bearings (to prevent the notch) - they said no as they were hard to get to etc and that it wasn't part of the first service. I think I was fed some BS there as they are not hard to get to, based on the pictures I have seen. However, is it correct that the first service does not involve greasing these bearings?
That happened with me too, with a Piaggio Dealership, when I asked him about greasing the bearing as part of the service they do, the staff stated yes, when I sent it for service, they did not do it, upon asking why, they stated it is a separate job and it will cost a lot, it was the last time I sent it ,and I left a negative review on this dealership.

Be careful, a lot of people just BS....
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
UTC quote
abcdef wrote:
That happened with me too, with a Piaggio Dealership, when I asked him about greasing the bearing as part of the service they do, the staff stated yes, when I sent it for service, they did not do it, upon asking why, they stated it is a separate job and it will cost a lot, it was the last time I sent it ,and I left a negative review on this dealership.

Be careful, a lot of people just BS....
Did you then do it yourself or did you get someone else to do it?
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
imadequavers wrote:
Did you then do it yourself or did you get someone else to do it?
I did not do the greasing service (topping up the grease in the required places), I did not do it as I did not know how to do it and then I took it to other dealership and did the major bearing service which is changing the bearing and related parts, but now I am going to do the bolt needed to do the greasing and I will grease myself.
I recommend that if you want do the steering bearing service which is changing the bearing etc.... to let the dealership to do it as they are qualified to do it. A person may know how to do some aspects of it, but if anything is done wrong they will not know and it will be your life as you are riding it. But for the topping up the grease, if you are handy, it is a very basic job and you can do it.
Good luck.
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
imadequavers wrote:
They are saying yes, it takes time to get to the bolts to remove to grease them, you need to take off most of the front fairings to have free movement, but if you try to do it while having the fairings on, it will be hard to do and not worth it (from a mechanic point of view and I am not a mechanic- time is money to a mechanic).
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
The whole job takes less than 1 hour for a dealer or trained mechanic to do start to finish, including fairing removal.

I use a car ramp to get the MP3 tilting mechanism as extended as possible.

Lubing all 4 bearings is a 10 minute deal then since I don't need to remove the fairing. Removing the grease that squeezed out from the bearings takes the most time since you can only access the front half.
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
sbaert wrote:
The whole job takes less than 1 hour for a dealer or trained mechanic to do start to finish, including fairing removal.

I use a car ramp to get the MP3 tilting mechanism as extended as possible.

Lubing all 4 bearings is a 10 minute deal then since I don't need to remove the fairing. Removing the grease that squeezed out from the bearings takes the most time since you can only access the front half.
Not every mechanic does want to do the job as fast and good as possible, one of the dealers (whom I mentioned above that told me it is a separate job), had a person (not calling a mechanic) as snails were faster than him in working, walking with extra slow motion.... as he charges by the hour, that is one mistake in life taking my scooter to him.
Do you have to remove the grease or topping it up when you do that service? I was informed to top it up only but no one mentioned to change the grease, if to change the grease how do you do it?
thanks,
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
abcdef wrote:
Not every mechanic does want to do the job as fast and good as possible, one of the dealers (whom I mentioned above that told me it is a separate job), had a person (not calling a mechanic) as snails were faster than him in working, walking with extra slow motion.... as he charges by the hour, that is one mistake in life taking my scooter to him.
Do you have to remove the grease or topping it up when you do that service? I was informed to top it up only but no one mentioned to change the grease, if to change the grease how do you do it?
thanks,
Just shove new grease in until some old grease comes out the bearings. Done.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
One more thing, greasing the headstock bearings should be part of the normal service schedule, ideally every 5K - max 10K km intervals or whenever doing a oil change.

The headstock bearings are the grief of the MP3, and if the bike never had its initial 1K service done which includes readjustment of said bearings have it done asap and then just keep regreasing at the stated intervals.

No idea why Piaggio does not include this in their manual, but I'll rack that up to their lack of care in the same manner their manual states the incorrect engine oil fill capacity.
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
sbaert wrote:
One more thing, greasing the headstock bearings should be part of the normal service schedule, ideally every 5K - max 10K km intervals or whenever doing a oil change.

The headstock bearings are the grief of the MP3, and if the bike never had its initial 1K service done which includes readjustment of said bearings have it done asap and then just keep regreasing at the stated intervals.

No idea why Piaggio does not include this in their manual, but I'll rack that up to their lack of care in the same manner their manual states the incorrect engine oil fill capacity.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0968s ][ Queries: 20 (0.0668s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]