First service
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Member
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
Joined: 22 Aug 2020
Posts: 15
Location: Croydon
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:24 pm quote
I took my 300 HPE for its first service recently. I asked if they had greased the bearings (to prevent the notch) - they said no as they were hard to get to etc and that it wasn't part of the first service. I think I was fed some BS there as they are not hard to get to, based on the pictures I have seen. However, is it correct that the first service does not involve greasing these bearings?
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 4264
Location: Netherlands Olst
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:55 am quote
Piaggio Doesn't mention any greasing of bearing in the workshopmanual for service intervals

But it shows that the shop you went to doesn't know the mp3 Shops that sell and work on them a lot do it as a service it will save them a warranty repair
Member
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
Joined: 22 Aug 2020
Posts: 15
Location: Croydon
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:26 am quote
Thanks for that. This was the main dealer in the area! Looks like I'll be finding somewhere else.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 39463
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:00 pm quote
It's an easy DIY - from Piaggio just buy the special bolt that has a Zerk fitting, and one by one over the four bolts top and bottom of each leg (IIRC) replace with the new one in turn, pumping grease in until it oozes out of the nearest bearing.
Enthusiast
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Joined: 28 Jul 2019
Posts: 61
Location: California
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:13 am quote
jimc wrote:
It's an easy DIY - from Piaggio just buy the special bolt that has a Zerk fitting, and one by one over the four bolts top and bottom of each leg (IIRC) replace with the new one in turn, pumping grease in until it oozes out of the nearest bearing.
Is this the Zerk fitting in question? Does it need to be an exact match to the Mp3 or is it a generic part across all Mp3 series?

https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/030-piaggio/piaggio-mp3-tool-with-grease-fitting-020943y

Its a bit expensive but I'm considering having it installed at the next major service for my bike as an investment in the future.

Also.

Folks, if "buy this" is the solution, please include the part-number or vendor/dealer URL to the part. Allot of us beginners struggle to zero in on the correct part from a good vendor OR have trouble digging through old forum posts.

http://ec2-50-18-170-78.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/forum/topic155737
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 39463
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:57 am quote
pinheadh78 wrote:
jimc wrote:
It's an easy DIY - from Piaggio just buy the special bolt that has a Zerk fitting, and one by one over the four bolts top and bottom of each leg (IIRC) replace with the new one in turn, pumping grease in until it oozes out of the nearest bearing.
Is this the Zerk fitting in question? Does it need to be an exact match to the Mp3 or is it a generic part across all Mp3 series?

https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/030-piaggio/piaggio-mp3-tool-with-grease-fitting-020943y

Its a bit expensive but I'm considering having it installed at the next major service for my bike as an investment in the future.
That's it - you just need one.
Quote:
Also.

Folks, if "buy this" is the solution, please include the part-number or vendor/dealer URL to the part. Allot of us beginners struggle to zero in on the correct part from a good vendor OR have trouble digging through old forum posts.
So as well as giving you a clue we should do your searches for you? Well thank you very much. Better perhaps to give the direct MV link:
Bolt With Grease Fitting
Member
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
Joined: 22 Aug 2020
Posts: 15
Location: Croydon
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:47 am quote
Thanks!
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 119
Location: Sydney
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:20 am quote
Re: First service
imadequavers wrote:
I took my 300 HPE for its first service recently. I asked if they had greased the bearings (to prevent the notch) - they said no as they were hard to get to etc and that it wasn't part of the first service. I think I was fed some BS there as they are not hard to get to, based on the pictures I have seen. However, is it correct that the first service does not involve greasing these bearings?
That happened with me too, with a Piaggio Dealership, when I asked him about greasing the bearing as part of the service they do, the staff stated yes, when I sent it for service, they did not do it, upon asking why, they stated it is a separate job and it will cost a lot, it was the last time I sent it ,and I left a negative review on this dealership.

Be careful, a lot of people just BS....
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2341s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0461s) ][ Debug on ]