Dead bike—advice welcome
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
2008 LXV 150
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:54 am quote
Hi, all. I haven't been on this forum for a while. I hope you're all well. I'm looking for your thoughts about my bike, please...

I have a 2008 Vespa LXV150. About 46K miles on it.
I haven't ridden on it regularly since before Covid. Since then it has sat for a year in a cold garage including over the winter.

A year ago the battery had been running out on and off. The last time I tried turning it over I couldn't... it would make wheezing sounds but never turned. Today I had used a Battery Tender Jr to charge it overnight to about an 80% charge. When I tried to start it up the lights came on for a second, but that was it—it went blank... no lights, no sound, nothing happening. I am pretty sure there is gas in it, though it would be a year old.

I'm in upstate NY near Kerhonkson and there are no mechanics up here who specialize in Vespas or scooters that I've found.

Any/all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:56 am quote
Take the battery to check, perhaps it has run out or has an element out of order.
Hooked
PX200
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:04 pm quote
Recharge the battery to 100%, then reconnect it, doing the bolts tightly... Don't give it a light connection... I got a multimeter recently and checking everything in sight for the craic.. maybe borrow one and ensure that your battery is holding the charge. Sorry, I'm by no means competent at this stuff, but went through something similar recently.

In theory it could be just a dead battery, which is a cheap enough replacement... But best to go through the motions before spending money... In case it doesn't need to be spent.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:07 pm quote
Wise words.

Reading this topic is perhaps also useful:

2013 GTV 300 won't start or even turn over
Hooked
Vespa Sprint 150ABS
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:27 pm quote
The battery tender won’t charge a deeply discharged battery. It’s meant for maintaining the charge on a healthy battery. When my Sprint battery went south recently I had the same symptoms as you are experiencing. Lights on for a few seconds but not enough juice to to anything else. Get yourself a fresh battery online or locally. You won’t need a shop. Easy install with lots of online help to get you through it.
Enthusiast
2008 LXV 150
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:07 am quote
Thanks, all. I will get a new battery and see if that does it.
Molto Verboso
2013 GTS300ie
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:48 am quote
fergy wrote:
The battery tender won’t charge a deeply discharged battery. It’s meant for maintaining the charge on a healthy battery. When my Sprint battery went south recently I had the same symptoms as you are experiencing. Lights on for a few seconds but not enough juice to to anything else. Get yourself a fresh battery online or locally. You won’t need a shop. Easy install with lots of online help to get you through it.
I don't have any experience with dead and dying batteries in the scoot, but I do have some experience on my BMW's over the pst 25 years.
Aside from loose connections to the battery, I find that the earth cable is often the culprit - check where it connects to the chassis / motor.

I have three different brand battery chargers and I have had some success on rehabilitating deeply discharged ones on the R80 / R100 models. I disconnect completely, remove the battery and check + top up the battery fluid. Then I attach my Optimate 3+ and let it go to work. I leave it connected for 24 hrs and then disconnect. I let it stand for 24 hours and do another charge.

If the second charge doesn't sort it, then I replace the battery.
Hooked
Bo - midnight blue GT200 R.I.P. Tethys - 300 GTS Titanium
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:59 am quote
Quote:
I disconnect completely, remove the battery and check + top up the battery fluid. Then I attach my Optimate 3+ and let it go to work. I leave it connected for 24 hrs and then disconnect. I let it stand for 24 hours and do another charge.

If the second charge doesn't sort it, then I replace the battery.
Interesting, what happens with the 24 hour wait and then charge again? I've got a wheelchair van that frequently sucks the battery dry. We have the deep discharge batteries but sometimes that isn't enough. I've never done a pause plus second charge though.

Kim
Enthusiast
2008 LXV 150
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:02 am quote
Hi, all. Here’s an update:

I replaced the battery and the spark plug (my first! It was a challenge). When I tried to start up the bike it turned over and started running. I rejoiced. I turned it off. A little while later I tried again—it started to start up but when I released the throttle it would stop. A few moments later I tried again and it wouldn’t even turn over. Then there was a smell of gas (I probably flooded it). After that, when I tried again, the engine would whir but not engage. Game over.

I finally found a mechanic in my area but I’d have to pay an arm/leg to get the bike over there. If this is an easy fix I’d rather do it myself.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
300 GTS supertech HPE

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:39 am quote
pull the plugg, and clean it...try again.
Addicted
1980 Honda Twinstar and 2004 Yamaha V Star
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:27 am quote
Yellow300GTS wrote:
pull the plugg, and clean it...try again.
And, be sure to charge the battery. Just because it is new does not mean it is fully charged.
Hooked
PX200
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:59 am quote
I'll reiterate... Make sure the connections on the battery are tight
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:53 pm quote
Greetings:

The gas smell suggests your carb is gummed. The float needle is the prime suspect. If you're handy a carb disassembly and thorough cleaning will be necessary. There are threads for how-to.
The failure to restart suggests the new battery wasn't fully charged. They hardly ever are out of the box. Running it just a short while at idle and prolonged cranking depletes it further. A full charge should fix the no-crank issue. Good luck!
Hooked
2012 LX150ie
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:53 am quote
You really need to get rid of the old gas at a minimum, drain the carb and replace it with new. ear-old gas is no bueno.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1363s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0405s) ][ Debug on ]