EZ Pass Holder ??
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Posts: 302
Location: NJ
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:43 pm quote
EZ Pass in NYC is going to start fining/charging a higher rate if your ezpass is not mounted to the windscreen. I've got the smaller, newer transponder. It won't stick on (I've tried three different times), and I'm not sure how others have mounted it up to now. Please help with suggestions/products! I've tried on other areas by the tachometer, but there's not a flat area in there. Please help, thank you!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6372
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:53 pm quote
Illinois IPASS has a transponder you can screw onto your rear license plate bracket.
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 1758
Location: Adelaide
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:00 pm quote
Leave it in your jacket pocket.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 39463
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:02 pm quote
You can get magnetic ones apparently. https://www.google.com/search?q=magnetic+ezpass+holder
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 3287
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:14 pm quote
What are you supposed to do if your motorcycle does not have a windscreen?
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Posts: 302
Location: NJ
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:22 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
What are you supposed to do if your motorcycle does not have a windscreen?
Good question; My guess is they use the holders transfixed to the handlebars but it's not an option with my ride. :/

My jacket only has pockets on the side, not the arm and I don't think it'll get picked up, so then I'll be stuck with the fine.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 3287
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:28 pm quote
Will it mount to a mirror?
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 3287
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:35 pm quote
How about this?

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic100385?highlight=bv350+ram+mount

or this

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic143046?highlight=bv350+ram+mount

Attach the transponder to a RAM GPS or phone holder.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 3287
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 pm quote
3M makes a product called Dual Lock reclosable fastener that's like heavy duty Velcro. Its super sticky adhesive should stick tight to your windscreen and the transponder. It comes in black and clear, and you can find smaller pieces of it it in hardware stores.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fastener/dp/B007OXK1AK
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Posts: 302
Location: NJ
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:08 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
3M makes a product called Dual Lock reclosable fastener that's like heavy duty Velcro. Its super sticky adhesive should stick tight to your windscreen and the transponder. It comes in black and clear, and you can find smaller pieces of it it in hardware stores.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fastener/dp/B007OXK1AK
I bought this exact thing today. Iím going to wash the scooter good weekend and try again. It wasnít sticking when i tried that.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 3287
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:11 pm quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
3M makes a product called Dual Lock reclosable fastener that's like heavy duty Velcro. Its super sticky adhesive should stick tight to your windscreen and the transponder. It comes in black and clear, and you can find smaller pieces of it it in hardware stores.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fastener/dp/B007OXK1AK
I bought this exact thing today. Iím going to wash the scooter good weekend and try again. It wasnít sticking when i tried that.
It may help to clean the surfaces with alcohol. Beware -- the Dual Lock will probably leave a permanent mark on a plastic windscreen!
Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, VNX1T, V9B1T
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 2906
Location: Staten Island, NY
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:16 pm quote
I bought this a few years ago.

https://www.blackbeardsgear.com/online-store/Toll-Pass-Motorcycle-Holder-p111638996
Enthusiast
í20 GTS 300 hpe
Joined: 28 Sep 2019
Posts: 91
Location: NYC
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:20 pm quote
I am using the hook and loop strips I had requested from E-ZPass (free of charge) for my newer style tag, which is securely mounted to the inside of a short screen.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Posts: 302
Location: NJ
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:26 pm quote
giallo wrote:
I am using the hook and loop strips I had requested from E-ZPass (free of charge) for my newer style tag, which is securely mounted to the inside of a short screen.
Do you have any pics?
Addicted
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 507
Location: Norfolk, VA
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:45 am quote
I leave the EZPass transponder in the front glove box on the Liberty and the other EZ is in the upper cubby on the Silverwing. They always register for me. But my friend took a lanyard and made a EZPass holder. I know another motorcycle rider who made a wrist wrap holder outta velcro. I always wear my safety vest and used to put it on the badge holder, but mine work in their hidden locatios so far. Why can't EZPass just do the pay by plate at the EZ rate like they used to?
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Posts: 302
Location: NJ
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:03 am quote
sc00ter wrote:
I leave the EZPass transponder in the front glove box on the Liberty and the other EZ is in the upper cubby on the Silverwing. They always register for me. But my friend took a lanyard and made a EZPass holder. I know another motorcycle rider who made a wrist wrap holder outta velcro. I always wear my safety vest and used to put it on the badge holder, but mine work in their hidden locatios so far. Why can't EZPass just do the pay by plate at the EZ rate like they used to?
Oh, they do! But if it's not properly mounted, I get charged more. So, basically, a penalty. If it's toll by mail, it's a higher rate (per their website, going into effect on Monday).
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Joined: 27 Sep 2019
Posts: 391
Location: San Francisco
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:01 am quote
That's literally the Handleband. It's designed to hold a cell phone on a bicycle - I think it was a Kickstarter. You can probably find one at a local hardware store or bike shop.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 2833
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:16 am quote
Re: EZ Pass Holder ??
Karlsbadd wrote:
EZ Pass in NYC is going to start fining/charging a higher rate if your ezpass is not mounted to the windscreen. I've got the smaller, newer transponder. It won't stick on (I've tried three different times), and I'm not sure how others have mounted it up to now. Please help with suggestions/products! I've tried on other areas by the tachometer, but there's not a flat area in there. Please help, thank you!!
What does the new transponder look like?

This is an issue for me as well: whatever pocket I end up putting the thing in, it registers in some toll stations but not others. Last time I used an industrial-strength Velcro setup, I hit a depression in the road hard enough to lose the transponder.
Addicted
S150, Beo 500ie
Joined: 14 Aug 2019
Posts: 541
Location: Bermuda
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:58 pm quote
I thought I was in good shape by putting the transponder in the chest pocket of my riding jacket, but nope - after three rides this week the Henry Hudson Bridge read two out of three southbound, and zero out of three northbound. Might have to go with the stupid shoulder band.

Iím guessing a lot of errors, or maybe fraud, was going on with the license plate readers - turning 3s into 8s, for example - so theyíre incentivizing a return to the transponders. An annoying step back to the early 2000s technology.
Enthusiast
í20 GTS 300 hpe
Joined: 28 Sep 2019
Posts: 91
Location: NYC
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:34 pm quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
giallo wrote:
I am using the hook and loop strips I had requested from E-ZPass (free of charge) for my newer style tag, which is securely mounted to the inside of a short screen.
Do you have any pics?


velcro strips to secure ez pass on vespa.jpg
Velcro strips on Vespa to secure EZPass tag.

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 2833
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:03 pm quote
I might have found a solution (at least for someone like me with a windscreen):

https://www.ebay.com/c/2255529030
Enthusiast
í20 GTS 300 hpe
Joined: 28 Sep 2019
Posts: 91
Location: NYC
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:22 pm quote
amateriat wrote:
I might have found a solution (at least for someone like me with a windscreen):

https://www.ebay.com/c/2255529030
You can save yourself the expense. E-Zpass will send you the hook and loop strips for free.

It's not like ordinary velcro, the tag mounts securely to the windscreen and with thousands of miles with this set-up (see the image above, strips to the right of the Beeline navigation unit), I can tell you that the mounting is NYC area rough road proof.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 2833
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:40 pm quote
giallo wrote:
amateriat wrote:
I might have found a solution (at least for someone like me with a windscreen):

https://www.ebay.com/c/2255529030
You can save yourself the expense. E-Zpass will send you the hook and loop strips for free.

It's not like ordinary velcro, the tag mounts securely to the windscreen and with thousands of miles with this set-up (see the image above, strips to the right of the Beeline navigation unit), I can tell you that the mounting is NYC area rough road proof.
HmmÖwell, I ordered the thing already, so we'll see.

In fact, before I had the windscreen, I Velcro'd the thing to the underside of the handlebar housing; this worked for a while, but (1) it still was hit-or-miss with certain toll stations, and (2) I eventually hit a Ceres-class pothole which dislodged the transponder and jettisoned it who-knows-where. Now that I have the Flyscreen, we'll see hw things go.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 2833
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:41 pm quote
Making It a Bit More "EZ"
Admittedly, this is a bit more involved that giallo's setup, but (1) this one doesn't require anything chemically adhesive to the windscreen, which I waned to avoid, and (2)I have the option to pull the thing off and place it anywhere else on the screen as I see fit. But, if you've got something that already works for you, stick to it!

melodyEZpass01.jpg
EZ Pass Holder, *sans* Tag: Three suction cups hold it to the screen, and seem quite tenacious to that end.

melodyEZpass02.jpg
EZ Pass Holder, with Tag: The holder comes with a set of closed-cell adhesive-foam strips to prevent the tag from rattling around in the holder; I embellished this with a single adhesive rubber dot.

melodyEZpass04.jpg
EZ Pass holder, Front View

melodyEZpass05jpg.jpg
EZ Pass Tag, Embellished: There's only one small problem wit this setup: it's simple to pop the tag in, but not to get it back out. Solution: a pull-tab attached to the left side. I chose to use a length of Brother P-Touch tape, which also allowed me to



Last edited by amateriat on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
S150, Beo 500ie
Joined: 14 Aug 2019
Posts: 541
Location: Bermuda
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:02 pm quote
I hope those suction cups withstand external conditions and adherence to the plexi (as opposed to glass).

My experience has been that they work well...until they donít.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 2833
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:14 pm quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
I hope those suction cups withstand external conditions and adherence to the plexi (as opposed to glass).

My experience has been that they work well...until they donít.
These particular cups seem to be quite compliant, but I'll be checking them every few weeks or so to make certain. Also, they're not having to hold something particularly heavy.
Member
Joined: 26 Dec 2020
Posts: 24
Location: Brooklyn/NYC
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:01 am quote
prob not super helpful but looked at a used vespa that had a easy pass box screwed on the left knee pad on the leg shield. not sure where it came from though.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3254s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0540s) ][ Debug on ]