OP
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
So a friend sends me a link to a 2020 MP3 with only 30 miles on it. From Cycle Trader, listed in Virginia by a private seller. Asking $7500. It was dropped on BOTH sides, extra good rash on the left side. I know the fender well trim is made to take the damage and is not that expensive on AF1s site but the inner rash on the leg shield says cash at speed to me. Was tempted to look at it until I saw it was dropped on both sides. But look it up and weep as I don't know how to post links.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
How hard is it to drop an MP3? The MP3 is a heavy scooter. For inexperienced riders who are expecting the tilt lock and dual front wheels to keep the bike upright under a range of conditions, I'd say it is pretty easy to drop one.
UTC

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
UTC quote
What follows is my own experience with the Mp3 as my first and only bike. I bought it in 2018 with no prior experience owning or riding a motorcycle (especially a big 570Lb bike) beyond my basic license training course.

The Mp3 is an awesome bike and does have some unique risks but nothing that a little practice and experience cannot mitigate. If you have already owned prior motorcycles then this is even less of an issue as you a already used to pushing around heavy 2-wheel bikes. After some initial issues learning how to handle the bike I haven't had any issue with the weight or toppling it in months and recently completed a multi-day mountain trip with zero problems related to the engine, weight, or tilt-lock system.

These are the instances I have toppled my bike based on my own newbie learning events.
* Taking it off the kickstand with the tilt-lock un-locked (bent brake lever and broken turn-signal)
* 5 times at stop-signs. Didn't plan my stop correctly or leaned over to talk to my car-friend thus putting too much weight on one side. Once an E-stop due to a car and I was in the process of a hard-turn.
* Uneven parking surface and I wasn't prepared to catch the bike when the tilt-lock disengaged at a funny angle
* Locked it on a slope, pushed it to a flat area, the lean on the slope was OK but the lean once it got to flat area (and still locked) was too much.

But...

I love this bike and its going to be with me till the engine doesn't run anymore so a few scuffs and scratches are fine.

If you buy the bike and are worried about toppling it here is my advise as a fellow beginner.
* Practice pushing it around on a flat surface with the tilt-lock on
* Practice pushing it around a gentle slopped driveway, feel how it wants to stay "up" even as it transitions to perpendicular to the slope of the driveway.
* DO NOT USE THE TILT LOCK AT STOP-SIGNS OR LIGHTS (without allot of practice)
* Practice the procedure for taking it off the kick-stand by first making SURE the tilt-lock is engaged

Buying replacement plastic and parts? Yes its not that expensive but make sure you learn exactly which version of the bike you have. A 2016 500ie Business has different brake handles than the 2016 500ie Sport (ask me how I know) but once you have that info you can buy replacement plastics online fairly easily.

Update edit
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2020-Piaggio-MP3-500-SPORT-ABS-5015937733
I found the cycle-trader link for the bike in question and here are my thoughts on it. Fist off; all of that is cosmetic to the black plastic bits and does not affect the performance of the bike. The green metallic paint is fully intact which is a good sign that its otherwise been handled well and is over-all excellent condition.
* Left side brake-lever is bent, mirror is scratched, bar-end is scratched up. That exact thing happened on my bike when I took it off the kick-stand without the lock, it was a fast high-speed topple I couldn't slow so the biked rolled up on its side. However the brake-lever was perfectly usable and I only replaced it after a year due to cosmetic reasons.
* Wheel-well plastic has scratches. This is very typical of the Mp3 and new riders dropping it while stopped. My own bike has the exact same scratches
* Cracked wheel-well plastic. Very easy to replace and I've actually temporarily re-attached mine with a bit of very carefully placed drill-holes and wire. My replacement plastic is in the mail as I write this and will be an easy installation. Just a long wait as it was on back-order at the time.
* Scratching on upper shin guard on left side probably happened at the same time as the bent brake-lever. Must have fallen next to a curb.
* Right side of the bike looks really good, just a few plastic scratches that are common on Mp3

Conclusion after reviewing the photos on Cycle-Trader; that bike is in great condition even with the scratches, all clean and even very little (or no) oil and dirt around the important bits so someone cares enough about it to keep it clean. But take it for a test-ride anyway and inspect closely just incase.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
pretty easy to do if your not paying attention or have NO formal training like a MSF class. no different than a normal motorcycle or scooter. you will ALWAYS have some DA.
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
It is easy to drop any type of bike by a newbie or experienced rider, that is why it is called an accident, I have MP3 400ie, and the last time I came to a traffic light which I stopped and I needed to wear the second glove (stupid I know), although I have the MP3, I did not put the brake lock nor the tilt, (over confidence !!!) , so the scooter started to roll backwards slowly and then I lost balance and I dropped it to the left side, but it was a gentle drop, so no scratches or damage.... see it is easy to drop them,,,, it is called accidents....
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
i can't get access to the site to see the demage

but beware when you drop a mp3 most plastic hooks on the painted covers will brake off so repairs could be a lot more expensive adding painted parts to the list

it will not show at first but when you take it apart it won't fit as supposed to anymore
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
I was expecting worse. At $7500 with the important "OBO" there is a deal to be had here.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
I personally think the asking is a bit high considering the costs it would take to repair the damages.
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
I'll watch it for awhile and see what happens price wise or if it sells. I was going to take that exact MP3 out for a test ride at the dealership but for some reason I passed that day. Then when I went back it was sold. But the words "heavy" don't sound that appealing to me, especially since I'll have my wife on the back most of the time. As I get older I want something light, but as I get older I want something that will be more stable/secure in turns. I'm fully aware that a MP3 does not improve balance, and I would probably never use the tilt lock. Tempting....
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
I'll watch it for awhile and see what happens price wise or if it sells. I was going to take that exact MP3 out for a test ride at the dealership but for some reason I passed that day. Then when I went back it was sold. But the words "heavy" don't sound that appealing to me, especially since I'll have my wife on the back most of the time. As I get older I want something light, but as I get older I want something that will be more stable/secure in turns. I'm fully aware that a MP3 does not improve balance, and I would probably never use the tilt lock. Tempting....
If you are looking for 2 up stability you might want to investigate the Can Am Spyder line (RT or F3)- takes the balance issue and instability out of the equation. As you can see I own both a Spyder and the MP3; each are a different kind of ride. I like leaning so I enjoy the MP3 and when I stop to park I engage the tilt lock and its a breeze to roll around. Even at 600# the MP3 is easy to put on the center stand as you don't have to balance while you are hoisting it up. I haven't felt the need to engage the tilt lock at intersections. The Spyder has an electronic nanny (ABS, Traction Control, VSS) that keeps you safe. You will feel the G's when in a curve and it is more of an upper body workout as you lean and twist to counter. Looks like that $7500 is a starting point for negotiations- good luck on your search.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
AvbIz wrote:
sc00ter wrote:
If you are looking for 2 up stability you might want to investigate the Can Am Spyder line (RT or F3)- takes the balance issue and instability out of the equation. As you can see I own both a Spyder and the MP3; each are a different kind of ride. I like leaning so I enjoy the MP3 and when I stop to park I engage the tilt lock and its a breeze to roll around. Even at 600# the MP3 is easy to put on the center stand as you don't have to balance while you are hoisting it up. I haven't felt the need to engage the tilt lock at intersections. The Spyder has an electronic nanny (ABS, Traction Control, VSS) that keeps you safe. You will feel the G's when in a curve and it is more of an upper body workout as you lean and twist to counter. Looks like that $7500 is a starting point for negotiations- good luck on your search.
I also own a Sypder, MP3 500, and a GTS. They are each totally different rides. My wife and I rode two up on the MP3 for several years, probably a couple thousand miles per year. While it is a heavy bike, it handles riding with a pillion very well, in my experience.

The GTS rides like a scooter; quick, nimble, good speed, but small wheels so bumps are a bit more felt, and limited space for two-up weekending.
The MP3 has a bit more storage (under the seat for me, top case for her), sufficient for weekend trips. Tilt lock is great for pillion mount and dismount. Riding is smoother despite same size front wheels; it's made to be heavier than the GTS. Still rides sort of like a scooter, but it will take more practice to get comfortable on tight turns or generally slow maneuvering.
The Spyder (I have a semi-auto transmission, so no clutch work) is a TOTALLY different ride from any scooter or motorcycle. No leaning into corners, rather you have to sort of push it through corners. Frankly it gets tiring on long rides with long sweeper turns, at least early in the season. With the semi-auto transmission you only need to push a paddle to change gears up, and it will do the downshifting for you if you let it. So almost twist-and-go. Tons of storage space in the RT-S, Limited, or similar models. There is also the F3, and a smaller cousin the Ryker which has CVT transmission.

Anyway, to answer your original question "How hard is it to drop an MP3?".
Very easy; it will in fact drop itself.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
From my experience with my MP3 250 and MP3 400, it is easy to drop if you let it get a little bit off balance while at a stop or going very slowly. It hits a "point of no return" very quickly where the best you can accomplish is to try to let it down easy. If you try to save it you will only hurt yourself and it will go down anyway.

This will particularly happen if you stop while leaning in a turn. This happened to me once when a car undercut me in a common driveway. I was able to avoid a collision but then couldn't hold the bike up.

It can also happen when you are just pushing it around. I find it best to have the tilt-lock engaged for this unless it's on a slope.

Once you're under way, though, it gets very stable. This is likely due to having three gyroscopic stabilizers (otherwise known as "wheels") rotating underneath you.
UTC

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
i have always owned at least one motorcycle since turning 15, and that was a while ago.

the MP3 500 is no different from other heavy bikes - gravity works exactly the same for it. i have only dropped it once, and it was because of the false sense of security on my second day of ownership. i got into my garage and while fiddling with yet unfamilar controls, my foot slipped on the smooth garage floor and the MP3 came on its side. zero damage.

now i just handle it like my other motorcycle (a 500lbs BMW R1100S). i have never ever once laid down the Beemer, last time i stupidly dropped a motorcycle was also while parking my previous motorcycle on a damp surface, it was 1999 or something i think.

so my recommendation is... don't buy any of the hype about the MP3 being near impossible to drop. you can fall. it is a bit more forgiving on turns, that front end really sticks, especially going downhill on a tight turn that would drop you on any other motorcycle. but when handling it around at very low speed, hey, it's heavy and if u don't watch out it'll fall down just like any other bike.
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
The ad was pulled so I assume it sold. No, I didn't buy it. Was tempted but I have a Silverwing that has a Motor Trike conversion. Wonder if the new owner will join?
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
The ad was pulled so I assume it sold. No, I didn't buy it. Was tempted but I have a Silverwing that has a Motor Trike conversion. Wonder if the new owner will join?
A motor trike is very different than an MP3. I'd say a trike rides more like a sidecar bike. You have to muscle it around the turns and shift your weight. An MP3 rides pretty much like a 2-wheeler. You lean in the turns, and can pretty much fall like a 2-wheeler - though the 2 front wheels do give you better traction in turns.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0349s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0104s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]