Full-Face vs Modular Flip-Up Helmets
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Addicted
2007 Scarabeo 500ie
Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:47 pm quote
My next purchase will be a full face helmet, but I'm undecided about whether I want to get a flip-up style or not. I'm looking at the HJC Symax helmet. If I go with a standard full-face, thinking of one of the Scorpion EXO-700 or EXO-400. Anyone have any of these helmets, and how do you like yours? Pros, Cons, advice?

:? :? :?

Monica
Ossessionato
Aprilia Sportcity Cube 250ie, Stella 2T
Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:59 pm quote
ditto kermit. I'm in the market for a full-face too to go with the new scoot. Please everyone, if you don't have a full-face consider one. I now have the scar on my forehead to proove it. I am also interested in the possibility of a REAL flip-up, not the flimsy face shield I had before.
Molto Verboso
GT200
Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:14 pm quote
I'm waiting for the Z1R flip face which won't be released until a little later this month. It's supposed to be a new composite which is lighter and stronger. I haven't tried it on (as it isn't out yet), but based on the full face and 3/4 Z1Rs I tried, it is very comfortable and fits the best.
I think flip face are great for running errands around town, and rallies and rides when it's good to be able to hear other riders. I wouldn't wear a half or three-quarter.
Symax was my second choice.
Addicted
GTS250 SOLD
Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:33 pm quote
Check out the Nolan 100E. Has no fog flip up visor and there is an optional flip up sun visor add-on which I just got. http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/nolan100.html
Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:54 pm quote
Quote:
Check out the Nolan 100E
Ding ding ding....we have a winner!

I really like my Nolan, It has been a great helmet. I have a round head shape and the Nolan fit very well. I dug around in eBay a bit and got the 100E for 170$ + shipping....killer deal.

I go to the shop and try on the helmets and then buy online, and yea I do feel a little guilty sometimes(thou not much).

R
Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:18 pm quote
The HJC is a nice modular, but I also just went with a Nolan. The new Nolan N102. I love it's great features of the sun screen, venting, washable liner and ratcheting chin strap. It also has a metal retension system for the flip. Not cheap plastic. PLUS ... It's Italian, just like our scoots!

I got mine on ebay for about 220. including shipping.

Hooked
Black Vespa GTS 250cc
Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:47 pm quote
love my Nolan - but mostly beacuse it keeps my head nice and toasty in the NYC winters - though I'm not so sure I'll use it in the middle of summer in the sweltering heat of NYC

But I think really it makes me feel safer for sure - and the true flip nature of it - is the BEST - I wouldn't want one that just has the visor flip up - the whole thing's gotta flip - makes it much much nicer and cooler days....or when stopped in traffic for too long.....
Ossessionato
2013 Can Am Spyder RSS
Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:26 pm quote
I'd say the Nolan is the best bang for the buck, you might want to take a look at the Schubert, a bit spendy but a really well thought out helmet.
http://motoemporium.com/schuberth/schuberth_concept.html
Addicted
GTS250 SOLD
Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:32 pm quote
When you get your Nolan I recommend that you get the T-bar accessory also. The Nolan has a ratcheting chin strap, no D-rings to lock it to the seat when you're parked. The T-bar slips into the ratchet part.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:13 am quote
I have the Nolan flip-up as well. It was my first helmet. Unfortunately, as time went on I realized that mine was uncomfortable to wear for extended periods. Nothing wrong with the helmet, it just didn't fit my head very well. I've since gone to a Shoei full-face. I feel marginally more secure in the Shoei, but I do miss the flip-up aspect of the Nolan.
Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....
Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:56 am quote
I bought the Shoei flip-up. Kind of pricey but cheaper than replacing my noggin. I find it very comfortable. It's nice to be able to open up at stop lights and talk to the people I ride with.
2006 GTS250 (silver)
Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:10 am quote
Hi - just joined after lurking since November. Anyway - I went with the Nolan 102 after the dealer loaned me a Schuberth modular helmet (not sure of the model - Concept?). I found the Schuberth was a little tight around the ears while the Nolan fits perfectly. I think it's really a matter of what fits best for your head shape. If the helps.
Enthusiast

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:02 pm quote
You lucky folks with flip-ups: do you leave the helmet on when you go into the gas station to pay, etc.? I usually take my full-face helmet off, just so they don't call the police or anything.
Hooked
Vintage Green GT125
Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:30 pm quote
Isn't it true that modular helmets are only tested as a 3/4 open face so it might be disingeneous to think it offers the same protection as a full face.

Then again I may be completely wrong!
Addicted
Vespa LX150
Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:47 pm quote
I have a HJC Symax which is a flip up. Its a decent helmet but a little nosiy. My brother has a Shoei flip up and its appears to be much better made and fitting although it cost much more than mine. It really depends on what you are willing to spend. Based on my expereince I would go with Shoei or Arai, they are more expensive but appear to be better crafted (have owned both.) HJC are okay but are not as nicely done. But you get what you pay for. This is my first HJC and it does the job but my next helmet will be a Shoei and a flip up for sure. I suggest you stop by a motorcycle shop and try some out. Once you find a model you like find a discount shop on the web. You can also save money by buying an older (last year) model.
Addicted
2007 Scarabeo 500ie
Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:13 pm quote
Thanks for all the feed back so far, guys! Sounds like a lot of you are really liking your modular helmets, so I'm more seriously considering one now. I'll have to go to the shop to try on some Nolans to see how they feel on my noggin'.

Monica
Ossessionato
Many

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:20 pm quote
Modulars are damn convienent but don't offer the protection of a full face. They are only tested as a 3/4 for a reason.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Yamaha Vstar classic 650 'Yamama' (Currently waspless but don't count me out!)
Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:47 pm quote
My impression is that the HJCs FF are just noisier. They're nicely priced and mine is darn comfortable and light, but it's noisier fully closed than cracked open.

The one step up that I won't do without on my next helmet, which the CL-15 now has, is the anti-fog shield. The only thing I'm not loving on my cold morning commutes is dealing with fogging. I've ordered a cheap breather guard off of e-bay this week (that I hope I won't need till fall) to see if it helps.
Molto Verboso
LX150, MP3, Buddy
Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:29 pm quote
Have the Nolan N100, love it. Took a while to get used to the full face aspect, but now I like it a lot. Wear it everywhere, especially the gas station. So nice to flip up, pump,pay, flip down, ride away. Only two problems. One, will not fit under seat or in topcase of LX150. Two, comfy ratcheting latch means no D-ring to lock to scooter. I have to carry it around with me. Therefore, I will be purchasing the Eclipse (Z1R flipface) when it comes out in mid April. Hopefully, I will like it as much.
Enthusiast

Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:02 pm quote
Velvet wrote:
Isn't it true that modular helmets are only tested as a 3/4 open face so it might be disingeneous to think it offers the same protection as a full face.
I did read a crash report on another forum, where the chin bar gave some protection, then flipped-up. So I wouldn't say that the flip-ups are as safe as the full.
Addicted
GTS250 SOLD
Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:02 pm quote
paige wrote:
Only two problems. One, will not fit under seat or in topcase of LX150. Two, comfy ratcheting latch means no D-ring to lock to scooter. I have to carry it around with me. Therefore, I will be purchasing the Eclipse (Z1R flipface) when it comes out in mid April. Hopefully, I will like it as much.
AS I said earlier, get the T-bar accessory to lock your helmet to the scooter. It costs $5.00. Mine is on order. Should get it in another week or so. Shipping always takes longer in Alaska.
Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:48 pm quote
I bought this cheap ($50) helmet last week. It's not gonna be the safest thing out there (but it has the official European certifacte), but I bought it for those summer days with 25+°C temperatures and for short trips (less than 3 miles). For that the price, it's a bit noisy and it's not the best finishing.

Vespa LX150
Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:16 pm quote
paige wrote:
Have the Nolan N100, love it. [...] Only two problems. One, will not fit under seat or in topcase of LX150. Two, comfy ratcheting latch means no D-ring to lock to scooter.
I have the HJC Symax. It's not as fancy as the Nolan, but it does have a couple of things going for it. It fits under the seat of my LX150 (it's a little tight, but it really does fit) and the D-rings hook nicely on the helmet hook when I've got other stuff under the seat. It's the only full-face sort of helmet that I could find that fits under the seat. (I wear a large).

I really like having a flip-up that fits under the seat, especially since it's been raining pretty much constantly all March in San Francisco.

jeff
Ossessionato
2013 Can Am Spyder RSS
Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:20 am quote
Rex Dart wrote:
Hi - just joined after lurking since November. Anyway - I went with the Nolan 102 after the dealer loaned me a Schuberth modular helmet (not sure of the model - Concept?). I found the Schuberth was a little tight around the ears while the Nolan fits perfectly. I think it's really a matter of what fits best for your head shape. If the helps.
All the Schuberth helmets run small..........I normally wear XL but the XXL was perfect. They also fit tight at first but break in quicky to really form to you head.
Ossessionato
2013 Can Am Spyder RSS
Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:28 am quote
cfargo wrote:
Modulars are damn convienent but don't offer the protection of a full face. They are only tested as a 3/4 for a reason.
I'm not sure if all modulars are rated 3/4....that use to be so...........but in the last few years have been built to specs that rate most as full face (I will check modulars for how they're tested, 3/4 or full and post back).
The Shoei Syncrotec is a top rated flip helmet and the strongest of the group.....spendy but like someone said,"....$10.00 head.....$10.00 helmet".
My Stella, her et-2
Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:59 am quote
Rema1000 wrote:
You lucky folks with flip-ups: do you leave the helmet on when you go into the gas station to pay, etc.? I usually take my full-face helmet off, just so they don't call the police or anything.
Yeah, take that thing off. No need to scare the gas station employees!

I'm a fan of the Nolan flip-up as well. It's made in Italy, Vespafolk!

Nice screen name, Rema. Are you located in Norway?
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:59 am quote
jeffsf wrote:
I have the HJC Symax....It fits under the seat of my LX150 (it's a little tight, but it really does fit) and the D-rings hook nicely on the helmet hook when I've got other stuff under the seat. It's the only full-face sort of helmet that I could find that fits under the seat. (I wear a large).
jeff
I really like my HJC Symax; and it fit me better than other helmets I tried on.-- the convenience of the flip-up is great, and I've seen nothing that verifies the claim that they're less safe than a conventional FF. A Shoei/HJC vendor told me he trusts the safety factor of the flip-ups, and that he likes the HJC just about as well as the Shoei .

However, it doesn't fit under the seat on the ET4, and was one reason I got a top case [it does fit in the Vespa TC].
Molto Verboso
LX150, MP3, Buddy
Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:14 am quote
I tried the all the flipface helmets I could find. I really wanted the Symax to work, but I wear an XS in Nolan and Z1R. The Symax XS is actually closer to a S, so I would need a XXS, which they don't make. Dude at First Kick Scooters in SF mentioned the Eclipse, so I am holding my breath until they get them in. OK, not really holding my breath, but I am excited.

How does the Nolan T strap mechanism work? Does it just attach like the male/female ratchet thing? Is that secure or just convenient? I would prefer to put a helmet inside the scooter, because I live in a major urban area where people have had helmets stolen that were D-ring locked to scooters, and because I don't trust people not to mess with an exposed helmet.

It sucks having a pinhead.
Addicted
et4 and px150
Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:34 am quote
I've had the Nolan 100E for a year now, and I love it.

FYI: The strap between the side of the helmet and the latch can be slipped on to the helmet hook without much trouble... surprised none of you have tried that.

This is a 10-11 months of the year helmet... I got the new 3/4 Vega NT100 for those few 80, 90+ days in the city when (realistically) comfort will once again win out over increased safety.

Last edited by Brouhaha on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Hooked
X-9 500 Evo, GT200

Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:34 am quote
Velvet wrote:
Snell promises to test modular helmets as full face helmets:
Helmets may also be equipped with a chin or full face guard that pivots or flips up for the rider’s convenience. These structures are considered as integral parts of the helmet and helmets equipped with them are considered full face helmets and are required to meet all of the test criteria for full face helmets. (www.smf.org)

but

At present the Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification. We do not find any fault with these designs as long as they are used according to the manufacturers instructions and meet all of the requirements of the standard.

Motorcycle Cruiser magazine tested flip-ups in 2003 (http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/flip_face_helmet_comparison/):
To determine how strong the chinbars are, we also performed a chinbar-deflection test, similar to a Snell test for shell rigidity. We wondered whether the chinbars had the integrity to pass this test without being an integral part of the helmet shell. It turns out that they do. None approached the allowed 60mm deflection.

By the way, the DOT doesn't certify whether a helmet meets the standard or not (it's a trust the manufacturer thing), they do test a selection of helmets each year. The article points out: The HJC Symax failed for performance in 2001.
Enthusiast

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:08 pm quote
HelmutHead wrote:
Nice screen name, Rema. Are you located in Norway?
Takk for det--no, I'm an American, living in Minneapolis. Det syntes jeg at ingen skulle vet on meningen av avataren min. Small world, ikke sant?

(oh, and my next scoot helmet will be a flip... just to stay on-topic!).
Hooked
05 Vespa GT200 & 02 Honda Reflex
Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:09 pm quote
We have cheap modular Zeus 508s I bought from eBay. We bought a face shield from the folks below. Unfortunately you need a screwdriver and a few minutes to change out clear and smoked (or in our case mirrored). My head fits it fine and we're pretty happy with them. I just flip up the chin/faceshield when I go into a store or bank if I'll be there for a few minutes and they already know me. I hate helmet hair.

http://traxms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ZS-508W&Category_Code=Zeus_Motorcycle_Helmets&Product_Count=1

We (husband and I) have the titanium color thinking it matched the GT charcoal grey but it doesn't. If I was buying new I'd buy silver. There are some cool colors. I got good service from Trax, which is the store in the link above. I'm sure Nolan helmets are better but if you're frugal, don't ride much, using it for a passenger, have an $89 head, this one's for you!

Lisa
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2712s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0386s) ][ Debug on ]