Vespa GT200 or GTS 250, which one and why?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GTS 250i
Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:12 am quote
Hi All...

Ok, only two choices left now...its between the Vespa GT200 and GTS250.

Is the Vespa 250 worth the extra funds compared to the Vespa GT200... If so why?

Any assistance welcome. I am aware of the differences between both scooters but would still like to hear some views. While I can pick up some great GT bargins new or secondhand, I'm wondering if I'll regret it later....

Thanks NZKiwi :?
Hooked

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:52 am quote
Of course it depends on your riding. If it's around town then a GT or LX150 is great. If you're going to be going fast or on motorways then maximum power and torque are a factor and the GTS comes into the picture.

If paying cash and/or buying new, the difference is minor ( GT: $5200 GTS: $5800) then the GTS is the choice. It's definitely worth the extra money IMO. Even if the dealer will discount the GT a bit, and not the GTS, it may still be worth it.

But if you're cross shopping pre-owned then 2004 or 2005 GTs can be found for around $4200 to $4800 on a private buy with no dealer fees and that's a lot less money. The GT is a tad slower and a bit less responsive in handling, but the savings could easily justify the choice.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:08 am quote
The GT is a tad slower and a bit less responsive in handling, but the savings could easily justify the choice.[/quote]

I have heard this, has anyone done any GPS testing on the top speeds of the GTS vs. GT?

I was on the freeway yesterday on my GT, and the speedo was reading 75 mph. I don't have a GPS, but I was having no trouble keeping up with people on the I-15, where speeds of 70-75 are common.

How much faster is the GTS? I'm guessing at least 5mph?
Hooked

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:27 am quote
At only 400 miles, my GTS is not yet broken in. So I haven't explored top speed. Plus we live at 5000+ feet of altitude, so our speeds are probably less than most and the benefits of FI may be more obvious.

But I will say this: On a relatively flat stretch of highway, both of our GTs will do 70-75. But it takes some effort to get anything over 60-60, and they are flat out once they get there. The GTS, on the other hand, will zip to 65 quite easily. The acceleration is more linear and it's not at WOT at that speed. How fast will it go? We'll have to wait and see.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:08 am quote
Bzzz wrote:
At only 400 miles, my GTS is not yet broken in. So I haven't explored top speed. Plus we live at 5000+ feet of altitude, so our speeds are probably less than most and the benefits of FI may be more obvious.

But I will say this: On a relatively flat stretch of highway, both of our GTs will do 70-75. But it takes some effort to get anything over 60-60, and they are flat out once they get there. The GTS, on the other hand, will zip to 65 quite easily. The acceleration is more linear and it's not at WOT at that speed. How fast will it go? We'll have to wait and see.
I must have a really good GT, because i wasn't at WOT going 75. I actually hit 78 and scared myself, so I throttled back. I don't really know where my speedo would peg out. Also, I don't have the flat spot you mentioned after 60mph. I guess I should count my blessings!

Len
Hooked

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:30 am quote
It's probably altitude related. The most obvious difference when driving at altitude isn't loss of power, it's loss of the ability to accelerate. It's common to see rental cars in the mountains pull out into the fast lane and then not pass. The driver assumes the car will accelerate the same as it did in the city, but then he/she pulls into the fast lane, floors it, and not much happens. Meanwhile the faster traffic comes up behind them and is forced to brake, causing jam ups and accidents.

I can go 70-75 on a GT but it takes a minute to get there. The push-in-the-back feeling of power drops away above 60-65 MPH, whereas on the GTS I can be cruising at 65, open the throttle, and it will sopeed up to 75 pretty easily.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:51 am quote
Bzzz wrote:
It's common to see rental cars in the mountains pull out into the fast lane and then not pass. The driver assumes the car will accelerate the same as it did in the city, but then he/she pulls into the fast lane, floors it, and not much happens. Meanwhile the faster traffic comes up behind them and is forced to brake, causing jam ups and accidents.
Oh, that happens down here at sea level as well. We usually chock it up to oblivious stupidity, though.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Yamaha Vstar classic 650 'Yamama' (Currently waspless but don't count me out!)
Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:09 am quote
I got my GT up to 75 indicated (67.4 recorded in the GPS) on a flat country road and it could have gone higher but a curve was coming up!

It was a whopping 38 degrees out. What affect does temperature have on performance?

The drive in to work today was 32 degrees and Milena (my GT) was just loving it purring along.
Hooked

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:12 am quote
Cooler Air=Denser Air

and denser air contains more oxygen per volume.

This is why some turbocharged cars have intercoolers: the turbo pressurizes the intake air but it tends to heat up under pressure, defeating some of the purpose of the turbo. The intercooler helps cool the air down so the intake charge is denser than it would be with just a turbo alone.

I have always thought my scooter ran better in cool weather but I don't know how much of it is reality and how much is my imagination.

One of the magazines, I think it was Road and Track, had a discussion of this in their technical section a while back. IIRC they got the best performance at around 35-40 degrees F.
Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie
Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:34 am quote
who's to say that the GTS dosn't monitor the air temp (and therefore density), coming in and modulate the fuel injection accordingly.. or am I just being hopeful here... :?
I'd agree on the GTS vs GT comments so far, the GTS is the better buy at showroom prices, but the GT can be gotten second hand with few miles on the clock for a good price these days... the choice is yours..
I'm not sure of the top speed of my GTS, perhaps due to wind resistance it's not much greater than the GT, but it certainly gets there quicker...
I'd say you'd love either bike.. you can always get the GT first and trade up later... but if this is a possibility, buy second hand

p.s I've owned a GT in the past, and now have the GTS

Last edited by Kev on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
None. Maybe again someday when Michelle won't worry.
Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:57 pm quote
For me it was color choice. I had my heart set on white or vintage green so the GTS wasn't in the running. I have 1,270 miles on it now and love it. I can't imagine the GTS making me 600 bucks happier but if it would have been in white or vintage green, I probably would have found the extra money.
Doug
GTS 250i
Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:11 am quote
Thanks for the update, not sure if I'm any wiser though...
Thanks everyone for your input... I'm hearing mixed reviews from a few people about the differences but almost everyone has said the same thing about price. If I can get a second-hand GT for a good price (live in Aussie), I should go for this as the difference between a second-hand GT200 with a top box compared to a GTS250 without a top box is about $2,200....and $2.6k with a top box, seems a lot...

Have seen a couple of GT200s for about the 7.5k mark with 2,000 kms which is pretty good...

$10k for a GTS250 with top box is a lot of money.... can the handling be that much better... or will I end up being unhappy with it...

Thanks
Enthusiast
Vespa 250 GTS
Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:23 am quote
Re: Thanks for the update, not sure if I'm any wiser though.
I just want to add my personal opinion about things:
"If you can somehow afford it - get the better one."

- Then you don't have regrets like "what if"
- You have less need/want to upgrade in the near future
- Usually more expensive = better. Less harm in the long run

I have done this many times. At least with a washing machine, dishwasher, tv, computer, monitor and Vespa... Never once have I regretted spending a little more. But many many many times have I thanked myself for not getting the cheaper one.

Usually the difference in price is not so great after all. Just drink less beer for a couple of months (as you will because you'll be driving a lot). And that's it. Or wait just a month more and save the money needed.

In "luxury stuff" like a scooter, I also have thought that:
"If I can't afford it - I don't need it." I always try to save the money (as not in buying with a credit or a loan), and if eventually when I saved enough I still want it. Then I'll get it. The Money is really no object then - It's the waiting

But these aare my opinions. Just make your own mind and you'll be happy! Both scoots are excellent!
Hooked
GTS 250ie
Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:29 am quote
My wife was going to get the GT - untill we heard about the upcoming GTS, ur local dealer (Who was great) said it would be about $1k more without huge benefits.
We did wait though, even ended up getting 2 GTS's we would always wish we had the extra power (no matter how small) Its even better on fuel because of the injection. The GTS will be the pick of the 2nd hand bunch in a couple of years if that is important to you. For us the choice was simple, settle on a GT (which is a great scooter) and always end up wishing you went for the GTS. We got our for an incredably low price. Including Top Box & Rubber mats around $9k Australian.
Which ever you choose, all the best on a great choice VEPSA!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:51 am quote
Re: Thanks for the update, not sure if I'm any wiser though.
Jet Oil wrote:
I have done this many times. At least with a washing machine, dishwasher, tv, computer, monitor and Vespa... Never once have I regretted spending a little more. But many many many times have I thanked myself for not getting the cheaper one.

Jet Oil,

That's a very European attitude. I have family in Germany and they can't understand why we'd want to buy a house with a wooden frame vs saving up for a solid brick one, or why we would want to trive Chevettes vs. using public transportation for a few years and getting something better. I repect the attitude, and wish I held to it more often (which in general I do)but I'm very American and want my toys NOW!

I went the used GT because I had that much cash to spare. I didn't want to wait around or get into debt to get it. I'm loving every minute of it now.

I think this is another of those 'no wrong answer' deals. But if you can afford to buy the best, certainly do it!
Ossessionato
Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:16 am quote
In the US the GTS250ie has an MSRP of $5,799, while the GT200 has an MSRP of $5,199. A $600 difference. What that difference works out to be out the door at your dealer varies. But having ridden both, I would pick the GTS over the GT in any situation where the price difference was less than $1,000. If I could get a fantastic deal on a GT, then I could be tempted to go that route.
Enthusiast
Vespa GTS
Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:14 pm quote
GT & GTS
Have not had the GTS but road one with 357 miles on it and it pulls better than the GT, I like the Retro look of the GT better and the seat feels more comfortable to me than the GTS seat, I am a large person 6'4"& 275 and I really like the seat on the GT. I had a 2004 GT and sold it back in 2005 and I now have a 2006 GT with 875 miles on at present and the smile is on my face now again. I think if you go on the freeways some, the GTS would be a good choice for the better exceleration and better mileage at high speed. The GT200L is fast but at high speeds mileage drops off some. When I had my 2004 GT had it up to 80+mph on the freeway coming back from Tucson to Pheonix, but I had a little carb work done to it. The 2006 GT will do 74+ when things are right and its stock and runs fine. An oldtimer told me if you want something faster get something bigger and I think he gave me good advice. A Vespa will not keep up with a Burgman but a Burgman 650 will go faster than a Harley Classic and its still a scooter hmmmm.................walterb
Hooked
lx 150
Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:46 am quote
When I bought my lx150 I was still considering a gt. I sat on the gt and tried to get it up the the centerstand and it felt like way too much to me. My feet could hardly touch the ground I didn't see yself muscleing (sp) that thing around. I'm also a small guy and new to two wheeled machines.

I sat on the gts a couple days ago and all those problems with the gt are gone. My feet could touch while it was on the centerstand even! It felt incredibly comfortable to be.

If you're 6ft or taller the gt would be better I think. If you're shorter then I'd go with the gts.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:54 am quote
tippytop wrote:
If you're 6ft or taller the gt would be better I think. If you're shorter then I'd go with the gts.
Hey! I'm 5'8" and the GT fits me just fine. On paper, at least, the GTS seat height is only 1cm lower than the GT. I think we figured out that an inseam of 30" should do the trick on the GT.
Hooked
lx 150
Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:17 am quote
jess wrote:
tippytop wrote:
Hey! I'm 5'8" and the GT fits me just fine. On paper, at least, the GTS seat height is only 1cm lower than the GT. I think we figured out that an inseam of 30" should do the trick on the GT.
youre right i think that its my inseam thats the real problem. i'm just a small guy. i do know that sitting on the gts felt even more natural than my lx150 while to me the gt is just too much. i'm also sort of a clutz and felt like a lumbering clutz sitting on the gt.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:33 pm quote
Funny, I'm 6'3" which isn't that big and my wife told me yesterday that my GT looked "puny" under me. I was actually surprised, it being an Italian machine I figured it would feel small but it actually feels tailor made for me. (inseam 34" for most pants)
Ossessionato
Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:21 pm quote
tippytop wrote:
I'm 6'4", and the GTS felt the same as the GT. I guess that a 36" inseam might make a 1cm difference unnoticeable.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.6917s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1027s) ][ Debug on ]