GT200 stalling any good technicians?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
GTS250 vintage red
Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:40 pm quote
I know the Charcoal canister and how it can affect the gt's has been addressed, however I'm having the same problem but the canister has been disconnected. It seems that when the scooter is warmed up and left to sit for approximately 20-30 minutes, it starts hard and continues to stall. At the first service, the dealer disconnected the canister vacuum line but the problem persisted. Two weeks ago, I went riding on a fairly warm day, 60's, and the same problem. It sat for about 20 minutes or so and then refused to idle. I had to ride the scoot home with the accelerator and the brake so it wouldn't stall. When I parked it in garage, it reeked of gas and I heard a persistent clicking sound similar to what a electric fuel pump. Does the gt200 have an electric fuel pump?

Anyway, it didn't start all the afternoon or the next morning. The dealer had it towed to their shop. They reconnected a loose vacuum hose, the one they disconnected for the canister in the first place and did some carb adjustments. When I got it home, it seemed ok but the idle in my opinion seemed a bit too high. It also backfired every so often.

Yesterday, about 70 degrees here in Denver, I rode it about 10 miles and stopped. It started ok after a 15 minute stop. I should mention also that since the carb adjust, it does have an intermittent exhaust popping. I rode about another 10 miles and stopped for about 20 minutes. Guess what? Right!. Started hard! Stalled a few times but since the idle was a bit higher, I did manage to make it home. Once in the garage, again it reeked of gasoline, and that clicking sound continued for about an hour after I shut it down. It wouldn't stay running for the rest of the day.
Since it did start this morning, I took the bike today back to the shop, shut it down and it started fine. They couldn't duplicate the problem this time. I'm at a loss. I think it sounds like a bad electric fuel pump, but was told they didn't think it had one.

Any suggestions?

It's a 2006 with 1100 miles, close to 200 of those just going back and forth to the dealer for this problem.
Molto Verboso
None. Maybe again someday when Michelle won't worry.
Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:53 pm quote
Mine does this also. I have found that if I just crank on the starter a little longer without giving it any gas it will finally start and idle a little slow at first. If I give it gas, to help it start, it starts much easier but will die if I let go of the throttle. As long as I don't give it any throttle after it is warmed up and just crank on it a little longer, it will start and eventually run just fine. It really hasn't been enough of a problem to bother me. But then again, mine also has that wobble problem from time to time that bothers some folks but not me. It's funny how some things bother some people but not others....go figure. It really acts like it's flooded or something. I just don't know but like I say, it does start and even if I give it gas, it clears up pretty quickly.

Hope this helps.....at least you know you're not the only one,
Doug
Addicted
Vespa GT200
Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:09 pm quote
I've had some problems with my 2006 GT (2200 km). Sometimes it stalls in stop-and-go traffic, but it restarts quickly in those circumstances (thankfully). I have had the times when it was warm, sat for 20-30 minutes and then ran like a bag of bones afterwards.

I have the EVAP hose disconnected right now as well (an overfilling-type incident).

I upped the idle speed a little and it seems to hold in traffic better,.

It's going in for its second service soon, maybe they'll sort it out.
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:11 am quote
Re: GT200 stalling any good technicians?
wasp wrote:
I know the Charcoal canister and how it can affect the gt's has been addressed, however I'm having the same problem but the canister has been disconnected. It seems that when the scooter is warmed up and left to sit for approximately 20-30 minutes, it starts hard and continues to stall. At the first service, the dealer disconnected the canister vacuum line but the problem persisted. Two weeks ago, I went riding on a fairly warm day, 60's, and the same problem. It sat for about 20 minutes or so and then refused to idle. I had to ride the scoot home with the accelerator and the brake so it wouldn't stall. When I parked it in garage, it reeked of gas and I heard a persistent clicking sound similar to what a electric fuel pump. Does the gt200 have an electric fuel pump?

Anyway, it didn't start all the afternoon or the next morning. The dealer had it towed to their shop. They reconnected a loose vacuum hose, the one they disconnected for the canister in the first place and did some carb adjustments. When I got it home, it seemed ok but the idle in my opinion seemed a bit too high. It also backfired every so often.

Yesterday, about 70 degrees here in Denver, I rode it about 10 miles and stopped. It started ok after a 15 minute stop. I should mention also that since the carb adjust, it does have an intermittent exhaust popping. I rode about another 10 miles and stopped for about 20 minutes. Guess what? Right!. Started hard! Stalled a few times but since the idle was a bit higher, I did manage to make it home. Once in the garage, again it reeked of gasoline, and that clicking sound continued for about an hour after I shut it down. It wouldn't stay running for the rest of the day.
Since it did start this morning, I took the bike today back to the shop, shut it down and it started fine. They couldn't duplicate the problem this time. I'm at a loss. I think it sounds like a bad electric fuel pump, but was told they didn't think it had one.

Any suggestions?

It's a 2006 with 1100 miles, close to 200 of those just going back and forth to the dealer for this problem.
Judging by your symptoms of hard starting, backfiring, poor throttle response, and gasoline smell, you have a carburetor problem. All indications are suggesting that your scooter is running excessively rich. You'll need to have your carburetor removed, dismantled, inspected, and cleaned.
You may have picked-up contaminants from your unplugged float-bowl vent. After your carburetor has been serviced, connect a length of hose to the float-bowl vent, and route the hose down the side of the engine. The hose will allow your float-bowl to vent properly, while protecting your carburetor from becoming contaminated with dirt. Alternatevely, you can reconnect the float-bowl vent to the EVAP circuit.
Hooked
GTS250 vintage red
Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:04 pm quote
Thanks for the info. I guess the float was sticking or something like that. Also one of the jets was clogged. I don't have the bike back yet but the dealer said it's running fine now and no backfire. I'll let you know when I pick it up sometime this week. I do hope this is a fix. It's a pain in the butt with the start/stall situation.
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:48 am quote
wasp wrote:
Thanks for the info. I guess the float was sticking or something like that. Also one of the jets was clogged. I don't have the bike back yet but the dealer said it's running fine now and no backfire. I'll let you know when I pick it up sometime this week. I do hope this is a fix. It's a pain in the butt with the start/stall situation.
Cool.
The float could have been sticking, or the float valve could have been not sealing. Both of those conditions would have led to an enriched mixture, and that gas smell. A jet, or other passage, could also have been clogged. Chances are excellent, that you'll be pleased with the results.
Hooked
15' Sprint 150

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:46 am quote
As above with cleaning up the carb ... two new delOrto's I had needing cleaning soon after use.

My only input was to close that vacume line from the charcoal canister, both to the cansiter and to intake manifold. This would a nice air leak leading to funny idles and lean mix.

CC
Hooked
GTS300 Super/Burgman 650/BV500/ B&W250/Elite150/BMW R60/CL77 Scrambler/YDS1 Big Bear/CB160/HD Street Glide
Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:01 pm quote
Mine started this crap this afternoon. I am 75 miles away from the selling dealer (and the closest) and would like to fix myself. I'm an ex dealer of Yamaha and have a pretty good working knowledge of bikes in general. Any insight to the removal of the carb and what to look for would be appreciated.

Somehow just adjusting the idle higher doesnt seem to address the problem. Thanks in advance for any input.
Addicted
Vespa GT200
Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:35 am quote
I found out that my problem (besides the EVAP hose) was a loose plug wire. It was vibrating around so the connection would miss off and on. Sometimes it would stall when sitting in stopped traffic (thank goodness it would start right up again).

When I was poking around one weekend trying to figure out the problem, I noticed a wire hanging loose. I must have bumped it right off when I was feeling around in there.

When I connected it to the sparkplug securely - no more problems!

So - my issues were resolved with: - disconnect the EVAP hose and connect the spark plug wire!
Hooked
GTS300 Super/Burgman 650/BV500/ B&W250/Elite150/BMW R60/CL77 Scrambler/YDS1 Big Bear/CB160/HD Street Glide
Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:47 pm quote
Thanks Christine

Unfortunately the plug wire was tight as it can get. I rode it this morning and it did pretty good holding an idle during the 45 degree commute. Left the bike in our office space at 72 degrees and when I went to start it this afternoon it started with the same nonsense. Slow to start, required throttle to remain running and refused to idle.

I'll try the evap hose disconnect and hope for the cure. Seems a shame my cheap Kymco has been flawless for 3000 miles and the prestine Vespa needs help at 300 miles.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1136s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0253s) ][ Debug on ]