Vespa P200e Jumps & stalls when 1st gear engaged
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
P200e

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:00 am quote
I have a vespa p200e which has been in storage for a while. it starts & idles ok but when i try to engage first (clutch depressed moving grip shift in to first position) the scooter kangaroos forward & then cuts out.

does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this & how i may go about fixing it?

Many thanks.
Ossessionato
Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:27 am quote
I'm guessing that's a cable operated clutch? It might just need adjustment.
Lurker
P200e

Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:04 am quote
Thanks, I will check this.
Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:59 am quote
If it jumps forward, there's something wrong with the clutch cable. Probably it's too long, or even broken.
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:56 am quote
That's a common problem with multi-plate clutches, Pangea. The clutch plates tend to stick together, and require additional force to break them free. You've probably discovered, if you rev your engine before shifting into first gear (holding the clutch in, of course), the clutch will cause the scooter to lurch forward but then disengage, allowing the engine to idle freely. You'll also notice that this phenomenon will disappear after the initial shift into first gear.

If this is what you're experiencing, it's normal. There's no adjustment that will keep you clutch plates from sticking together.
Lurker
P200e

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:07 am quote
Thanks, I have tried to engage 1st numerous times but each time the scooter lurches & then stalls, would I then need to dismantle the clutch to un-stick the clutch plates?

Thanks
Sponsor
Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:25 am quote
A clutch rebuild will most likely solve your problem. New plates will help. Make sure you are using the correct type of two-stroke wet clutch gearbox oil. A good example is Motul Transoil. If this doesn't solve it, you may have a bent clutch basket which can cause these symptoms.
Lurker
P200e

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:24 am quote
Thanks, I'll check the Clutch Basket out too!
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:33 am quote
considering that it had been in storage for some time, i'd say it's most likely that the plates are sticking together. try letting the bike warm up say, 5 mins or so. then shut it off, put it in second and with the key off roll it in 2nd gear. usually that'll break free the plates.

also, check the push pin, brass washer and plunger.

finally, check the basket. hair line cracks tend to develop between the fingers, so make double sure your basket isn't cracked or warped.

but first, double check your cable adjustment. and make sure that your inner-cable isn't frayed and causing sticky engagement.

best,
-greasy
Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....
Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:02 am quote
I think it's cool that we're starting to get questions from the vintage riders here. What's even better is that the questions are getting answered by people that know what they're talking about.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:49 am quote
okay, final piece of advice-- but this is ONLY if you the plates are super stuck together and you can't get 'em free and you can't afford a new clutch or don't have the time to knock one out.

and remember, you didn't hear this from me.

drain the gearbox oil. fill the gearbox with marvel mystery oil, bel-ray 6 in 1, or WD40. run it till it gets nice and warm but not hot. then see if you can run it through the gears down the street. just bang-shift it if you have to. then kill it and let it sit overnight. drain the oil the next morning and pump in some fresh 30wt or whathave you and you're set.

best,
-greasy
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.6125s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1382s) ][ Debug on ]