Identifying models
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Yamaha Vstar classic 650 'Yamama' (Currently waspless but don't count me out!)
Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:02 pm quote
Folks, I feel a bit shy about admitting it but you're a friendly crew.

When I see a modern Vespa live, on TV or in pictures, I can't tell a GT from a GTS from an ET. I know, I know, pretty embarassing.

I actually got out some Vespa literature and put the GT and GTS side by side and scratched my head.

What are things I can locate to be able to tell the difference? I'm guessing there are some smaller, subtler things for which I could look.

Thank you for your patience with my novice questions....
Moderatore Dedicato
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180
Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:02 pm quote
Look for the chrome crest on the mudguard. Yes=GTS.No = GT
Also the little extra light on the front legshield.

ET's aren't as "square",and the wheels are a different shape..(Well,not square or anything!!), the "spokes" are curved,not straight..
Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm quote
Gts comes with the chrome rear rack, and extra light, the gt has the alum colroed one, the lx has a slimer rear end, more like a vintage vespa and a round headlight , the et4 is wider looking in the rear and the floorboard has more plastic
Moderatore Dedicato
Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:24 am quote
GT + GTS= round headlight. ET4= oval shaped.

Thought of something else,earlier and now forgotten it, and it's REALLY bugging me!!!
Vespa GTS 250 ie
Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:24 am quote
ET2 and ET4 can always be recognised by the "bug" looking rearview mirrors.
Peter
Addicted
Piaggio X9 "Lexx"
Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:43 am quote
LX looks very like a GT head on but the mudguard is much smaller. From the side or rear the LX has a distinctive long chrome rail.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:52 am quote
Besides what's listed above, the ET front turn signals have a unique shape that's different from the LX. The LX turn signals (or, in the US, running lights) are shaped more like the GT and GTS.
Moderatore Dedicato
Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:49 am quote
Scoots wrote:
Thought of something else,earlier and now forgotten it, and it's REALLY bugging me!!!
ooh,remembered! The plate on the exhaust...nice shiny chrome = GTS or ET4...not so shiny grey= GT...
Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:19 pm quote
ET-4 - Grey transmission cover w/ Vespa Logo
ET-2 - Grey transmission cover w/ Piaggio Logo
LX - Chrome transmission cover w/ Vespa Logo*

*Fits ET's for a little extra chrome.

This might be hard to notice in a TV commercial, though
Ossessionato
Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:51 pm quote
Radiator vents are silver on GT, black on GTS.
Hooked
05 Vespa GT200 & 02 Honda Reflex
Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:57 pm quote
Just to add to what's been written...there's a little chrome doohicky thingie on the front fender of the GTS that's not on the GT.

The difference between the LX and the GT/GTS (which look similar to me) is look for the vents on the sides of the fairings or leg shields. The GT has em but the LX doesn't.

Seats on ETs are different from seats on GTs which are different from the LX seats. GT/GTS seats look similar but I don't think they're interchangeable. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lisa
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Yamaha Vstar classic 650 'Yamama' (Currently waspless but don't count me out!)
Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:12 pm quote
'you know what I'm going to have to do with this info? I'm going to have to create some sort of spreadsheet with comparative data... not sure how it will work yet but there are a mess-o tell tale signs here and I need something to help me get them straight. Then I'll have to test myself on it at some rally somewhere.

If I can put it together and it makes sense, I'll post it.

Thanks to all for your bits and insights!
Ossessionato
Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:31 pm quote
LisaEsca wrote:
GT/GTS seats look similar but I don't think they're interchangeable. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The seats, themselves, are not interchangable. But, if you were to change the rear rack and the underseat cowl (basically, everything from the body up), they can be swapped.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:34 pm quote
mongoose wrote:
The seats, themselves, are not interchangable. But, if you were to change the rear rack and the underseat cowl (basically, everything from the body up), they can be swapped.
Didn't someone here say you could put a GT seat on a GTS but not the other way around?
Ossessionato
Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:20 pm quote
jess wrote:
mongoose wrote:
Didn't someone here say you could put a GT seat on a GTS but not the other way around?
That might have have been me. Thanks for reminding me. I looked at the seats at the dealer back when this was being discussed previously. The GT seat will fit on the GTS with no other parts. However, there will be a gap from about 2/3 the way back around the bottom edge of the seat.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2311s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0434s) ][ Debug on ]