Genuine Buddy
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:20 pm quote
Ok I know its not a vespa but has anyone heard anything about the new Genuine Buddy tehre suppossed to be out in the next couple months. My Girlfriends set on getting a pink one, I know there manufactored at the same factory as tng's, anyone have any comments on them, o and if you havent seen them yet

http://www.genuinescooters.com/buddy.html[/url]
Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:06 am quote
Actually, I think they are produced by PGO Scooters for Genuine.

I know Bryce saw them in person at the show a few months back. From what I remember, he thought they looked pretty good. Maybe he will chime in with a little review.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Yamaha Vstar classic 650 'Yamama' (Currently waspless but don't count me out!)
Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:07 am quote
It's surely a frontal attack on the American market!

Another discussion on marketing techniques, anyone? This time for a Stella.

There's a dealership in Minneapolis not far from work... 'sounds like a lunch run to me!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:53 am quote
Is everything still on track there? I read last month that the Genuine Scooter Company had stopped production of the Stella, and it wasn't related to the two stroke issue.
Hooked
2005 GT200-Vintage Green, 2004 BMW R1150RT-Biarritz Blue, 9' 4wt G Loomis
Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:55 am quote
Len, you wouldn't happen to remember where you read that, would you?
Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:08 am quote
I know there were some labor issues and the LML factory had a few lock outs, but I had not heard they "stopped production." Anyway, that has nothing to do with the Buddy that jumpinallday is asking about. Now back on topic or we will head this one into Stellaland.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:17 am quote
Tikka Masala wrote:
I know there were some labor issues and the LML factory had a few lock outs, but I had not heard they "stopped production." Anyway, that has nothing to do with the Buddy that jumpinallday is asking about. Now back on topic or we will head this one into Stellaland.
Thanks for the info
Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...
Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:11 am quote
Re: Genuine Buddy
jumpinallday wrote:
Ok I know its not a vespa but has anyone heard anything about the new Genuine Buddy tehre suppossed to be out in the next couple months. My Girlfriends set on getting a pink one, I know there manufactored at the same factory as tng's, anyone have any comments on them, o and if you havent seen them yet
http://www.genuinescooters.com/buddy.html[/url]

One of the better Taiwanese (or are they Chinese?) looking bikes, IMO. Simple colors and subtle detailing. Note the diminutive size of the emblems—no need to screem a model name from 5 feet away. No extra pieces of plastic chrome like the Venice or Baron retro models that act as lipstick on a pig. Granted, they're missing mirrors in the photos—strangely—but I imagine they won't hurt the overall look unless they're fat plastic mostrosities a la Kymco Bet&Win.

Webpage-wise, as a design/marketing junkie, I give them props for at least presenting their product in an attractive and pleasing format. Prices seem fair when you consider the 2 year warranty.

If I were marketing Asian import scooters that weren't Hondas or Yamahas, giving them a healthy splash of friendly, non-threatening nostalgic Americana would be one of my choices.

"Anytown U.S.A.". Clever, and spot on.
Ossessionato
Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:09 am quote
The one I saw at Indy looked pretty nice. I think it would look better with alloy wheels, but no big deal. The plastics all fit together nicely, and had high quality finishes. Overall, it is a very impressive effort. Despite being a pretty small scooter, it felt pretty comfortable to sit on. And they are made by PGO for Genuine. Having seen the PGO booth, the Genuine ones look better. I think it's primarily better color choices and lack of ugly decal graphics.

And Genuine really has a history of marketing brilliance. The Stella ads with beautiful, Italian looking women were tasteful and right on. Men could see themselves hopefully attracting that kind of woman, and women could see themselves being seen as that kind of woman. And with women making up so much of the new scooter market, that was a stroke of genius. Buddy is a good name, and the American nostalgia thing seems to fit nicely with it. For some reason, I'm feeling some Cushman kind of vibe.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:40 am quote
Of course you know I'm wonderin... CARB legal? Didn't see it on the site...
Hooked

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:06 am quote
The 50cc is one of the last of the 2 strokes, which has a lot of appeal in certain circles. And Genuine has a decent rep and deserves support and big props for having a new product coming. Plus the 2 year warranty is great.

But I wonder if I could be convinced to spend my $2500 on a Genuine Buddy 125 versus a Yamaha Vino 125.
Ossessionato
Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:18 am quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
They are taking the Stella into California, so myguess would be yes.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:33 am quote
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
They are taking the Stella into California, so myguess would be yes.
That's the theory, but they've been saying that for-ev-ar.

I'd definitely want to get a stella if it was CARB compliant... then again I really want a motorcycle too, and I already have 2 other bikes, and no convenient garage (I have one 4 mi from my apt that I can use, but that's less than convenient).
Hooked

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:29 pm quote
Uh-Oh, here we go into Stella Land...

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:24 pm quote
Hey, has anyone ridden a Baron?...just kidding
Hooked
KYMCo Vitality 2004
Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:53 pm quote
This is the PGO My Bu-Bu model being rebadged for Genuine much as the Stella is. I consider it highly unlikely the Stella will ever be CARB approved, their standards are higher than the EPA, and the Stella is living on a two year waver. The Bu-Bu is a 4T in the 125, and should pass CARB with little trouble, they just need to invest the money into testing.

Genuine's always to me been the model of what a scooter importer should be, they're quite open about the fact that they don't make these scooters, they just picked them out, selected the colours and the options, and named them. The site itself has a nice down home feel, and seems very professionally run, all in all, quite refreshing for one of the little companies.

As to Stella production problems, even if there is a plant shut down, ifn Genuine is doing things right, it shoudln't effect them, they should be stocking enough scoots and parts that a short shut down poses little problem, and with the Stella having only a two year lease on life, even the worst case scenario, LML folding up shop, isn't all that bad for them.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.7075s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0694s) ][ Debug on ]