Malossi Variator-Guinea Pig Time, Act III
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Molto Verboso
Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:32 am quote
I guess i wasnt clear enough in act II, the rollers have the weight printed on them already, my question was which roller give better performance from a dead stop?, You know, faster off the line.
I think its the lighter ones,(14g), the instuctions dont say, HELP!
dr
Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:11 pm quote
check out the www.battlescooter.com web site. in the tech section they talk about changing the weights and possibly give some info on mix matching the weights to give different types of power/torque curves. I know its a Ruckus site, but it might help.

Just looked it up, here is the link to the weights section:
http://www.battlescooter.com/6955/14601.html
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:59 pm quote
Re: Malossi Variator-Guinea Pig Time, Act III
ramrezz425 wrote:
I guess i wasnt clear enough in act II, the rollers have the weight printed on them already, my question was which roller give better performance from a dead stop?, You know, faster off the line.
dr
LOL, we all read II completely different. Okay, I got it now with III.

Here's an easy way to remember. Think of the variator without any rollers (weights) at all. It would never change size, and you'd be in low gear (accelerating) forever. The more weight you add, the faster the variator will change shape, from a small diameter to a large diameter. So, less weight means slower change in diameter, which means you accelerate longer.
You'll get a different rate of acceleration with Malossi's contra spring, versus the OEM spring. Since I don't know the spring rates of either, I can't tell you which one would provide the slowest rate of variator change. The one with the higher spring rate (stiffer), is the one you want.
Hooked
GTS 250ie
Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:24 pm quote
Its good to hear I'm not the only one who can confuse themselves!!

Have you taken it for a spin yet?

I went on our Sunday Mornign Mountain Ride yesterday - but with a pillion. Boy I really noticed the difference. Accelerating up the hill was a struggle (compared to normal)

I guess its time for that diet now....
Addicted
Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:02 am quote
ramrezz425 wrote:
dr
Lighter rollers make it quicker off the line, but you lose top end speed, and make the motor run at higher RPM's
Molto Verboso
Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:27 pm quote
dr,

I went and got popcorn and a drink, now I'm waiting for act IV. Where we learn what weights you used and how the scoot performs. What weight were the originals ?

Tim
Molto Verboso
Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:39 pm quote
Variator Chronicles
TFauch wrote:
dr,

What weight were the originals ?

Tim
Wow, I couldnt tell you what they are, But stay tuned and also find out who shot J.R. Ewing.
dr
Molto Verboso
Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:40 pm quote
Lighter rollers make it quicker off the line, but you lose top end speed, and make the motor run at higher RPM's[/quote]

Thank you...thank you very much. dr
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2703s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0619s) ][ Debug on ]