MY LICENSE PLATE'S BEEN STOLEN!
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
2003 Piaggio LT150 "Blue Hayate"
Sun May 03, 2009 11:44 am quote
To riders in Minnesota and surrounding states, listen up!

Yesterday, I parked my LT in a free zone for motorcycles to go to the library for an hour and a half. I came back, rode back to the garage, went to work on foot (I'm an Enumerator for the Census, and my assignment area wasn't far away). I come back to the garage to polish the muffler and the crash bars when I look behind to see the bare plateholder.

It's a Minnesota license plate, the number is 94226MD.
The tags expire February 2010.

If you find some asshole with that tag, BRING HIM TO ME!

I don't know if this will help because likely by now that plate is long gone.

But at least it'll help me vent.

Today, to get to the coffeeshop to type this, I had to take the stupid bus. There was a Meat Loaf song on the radio and somebody on a black Vespa GT200. And to put more insult to injury, I have to buy a new license plate while that jackass makes off like a bandit!

DAMMIT, THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!
Addicted
GT200, Honda GB500, Honda CB400, Honda C70 Passport, 1999 Harley Dyna, 2002 Suzuki SV650s
Sun May 03, 2009 11:53 am quote
There are anti theft screws for license plates. One of the sponsers of Modern Vespa advertises them on their web site.
Addicted
Piaggio LT150
Sun May 03, 2009 12:05 pm quote
WoW! That didn't take long.
Molto Verboso
2007 LX 150 & 1969 Sprint Veloce
Sun May 03, 2009 1:11 pm quote
Wow, that really sucks. I'm sorry it happened to you. How long does it take to get replacements?
Hooked
Dragon Red LX 150 (Hillary)
Sun May 03, 2009 1:13 pm quote
So sorry for the theift. Better days are ahead.

Paul
Resident Grump
MAC Motor, BBSHD. 30 Oct 2006
Sun May 03, 2009 1:30 pm quote

Just read that larceny and theft is Is 1.41 times the National Average in Duluth!! Wow, sorry Robert!
Hooked
2007 GT200
Sun May 03, 2009 1:42 pm quote
Plate's What???
MY LICENSE PLATE'S BEEN STOLEN? Use tamper proof hardware on your new plate.

Last edited by Major Tom on Sun May 03, 2009 3:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Burgman 400
Sun May 03, 2009 1:46 pm quote
Re: Plate's What???
Major Tom wrote:
Your license plate's what has been stolen? Sorry couldn't helped, no one else was coming in with the grammar police.
"plate's" isn't a contraction for "plate has"?
Addicted
Honda Shadow VLX (Fly 150 sold)
Sun May 03, 2009 1:50 pm quote
Major Tom wrote:
Your license plate's what has been stolen? Sorry couldn't helped, no one else was coming in with the grammar police.
I think the OP meant for the apostrophe and the s to be a contraction for the word, has, as opposed to the word being in the possessive.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Sun May 03, 2009 2:52 pm quote
Major Tom wrote:
No need, no grammatical law is broken here. In this case, the apostrophe was correctly used in a contraction.
Banned
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250
Sun May 03, 2009 3:33 pm quote
Major Tom wrote:
couldn't have helped, couldn't been helped, or couldn't help?
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Sun May 03, 2009 3:36 pm quote
Who the F cares about 's Very easy to not have something right if your in a hurry and don't proof read Sorry about the theft. Years ago i had my registration sticker stolen out of my glove box,raining so it didn't get put on right away. Almost 2 years later i get call from the police saying that they had found it. Only reason that happened is our stickers are good for 1 year so the perps got busted for expired tags What sucks is you will probably have to pay for new ones Good luck.
Sun May 03, 2009 4:14 pm quote
Realistically what is the point of stealing a plate?

The plates are registered to the vehicle's VIN, can you just walk into your lisence office with a pair of random plates and have them re-registered without someone noticing?

Would any officer looking up the plate not notice that the plates are on, say a ninja and not a vespa?

Either way, that really sucks, but a lesson learned that tamper proof bolts are necessary.
Addicted
06 GT200
Sun May 03, 2009 5:14 pm quote
judy wrote:
Who the F cares about 's Very easy to not have something right if your in a hurry and don't proof read Sorry about the theft. Years ago i had my registration sticker stolen out of my glove box,raining so it didn't get put on right away. Almost 2 years later i get call from the police saying that they had found it. Only reason that happened is our stickers are good for 1 year so the perps got busted for expired tags What sucks is you will probably have to pay for new ones Good luck.
THANK YOU JUDY , and I have missed our banter ! I do appreciate the grammar lesson…..i just hyperventilate when I can’t get away from it………..my ex used to do that alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. It’s funny, she still owes me a 100 grand , and I can assure you there are no grammatical errors in the letters I’ve been sending her for 2 years now…..

Also, I have the luxury of being single again (not really)…..thus spending time with 20 something’s….you better know your acronyms or your lost and alone , 30/40 something’s still mainly use full sentences……and the fact that I Coach youth Sports, and spend an ample amount of time around kids (both boys, and girls 8-16)……Whether we like it or not, the current generation, and allllllll future generations are going to communicate in “acronyms, a new version of shorthand, and tweets”…..cursive handwriting will be a thing of the past as the “Post Office” will soon be……”We will all write like Doctors ….what is this place coming to”………I know kids that text from the same table WTHay

Now, back to the “license tag”…….I have faith, that the perp will have bad karma coming their way soooooon …..as the individual in the first paragraph has recently been experiencing .

My motto ~ Decisions should be based on principle, and not interest only.

Live long and prosper ~

godoggo ~

-
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Sun May 03, 2009 6:50 pm quote
"Eats Shoots and Leaves" is one of my favorite books, but I try to restrain myself here on the forum, though!

Actually, I have no problem with the Grammar Police; I just don't want to take the heat myself.
Addicted
06 GT200
Sun May 03, 2009 7:11 pm quote
Silver Streak wrote:
"Eats Shoots and Leaves" is one of my favorite books, but I try to restrain myself here on the forum, though!

Actually, I have no problem with the Grammar Police; I just don't want to take the heat myself.
That’s great ......i love it....i swear, im gonna p/u that and keep it in the Jon. I’m surprised my ex wasn’t the “primary reference” for them...... ....I’m am not kidding, her Attorney fired her and came to work for my Attorney's firm......

Seriously, thanks for the heads up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eats,_Shoots_&_Leaves

godoggo ~

-
Molto Verboso
GT60
Sun May 03, 2009 7:13 pm quote
windbreaker in his role as a grammar copper wrote:
.... couldn't been helped,.....
Say what ? (shouldn't this be "couldn't have been helped" ? or "couldn't be helped ?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Oh, people stole plates more often here when we had photo radar. Probably helps thieves avoid photo tickets at lights, too.

cheers
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Sun May 03, 2009 7:24 pm quote
Silver Streak wrote:

Up against the wall and spread your vowels. I need to check you for dangling participles. If you verbalize, I will bust a CAP in your adjective. I am going to put conjunctions on you and take you in. If you are lucky, the judge will diagram your sentence and overlook that you are an improper noun, as long as I don't say you tried to preposition me. It will definitely be a lower case.
World Traveler

Sun May 03, 2009 8:37 pm quote
I'm not spreading my vowels for just anyone. DOG good to have ya back. Doctors have it easy you can't read their writing so who knows if they use proper grammar. I have a script so i can sleep on my long flights that reads "take one tablet 3 times a day at night for sleep Sadder yet they filled it at the pharmacy
Ossessionato
One of each
Sun May 03, 2009 9:26 pm quote

Time to give up scootering

The world of scooters is hard and unforgiving- much like the asphalt, and full of tough guys and tougher girls who try really hard and to make you cry. Even if they are on the other side of the internet. I'd go look in Maple Grove, for an excalibur gray GT200.

It's a tough world out there, and one day you might even drop it

Now, before you're a hideously deformed vision of what you were in your glorious youth; it's time to remove the cupholder, put the flag and lawn chair back on your bicycle, douse the cigar, sell the color matched gear, and put your plate free bike on the eBay, and never look back. To what could have been.

The smileys make this OK, right?
World Traveler

Mon May 04, 2009 12:14 am quote
RITCH if i promise not to pose for any calendars will you buy me that Atlier's Ruby helmet i've wanted for so long Polka dots are in these days aren't they
Molto Verboso
1967 Gran Turismo 1963 Lambretta S3 TV175 1971 Vespa Rally 180
Mon May 04, 2009 5:21 am quote
ritchj wrote:

Time to give up scootering

The world of scooters is hard and unforgiving- much like the asphalt, and full of tough guys and tougher girls who try really hard and to make you cry. Even if they are on the other side of the internet. I'd go look in Maple Grove, for an excalibur gray GT200.

It's a tough world out there, and one day you might even drop it

Now, before you're a hideously deformed vision of what you were in your glorious youth; it's time to remove the cupholder, put the flag and lawn chair back on your bicycle, douse the cigar, sell the color matched gear, and put your plate free bike on the eBay, and never look back. To what could have been.

The smileys make this OK, right?
Ha, ha! Or your other option Pres, is to put on your big girl panties and go get a new license plate.
Molto Verboso
Black Molly - GTS 300
Mon May 04, 2009 5:27 am quote
I bet it wasn't stolen... unless someone wanted to give you grief

It wasn't like it was a vanity plate - so why take it?

Probably fell off
Hooked
2009 BV250ie TOURER
Mon May 04, 2009 5:40 am quote
You don't have to take the bus!

You've still got your (or is it "you still have" oops) your registration paperwork showing you're (or is it you've) paid and the police can verify if they stop you.

Just report it stolen/lost, may be able to do so by internet, or RIDE to DMV.
Molto Verboso
Vespa GT 200, Harley Electra Glide Ultra
Mon May 04, 2009 6:40 am quote
Quote:

The plates are registered to the vehicle's VIN, can you just walk into your lisence office with a pair of random plates and have them re-registered without someone noticing?

Would any officer looking up the plate not notice that the plates are on, say a ninja and not a vespa?
I had plates stolen from my green Malibu in the 1980's (while it was parked for work in Norwalk, CT). After about a week they "reappeared" on the car. About 4 months later I got a $50.00 parking ticket - the car description was a Blue Pinto. Other than the PITA to go to court, no harm no foul.

I've always wondered what the knucklehead in the Blue Pinto was doing that he/she felt the need to "borrow" my plate!
GTS

Mon May 04, 2009 7:28 am quote
Your license plate is now on the back of my scoot and I'm running red lights on those camera enforced intersections; no helmet, but a gorilla mask so you know it's me!

Muah ah ah ahhhhh!
Addicted
06 GT200
Mon May 04, 2009 7:35 am quote
villain666 wrote:
Your license plate is now on the back of my scoot and I'm running red lights on those camera enforced intersections; no helmet, but a gorilla mask so you know it's me!

Muah ah ah ahhhhh!
-

godoggo ~

-
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Literider Envy

Mon May 04, 2009 7:46 am quote
SummersLastNight wrote:

That's the thing... people who steal plates aren't likely to go and try to get them legally registered. They have something without plates (likely stolen), or they don't want to keep the plates on something (again, likely stolen), but they know they'll be likely to attract attention without a plate. Any plate will do, at that point. It's not extremely likely they'll keep riding a long like nothing's happening if a cop pulls up behind them, so there won't be time for anyone to run the plate through the system and figure out it's on the wrong bike.

Unfortunately what happens most of the time is that the original owner of the plate has to suck it up and register for a new one, and the thief eventually gets pulled over for doing something stupid or having expired tags (because they obviously can't get new ones), and the plate is recovered long after it would have been any use to the original owner.

A vanity plate is probably less likely to get stolen, simply because it attracts more attention than a regular one to begin with. And sometimes it's obvious what vehicle it should be on (if it hints to a color or model or something).

Bummer some asshat had to ruin your day like that. Hope the DMV doesn't give you too much trouble getting a new plate.
Banned
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250
Mon May 04, 2009 9:28 am quote
oldswimcoach wrote:
I had plates stolen from my green Malibu in the 1980's (while it was parked for work in Norwalk, CT). After about a week they "reappeared" on the car. About 4 months later I got a $50.00 parking ticket - the car description was a Blue Pinto. Other than the PITA to go to court, no harm no foul.

I've always wondered what the knucklehead in the Blue Pinto was doing that he/she felt the need to "borrow" my plate!
That knucklehead obviously wanted you to have some trouble with clearing that ticket. Who could have had such a motive, that's the question.

Thanks for giving me an idea how to get even with some asshat
(not meaning to imply you were one for that knucklehead)
Hooked
2003 Piaggio LT150 "Blue Hayate"
Mon May 04, 2009 5:13 pm quote
Here's an update.

Today I went to the county Auditor's Office by bus. I wanted to ride, but I noticed that the morning time is when a lot of cops are on the beat, and I didn't want to go through the embarrassment of being pulled over and explaining what happened while I'm all "exposed" to the world (I feel like I'm the only LT owner in Duluth already...but I could be wrong, and I do invite people to prove me wrong on this). Anyway, I paid $13.00 for a new license plate (with tags), then I walked down to Advance Auto Parts and bought a 4-pack of locking nuts. Then, from there I walked all the way back downtown, then caught a bus to take me about 3/4 of the way back home. I went back to the garage where Blue Hayate peacefully sleeps, installed the license plate, then went back home.

Can you believe all this bullshit took 4 hours?

Also, to clarify, in Greensboro (where I used to live), there used to be a rash of cases where people's license plates would be stolen. Some people don't steal them to use them. Some steal lots of license plates, then they take them to the recycler and cash them in, similar to stealing copper wire.

Because there are lots of bikers here in Duluth, it wouldn't surprise me if someone was riding off with my plate on their bike. I'll make sure to find out who the twat is, rip him/her a new ass, then bill him/her $56,718.70.

$13.00 - Cost of new license plate
$4.50 - Cost of locking nuts
$1.20 - Cost of riding the bus
$56,700.00 - Cost of 1.5 missed riding days with perfect weather.

Also, I did learn a lesson from all of this.

1. Use locking nuts and bolts.
2. NEVER park in the free zone again
3. When parking, either:
A. Use the U-Lock.
B. Always keep Blue Hayate within my supervision.

I feel so much better now!

Mon May 04, 2009 5:24 pm
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
Addicted
'07 GTS 250, '09 BV 500
Mon May 04, 2009 5:26 pm quote
billg wrote:
Major Tom wrote:
"plate's" isn't a contraction for "plate has"?
Whatever--billg, I like your Avatar.
Addicted
06 GT200
Mon May 04, 2009 8:41 pm quote
-

you know Bro....some people here have gotten away with telling the Officer that "she's ony got 50cc under the hood" thereby eliminating any issue with tags ? Just a thought for that trip to the Courthouse....

How proficient are you from 50 yds for the next perp ?

godoggo ~
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2096s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0450s) ][ Debug on ]