@grscum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,

Ossessionato
@grscum avatar
UTC quote
Thought I would right up a quick little review after burning through my first complete tank of gas.

For my first tank of gas I was able to get about 65.5mpg which seems pretty good!

So far the GTS has been a great expierence, especially for my first Vespa. Having the fuel injection has been nice compaired to my previous dirt bikes, quads, street bike, and scooter. Its wonderful being able to pull it out of the garage on a cold morning and having it start up right away without messing with a choke and feathering the throttle. Handling seems to be pretty good for the mostly city riding that I have been doing the last couple of weeks, but have had a couple long sweeping turns that I have been able to get it down into. Acceleration is great in those times you need get it up to speed a little quicker. Still taking it easy on the acceleration for the break-in period, but have gotten an idea of what it is capable of doing. I did have to do a couple quick sprints on the freeway from one on ramp to the next exit and hit 65-70mph on one of those 1 mile dashes. Feels a little light at that speed, so any freeway travel I do will probably be in the slow lane at about 65mph. Braking has been good too, stops without any problem, but have not tried to get it into a rear wheel skid yet to see how it handles. The storage capability has been nice. Took it out for several hours last weekend and was able to haul some things that I needed to drop off at my parents and store some new tools that I bought from Sears while out running around. Glove box is nice too for small items that you need to get to easily.

A couple things I need to look into or have checked are a clicking noise while using the front brakes, and possibly some adjustable brake levers. When using the front brakes I can hear a small clicking noise, kind of like a baseball card in the spokes of a bike, but not too loud. The brake levers seem to be out a little farther than other bikes I've owned, so fingers get a little sore while covering the brakes. It seems more noticible when wearing my winter gloves, but not too bad with my regular ones that I wear in the afternoon.

I can't remember what thread I read it in, but there was something about the vibration of the scooter at idle and being able to reduce that vibration by holding the rear brake. I have noticed that and now hold the rear brake when at a stop.

Don't worry, no review for each tank of gas!
@gjco avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT 200-His, LX150-Hers, Road King-Ours

Hooked
@gjco avatar
GT 200-His, LX150-Hers, Road King-Ours
UTC quote
The clicking sound from the front brake is normal.
@sarah avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Stella

Molto Verboso
@sarah avatar
Stella
UTC quote
I think that clicking noise is common on most Piaggios. I don't know the reason for it though but my Fly 150 makes the same sound. From what I've read it isn't a problem or anything.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your scoot!
@scoots avatar
UTC

Moderatore Dedicato
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180

Moderatore Dedicato
@scoots avatar
UTC quote
I've haerd that "clicking noise" too.Had it on the ET4 as well,so assumed it was something to do with the disc brake..

Funny you should say about the levers.I have very small hands,and find them easier than on other bikes... :?
UTC

GTS 250ie (Deceased) Suzuki SV 650

GTS 250ie (Deceased) Suzuki SV 650
UTC quote
GTS
I have had my GTS for about 6weeks and has abut 1800 miles on it. The throtle has loosened up and I have had it up to 80+ on the highway. At speed it is a little twitchy with the stock shocks. However, swap out the stock shocks with a new set of Bitubos, crank the rears down and about 3/4 of the way on the front and this will create a more stable platform for highway driving. This does make it a little stiff in the mid speed corners but if you are used to a bit of rear wheel slide it's not a problem.

My biggest complain about the whole package is the choice of stock tires on the GTS. I don't even have the plates and the back Sava's are already blown out! Just got a set of Michelin Pilots and they are fantastic, much grippery.

Best with the GTS.....

"Keep it on at least one wheel!"
@scoots avatar
UTC

Moderatore Dedicato

Moderatore Dedicato
@scoots avatar
UTC quote
"grippery"...what a GREAT description! I've been trying to think of something like that for ages!

The stock tyres seem ok to me,however,when the time comes for me to change,I'll go for a more "sport" tread..
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
The "clicking" is the drilled brake rotor spinning across fixed brake pads when you apply the brakes. Those little holes in the brake rotors make a sort of buzzing sound as you're slowing, louder if you really squeeze the brakes. The rear brake rotor makes the same sound but it's harder to hear because the engine/transmission assembly and the scooter's body sort of prevent the sound escaping. The fronts have a more direct route to your ears, so we tend to hear them more clearly.
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT ABS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT ABS
UTC quote
Re: GTS review... 2 weeks in and one tank of gas
grscum wrote:
Its wonderful being able to pull it out of the garage on a cold morning and having it start up right away without messing with a choke and feathering the throttle.
Did you really say "cold morning" in San Diego??? Laughing emoticon
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
Munchi,

It's all relative...sometimes we wake to temps in the mid 40's this time of year in San Diego, but by noon it might be 78.

Len
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC quote
Is that a word?
GRIPPERY?, just curious. dr
OP
@grscum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grscum avatar
UTC quote
Good to hear that my front brake clicking noise is normal, gives me one less thing in life to worry about! It will probably be a little while before I work on the replacement of the brake levers with some adjustable ones, sine I must remove them so my friends cycle shop can measure them out and order the correct ones.

As for those cold mornings in San Diego... Len hit it right on target with his comment! My GTS temp guage said 48f this morning when I took it out this morning, and on the ride home at 4:30pm it was 86f!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0689s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0398s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]