Adjusting the preload?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:17 am quote
Ok so I decided yesterday to adjust my pre load up to the 3rd setting. I had been a year riding in the 2nd and bottomed out a fair amount. This bottoming out would occur in normal riding, over normal small undulations in the road.
So I proceed to do the adjustment. Did the muffler side 1st. Well the spanner wrench slipped off while I am using it. Bam goes my hand against something. Cut pretty bad in 2 areas. A bunch of cussing, and bleeding, and 3 baindaids later I am back out at the bike. Check the setting at muffler, it had gone to the 3rd setting right before slipping off.
Now to the other side. Before doing this though, I slipped on my mechanic gloves. This side is a pain in the but, no room, but got it done.

Went on a very long ride afterwards. Bike felt very good, did not notice as much bottoming out. Glad I went ahead and did this but my left hand middle finger (yea that middle finger) is now covered in a thick akward wrap.

Why can Vespa make it a little easier to do this adjustment? I now remimber why I waited so long to go up to the 3rd leval, Beale.
Molto Verboso
2005 Vespa GT 200
Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:53 am quote
Beale, I had a similar problem a few months ago, but wore a glove on the hand in danger. It took me over thirty minutes of the wrench slipping, cussing, etc., to get it done. I can't help but wonder, though, if taking off the two lower side panels might have made it easier. Probably not.
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:37 pm quote
This problem can't be blamed on Vespa. This is simply the way motorcycle shocks are made. The solution lies in designing a better spanner wrench.
Sorry about your hand though, Beale.
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:20 pm quote
Hey Gary thanks. The hand stings, but the long ride soothed it. I understand what you are saying about the shocks, and the tool. i guess I was just a bit ticked off because I busted my hand. I would love to see a better spanner myself, Beale.
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:31 pm quote
Something went wrong with my last batch of posts, because my emoticons didn't "stick". I specifically attached a "sad" emoticon at the end of that post, Beale.

Speaking of "sad", the motorcycle spring preload spanner is one of the saddest tools ever invented. One might even argue, it's not invented at all, but just in the prototype stage.
Lurker
LXV150ie
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:29 am quote
Not trying to resurrect a zombie thread, but wanted to add a potentially helpful tip. If you give the adjuster ring and bushing a squirt of WD-40 before you adjust it, it will often make it easier. I've worked on a lot of big motos where you practically needed a breaker bar to adjust them.
Hooked
Vespa Supertech 2019 (EURO3/APAC)
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:07 pm quote
addicted wrote:
This problem can't be blamed on Vespa. This is simply the way motorcycle shocks are made. The solution lies in designing a better spanner wrench.
Sorry about your hand though, Beale.
Not true. The SIP shocks i installed are much easier to adjust the preload on - no knuckle smashing
Hooked
Gts 300 notte
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:41 am quote
smellslikegas wrote:
Not trying to resurrect a zombie thread, but wanted to add a potentially helpful tip. If you give the adjuster ring and bushing a squirt of WD-40 before you adjust it, it will often make it easier. I've worked on a lot of big motos where you practically needed a breaker bar to adjust them.
do you have pics of where to spray? i tried googling but couldnt find any pics of those specific parts... i dont want to spray where i shouldnt
Addicted
BV 350
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:14 pm quote
Look
Figure out what rotates when you do the adjustment. Usually it is a sleeve around the main shock body, at the bottom of the spring. Spray a little lube between that sleeve and the main shock body. Usually there is also a 'pin' (or two) that the ramp rides on, and a little lube there isn't a bad idea either. Could even put a little where the spring contacts the sleeve, since the sleeve needs to rotate, and the spring, not necessarily.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:57 pm quote
Molto Verboso
Primavera ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 & NIU NQi Sport
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:08 am quote
Pics
This is on an LX with the LEADER engine

67431D6A-A2DD-4513-9C11-EB77E745D6B3.jpeg
Spray lubricant under the alu ring, so that you turn it (clockwise in this case).

45E4DCA7-1923-49E0-98E7-ACA6B5BF875C.jpeg
Also spray some lube where indicated to make it over the hump.

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:25 am quote
Haven't adjusted preload or damping since my new shocks were installed some weeks back, but I'm guessing it won't be quite as strenuous as the original rear shocks were (original front shock had no adjustments whatsoever).
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.4164s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0626s) ][ Debug on ]