OT: Aprilia RS50
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Author Message
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:34 pm quote
Anyone have any experience with these? There is one for $1500 about 20 miles from me, and I was interested. What year did they stop importing them? Any info is greatly appreciated!
a.s.
Hooked
Excalibur Gray GTS250ie
Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Posts: 265
Location: Boulder, CO
Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:08 pm quote
Pick one up if you can!

A friend of mine has an RS50 bone stock with a 70cc kit and it pulls 65mph. With the rest of the upgrades done, you'll be looking at 75-80mph.

Depending on condition...$1500 is a pretty good deal.
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:40 pm quote
I have read that they are pretty fragile though. the one I see has a Malossi 80cc kit and an Arrow Exhaust. I am gonna go look at it on Saturday. It may replace the PX150 as my around town mobile.
a.s.
Addicted
Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 640

Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:49 pm quote
I thought they still made/imported them to the US? Pretty sure my local dealer had one over the summer that he referenced when I was buying my PX. In accordance with your suspicion, he said they were pretty reliable until they were tweaked too tight, then problems arose that weren't covered under warranty, leaving the owner holding an expensive, empty bag. Maybe ask to have a shop look at it, JIC it's about to come unglued.
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:51 pm quote
Here;s the ting though...the EPA standards changed in 2005, so Two-strokes are no longer legal after 2005 for licensing. On Aprilia's site they do not offer the RS125 or RS150 on the US page. if you can find it on there, then please, please link me! I'll call my Aprilia Dealer tomorrow! I think it'd be SO fun to have!
a.s.
Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 1220
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:29 pm quote
There's somebody who lives near by me, who managed to get an RS 250 plated for the street, in CA no less. So it is possible, I just have no idea how.
Hooked
Vespa GTV250ie, Vespa PX125 and a Vespa P125X 30 Anni Ultima Serie (and a biker too with a BMW R1200GS)
Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Posts: 180
Location: Grimsby UK
Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:31 am quote
I had one for a year back in 2003.

Derestricted, it was amazing for a 50cc machine, and did a genuine 65mph. It would have gone even faster with a big bore kit.

A brilliant machine but very fragile. You need to warm them up for 10 minutes on tickover before riding them as "cold seizes" are not uncommon.

But a great toy. Not a small bike, either, for a 50.

J
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 6129
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:18 am quote
cool bike, but getting parts and/or support stateside is a huge pain.

people tend to kit them up, throw a monster carb and pipe on them and then promptly proceed to break the engine cases. hunting down a set of those is a real party. ask how i know that one...

best,
-greasy
Ossessionato
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport
Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 2896
Location: Riverside, Ca
Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:30 am quote
The price looks like a steal though. If you don't ride it like an idiot, you should be fine.
Here's a place that carries stuff for those kinds of bikes if you need stuff.
http://www.teamcalamari.com/
Hooked
GTS250ie
Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 169
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:47 pm quote
If it looks like a steal, it might be a steal.
My friend's RS50 got stolen a few months ago here in SF.
I would look very carefully at any paperwork.
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:36 pm quote
For sure. I am gonna look at it tomorrow or sunday. I'll take some pics and make him an offer. I'll offer $1300, see if he's desperate.
a.s.
Addicted
Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 640

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:30 pm quote
adamspx wrote:
Here;s the ting though...the EPA standards changed in 2005, so Two-strokes are no longer legal after 2005 for licensing... a.s.
Well maybe Aprilia pulled the plug on two-strokers but Genuine is producing the Rattler Buck Ten for US sale - couple guys on this forum have and love the snot out of 'um. Not dressed like a sport bike though. Maybe it's state by state?
Addicted
ET2
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Posts: 596
Location: MN
Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:00 am quote
Sock Head wrote:
adamspx wrote:
Here;s the ting though...the EPA standards changed in 2005, so Two-strokes are no longer legal after 2005 for licensing... a.s.
Well maybe Aprilia pulled the plug on two-strokers but Genuine is producing the Rattler Buck Ten for US sale - couple guys on this forum have and love the snot out of 'um. Not dressed like a sport bike though. Maybe it's state by state?
I believe california is the only state that has more restrictive emissions standards than the epa (mass?). But they usually, though I'm not sure about california, use a measurment of emissions. So if you could get a coal burning steam engine to emit few enough emissions, it would pass. Other emissions related equipment such as devices to capture gas evaporation are also may be required. The nonsense about 2 strokes being banned by the epa as a technology is about the most often repeated falsehood about scooters. (Only behind, 'you can park anywhere', 'you don't need a license', 'scooters are more safe', and only slightly more common for obvious reasons that once the two stroke 'ban' comes into effect people with older scooters will not be able to ride them.). Regardless, emissions testing is short sighted as unregulated crank case oil burning, increased tire consumption, as well as vehicle manufacturing and disposal are all overlooked.
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:44 pm quote
So, i went to look at it. It's IMMACULATE! It runs great...he has all the stock parts, and the receipts, and his name is on the title. I am gonna get it. He says it's jetted for 70 degree weather....well, in Seattle, here now, it's like 40 degrees...do I upjet or downjet?
a.s.
Moderator
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2009 Black GTS 250 Super
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 16224
Location: Toronto, Canada, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:56 pm quote
We still have them available in Canada brand new at the dealerships. I'm sure if you need parts you could contact a Canadian dealership to get them.

Enthusiast
MP3
Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Posts: 94
Location: Dallas, TX
Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:28 pm quote
benito
Picture = SR50
RS50 is a motorcycle
6 speed tranny
17" wheels
Moderator
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2009 Black GTS 250 Super
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 16224
Location: Toronto, Canada, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:38 pm quote
3up2down wrote:
benito
Picture = SR50
RS50 is a motorcycle
6 speed tranny
17" wheels
Damn, there's my dyslexia acting up again. I now see that it is the RS50 not the SR50 that you guys are talking about now Sorry don't mind me at all. I'll just go away now, carry on.

Last edited by Benito on Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
63 VNB / 03 BV200
Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 782
Location: Kansas City
Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:22 pm quote


The RS50 is a very fun bike, especially with the kit and appropriate periphery (pipe, carb, etc..)

But, Im not sure you want to replace the PX with this as your primary transport. The PX will be much more durable, reliable, and comfortable for daily commuting. Keep the RS around for weekend fun.
Addicted
Honda Fireblade - Suzuki DRZ-SM - Ducati 900S
Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Posts: 558
Location: Kitchener.
Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:27 pm quote
Benito wrote:
We still have them available in Canada brand new at the dealerships. I'm sure if you need parts you could contact a Canadian dealership to get them.
If it's still sold here: his local dealership network would be able to get parts.
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:32 pm quote
I bought it! Pics to come, when I pick it up!
a.s.
Addicted
Honda Fireblade - Suzuki DRZ-SM - Ducati 900S
Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Posts: 558
Location: Kitchener.
Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:35 pm quote
SWEEEET!!!!!
I Break Jets
Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Posts: 1376
Location: Concord, California
Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:41 pm quote
Nice! Let's see!
Addicted
ET2
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Posts: 596
Location: MN
Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:49 pm quote
adamspx wrote:
So, i went to look at it. It's IMMACULATE! It runs great...he has all the stock parts, and the receipts, and his name is on the title. I am gonna get it. He says it's jetted for 70 degree weather....well, in Seattle, here now, it's like 40 degrees...do I upjet or downjet?
a.s.
Typically in colder weather you upjet. Cooler air is more dense and has more oxygen per unit volume, thus you need more fuel. But in Seattle it's a tough call with the relative humidity going in the other direction. Drier air you usually upjet as well. More humid=down jet. So I'm betting that you'll likely be safe as it is (I never re-jetted for seasons when I lived in Seattle on mildly tuned two stroke 50cc scooters) but you should do plug chops on a machine like that to be sure. The performance will likely tell you the story on how far off you are on jetting. Upjet until it runs worse then go back a step is my usual approach. There is a fairly active mini-moto racing group with a yahoo group list (something like pacific NW mini road racing or something like that). They will likely be able to tell you how far off if the owner can't, but he should if he's owned it at least one year.
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:11 pm quote
He has owned it for a year or so, but only rode it one month a year. I will just figure it out. I am excited. I think it's gonna replace the PX...to be honest.
a.s.
Addicted
ET2
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Posts: 596
Location: MN
Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:29 pm quote
I remember a guy that lived down the street from me in the U Dist. that had one. I'm sure it made good power, but it's only in a narrow range. You really have to wring it's neck to get all the power. High revs and lots of shifting. Consider twice the revs and twice the shifting as the P200. And even more so on hills. I just hope you don't frequent Queen Anne or Capitol Hill and have a good back.
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:45 pm quote
I frequent Capitol Hill...crap! I live in Madison park....and work in downtown! The ONLY way to get to work is over Madison!
a..s
Addicted
ET2
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Posts: 596
Location: MN
Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:20 pm quote
I'm just saying try it out for a while before you ditch the P. I'm sure it will be a blast and sounds like a very good deal.
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:22 pm quote
I am ditching the P anyhow. I am gonna get a Ducati 999s, and if I come back to the Vespa fold, I would get a smallframe....something truly vintage...not a "knock-off" as much as I love my P, I want something with a bit more character.
a.s.
Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Posts: 6902
Location: Los Angeles
Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am quote
BGK wrote:
Sock Head wrote:
adamspx wrote:
Here;s the ting though...the EPA standards changed in 2005, so Two-strokes are no longer legal after 2005 for licensing... a.s.
Well maybe Aprilia pulled the plug on two-strokers but Genuine is producing the Rattler Buck Ten for US sale - couple guys on this forum have and love the snot out of 'um. Not dressed like a sport bike though. Maybe it's state by state?
I believe california is the only state that has more restrictive emissions standards than the epa (mass?). But they usually, though I'm not sure about california, use a measurment of emissions. So if you could get a coal burning steam engine to emit few enough emissions, it would pass. Other emissions related equipment such as devices to capture gas evaporation are also may be required. The nonsense about 2 strokes being banned by the epa as a technology is about the most often repeated falsehood about scooters. (Only behind, 'you can park anywhere', 'you don't need a license', 'scooters are more safe', and only slightly more common for obvious reasons that once the two stroke 'ban' comes into effect people with older scooters will not be able to ride them.). Regardless, emissions testing is short sighted as unregulated crank case oil burning, increased tire consumption, as well as vehicle manufacturing and disposal are all overlooked.
The CA and federal emissions standards are now essentially the same. CA has some additional qualifications for passing, as other states may have, but you're right, there's no ban on 2-strokes. It's all based solely on emissions.
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:15 pm quote
Got it home this morning! Pics to come...its pouring outside though! Where can I get parts to mod this thing? Any links?
a.s.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 6129
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:40 pm quote
http://sip-scootershop.com/

http://ve-uk.com/

best,
-greasy
Addicted
63 VNB / 03 BV200
Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 782
Location: Kansas City
Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:14 am quote
SIP is a great shop, although the shipping is damn expensive (expect typically $100 in shipping).

You could also check with Moped Hospital Racing ( http://www.mhr-usa.com/ ) they are knowlegeable on scooter tuning.
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:14 am quote
I went to SIPs site and found nothing....link?
a.s.
Sponsor
7:1
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 6008
Location: San Francisco
Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:00 pm quote
BGK wrote:
adamspx wrote:
So, i went to look at it. It's IMMACULATE! It runs great...he has all the stock parts, and the receipts, and his name is on the title. I am gonna get it. He says it's jetted for 70 degree weather....well, in Seattle, here now, it's like 40 degrees...do I upjet or downjet?
a.s.
Typically in colder weather you upjet. Cooler air is more dense and has more oxygen per unit volume, thus you need more fuel. But in Seattle it's a tough call with the relative humidity going in the other direction. Drier air you usually upjet as well. More humid=down jet. So I'm betting that you'll likely be safe as it is (I never re-jetted for seasons when I lived in Seattle on mildly tuned two stroke 50cc scooters) but you should do plug chops on a machine like that to be sure. The performance will likely tell you the story on how far off you are on jetting. Upjet until it runs worse then go back a step is my usual approach. There is a fairly active mini-moto racing group with a yahoo group list (something like pacific NW mini road racing or something like that). They will likely be able to tell you how far off if the owner can't, but he should if he's owned it at least one year.
I have a little Mikuni sliderule for main jet changes for elevation and temperature. After you get use to the changes you can do it in your head just as easily but it works out to ~ one jet size for every 20 F deg.

You can't hurt anything going up in jet size so if you've gone from 70F to 40F I'd go 2 sizes. If it then runs like crap drop it down one from there. To be safe I always go by the charts for upjet and by feel for down jetting. This keeps it on the safe side of perfect.
Addicted
ET2
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Posts: 596
Location: MN
Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:17 pm quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
You can't hurt anything going up in jet size so if you've gone from 70F to 40F I'd go 2 sizes. If it then runs like crap drop it down one from there. To be safe I always go by the charts for upjet and by feel for down jetting. This keeps it on the safe side of perfect.
Does it have a correction for relative humidity? I've always been meaning to pick one of those up.
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:41 pm quote
Got it running...it sounds so funny! That tiny Arrow exhaust is awesome...now time to go get some coffee...maiden voyage!
a.s.[/code]
Sponsor
7:1
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 6008
Location: San Francisco
Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:33 pm quote
BGK wrote:
oopsclunkthud wrote:
You can't hurt anything going up in jet size so if you've gone from 70F to 40F I'd go 2 sizes. If it then runs like crap drop it down one from there. To be safe I always go by the charts for upjet and by feel for down jetting. This keeps it on the safe side of perfect.
Does it have a correction for relative humidity? I've always been meaning to pick one of those up.
Nope, no humidity, but this one does

http://www.jetdial.com/weather.html
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 250ie, and a GO-PED hehe!
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Posts: 3752
Location: cleveland, UK.
Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:45 am quote
my mate had one, dont tune it though.

they just destroy themselves.

especially the 125cc versions!

115mph and BANG!

not good!


and it looks like a superbike........but it, isnt.
Addicted
1967 Super Sport 180
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 514
Location: Seattle, WA
Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:42 pm quote
Mine is not running...I think it was sitting too long. Tune-up is scheduled. I rode it before it bucked and died on me. It was blowing out some blue smoke...etc etc. It will be good as new quite soon! VERY excited!
a.s.
Addicted
ET2
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Posts: 596
Location: MN
Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:50 pm quote
adamspx wrote:
Mine is not running...I think it was sitting too long. Tune-up is scheduled. I rode it before it bucked and died on me. It was blowing out some blue smoke...etc etc. It will be good as new quite soon! VERY excited!
a.s.
Blue smoke is a good thing. If it stopped blowing out blue smoke then you'd have a problem.
2014 Rally in the Valley   Royale Enamel medium banner   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.5893s ][ Queries: 30 (0.1740s) ][ Debug on ]