@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
When my wife was learning to ride, I went out and bought a POS Honda 50cc scooter that who cares if it fell over. Sure it isn't economical for all first time riders to do this but here is where dealers or clubs could help.

The only stickler I see is liability but wouldn't it be awesome for dealers and/or scooter clubs to have a 50cc beater to loan out to newbie's? You don't have to have ANY experience to take the MSF course ad there bikes get knocked over all the time so why not learn on theirs instead of your new shinny scooter?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
You seem to be suggesting that someone could use a scooter clubs beat up scooter on the MSF, but I'm not clear what the advantage to that is.

The places that give the MSF provide beat up MC's -- that's part of what the money goes for that you pay to take the class.

The lions share of people who take the MSF pass it and have no substantive problem with the shifting.
OP
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
I was implying to not use your own new bike to learn on. Use a beater provided by a scooter club and/or dealer. The other option is to take the MSF class right off the bat and learn on their bikes. Sorry for the confusion.
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
For a new rider, I think it is an advantage to have a bike to practice on before taking the MSF.
I'm fortunate to have a friend who loaned me her Honda to learn on. She expects that I'll drop it at least once. The advantage for me is that I can practice shifting without going anywhere to develop muscle memory, much like learning to play an instrument. Shifting was my problem a year ago when I took the MSF. I plan to ace it this time. Since my house hasn't sold yet I have time if I need it to delay/reschedule my MSF so that I'll be confident going into the class.
OP
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Will they not let you do it there on a twist and go scooter? Did you know that Alaska is the only state that allows the operations (take off and landings) of an airplane from any street. So not only do you have to be aware of other motorists but also of airplanes.

I'm sure it is better to have some experience under your belt before doing the MSF course. This is why I think it would be awsome to have clubs and or dealers with loaner beaters.
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
cfargo wrote:
Will they not let you do it there on a twist and go scooter? Did you know that Alaska is the only state that allows the operations (take off and landings) of an airplane from any street. So not only do you have to be aware of other motorists but also of airplanes.

I'm sure it is better to have some experience under your belt before doing the MSF course. This is why I think it would be awsome to have clubs and or dealers with loaner beaters.
One can do the MSF on a twist and go scooter, but I don't have a twist and go. My GTS will be waiting for me when I get to Philly. The Honda is auto clutch, but one still has to shift up & down. A disadvantage is that one cannot feather the clutch.

Did not know about take off & landing from streets, but it would be rather precarious with all the signs and overhead power lines. A few years ago there was a commemorative flight by Wien Airlines celebrating the start of mail service to Fairbanks (I think). Happened in front of my house on what is now called the park strip. Used to be the air strip. The flag pole was taken down to provide a clear flight path.

When I lived in New Jersey I flew a Mooney Exec, but haven't flown for about 25 years. Kept it at Ramapo Valley Airport that I understand is now a housing development.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
It would be great if we had "beater bodies" to loan-out for the first 10,000 miles. Scooters are replaceable.
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
Laughing emoticon
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
addicted wrote:
It would be great if we had "beater bodies" to loan-out for the first 10,000 miles. Scooters are replaceable.
LOL-- hilarious!! 8)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0561s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0296s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]