modifying top speed to comply with NYS law
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Lurker
2006 LX 150
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 2
Location: New York
Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:37 pm quote
i am planning on buying an LX50, whose top speed is 38 mph. according to new york state law, any vehicle that has a top speed of higher than 30 mph is considered a motorcycle. i was wondering two things:
1) if the top speed were to comply to this 30 mph rule, does that mean i don't need insurance on the vespa? and that i don't need a motorcycle license?
2) does anyone know how to do such a modification on an LX50?
thanks for your help.
Addicted
Honda Wave 110
Joined: 13 Dec 2007
Posts: 611
Location: London
Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:39 am quote
Re: modifying top speed to comply with NYS law
paul10003 wrote:
i am planning on buying an LX50, whose top speed is 38 mph. according to new york state law, any vehicle that has a top speed of higher than 30 mph is considered a motorcycle. i was wondering two things:
1) if the top speed were to comply to this 30 mph rule, does that mean i don't need insurance on the vespa? and that i don't need a motorcycle license?
2) does anyone know how to do such a modification on an LX50?
thanks for your help.
Do they physically test the speed? If so, all you need to do is put a restricting washer in the variator, the exact same method the manufacturer uses where it's required. This simply stops the scooter acheiving its potential top speed without affecting anything else.
Addicted
et4 and px150
Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 930
Location: nyc
Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 pm quote
Paul, unfortunately just restricting the LX won't do it. The DMV maintains a list.
Quote:
"The DMV certifies a moped as a Class A, Class B or Class C limited use motorcycle according to top speed. The manufacturer requests the certification through the DMV Technical Services Bureau. Only a DMV-certified model of limited-use motorcycle can get a registration in NYS. The phone number for the Technical Services Bureau is (518) 474-5282."
http://www.nyscooterclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5484

So, with your scoot you need a motorcycle license whether you like it or not.

There is more info on this issue and other New York-specific scooter questions on our Forum, so come on by!
Addicted
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 598

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:05 pm quote
You should get your MC license anyway, regardless of how fast it is.
Two motorized wheels on the streets doing 30 is no less dangerous than doing 60. Take the msf and pass it and all you have to do at the motor vehicl office is take the written test. Trust me, you'll be much better off from what you'll learn in the msf regardless of whether you take the class on a scooter or a motorcycle.
Hooked
ET 4, GTS 250
Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 107
Location: New Jersey
Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:24 pm quote
d2mini wrote:
You should get your MC license anyway, regardless of how fast it is.
Two motorized wheels on the streets doing 30 is no less dangerous than doing 60. Take the msf and pass it and all you have to do at the motor vehicl office is take the written test. Trust me, you'll be much better off from what you'll learn in the msf regardless of whether you take the class on a scooter or a motorcycle.
+1 - and you need insurance no matter what as well.
Hooked
LX150
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Posts: 306
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:54 pm quote
Not to sound too outraged, but WHERE IN THE WORLD DID YOU GET THE IDEA THAT YOU COULD GET BY WITHOUT INSURANCE????????? Can't you imagine the amount of damage and injury you could create, running your 225# scoot into someone else? Don't you recognize your personal responsibility to make sure that anyone you hurt is adequately compensated?

The purpose of insurance is not to make it more expensive for you to ride, but to make sure that when you do ride, if you negligently hurt someone else or damage their property, they will be compensated. Unless you have so much money that you're allowed to be self-insured (most states put that at a minimum of $1 mil net worth), your wallet isn't big enough.

[Cary climbs down off of soapbox]

Cary
Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 2089
Location: Snohomish County, WA
Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:02 pm quote
+1

I have wanted to say that, but have been holding back! Makes me made when people want to get out of insurance and having a cycle license.

Ill stop now....
Addicted
bv 250
Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 731
Location: st. augustine
Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:59 pm quote
Cary Alburn wrote:
Not to sound too outraged, but WHERE IN THE WORLD DID YOU GET THE IDEA THAT YOU COULD GET BY WITHOUT INSURANCE????????? Can't you imagine the amount of damage and injury you could create, running your 225# scoot into someone else? Don't you recognize your personal responsibility to make sure that anyone you hurt is adequately compensated?

The purpose of insurance is not to make it more expensive for you to ride, but to make sure that when you do ride, if you negligently hurt someone else or damage their property, they will be compensated. Unless you have so much money that you're allowed to be self-insured (most states put that at a minimum of $1 mil net worth), your wallet isn't big enough.

[Cary climbs down off of soapbox]

Cary
Imagine how much damage? On a 50cc scoot slightly more than a bicycle
Addicted
'05 LX 150 "Rosso Dragon"
Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 526
Location: New Hampshire
Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:29 pm quote
maydaverave wrote:
Imagine how much damage? On a 50cc scoot slightly more than a bicycle
Where on earth can you find a 225 lb bicycle going 39mph?!
Molto Verboso
Vespa GT 200, Harley Electra Glide Ultra
Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: Waianae, Hawaii
Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:00 am quote
Any bicycle with me on it going downhill will meet the requirement!
Molto Verboso
Kitted ET4.
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 1657
Location: City of Lost Angels
Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:34 am quote
Agreed. +1.

You'll be a much more confident driver and the more you know the more rewarding/fun scooting becomes.

Best of luck.
d2mini wrote:
You should get your MC license anyway, regardless of how fast it is.
Two motorized wheels on the streets doing 30 is no less dangerous than doing 60. Take the msf and pass it and all you have to do at the motor vehicl office is take the written test. Trust me, you'll be much better off from what you'll learn in the msf regardless of whether you take the class on a scooter or a motorcycle.
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 250ie, and a GO-PED hehe!
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Posts: 3752
Location: cleveland, UK.
Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:26 am quote
mstevens wrote:
maydaverave wrote:
Imagine how much damage? On a 50cc scoot slightly more than a bicycle
Where on earth can you find a 225 lb bicycle going 39mph?!
what about a fat bloke on a bicycle going down a hill?

seriously though, scooters weight ALOT.

try lifting one over a fence like in a cross country bike race..

and get a full liscence, alot of riders on L plates are always leaving their indicators on and doing stupid things.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1204s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0325s) ][ Debug on ]