vintage fender crest on new lx 150
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:09 am quote
I've been looking at adding a little class to my new black lx 150. One touch that I thought would be nice is adding a classic fender crest. There are some real beauties out there but I haven't seen any on newer models. Has anybody tried to add one themselves?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'00 Helix TARDIS
Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:24 am quote
I don't know about finding vintage ones, but I know Motorsport Scooters has a new one you could add on. It's the same crest that comes on the GTS, but they say you can put it on a GT or an LX (with drilling) if you really wanted to. It might fit a little better than a vintage one, if you want a long one, because of the difference in fender curves (although, I suppose it also depends on where you actually place it on the fender). I'm going to wager a guess that it's also the same one that comes on the S.

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/Chrome-Front-Fender-Crest/324/
Hooked
2006 LX 150
Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:31 am quote
What is the most common question your friends ask you when you arrive?
Answer: Did you ride your scooter here?

Ha! hilarious, Witch, everywhere I go I say the same thing:
Well of course I rode my scooter... how else was I supposed to get there?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:02 pm quote
I believe the 08 Vespa "S" has a fender crest, and I'm 99.9% positive that it will also fit the LX150.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:06 pm quote
I've seen the fender crest offered on scoooterwest.com and it does fit on the lx with minimum installation. The only real downside to it is that it is made of a chrome-plastic. I'm sure that it would look great for one season but I'm not sure about it's longevity. The tricky part to using a vintage crest is the curve of the fender. I've thought of grinding a vintage crest to fit.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'00 Helix TARDIS
Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:14 pm quote
Whichever you choose, post a picture when you've got it done!
1962 GS160mk1, 1963 GS160mk2, 1965 SS180, 1974 Rally 200, wife's LI150

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:33 pm quote
I was always partial to the little airplane fender crest. I bet you could make it fit.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:55 pm quote
so here's the plan. i'm going to take a vintage crest, metal grind the contours to my lx 150's fender, and then send it to get chromed. i could even get it gold plated. i can't wait to finish the install.
Drift Unit SC

Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:04 pm quote
same
the crest on the S is the EXACT same as the gts.
That is the same as motorsport sells EXCEPT the little badge in front says gts or S depending on model where motorsport put the P for Piaggio on theirs.

I put one on a customers LX about a year ago. Looks good, you have to measure from the edge out and it stuffs under the body a bit -same as the S -
Addicted
GT 200L named Prosciutto
Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:55 pm quote
The airplane is VERY cool. I actually put the plastichrome GTS crest on my GT and it is a very simple install...just a matter of drilling a couple holes--however--alignment isn't simple...it's hard to find reference points to measure from. It would probably be best done with one of those laser carpentry levels that casts a line. Also, be sure to get the $3 screw and washer kit from Motorsports (it would probably help with the vinatge crest as well).
Please do post pics!
Addicted
Vespa LX150 w/mods, 1976 V90 smallie
Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:11 pm quote
I have a Jaguar I'm about to put on mine.
Ossessionato
fluffy bunny
Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:09 pm quote
It might just be me, in fact it probably is;

If I bought a brand new VW polo or whatever the latest coupe is (not been paying that much attention have I?) I would not be accessorising it with a rare vintage part - which I have to damage to bolt on - designed for a Karmann Ghia .

(1) Because it doesn't belong there and (2) because it does belong somewhere else.

Just the way I feel. Maybe I should shut up and go for a ride.
Resident Grump
MAC motor 2WD. 30 Oct 2006
Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:21 pm quote
Scooterrific wrote:

If I bought a brand new VW polo or whatever the latest coupe is (not been paying that much attention have I?) I would not be accessorising it with a rare vintage part - which I have to damage to bolt on - designed for a Karmann Ghia .

(1) Because it doesn't belong there and (2) because it does belong somewhere else.

Huh, I'll bet you have no piercing or tattoos then either...
Ossessionato
fluffy bunny
Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:25 pm quote
louisq wrote:
Huh, I'll bet you have no piercing or tattoos then either...
Piercings yes (although only in visible areas these days), tattoos no.

But I'm not depriving anyone of anything by that.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:37 pm quote
I really like the look of the crest that comes on the S and GTS but I just can't bring myself to use a plastic-chrome part. To me it's like using those cheap plastic hubcaps that you get at wall-mart rather than real rims. That being said, I agree that a vintage part should work with the modern appeal of the bike. I like the clean lines of LX and I don't want to ruin them with a dodgy embellishment. I'll keep it tasteful.
Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:08 pm quote
amacleod wrote:
so here's the plan. i'm going to take a vintage crest, metal grind the contours to my lx 150's fender, and then send it to get chromed. i could even get it gold plated. i can't wait to finish the install.
I've seen this done before on other scoots, including a Genuine Buddy (oh, the irony!).

I think the LXS crest says "LXS" on it. Could be my imagination. The Motorsport ones have a generic Piaggio logo.
Hooked
LX150
Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:45 pm quote
...but I just can't bring myself to use a plastic-chrome part.

FWIW, the Vespa badge on the back fender of an LX is chrome plastic.

Cary
Addicted

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:55 pm quote
i personally prefer the "screaming eagle" on my p.

pretty much says "don't f#@* with me, motherf@#$er." sometimes i just sit on my bike in my garage, and imagine i am riding on the back of this majestic creature, and the kickstand is it's talons, about to swoop down and pick up some small prey. yeah, i know, it's pretty badass.
Addicted
GT 200L named Prosciutto
Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:40 pm quote
Scooterrific wrote:

While I believe the airplane crest was created in the '60's I think it was an Aftermarket part for any old bike(I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)...So if you put one on a modern, wouldn't it just be Really Aftermarket?

Scooterworks has em: http://www.scooterworks.com/Air_Plane_Front_Fender_Crest_P3363.cfm

Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:59 pm quote
this was my first post on this website and i'm so impressed by the feedback that i've gotten. i was only expecting somebody just to post "you drill this hole and use this screw" but instead i've gotten real good feedback. thanks for all the posts.
Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:54 pm quote
Cary Alburn wrote:
...but I just can't bring myself to use a plastic-chrome part.

FWIW, the Vespa badge on the back fender of an LX is chrome plastic.

Cary
The one on the legshield is, too. I've been through 2 of them and keep forgetting to drop a metal one in my basket when ordering from Motorsport. The plastic-chrome ones eventually start to peel. Yay.
Ossessionato
Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:04 pm quote
Other chromed plastic parts of an LX are the Vespa logo at the rear base of the grab rail, the circle with the logo on the transmission housing, the tail light surrounds, the side reflector surrounds, and the logo covering the front trailing arm. This is just off the top of my head, there are likely more. More plastic than actual metal chrome, probably. I think it would fit the bike more overall to have a plastic chrome part. Also, I'd only bolt a heavy metal crest to a metal mudguard, not to the plastic mudguards of the moderns..

Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:59 pm quote
i have received a replica classic fender crest. rather than mutilating a genuine part i opted for something that i could work with and see whether it fits. the problem is that the part (which is a replica of the fender crest on a gs 150) is not very suited to the degree of the slope on a lx 150 fender. the placement has to be fairly high and the part needs a fair amount of manipulation. i really like the part itself but it seems to work against the lines of the bike. although i still plan to continue to try to make it work i have a feeling that the plastic-chrome fender crest may work better.
Resident Grump
MAC motor 2WD. 30 Oct 2006
Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:56 am quote

Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:44 pm quote
here are some mockups of the bike with the crest. i'm getting the part chromed. i'll post new pics when the crest has been attached. cheers!

web full.jpg

web friendly cropped.jpg

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 250ie, and a GO-PED hehe!
Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:59 pm quote
Scooterrific wrote:

let the mods play nice
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2625s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0407s) ][ Debug on ]