dead battery question
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR, BV 350 ABS/ASR
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:59 pm quote
My 2015 GTS 300 would not start but the dash lights come on. I haven't ridden it in a few weeks and before that it was just a bit slower that usual starting. The question is, should I buy a new battery or can the exiting one be recharged?
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:08 pm quote
That depends...

on whether it wants to be recharged or not.

It may be all right if you put it on a battery tender/charger for a few hours. On the other hand it might be too old to hold a good charge, especially if it's the original four year old battery.

I would try to charge it, then take it to a store like Batteries Plus and have it tested under load.
Banned
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:55 pm quote
Good recommendation.
Addicted
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). GT 200 - Kymco Yager 200i
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:40 pm quote
My GTS died in the middle of a long ride. The battery was hot to the touch. Remarkably, even though I was in the middle of the country, I was two blocks from an auto parts store that stocked motorcycle batteries. He was out of the cheaper one and before I spent about a hundred bucks, I asked him to test mine under load. It passed as good. I returned to the scooter, reinstalled the battery, and she started right up. Headed to the Vespa dealer anyway, and twenty miles later, it died again. After another 90 minute wait, started again.
At the dealer, a new battery solved my problem. Moral of this long story: The test, even under load, was not accurate.
One suggestion: I paid dealer price for a new battery that day. When my Kymco battery failed soon thereafter, I took a chance and ordered a cheap one from Amazon. It cost less than $35 and came in a few days with free shipping. Itís been perfect since. It was cheap enough to take a shot. KMG brand, made in China. I donít think Iíll buy another Yuasa (Taiwan made) battery again.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:31 pm quote
Kayemtee wrote:
My GTS died in the middle of a long ride. The battery was hot to the touch. Remarkably, even though I was in the middle of the country, I was two blocks from an auto parts store that stocked motorcycle batteries. He was out of the cheaper one and before I spent about a hundred bucks, I asked him to test mine under load. It passed as good. I returned to the scooter, reinstalled the battery, and she started right up. Headed to the Vespa dealer anyway, and twenty miles later, it died again. After another 90 minute wait, started again.
At the dealer, a new battery solved my problem. Moral of this long story: The test, even under load, was not accurate.
One suggestion: I paid dealer price for a new battery that day. When my Kymco battery failed soon thereafter, I took a chance and ordered a cheap one from Amazon. It cost less than $35 and came in a few days with free shipping. Itís been perfect since. It was cheap enough to take a shot. KMG brand, made in China. I donít think Iíll buy another Yuasa (Taiwan made) battery again.
Don't really know if this is true for consumer products, but just saying:

I've followed for awhile development of industrial electric vehicles. China has been and still is a major source for battery cells there too. What I've noticed is that if you take random samples from manufacturers from various origins, it's likely the products are quite OK compared to the specs given. The true quality is revealed only after you'll get a larger batch. Typically, a well known "good" brand = no surprises, even quality. A less known, often cheaper brand = you'll tend to get a lemon once and awhile.

My experience is only from industrial context, but I have a hunch it may apply at the consumer side too. Never seen a faulty Yuasa yet, not that I have any particular preference to that brand.
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:43 pm quote
The brand is not important in the case of non-complex components and a battery is, attributing greater defectiveness due to the famous name is a psychological whistle because we have been used for many years to think that by spending more we had higher quality; this "was" true ...not anymore today, not entirely, sorry
Globalization is deceiving us, what do you know that the battery with the YUASA brand is not produced with components from other non-Japanese countries? And what do you know that to stay competitive, they have lowered quality and kept prices high by exploiting the name?
This is customers' mistake, to believe that those who produce a certain object do it to please those who buy but it's just business; and in front of a business logic there is nothing that holds.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:02 am quote
Attila wrote:
The brand is not important in the case of non-complex components and a battery is, attributing greater defectiveness due to the famous name is a psychological whistle because we have been used for many years to think that by spending more we had higher quality; this "was" true ...not anymore today, not entirely, sorry
Globalization is deceiving us, what do you know that the battery with the YUASA brand is not produced with components from other non-Japanese countries? And what do you know that to stay competitive, they have lowered quality and kept prices high by exploiting the name?
This is customers' mistake, to believe that those who produce a certain object do it to please those who buy but it's just business; and in front of a business logic there is nothing that holds.
At the industrual side, what the "brand" names still do better is quality control at various steps of the manufacturing and delivery chain. As they do the control, less lemons = random poor quality products get to the customers.

The business logic depends a lot of the time horizon. If an industrial manufacturer aims for a long term business, it has to keep the quality good.

At the consumer markets the situation is a bit different, I fully agree with that. There are "brands" that are cool, sexy, full of tradition, and yet they are only adequate or even partly poor technical quality. But still, people keep buying them...
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:11 am quote
Double check the connections at the battery terminals. I had the same symptoms as youíre having, right after I purchased a used scooter. I just figured the battery needed to be replaced and ordered one on Amazon. A few days later when I went to install it I noticed the connections at the terminals were loose. I tightened them up and kept that battery in there and itís been fine.
Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:39 am quote
Auto parts box stores test batteries for free, just sayin.
Dead battery can be a good battery, it's that simple. I did golf cart maintenance when I was in HS (I was the caddy master too) when the first electric golf carts came out.
If I could do it then, you can do it now, cause, honestly, I didn't know much back then...
Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR, BV 350 ABS/ASR
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:12 am quote
Thank you for all the helpful replies, Iíll replace it since it was having issues in the summer with daily rides.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1349s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0275s) ][ Debug on ]