Cruise Control on GT200
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
2006 GT 200(I think my wife's now) , 2005 BMW R1200RT
Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:11 am quote
This is my cruise control for the GT200. It works in a friction mode and really does a good job. The only part is a yellow rubber gasket. A faucet washer will probably work too.

CruiseControll Off.jpg
This is the off configuration

CruiseControll On.jpg
This is on. It may be crossed over where half the gasket is on the grip and pulled out and over the bar end. Same principal. There is a gap between the grip and bar end on the GT so I just let the gasket fill the gap.

Molto Verboso
Current: 2004 GT 200 & 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200
Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:58 am quote
How easy is it to pull the gasket into position while riding? Street? Highway?
Molto Verboso
"Thread Killer Extraordinaire!"
Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:20 am quote
Re: Cruise Control on GT200
Rkirt wrote:
This is my cruise control for the GT200. The only part is a yellow rubber gasket.
Yikes! By the looks of it that setup seems unsafe. If you have to roll the washer out from the gap in the grip, you may be leaving yourself vulnerable with the inability to quickly react to changing riding situations.

Simple? Yes. Innovative? Yes. Safe? NO.
Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:21 pm quote
Zwerski wrote:
Rkirt wrote:
This is my cruise control for the GT200. The only part is a yellow rubber gasket.
Yikes! By the looks of it that setup seems unsafe. If you have to roll the washer out from the gap in the grip, you may be leaving yourself vulnerable with the inability to quickly react to changing riding situations.

Simple? Yes. Innovative? Yes. Safe? NO.
Old Harleys had no throttle return springs. You twisted the throttle and it stayed put. Older BMWs had a thumb screw that put friction on the throttle mechanism. I don't think this setup is unsafe. What do you think is unsafe about it? You still operate the throttle easily with the gasket in the "on" position. The friction just holds the throttle in place until you turn it. It is not locked in position.
Molto Verboso
"Thread Killer Extraordinaire!"
Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:27 pm quote
Rkirt wrote:
Old Harleys had no throttle return springs. You twisted the throttle and it stayed put. Older BMWs had a thumb screw that put friction on the throttle mechanism. I don't think this setup is unsafe. What do you think is unsafe about it? You still operate the throttle easily with the gasket in the "on" position. The friction just holds the throttle in place until you turn it. It is not locked in position.
If the throttle can be worked back and forth with the gasket/washer on, that's a little different but not as immdediate a response as simply letting go of the throttle. Even worse, if you have to actually roll the washer off to cancel the cruise control.

If the "old" Harleys and "older" BMWs "had" a similar setup, but no longer have them, perhaps there is a reason for it?
Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:44 pm quote
Zwerski wrote:
Rkirt wrote:
If the throttle can be worked back and forth with the gasket/washer on, that's a little different but not as immdediate a response as simply letting go of the throttle. Even worse, if you have to actually roll the washer off to cancel the cruise control.

If the "old" Harleys and "older" BMWs "had" a similar setup, but no longer have them, perhaps there is a reason for it?
The "reason" is called electronic cruise control. Check this setup out; http://www.throttlemeister.com/black.html . It operates on the same principal of adding friction to overcome the throttle return spring.

Dude, if you don't think it is safe, stay away from it. Far away. Personally, I think cars are dangerous
Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:52 pm quote
cipote wrote:
How easy is it to pull the gasket into position while riding? Street? Highway?
It is very easy to roll the gasket on or off the grip.
Ossessionato
GTS300 Super Blue Gaiola
Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:19 pm quote
A very simple solution.

I have been thinking about another spring on the carburettor, opposing the throttle spring for small throttle openings, so that I could ride no-hands for low speeds - up to 60kph, perhaps. But haven't figured where to attach it yet.

All my pre-PX Vespas would keep the throttle open when riding no-hands. The PX introduced that extra spring inside the handlebars. On my last PX I reversed the spring in the handlebars to get what I wanted.

Mike
I Break Jets
Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:17 pm quote
Zwerski wrote:
All Harleys are "old", technologically speaking. The '08 H-Ds still have the friction lock. They can also be started in gear while on the side stand. Amazing to me that in this lawsuit happy country, H-Ds are not idiot proof (yet).

BTW, Mike, DON'T ad a spring in the open position! If you must, take the return spring off.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.3352s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0521s) ][ Debug on ]