2 Stupid Questions . . . . . .
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
GT 200-His, LX150-Hers, Road King-Ours
Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:57 pm quote
1) Has anyone taken their kick starter off their LX150 and is there a reason why it should be left on? I'm afraid of someone screwing with it while it's parked and messing something up.

2) In Motorcycle safety class they said to always use the kill switch to turn off your bike. That makes you get used to where it's at when you have and emergency and need to use it (which makes sense). In my GT200 manual it says to only use the kill switch in an emergency. Is there any harm in using the kill switch every time I turn off my scooter?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!!!
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:59 pm quote
Re: 2 Stupid Questions . . . . . .
GJCO wrote:
2) In Motorcycle safety class they said to always use the kill switch to turn off your bike. That makes you get used to where it's at when you have and emergency and need to use it (which makes sense). In my GT200 manual it says to only use the kill switch in an emergency. Is there any harm in using the kill switch every time I turn off my scooter?
There's no harm, and in fact I think the GT200 manual is just plain wrong on this point. Use your kill switch every time you turn off your scooter. The MSF course is correct.
Molto Verboso
Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:13 pm quote
I don't think there is any harm in removing just the kick start lever. They make a cover that can go over where the kick start lever was to dress it up a bit. I use the kill switch every time I turn off the scoot also.

Tim
Hooked
'06 GTS 250 / '09 Triumph Bonneville
Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:17 pm quote
No such thing as a stupid question...

I'm with Jess on the kill switch. As you said, it's a good instinct to develop.

As far as the kickstarter goes, I can't speak from experience, but I do recall reading that there had been problems caused by the starter. I don't recall if it was internal or more like the case cracking around the shaft - I just remember reading somewhere that it could be problematic.

Now, nobody said anything about stupid answers, did they?!
2006 LX150 "Amadora"

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:54 pm quote
GJCO wrote:
1) Has anyone taken their kick starter off their LX150 and is there a reason why it should be left on? I'm afraid of someone screwing with it while it's parked and messing something up.

I was just wondering about removing my kick starter today. Weird. Like you, I am concerned that some person would play around with it. I have a vague recollection from an earlier post to never use the kick starter as something inside (a spring?) tends to easily break. I am afraid that my recall is rather fuzzy - but I remember that the "never" was in all caps!

I am interested in learning if anyone else had actually used their kick starter, or had it removed.
Ossessionato
Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:58 pm quote
JimW wrote:
As far as the kickstarter goes, I can't speak from experience, but I do recall reading that there had been problems caused by the starter. I don't recall if it was internal or more like the case cracking around the shaft - I just remember reading somewhere that it could be problematic.
Voice of experience: Using the kickstarter CAN crack the case. Fortunately, my dealer replaced it under warranty, even thought I was about 2 months past the 1-year, unlimited miles factory warranty.
Molto Verboso
Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:07 pm quote
I just replace the cracked cover on my ET4 last weekend $98.

Tim
Addicted
ET4-150 GTS250ie PX200 with Cozy Sidecar
Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:41 pm quote
My ET4 battery was almost dead. ie would not turn over the engine but the starter motor did run but not engage the bendix. Typical for a low battery on an ET4.

I used the kick starter and pushed the start button at the same time and the ET4 kicked over and started.

I will be leaving my kick starter attached.
Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:30 pm quote
Sheepish confession: I have yet to successfully use the kickstarter. The manual was rather vague on using it, but, having ridden motorcycles, I figured it would work the same, sans clutch.

I treat it as a chrome accessory at this point.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:48 pm quote
ericalm wrote:
Sheepish confession: I have yet to successfully use the kickstarter.
Please, for the sake of your transmission cover, don't try anymore, unless your scooter is dead and there's a large beast with fangs coming after you.
Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:26 pm quote
I have using the kill switch to turn off the scooter ever since I took the MSF course a year ago. I think it's good practice.

Being the thick, headstrong lug that I am, I kick started my ET4 many times just to make sure I could do it if I had too. I stopped doing it right away after I found this forum and read posts about the cracking. Luckily, nothing ever cracked, but I wouldn't remove the lever because, you never know, you might need it.

As far as other people messing with the starter, some years ago I saw a motorcycle with this sticker on the gas tank:

"If you value your life as much as I value this motorcycle, then don't **** with it."

People laughed, but nobody touched it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Yamaha Vstar classic 650 'Yamama' (Currently waspless but don't count me out!)
Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:31 pm quote
I also heard to use the kill switch in the MSF. Other than knowing where it is... what is the advantage of consistently using it?

Has anyone here experienced a run away motor while riding so that they had to use it? From reading the manual that sounds like it's entire reason for being!

(I guess for me, using it just means one more "doh!" when I try to start it and it doesn't go)
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant
Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:36 pm quote
GJCO wrote:

I removed my starter about 3 days after I got my ET-4 in 2002. I keep it in my undersaet pet carrier just in case (just in case I want to frustrate myself while attempting to crack the case if my battery checks out!) I dressed up the remaining "stub" with a small black rubber cap from Lowes...looks great! I'm just like that.

Last edited by gogogordy on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:37 pm quote
The first reason to use it is so you develop an automatic reflex, and can turn it off without fumbling for the switch.
lomunchi wrote:
(I guess for me, using it just means one more "doh!" when I try to start it and it doesn't go)
This is the second (and reciprocal) reason to use it. If you always use the kill switch to turn it off, then you'll always have turning on the kill switch as part of your startup procedure. Thus, you'll never ever sit there, scratching your head, wondering why your scooter won't turn on.

Trust me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Yamaha Vstar classic 650 'Yamama' (Currently waspless but don't count me out!)
Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:51 pm quote
:? :? :?
But getting used to using it doesn't explain to me why I SHOULD use it?

I could also make it a standard practice to leap onto my Vespa from behind... but why?

I'm thinking there's a very good reason or you smart people wouldn't be doing it. I'm just one of those guys that has to know "why" for everything.
Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:01 pm quote
You mean everybody doesn't leap onto their Vespa from behind?
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:15 pm quote
lomunchi wrote:
I'm thinking there's a very good reason or you smart people wouldn't be doing it. I'm just one of those guys that has to know "why" for everything.
Oh, I thought that had been clearly stated -- so that, in an emergency, you can turn off the engine by reflex without fumbling for the switch.
Addicted
'10 GTV 250 i.e
Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:34 pm quote
Quote:
I could also make it a standard practice to leap onto my Vespa from behind... but why?
Please don't try this with a top box fitted - unless you're very tall
Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:30 pm quote
Kill switch? Kill switch.
Don't have one.

And I always use the kickstart to get going if the engine is still somewhat warm.
Ossessionato
Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:04 pm quote
Hayes wrote:
And I always use the kickstart to get going if the engine is still somewhat warm.
That's no big deal on a P. It's a pretty well designed kick start. Unfortunately, those LEADER kick starters really are just trim, essentially.
Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:53 pm quote
See, I'm wiser now than I was when I woke up
Hooked
'07 GTS Rosso Dragon
Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:24 am quote
I accidentially hit the kill switch while waiting at a light yesterday so i'm extremely aware of where it is now

I couldn't get it started again (of course I was in a panic since it was very busy intersection) but I pulled off to the side quickly and it started right up after a turn of the key to off and back on again (I suppose a safety feature) but I look at that switch all the time now!
Hooked
2005 GT200-Vintage Green, 2004 BMW R1150RT-Biarritz Blue, 9' 4wt G Loomis
Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:03 am quote
Ok, I'll stir the pot.

The MSF class teaches, "the best sourse for information on the opperation of your motorcycle can be found in your owners manual". Everyone agree? They also teach, "use your kill switch everytime you turn off your motorcycle". But the GT manual says not to use the kill switch? So which advice do we follow?

Now since I plan on passing the rest of my MSF...I will not be asking this question in calss.

I think everyone should leap onto their scooter from behind. In fact we could start a trend. It if was good enough for Tonto, it should be good enough for us.
Hooked
Vintage Green GT125
Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:09 am quote
I removed the kick start lever (to spray the transmission cover) and forgot to put it on compounded by losing the nut/bolt.

I've had no problems at all.

With a flat battery I started my ET4 but it took me around 20 minutes and I am sure I am only lucky I didn't cause serious damage.
Hooked
LX 150, Derbi Boulevard 150, 2 Honda Elite SR's
Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:17 am quote
TFauch,
You said that they make a cover for the kick starter opening. Who makes the cover, and where can I get it? Thanks.
Enthusiast
2005 Silver Vespa ET4, 2007 Burnt Orange Kawasaki Versys
Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:19 am quote
On our MSF, we were taught not to use the emergency kill switch unless it was an actual emergency. It is akin to braking in your car with the emergency brake so you don't forget it's there.

The switch is bright red, pretty easy to find in a moment of panic if you aren't colour blind. I will follow Vespa's service manual advice, which is the same as what I was taught at the MSF.
Molto Verboso
Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:23 am quote
Les,

When I ordered my replacement cover from Vespa Hartford told me they had a cover for lever. (Doug or Dave)

Tim

Maybe like These from JC Whitney.

Hooked
GT 200-His, LX150-Hers, Road King-Ours
Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:37 am quote
Thanks to all who answered!!!! I'll continue to use my kill switch. Does anyone have any pictures of the covers they have put on their LX after removing the kick starter?
Addicted
gt200
Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:55 am quote
lomunchi wrote:
:? :? :?
But getting used to using it doesn't explain to me why I SHOULD use it?

I started off using it then stop when the man' said it wasn't good, but may start using it again.

As for a real reason, the only one that come to mind right now is when I participate in a parade and one of the ride never rode before and though it was a no brain. That is until while trying to make a u turn in an semi inclose space (blocked by people and barriers). He panic and rolled the throttle, the LX took off he got air born and crashed! Luckily everybody was okay, except for the scoot. But had he been trained, he MIGHT have been able to kill it before it was to late.

x
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Neck Scarves   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2992s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0425s) ][ Debug on ]