MP3 Performance Upgrades
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
Had a Piaggio MP3 250ie Graphite Black
Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:49 pm quote
Hello to all

I'm new to the forum so g'day from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. In Oz, there doesn't seem to be a forum with a dedicated MP3/Fuoco section so I though I would join up and lurk for a bit

FYI I own a Vespa ET4 150cc (no performance mods).

I do have a question though relating to the MP3 250cc specifically. Has anyone done performance modification to this type yet? That is, have you put on a multi-var or a new up-gear kit. Are these kits even available yet for the MP3 engine types?

Here in Queensland, you can ride up to a 250cc bike on your basic motorcycle licence. That, accompanied with the savings on insurance, rego, fuel economy that come with 250cc models makes me want to get the 250cc version.

I have heard through reading the many excellent post on the forum that the 250cc suffers a bit from take off power but, once it is off an running, performs very well around the city and can do highway speeds (is 110km/h something you would consider doing on a 250 - with a bit left over for overtaking?).

Surely a performance mod such as a multi-var could give you awesome acceleration and better top speed if you get the variator weights right.

What do you all think about this?

Thanks for your help.

Jared
Ossessionato
Baart-less
Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:49 pm quote
The MP3 250 engine is the same one that's in the GTS 250 so any performance mods for those will be the same for the MP3. We have seen and felt great results from putting the J. Costa variator on the GTS, undoubtedly the best performance bang for the buck. I'm not sure if anyone on this board has put one on an MP3 though.
I have not heard of an up gear kit for the GTS drive train, but it sure would be welcome!
A couple of other considerations would be the Leo Vince 4 road exhaust coupled with the Super Corsa fuel injection box available from Motorsport Scooters.

Also check out what Scooter Trap has for the MP3.

I took an hour long test ride on an MP3 250 the other day and was quite impressed by the in town performance. The acceleration was quite pleasing, but I found the top end lacking. On a long, flat, straight stretch I managed to wring 120 km/h (indicated) out of it - not bad considering the weight and the size of engine but personally I want more. Myself, I'm looking quite hard at the MP3 400.

Dave

PS welcome to the forum!
Moderaptor
2xGP800, Fuoco, The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:20 pm quote
The reports (and my limited test experience) makes me think the off-the-line acceleration of the 250 MP3 is close to the 400 up to 25-ish mph. After that the 400 just pulls away - but for city use the 250 is fine, and still great fun out on the open road. Overtakes will have to be considered carefully though, but taking into account the financial benefits (the 250 is also the most economical) it might prove the winner.

Test ride them both, and work out what you want to afford. Either will please, I'm sure.
Addicted
Suzuki Burgman Executive 650
Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:38 pm quote
Re: MP3 Performance Upgrades
jaredmorgs wrote:
...once it is off an running, performs very well around the city and can do highway speeds (is 110km/h something you would consider doing on a 250 - with a bit left over for overtaking?)...
Hi Jared, and welcome to the forum. I have a 250cc MP3, and cruise, all the time, at 120 kph; however cruising at that speed does not give you much for overtaking and passing. Though I've had my MP3 up to 139 kph, accelerating from 120 to 139 takes a while. Acceleration from 120 to 130 is fairly brisk!

By the way "87and still..." added a J.Costa Variator, LeoVinci Exhaust System and Kevlar Belt to his MP3 250. He feels with those mods, his MP3 performs very similar to the 400cc version.
Moderaptor
2xGP800, Fuoco, The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:47 pm quote
The original belt is Kevlar, and is more durable than any after-market product. This applies to all Piaggio belts in the last ten years, so let's nail that one down while we can.
Molto Verboso
MP3 250
Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:58 pm quote
For me I like the gas mileage instead of the extra things that would reduce it..The best thing I did to improve the proformance was replacing that stock Champion plug with the NGK CR9EIX stock #3521 Iridium plug..And what's funny the MP3 spark plug cap say's NGK on it and they use Champion plugs..Also learn how 2 clean the air filter and do it often..With that plug better power and cleaning the air filter and change your own oil and filter every 3000 miles who knows how long that little 250 engine will last...

Last edited by ufo on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Had a Piaggio MP3 250ie Graphite Black
Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:27 pm quote
Thanks everyone for welcoming me and for the excellent info. I'll check out the sites in the previous posts and see what is around.

Hey ufo, are you saying that putting performance enhancements such as variators and exhaust systems actually increases fuel consumption? I thought the only way fuel consumption was increased if if you put a larger carburettor on the engine. Also, what effect did changing the sparkplug in the engine do for you. Do you just get better/cleaner combustion?

Thanks everyone.

Jared
Molto Verboso
MP3 250
Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:37 pm quote
I have a Vino 125 yamaha and just had different rollers put in...That gas gauge goes fast..Sure it is a little faster but I have 2 fill it up twice as much and it only has a one gallon tank...It ain't worth it 2 me....What is all this stuff about going Green If you just want 2 use more gas? Oh the other day in my travels I saw my first Can Am spider on the freeway. I was on a winding road off the freeway having fun and thought what fun is riding that going 90 on the freeway racing other cars in a straight line..Not me ...
Ossessionato
Baart-less
Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:04 pm quote
jaredmorgs wrote:
Thanks everyone for welcoming me and for the excellent info. I'll check out the sites in the previous posts and see what is around.

Hey ufo, are you saying that putting performance enhancements such as variators and exhaust systems actually increases fuel consumption? I thought the only way fuel consumption was increased if if you put a larger carburettor on the engine. Also, what effect did changing the sparkplug in the engine do for you. Do you just get better/cleaner combustion?

Thanks everyone.

Jared
Most modifications, and most certainly the J. Costa variator will increase your fuel consumption. There are two sides to every coin and and if you want more performance you have to pay for it somewhere. With the J. Costa unit though, the small amount of extra fuel used is well worth the performance gains!!

Dave
Molto Verboso
MP3 250
Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:07 pm quote
I need a clutch....mine is shot..lol
Hooked
MP3 500
Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:43 am quote
Chetwynder wrote:
The MP3 250 engine is the same one that's in the GTS 250 so any performance mods for those will be the same for the MP3. We have seen and felt great results from putting the J. Costa variator on the GTS, undoubtedly the best performance bang for the buck. I'm not sure if anyone on this board has put one on an MP3 though.
I have not heard of an up gear kit for the GTS drive train, but it sure would be welcome!
A couple of other considerations would be the Leo Vince 4 road exhaust coupled with the Super Corsa fuel injection box available from Motorsport Scooters.

Also check out what Scooter Trap has for the MP3.

I took an hour long test ride on an MP3 250 the other day and was quite impressed by the in town performance. The acceleration was quite pleasing, but I found the top end lacking. On a long, flat, straight stretch I managed to wring 120 km/h (indicated) out of it - not bad considering the weight and the size of engine but personally I want more. Myself, I'm looking quite hard at the MP3 400.

Dave

PS welcome to the forum!
Are the parts at Scooter Trap quality replacement parts for the MP3? Or should I use caution when ordering something from there to modify my scooter?

Thanks - Dan
Ossessionato
Baart-less
Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:00 am quote
Danjo wrote:
Are the parts at Scooter Trap quality replacement parts for the MP3? Or should I use caution when ordering something from there to modify my scooter?

Thanks - Dan
Quality products and top notch customer service from Scooter Trap. The same holds true for Motorsport Scooters and Jettin'.

Dave
Hooked
MP3 500
Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:19 am quote
Thanks for the input.
Hooked
mp3 250 "Windy"
Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:44 pm quote
Chetwynder wrote:
With the J. Costa unit though, the small amount of extra fuel used is well worth the performance gains!!
How much extra fuel are we talking about?
Ossessionato
Baart-less
Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:38 pm quote
lostboy wrote:
Chetwynder wrote:
With the J. Costa unit though, the small amount of extra fuel used is well worth the performance gains!!
I wish I could give you figures but I can't, I never calculated my mileage. I didn't buy the GTS with the thought of saving money on fuel, I bought it purely for fun. As a guess I would say maybe 5 mpg, but you must be aware that a lot of the fuel consumption comes from the use of the right hand on the throttle. The power rush that the variator adds is absolutely addictive and I would twist that grip at every chance I had.

Dave
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sun May 06, 2012 6:39 pm quote
Chetwynder wrote:
lostboy wrote:
Chetwynder wrote:
I wish I could give you figures but I can't, I never calculated my mileage. I didn't buy the GTS with the thought of saving money on fuel, I bought it purely for fun. As a guess I would say maybe 5 mpg, but you must be aware that a lot of the fuel consumption comes from the use of the right hand on the throttle. The power rush that the variator adds is absolutely addictive and I would twist that grip at every chance I had.

Dave
Dave ... I'm guessing you have been writing down your mileage at each fill up?

If so ... Substract the high mileage from the low mileage and divide the results by the number of gallons you just filled up with.

that should give you your mileage per gallon.

FM
Molto Verboso
Piaggio BV 350
Mon May 07, 2012 1:50 am quote
FunkyMonkey wrote:
Chetwynder wrote:
lostboy wrote:
Chetwynder wrote:

Dave

If so ... Substract the high mileage from the low mileage and divide the results by the number of gallons you just filled up with.

FM
Reaching over four years into the past...
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Mon May 07, 2012 2:45 am quote
LJClark wrote:
FunkyMonkey wrote:
Chetwynder wrote:
lostboy wrote:
Chetwynder wrote:

Dave

FM
Reaching over four years into the past...
Yep ... just wanted to make sure I was reading everything LoL ... besides, I was late getting started
Rallies Europe 2015   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.5085s ][ Queries: 33 (0.1062s) ][ Debug on ]