More Battery Issues...
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Member
'05 GT200L Vintage Green
Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 31
Location: Rockville, MD
Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:34 am quote
So I hate to admit my extreme level of ignorance in public and all, but I'm desperate, so here goes.

I've done a couple searches, and there are many threads on dead batteries, but they all seem to address someone with a modicum of maintenance abilities Furthermore, you've said so much that I'm utterly confuzzled.

Here's the issue: I usually ride intermittently throughout the winter, but this year has sucked. Therefore... my GT 200 has been in the garage, lonely, for around 3 months. Never been through this before, since I commute on my scoot and I've got about 8k miles on it, so she doesn't get neglected often. Tried to start it up yesterday, and she's dead. No ignition turn over at all. No sound. I figure it's most likely the battery. (cross fingers there are no gas issues once I get this battery thing worked out) but from here I'm not sure which route to go:

New battery? Battery tender? I read a post about the optimate III and something about sulfates?

What all needs to be tested in order to determine? If I get a new battery, I read a few things about filling with this or topping off this or charging that - what all do I have to do if I get a new battery?

um, please help the desperate.
Moderator
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 16295
Location: Toronto, Canada, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:49 am quote
If the scooter and battery have been unattended for that length of time it is likely that the battery is dead. I would first attempt to recharge it with a battery tender. If the battery isn't completely run down this might work. If the battery is completely toast the tender nor any other device will be able to recharge it, in that case a new battery is what you might need to get.

In the meantime seeing as winter is not yet over, I would also get some stabil to add to your gas tank. Top up with gas and once you have your battery sorted, ride/run your scooter about 10-15 mins to get the stabil in the gas line, otherwise the gas will gum up the gas line.
Hooked
LX150
Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 106
Location: Columbia, SC
Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:02 am quote
Are your battery fluids low? If so fill them up with distilled water, recharge on the tender and give it a go again.
Molto Verboso
Alex the Portofino Green LX 150
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 1335
Location: San Jose, CA
Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:15 am quote
+ 1 to Benito and MosiacMama.


Definitely invest in a battery tender in the future. I left my LX for 3.5 months, charging 2x a week. Came back, battery was still alive ... It'll save you a piece of mind not having to figure out if the battery is dead or not.
Member
'05 GT200L Vintage Green
Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 31
Location: Rockville, MD
Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:27 am quote
caligurl wrote:
Definitely invest in a battery tender in the future. I left my LX for 3.5 months, charging 2x a week. Came back, battery was still alive ... It'll save you a piece of mind not having to figure out if the battery is dead or not.
That's great and all; I think I've gotten that point drilled home. Get a tender and get stabilizer. Got it. However, I still lack a lot of necessary info that I need to get going:
If I hook it up to a tender, how long before I can figure out it's not charging it? (Not to mention that I don't even know how to get If I buy a new battery from a shop, will they fill it /activate it for me?)

I am *not* mechanically inclined, and the idea of having to fill it with acid and distilled water myself and yadda yadda yadda doesn't excite me.

Heck, I'm not even certain I know how to get TO the battery, but I'm hoping the crappy photos in the workshop manual will help me out. Again, I need folks to crank their advice down a few notches for my level of experience... please?
Addicted
2006 Piaggio BV250
Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 910
Location: Columbia, MD
Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:32 am quote
enigmakairos wrote:
That's great and all; I think I've gotten that point drilled home. Get a tender and get stabilizer. Got it. However, I still lack a lot of necessary info that I need to get going:
If I hook it up to a tender, how long before I can figure out it's not charging it?
The Battery Tender Junior will give you a visual indication as the battery is charging and when it is fully charged. If your battery can be charged, it shouldn't take more than an overnight session to do it.
Addicted
04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)
Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 728
Location: Barcelona
Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:39 am quote
I say get a maintenance free battery like a YUASA MTGTX12-BS and you probably won't need a tender at all.

I went through 2 stock batteries before getting the YUASA sealed battery and it's been over a year with zero starting problems. You can get them a lot cheaper in the U.S. than in Europe, btw.

EDIT: The equivalent gel battery available in the U.S. is the YUASA YTX12-BS.

Last edited by quattrovalvole on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Moderator
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 16295
Location: Toronto, Canada, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:42 am quote
bklwashere wrote:
enigmakairos wrote:
That's great and all; I think I've gotten that point drilled home. Get a tender and get stabilizer. Got it. However, I still lack a lot of necessary info that I need to get going:
If I hook it up to a tender, how long before I can figure out it's not charging it?
The Battery Tender Junior will give you a visual indication as the battery is charging and when it is fully charged. If your battery can be charged, it shouldn't take more than an overnight session to do it.
+1

I think you said that you weren't sure how to get to the battery. If you're sitting on your GT look down between your legs between where your feet on on the floor boards. The raised area there has a black panel with four screws holding it in. If you remove those four screws you will see the battery there under the panel. You do not even need to remove the battery to charge it. You can leave the battery in place. Once you get the battery tender, hook the black lead of the battery tender to the Negative part of the battery, it should be marked with a ( - ) sign. Then connect the Red lead of the tender to the positive side of the battery, marked with a ( + ) sign. Then plug in the tender. Leave it over night. If it can charge the battery, the light on the tender will go from red to green, at least this is what occurs on the Battery Tender Jr.

I hope this helps.
Molto Verboso
Alex the Portofino Green LX 150
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 1335
Location: San Jose, CA
Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:44 am quote
Benito wrote:
bklwashere wrote:
enigmakairos wrote:
That's great and all; I think I've gotten that point drilled home. Get a tender and get stabilizer. Got it. However, I still lack a lot of necessary info that I need to get going:
If I hook it up to a tender, how long before I can figure out it's not charging it?
The Battery Tender Junior will give you a visual indication as the battery is charging and when it is fully charged. If your battery can be charged, it shouldn't take more than an overnight session to do it.
+1

I think you said that you weren't sure how to get to the battery. If you're sitting on your GT look down between your legs between where your feet on on the floor boards. The raised area there has a black panel with four screws holding it in. If you remove those four screws you will see the battery there under the panel. You do not even need to remove the battery to charge it. You can leave the battery in place. Once you get the battery tender, hook the black lead of the battery tender to the Negative part of the battery, it should be marked with a ( - ) sign. Then connect the Red lead of the tender to the positive side of the battery, marked with a ( + ) sign. Then plug in the tender. Leave it over night. If it can charge the battery, the light on the tender will go from red to green, at least this is what occurs on the Battery Tender Jr.

I hope this helps.
and if theres no light, its been connected wrong.
Addicted
04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)
Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 728
Location: Barcelona
Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:46 am quote
You can mail order the battery in the U.S. here:

http://www.batteryweb.com/motorcycles.cfm
Member
'05 GT200L Vintage Green
Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 31
Location: Rockville, MD
Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:51 am quote
Now I'm starting to understand a little! Thanks, guys.

Also, I just talked to a mech at my local Vespa service joint (unfortunately, they're very familiar with me and my scoot) and he reminded me that since I have an adapter and a scorpio alarm and other crud installed, I've pretty much got a 90% chance that my battery is toast. He's putting one on charge for me now, so I'm going to get the tender, and (most likely) end up trying to install a new battery on Thursday. Therefore expect a new post with lots of worrying and praying and whining somewhere around then.

This install thing is going to be a lot simpler than I'm imagining it to be, right?



Oh, one other thing: before I called Vespa, I called a closer bike shop. It's the largest volume bike and sport dealership for this region. (And closer by nearly an hour drive.) I ask the guy if he could look and see if he had a battery for my scoot in stock. He asks what kind of bike I have (I already told him a Vespa GT 200) but I repeated myself. He says "Uh...." I say "It's made by Piaggio." his reply: "I never heard of them."

Last edited by enigmakairos on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
Alex the Portofino Green LX 150
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 1335
Location: San Jose, CA
Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:58 am quote
enigmakairos wrote:
Now I'm starting to understand a little! Thanks, guys.

Also, I just talked to a mech at my local Vespa service joint (unfortunately, they're very familiar with me and my scoot) and he reminded me that since I have an adapter and a scorpio alarm and other crud installed, I've pretty much got a 90% chance that my battery is toast. He's putting one on charge for me now, so I'm going to get the tender, and (most likely) end up trying to install a new battery on Thursday. Therefore expect a new post with lots of worrying and praying and whining somewhere around then.

This install thing is going to be a lot simpler than I'm imagining it to be, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but its something like this:

1. Disconnect all leads to the battery (black lead/negative first).
2. Take out the battery
3. Put in new battery
4. Reconnect leads (black lead/negative last).
5. *optional* Connect on battery tender leads (tender comes with 2 connections, the pig tail leads and the clamp on. I screwed my pigtail leads on so I don't have to put them on/take them off all the time)
6. Close
7. Riiiiide
Addicted
04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)
Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 728
Location: Barcelona
Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:34 am quote
caligurl wrote:
enigmakairos wrote:
Now I'm starting to understand a little! Thanks, guys.

Also, I just talked to a mech at my local Vespa service joint (unfortunately, they're very familiar with me and my scoot) and he reminded me that since I have an adapter and a scorpio alarm and other crud installed, I've pretty much got a 90% chance that my battery is toast. He's putting one on charge for me now, so I'm going to get the tender, and (most likely) end up trying to install a new battery on Thursday. Therefore expect a new post with lots of worrying and praying and whining somewhere around then.

This install thing is going to be a lot simpler than I'm imagining it to be, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but its something like this:

1. Disconnect all leads to the battery (black lead/negative first).
2. Take out the battery
3. Put in new battery
4. Reconnect leads (black lead/negative last).
5. *optional* Connect on battery tender leads (tender comes with 2 connections, the pig tail leads and the clamp on. I screwed my pigtail leads on so I don't have to put them on/take them off all the time)
6. Close
7. Riiiiide
That's pretty much spot on, provided you replace with a stock battery. The YUASA has a slightly different position on the positive lead, IIRC and a bit of cutting/adjusting is needed. You also ditch the drain tube on the gel batteries. Other than that, it's very straightforward. Whatever you do, don't let the leads touch each other, or you'll blow the fuse!
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2562s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0371s) ][ Debug on ]