UTC

Hooked
15' Sprint 150

Hooked
@chas1969 avatar
15' Sprint 150
UTC quote
Hello,

My GT2 05' had the canister humming which has resolved, no big deal. But my rear drive shaft is leaking gear oil:( With 725 miles this is a uncommon problem b/c I searched and no listings. Rear drive oil always checked and changed at 600 miles with mobil 1 75w-90. Any others?

So the rear drive looks fairly easy by the Piaggio service manual with seal behind output shaft bearing. So any expeirences ?

Thank you,

Chas
@coley avatar
UTC

Addicted
'83 PX125E (little Red) / '09 Fuoco (unnamed)

Addicted
@coley avatar
'83 PX125E (little Red) / '09 Fuoco (unnamed)
UTC quote
Where is it leaking to on your bike? I've got some drip marks on the inside of my rear wheel, which I thought was odd as I haven't been through any puddles.
OP
@chas1969 avatar
UTC

Hooked
15' Sprint 150

Hooked
@chas1969 avatar
15' Sprint 150
UTC quote
The leak is coming from the output shaft but only with riding in warm (60-70 F) and longer rides 10 + miles do I see a weep of oil and some on the rim/tire. The level of oil is almost the same so not much at all has be lost. The reason I know it is the from the shaft is cleaning the hub/case very well and then riding it and rechecking I see gear on recleaning the hub from right below hub.

My old school vespa's 2-3 times had this happen.

Thanks

Chas
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
I have a few scooters....
UTC quote
I've got an '04 GT200 with about 1900 miles. I've never had a drop of oil come from the drive shaft seal. You should have that looked at. Is it still under warranty?
OP
@chas1969 avatar
UTC

Hooked
15' Sprint 150

Hooked
@chas1969 avatar
15' Sprint 150
UTC quote
Yes it has 10 mths left of warenty, but dealer is 250 mile trip away and back up until the 20th .... and will take 2-3 weeks est. to do the work. Parts are 20$, my labor 0$ or dealer with truck 500miles on the rode.
easy choice
Chas
OP
@chas1969 avatar
UTC

Hooked
15' Sprint 150

Hooked
@chas1969 avatar
15' Sprint 150
UTC quote
Well with new parts I tore the rear drive apart and found the problem to the leaky rear drive on my Gt2. The rear seal to output shaft was pinched or had a defect at one area of the lip and I could see 1 inch of the seal lip was almost gone letting gear oil leak past the main bearing. Most likley output shaft was not greased prior to assembly and the seal lip was pinched.
Total time was 2.5 hours to dis-reassmeble and not to bad techinicaly.

Chas
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
Good job.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0558s ][ Queries: 10 (0.0267s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]