Heated grips?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:57 pm quote
Has anyone installed heated grips? More to the point, can the electrical systems of the ET/LX/GT handle the extra load?

& if so, what does the installation involve.....?
Hooked
2005 gt200
Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:38 pm quote
heated grips
Good question..was wondering if anyone has done this, toof. BTW, I have the handlebar muffs from Metroscoot and they do really well. Went for a long ride yesterday up to Mt. Greylock with temps in the upper 40's. My hands were pretty toasty the whole trip. My friend, who was riding his vintage Beemer, had cold hands.
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:46 pm quote
Re: heated grips
ek wrote:
BTW, I have the handlebar muffs from Metroscoot and they do really well. Went for a long ride yesterday up to Mt. Greylock with temps in the upper 40's. My hands were pretty toasty the whole trip. My friend, who was riding his vintage Beemer, had cold hands.
The muffs sold on Metroscoot are really nice: wide for easy access to all the thumb buttons. On the wish list!
Enthusiast

Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:46 pm quote
Re: Heated grips?
pdxvespa wrote:
Has anyone installed heated grips? More to the point, can the electrical systems of the ET/LX/GT handle the extra load?

1) Nope
2) Do you have specs on one? I can do the math to verify. The Regulated Output at 3000 RPM is 7.5 A <----- Haynes is wrong here. I can't find it in my Workshop manual, so guessing 7.5 since it is fused at that. The Typhoon 125 puts out 8.5 A, so should be close.

Stock Battery is 9 aH

Full Load:
Side Lamps   5 W
Brake      21 W
Turn      2 X 10 W (we'll assume you won't indicate both directions, but still 2 for front and rear)
Plates      5 W
Inst/Warn   1.2 W
Headlight   35 W

87.2 Watts /12 V = 7.27

Normal Running Load:
Side Lamps   5 W
Plates      5 W
Inst/Warn   1.2 W
Headlight   35 W

46.2 Watts /12 V = 3.85
So at 7.5 Amp out put at 2000 rpm (guessing this, see above). We have 0.23 Amps to spare under close to full load, and 3.65 under "normal". Hope I didn't miss anything.

3) I would take it to the battery, inline fuse it for whatever the Grip warmer is rated at. Relay it some something that only turns on when the engine is running.

Edit: Forgot it should be 2 x 10 W for turn signals because of front and back. Seems close to being in a drain situations. Seperated Normal and full load.
Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:51 pm quote
I too opted for handlebar muffs... brilliant in the cold & wet...
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:38 am quote
Re: Heated grips?
Phr3d-- thanks! I'll see what addition info's to be found on specs.
phr3d wrote:
pdxvespa wrote:

Do you have specs on one? I can do the math to verify. full load.
Molto Verboso
Nazgul
Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:07 am quote
FYI: @ MetroScoot
FYI: On the MetroScoot site, Handlebar Muffs are located in the "Lap Apron" category rather than under "Gloves" where I expected. Thought I'd pass this on since it wasn't intuitively obvious to the casual observer...

Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:37 am quote
For instance....
would either of these work on an ET/LX 150?

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16539&cat=0&page=1

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16717&cat=0&page=1
2003 Piaggio LT150
Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:42 am quote
Re: For instance....
Or how about on a LT 150?
Addicted
gt200
Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:15 am quote
"A flexible, adhesive, wrap-around heating element with printed-circuit type elements that fit between the handlebar and grip, keeping your digits from turning into frozen turkey feet of limited utility during cold weather rides"

Hmm…the tape vers. seem like a good temp solution. But how easy would that be to fit your grips over these and how effective are they and lastly would it lower the grips life span?

BTW, there is a guy over here in NYC who did sime custom heated grips and 12v plug on his GT. It was really cool and well done. He said that the body panels were not fun to take off with out a shop manual, but had to be done to hide all the wires. The get pretty toasty. I would prob do it next year.

X
Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club
Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:53 am quote
If you don't want to mess with rewiring your bike, you could also consider electric gloves that wire into your battery. They also make electric socks and vests that do the same. Here is one review of some Gerbing electric gloves made for motorcycles.

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/gerbings/
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:57 am quote
xman wrote:
BTW, there is a guy over here in NYC who did sime custom heated grips and 12v plug on his GT. It was really cool and well done. He said that the body panels were not fun to take off with out a shop manual, but had to be done to hide all the wires. The get pretty toasty. I would prob do it next year.
Spose your guy could comment on whether either of the Aerostich products listed above would be workable on the ET/LX/GT?
Hooked
Vespa LX150
Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:29 am quote
Nukie wrote:
If you don't want to mess with rewiring your bike, you could also consider electric gloves that wire into your battery. They also make electric socks and vests that do the same. Here is one review of some Gerbing electric gloves made for motorcycles.

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/gerbings/
I'd definately keep an eye on the draw and what type of driving you are doing. My 750 Honda Nighthawk was wired to accept the heated gloves and vest when it was really cold. Direct to the battery with it's own fuse. I commuted in the city with mainly stop and go and a mix of open road. I had a tough time keeping the battery charged, I'm sure the cold didn't help, which is also when you would be using it!

I doubt the LX150 could handle a heating set up, but that is my opinion, not educated answer.

Doug
Enthusiast

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:31 am quote
I took a quick look at both products and seems to be be border line. At normal load.

High Mode setting @ 36 Watt = 3 AMPs. So we will assume cruising above idle. So what is left is just about right for charging. When peripherals kick in light turn signals, we will actually be draining the battery, which is okay, it is suppose to be the reserve.

So yeah, it can be done. I would make sure to wire it so that it only works with engine running.

I would also install an amp meter just to be sure that I'm not draining more than I'm putting out for charging.

If I were to do thist, I probably do this:

Wire So it only works with engine running
Install an Amp meter
Run Heater high only long enuf to get toasty then flip to low. (Maybe a termsistor circuit because I'd probably forget).

Well this kind of sucks. I was hoping to do my Mac Mini Top Case install on my LT-150:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~silasb/macbat/

Only 12 Watts, so I'm safe.
Addicted
gt200
Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am quote
pdxvespa wrote:
Spose your guy could comment on whether either of the Aerostich products listed above would be workable on the ET/LX/GT?
I'll try to remember to ask him. But keep in mind he has a GT, so I don't know if he'll know much about the LX/ET.

X
Addicted
gt200
Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:37 pm quote
pdxvespa wrote:
So here what he said, "Yep, those be the ones, mines are model #1891, if you order it direct from Hot Grips they'll try to sell you the epoxy, buy it you'll need it & they'll give you spacers free, if you mention it".

So no mention of the LX/ET sorry. Best bet is to call the company/retailer.

Good hunting!

X
Ossessionato
Jeep 4dr. Rubicon, Hard Rock
Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:59 am quote
GT250 electrical out put
Does anyone know the amps or watts of the electrical system at speed?
Mainly interested in hooking up a Gerbings heated vest when my 250 comes in.
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:11 am quote
Re: GT250 electrical out put
Turkman wrote:
Does anyone know the amps or watts of the electrical system at speed?
Mainly interested in hooking up a Gerbings heated vest when my 250 comes in.
Vespa doesn't publish this information. I'm using a BMW branded electric vest on my 2005 ET4. You can read about my experience with the electric vest here: http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1268s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0371s) ][ Debug on ]