@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
UTC quote
What tires were on your scoot when you bought it? Are you happy with them? What did you replace them with?

I'm not very happy with the Pirelli's that came standard with my px. I'd like to replace them with something a little more trustworty (especially in wet conditions I don't trust them). But there doesn't seem to be a absolute best.

So give me your opinion...
@shag avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS250, 2014 GTS 300 Super, 2009 Harley Crossbones, 883 Super Low Harley, 2010 LX150

Hooked
@shag avatar
2007 GTS250, 2014 GTS 300 Super, 2009 Harley Crossbones, 883 Super Low Harley, 2010 LX150
UTC quote
tires, tires, tires
I'm surprised to hear your fears about the Pirelli tires. My LX150 has the SL38 ( a little different than the PX retros). Almost everything I have read indicates that although they wear faster than many other brands, their compound is very sticky and has the best traction under all conditions. I'm always cautious in wet conditions..........take corners a little slower and move the body forward for more front wheel traction in the twisties.
OP
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
UTC quote
The tires on my px are Pirelli SC30's. They cost about half of your SL38's, so there must be a difference.
@solid_steel avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX

Addicted
@solid_steel avatar
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
UTC quote
Re: tires tires tires
Hayes wrote:
But there doesn't seem to be a absolute best....
Oh yes there is (for a PX) - The Michelin S1, fantastic in the dry & very good in the wet..

Only the Michelin Dexter was a better allrounder (in my opinion) but it is now no longer made. The Micelin SM100 is probably the nearest thing to it now..

The Bridgestone Hoop was also good (not sure if still made / the same) but a VERY tight fit on the rim..

Go for the S1 - I seriously doubt you'll be unhappy & it's soooo much better then the SC30..

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@solid_steel avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX

Addicted
@solid_steel avatar
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
UTC quote
Just remembered that the LX has a 10inch reaer, so the Michelin Pilot City (& maybe the Pilot Sport) should fit the PX..
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
My ET4 came with the Pirellis. The rear tire had worn out by 2000 miles. I replaced it with a Continental Zippy. The Zippy now has over 2000 miles on it and still looks as good as new.

To be fair, I'm a lot better at checking air pressure now than when I first bought the scooter, and that may have had something to do with the Pirelli wearing out prematurely. Regardless, I notice from many other postings on the web that the Perellis have a short life.

(The original front Pirelli tire however, has over 4,000 miles on it and is just fine.)

As to how they perform in the rain, I haven't noticed any difference for the way I ride, but I ride pretty carefully in anything less than optimum conditions.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
CONTINENTAL
for a "retro"(i hate that word) look, go with the conti zippy 3 NOT THE TAIWANESE VERSION, they still make 'em in germany or italy, for performance my tire hands down is the zippy 1, never let me down. plenty of grip, handles great.

For the love of god, don't use ET tires on your PX unless its set up for a wide tire in the back. I haven't seen SC 30s available since like 1992,
my 85 PX150 elestart came with those on it.

I'd give 'em to you if I didn't throw them in the trash as soon as I saw them.

What year is your PX?

-larry
OP
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
UTC quote
It's a 2005 px125. It came with the sc30's from the factory. I'll replace them soon with Continental zippy 1's or Michelin S1's. Those seem to be the most praised tires for decent performance.

I don't really need the retro look. Safety first.
@vespagt avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@vespagt avatar
UTC quote
i found that the original pirellis to slip quite a bit during cornering. especially loose sand or wet puddles. i've had some near spills and a few wobble moments cornering.

it seems to be more noticable as i lean into the turn aggresively. is it compound or tread design? or perhaps this...somehow, the lateral riding zone doesn't seem to work well...perhaps the elliptical curvature falls too quickly as you get to the lateral edges.

bueller? bueller? anyone?
@solid_steel avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX

Addicted
@solid_steel avatar
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
UTC quote
vespaGT wrote:
it seems to be more noticable as i lean into the turn aggresively....especially loose sand or wet puddles.
Your answers were in your post....

To be fair the OE Pirelli isn't bad, but the Pilot Sport is much better
@vespagt avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@vespagt avatar
UTC quote
thanks. i would have to say, i've ridden other bikes and scoots and have noticed, that even on slightly wet tires, there is appreciably more slippage with the pirellis on the GT leaning into a turn.

maybe its the combinations of compound/weight distribution/tire dimentions/elliptical curvature of the tread?
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
wet tires
Wet tires are not condusive to hot and sticky cornering traction!

-larry
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
UTC quote
Well, I got the Pirelli Sl26's. My vespa dealer couldn't/wouldn't order Continental tires. Would have gone for MichelinS1's but he had some SL26' sin the store and the stuff I read on the web was that they were sticky in all conditions, but wear a little faster.

So far (50 kilometers) I like them. But haven't had a chance to test them in the wet.
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
I replaced the rear Perelli at 2200mi with the OEM tire because I didn't want to mix tires. When I do the front I figure I'll need to do the rear also and plan on switching to the Zippy 1's.
@wetspeed avatar
UTC

GTed4LIFE
'05 GT200

GTed4LIFE
@wetspeed avatar
'05 GT200
UTC quote
We switched to Michelin Pilot Citys on our GTs. For us they are lasting almost twice as long on the rear and out handle the Pirelli OE tire hands down.
@vespagt avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@vespagt avatar
UTC quote
Hayes wrote:
Well, I got the Pirelli Sl26's. My vespa dealer couldn't/wouldn't order Continental tires. Would have gone for MichelinS1's but he had some SL26' sin the store and the stuff I read on the web was that they were sticky in all conditions, but wear a little faster.

So far (50 kilometers) I like them. But haven't had a chance to test them in the wet.
thanks. that's is good info. i am disappointed by the stock pirelli's and have been looking for a stickier grip/biting tires.
@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
I replaced the stock Pirellis on my GT with the Michelin Pilot Sports about six weeks ago and have been impressed by a noticable improvement in performance.

Wetspeed, what's you view on the Pilot Sports vs. the Pilot Citys?

Kevin
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0867s ][ Queries: 20 (0.0591s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]