The wind tipped over my new S
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
GTS 250 Super
Sat May 17, 2008 1:00 pm quote
It seems that the wind and rain storm yesterday tipped over my S, which is parked outside because I live in an apartment building. The bike was covered and I guess that saved the rear fender from any major scratches. The only damage was some very minor scuffing, which looks like it could easily be buffed out, and the left side front reflector broke one peg, but is still attached.

Now, to the real problem. It won't start. I don't know when it went down, but I found it at 1:30 in the afternoon. I couldn't get the air filter box completely off but I managed to get my fingers in there and squeeze out most of the fuel. It turns over but it never catches. I've searched several threads but haven't really found any situation like mine, so the only things that I can think of based on what I've read is that maybe there is fuel in the cylinder and I need to remove the spark plug or/and I need to remove the evap hose. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Addicted
1984 Honda 125 Elite, 1985 Honda 150 Elite, 2004 Honda 250 Reflex
Sat May 17, 2008 1:04 pm quote
Fouled (wet) spark plug, remove, clean, and or replace.

Starting Fluid (ether) just to get things going.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sat May 17, 2008 1:54 pm quote
No starting fliud yes pull the plug clean it and while the plugs is out turn over engine to help any remaining fuel out prior to reinstalling plug.
Enthusiast
GTS 250 Super
Sun May 18, 2008 1:38 pm quote
I let the bike sit (upright) for the last 27 hours and I was able to successfully start it this evening. It ran a little rough at first but once it warmed up it seemed to be back to normal. Everything except for the headlight seems to function properly. So, I'll have that bulb replaced on Monday or Tuesday and then I'll be back on the road. Thanks for the advice.
Ossessionato
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986? Honda CH150 Deluxe.
Sun May 18, 2008 1:41 pm quote
Whenever a Vespa tips over, fuel from the tank will soak the air filter and into evap system, making starting very difficult if not impossible. Disconnecting the evap cannister will make starting much easier, after a day or two of riding, re-connect it if you wish.
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS
Sun May 18, 2008 1:43 pm quote
If you cover your bike outside you need to find a way to secure it. The cover acts like a sail and blows it over. Mine is covered most nights but it is in a garage with no door. Thus the wind can't get at it. Someone makes a big metal loop to put your front wheel in so it does not get blown over. Good luck.
Addicted
06 GT200
Sun May 18, 2008 4:35 pm quote
Re: The wind tipped over my new S
-
cbruce76 wrote:
It seems that the wind and rain storm yesterday tipped over my S, which is parked outside because I live in an apartment building. The bike was covered and I guess that saved the rear fender from any major scratches. The only damage was some very minor scuffing, which looks like it could easily be buffed out, and the left side front reflector broke one peg, but is still attached.

Now, to the real problem. It won't start. I don't know when it went down, but I found it at 1:30 in the afternoon. I couldn't get the air filter box completely off but I managed to get my fingers in there and squeeze out most of the fuel. It turns over but it never catches. I've searched several threads but haven't really found any situation like mine, so the only things that I can think of based on what I've read is that maybe there is fuel in the cylinder and I need to remove the spark plug or/and I need to remove the evap hose. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Charles.........just a thought, i recently had trouble with my GT200 starting........and after several words of wisdom, advice, and ideas....it turned out to be the "pinion gear" not engaging of all things. My bike would turn over ALL.........DAY..........LONG but wouldn't engage. So, the 10 day waiting period at the shop ended up being a quick fix, under warranty

Just an idea

Godoggo

-
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Sun May 18, 2008 10:15 pm quote
Santiago wrote:
If you cover your bike outside you need to find a way to secure it. The cover acts like a sail and blows it over. Mine is covered most nights but it is in a garage with no door. Thus the wind can't get at it. Someone makes a big metal loop to put your front wheel in so it does not get blown over. Good luck.
+1

We use bungies to minimize the potential for the cover to billow up like a sail.

A&A
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3403s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0671s) ][ Debug on ]