American / Australian scooter mags..
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:21 am quote
What do you guys get that's any good? Is it available on line anywhere? What kind of content do they have? Just scooters, or rallies / music etc too...?

Our main two are Scootering (good) & TAG (not so good - was better when it was Twist 'n' Go)
Enthusiast
PX200
Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:36 pm quote
Scooter magazines here in Australia are crap. Actually there's only one and its quarterly. I think it up to edition 6 and its imaginatively called Scooter.

I subscribe to Scootering. Its great!
Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:52 pm quote
We also have a few mags based on the scooter scene & Mod scene (rather than being scooter mags)...
Enthusiast
GT 200
Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:14 pm quote
Scooter mag in Oz is into its 6th edition so its early days for this mag, just surviving is an achievement. Its more scooter test based with lots of adds and few real stories.Its an offshoot of 2 wheels motorbike mag thats where all the money for stories go, but hopefully it will improve over the years when the scooter world here has something to write about.
Cheers,
John
Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:34 pm quote
I get 3 from the US:

Scooter Rider Magazine
http://www.scooterridermag.com/home.html

Scoot Quarterly
http://www.scootquarterly.com/ and

Scooterworld Magazine
http://www.scooterworldmag.com/

I also get Scootering and agree TAG was better when it was Twist and Go.
Hooked
2003 ET4 150/PX 150 Serie America #232/1974 Rally 200
Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:55 pm quote
Scoot quartely as of now since i'm thinking of checking the ones from Europe,but Scoot so far so good!

Cheers!
CUCO
Ossessionato
Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:49 pm quote
I'll push Scooter World, but then again, I work for them. We don't do much on the "scene." We're more of a new products magazine.
Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:30 pm quote
Thanks all - might check a couple out...
Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:47 pm quote
Have ordered the latest Scoot 1/4ly (as it was the only 1 I could see an option to order just 1 fr, and has a feature on the LX)...

Be interesting to see another country's mag..
My Stella, her et-2
Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:53 am quote
I like Scoot Quarterly. I've been ordering some of their back issues from their website and it's interesting to follow the arrival of Vespa back on the US scene through those old issues. You can also see how the magazine has grown from issue to issue and the quality improves.
ET4 187cc
Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:03 am quote
Re: American / Australian scooter mags..
Solid Steel wrote:
What do you guys get that's any good? Is it available on line anywhere? What kind of content do they have? Just scooters, or rallies / music etc too...?

Our main two are Scootering (good) & TAG (not so good - was better when it was Twist 'n' Go)
In New Zealand, we seem to be limited to the UK mags only (Scootering & TAG). No sign of any US stuff, and "Scooterworld" looks interesting for the hardware side of things.

Not so interested in "the scene" as not really applicable down here.

Over the years, I must admit to having spent more time on the Web than reading mags, 'cos the info is much more up to date. Sites like this and "e-zines" seem to be the best sources.
Enthusiast
Thunderturd, P200s, GS 150, Allstate 788-101, Vespa S
Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:01 am quote
There's also the member magazine of the Vespa Club of America, American Scooterist. Its focus is more hardcore geeky Vespa stuff: technical, historical, and travel.

http://www.vespaclubusa.org/americanscooterist.htm

Dave
Ossessionato
Several - see sig
Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:44 am quote
Welcome, Dave!

I've been curious about American Scooterist, since I've never seen an issue. Is the content, on average, mostly vintage, mixed vintage/modern, general interest stories, or what? Can't really get a feel for it from the current contents page.

Thanks,
Steve
Enthusiast
Thunderturd, P200s, GS 150, Allstate 788-101, Vespa S
Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:07 pm quote
Quote:
I've been curious about American Scooterist, since I've never seen an issue. Is the content, on average, mostly vintage, mixed vintage/modern, general interest stories, or what? Can't really get a feel for it from the current contents page.
The magazine is hardcore Vespa. We're open to a lot but our focus is the Vespa. We've run stuff in the past about new scooters. We had a good article on the GT early on before it arrived in the U.S. But, frankly, the content is driven by the membership and what they are pasionate about. We really need people to write good substantative stuff related to new Vespas. Tech articles would be killer. One of the amazing things about the GT and the the new GTS is that it is a scooter that potentialially could revive serious scootouring.

If you read many of the scooter magazines from the 50s and 60s. Much of the content related to adventure and travel scootering. Back then they called it scootouring. The GT model is a Piaggio Vespa that can safely share the highway with modern vehicles. So this model has the potential of opening a whole new genre of Vespa enthusiasm.

Right now we are working on a special double issue devoted to the 50th anniversary of the GS. We have some fantastic articles. The VCOA is putting a special spin on this topic by, in addition discussing technical and model analysis, providing stories and history of the GS in the USA.

We would really like Piaggio USA to buy an ad that would feature the new GTS 250. Many of the other ads in this issue will keep with the GS theme by featuring GSes. In many ways the GTS continues one of the great contributions that Piaggio historically has made to scootering. Piaggio has always been on the forefront of the development of "sports" scooters. The GS 150 VS1 was a profoundly revolutionary scooter for its time. Compare it to what else was out there at the time. Lambretta's next best scooter was the open-framed D model! With a top speed of about 60 mph, the GS 150 in 1955 was faster than many contemporary motorcycles. The GTS 250 was developed to follow this lineage.

To anwser you question, right now most of the content in the magazine has to do with classic Vespas. But it is important to emphasize that the officers are scooterists first and then Vespa enthusiasts second. Speaking for myself I believe in building community among the scooter scene. I don't like drawing phoney exclusionary lines between scooter models. For this reason, I was really attracted to Jess' mission statement for Modern Vespa. We have our focus around the Vespa, but the club is open to anyone and any brand or type of scooter owner.

Any typical Eurovespa these days will be a mix of new and traditional Vespas. I don't see why the VCOA should be any different. The door is open to modern Vespa enthusiasts. Right now the magazine is driven by the content that we receive. Most of this is generated by members who own older Vespas. My wife, Becky and I were the club secretaries for three years. During that time, my guess was that about half of the new members were modern Vespa owners. So, I encourage you and all new Vespa owners to step up and participate with the club.

In the past few years the club magazine has been really amazing, particularly since Bryan Bedell took over the layout at the end of 2004. But it is a club member magazine. We do not sell it in shops. We don't want to compete with our friends who do for profit magazines like Scoot and Scooter World. So consider joining and get the magazine or buy a few from the club store. The latest A.S. issue is #47.

Sorry for the long winded answer,
Dave
Ossessionato
Several - see sig
Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:02 pm quote
Thank you very much for the information, Dave. It was exactly what I wanted to hear.

I have a 1958 MGA Roadster (see link in sig) and have watched the traditionally retired man's hobby of fiddling with old cars turn into a family oriented hobby of weekend trips, club picnics, cross-country tours, etc. What used to be monthly meetings in smokey bars and hurry up with the meeting, it's time to drink attitude turn into fun evenings involving spouses and/or kids. (One divorced Dad and his son restored their car and took it to 37 events this year.) There are clubs that do nothing but tours, and others that use the common link of vintage British cars as excuses to go eating. Still others that are hard core vintage racing, etc.

It sounds like the scooter world is on the edge of a similar expansion. There are clubs and events for everyone somewhere, with hopefully one just around the corner.

Thanks for the info. I'll be signing up for VCOA soon.
Steve
Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:53 am quote
www.scootquarterly.com

I've just received my 1st copy of this (Winter 05 #34)..

Well worth a read... along the lines of Scootering, but with an American accent & with more autos.. also has traditional / vintage scoots, rally reports, product tests & a music section..

Really interesting & a nice change from the usual mags. Good to get a picture of the US scene too.. They like their Stellas & Bajas...

Will be deffo be a regular read from now on...
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.5970s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0928s) ][ Debug on ]