OP
UTC

Enthusiast
1978 Vespa P-200

Enthusiast
1978 Vespa P-200
UTC quote
I need advice from new Vespa owners.
I am waiting for the GTS-250 to become available, but I am beginning to worry about service issues. Do these scooteres require alot of service? I would like to know before I purchase because my closest dealer is about 250 miles away. I do alot of work on my own right now on my current Vespa P-200 so I am confident I can do regular maintenance myself, but I need help when it comes to valve adjustments and complicated things like that. Are there any issues with these scooteres or can I expect to be able to ride it pretty much trouble free?
My second choice would be the Yamaha Morphous followed by a Honda Reflex or Big Ruckus.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Service is not a big concern. Most riders take it to Vespa for the 1st service, due at 600 mi. After that, it's just oil/filter changes every 3000 miles or once per year. Vespa dealers often charge quite a bit for this, so many of us do these services ourselves. I personally do the oil and also clean/re-oil the air filter element at the one year mark. It's all pretty easy and shouldn't be a factor in the purchase decision, IMO.

The Big Ruckus is certainly interesting. But for the money (they are similarly priced) I'll take the more technologically advanced Vespa GTS in a heartbeat. It's a lot more machine for the money I think. As for the Morphous and Reflex, those are very nice scoots but they compete more directly with the Piggio BVs and the big Kymcos, or the Aprilia Atlantic. I think most Vespa riders prefer retro and don't cross shop those to the Vespa. But they are all good choices if you like the style.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
The norm is you'll be riding trouble-free by just following the prescribed regular maintenance schedule. You can expect the same quality from the GTS250, as is currently enjoyed by its predecessors.
@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club

Addicted
@nukie avatar
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club
UTC quote
The Vespa brand has been very reliable. In our club of 138 members, none of the Piaggio/Vespa bikes are hardly ever in the shop. It always seems to be the other brands having problems. The two Vespas I have owned have run great for 2 years now. I expect the GTS 250 to be another reliable service free scooter.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0456s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0191s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]