Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Thu May 25, 2006
Singer Desmond Dekker dead at 64

Desmond Dekker - the man who rose to fame on Jamaica's airwaves with popular songs such as "The Israelites", "Intensified" and 007 - is dead.
The man who was christened Desmond Adolphus Dacres was born in July 16, 1941 died Thursday morning.

With his backing group, The Aces, Desmond Decker had the first international hit with The Israelites".

There are very few artistes left today who truly represented the best moments of the first decade of popular Jamaican music.

As a young man Desmond worked in a Jamaican welding shop. And his singing while working there served notice that he had quite a voice.

He had one thing in common with other Jamaican artistes such as Jimmy Cliff and Derrick Morgan, Desmond Dekker was produced by Leslie Kong of Beverly records.

He formed his group the Aces, which at times included Wilson James and various siblings from the Howard family, including Barry, Carl, Clive, and Patrick.

After changing his professional name to Dekker, in 1967 he and the group recorded 007 (Shanty Town), which made it to ..14 on the UK chart.

In 1963 his first break came with the single "Honour your father.

In 1968 the group won the festival song competition with the single - Intensified. His second album was also titled Intensified.

Another hit followed with the Israelites, this reached number one on the English pop charts in 1969.

The death of his guide and mentor Leslie Kong in 1971 was a tragic blow.

Desmond eventually migrated to England where he later modified his music for the English market.

His many hits and concerts made him a star among the English youths, who were then discovering the rhythmic patterns of reggae and who would ultimately imitate his Jamaican "rude boy" style.

Desmond became one of the leading lights of the music scene in Jamaica until the end of the 1960s and was particularly inspired and productive between 1966 and 1970.

He continued to perform and record into the 90's. With his death - he has gone down in history as one of those who paved the way around the world with the infectious beat - serving notice that reggae music had arrived.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
Re: Lost a Ska/Reggae legend today =(
NapaCoach wrote:

Thu May 25, 2006
Singer Desmond Dekker dead at 64

Desmond Dekker - the man who rose to fame on Jamaica's airwaves with popular songs such as "The Israelites", "Intensified" and 007 - is dead.
The man who was christened Desmond Adolphus Dacres was born in July 16, 1941 died Thursday morning.

With his backing group, The Aces, Desmond Decker had the first international hit with The Israelites".

There are very few artistes left today who truly represented the best moments of the first decade of popular Jamaican music.

As a young man Desmond worked in a Jamaican welding shop. And his singing while working there served notice that he had quite a voice.

He had one thing in common with other Jamaican artistes such as Jimmy Cliff and Derrick Morgan, Desmond Dekker was produced by Leslie Kong of Beverly records.

He formed his group the Aces, which at times included Wilson James and various siblings from the Howard family, including Barry, Carl, Clive, and Patrick.

After changing his professional name to Dekker, in 1967 he and the group recorded 007 (Shanty Town), which made it to ..14 on the UK chart.

In 1963 his first break came with the single "Honour your father.

In 1968 the group won the festival song competition with the single - Intensified. His second album was also titled Intensified.

Another hit followed with the Israelites, this reached number one on the English pop charts in 1969.

The death of his guide and mentor Leslie Kong in 1971 was a tragic blow.

Desmond eventually migrated to England where he later modified his music for the English market.

His many hits and concerts made him a star among the English youths, who were then discovering the rhythmic patterns of reggae and who would ultimately imitate his Jamaican "rude boy" style.

Desmond became one of the leading lights of the music scene in Jamaica until the end of the 1960s and was particularly inspired and productive between 1966 and 1970.

He continued to perform and record into the 90's. With his death - he has gone down in history as one of those who paved the way around the world with the infectious beat - serving notice that reggae music had arrived.
Wow! Nice tribute and bio, well done. You must've been quite a fan? I'm gonna go hunt him down on iTunes now! Always sad to lose a legend.
@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
Wow. That's so sad. I'm a part-time ska & reggae musician myself and have played many of his songs over the years.

He was a pioneer and truly a legend. He'll be missed by reggae fans worldwide.

Kevin
OP
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
Ska & Scooters simply go great together

Last april Dekker played in San Francisco we had a nice row of scooters out front & bunch of scooterists at the show ...Very cool to see the "King of Ska" himself work the crowd in his 60's
@paul_blknblu avatar
UTC

Addicted
'2017 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@paul_blknblu avatar
'2017 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
Crying or Very sad emoticon That's sad news... he was certainly a legend in his time. I'm a big fan of the man and still play his music in my DJ sets and no doubt will continue to do so.
RIP Desmond.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
NapaCoach wrote:
Ska & Scooters simply go great together
Last april Dekker played in San Francisco we had a nice row of scooters out front & bunch of scooterists at the show ...Very cool to see the "King of Ska" himself work the crowd in his 60's
Yes, they do. How lucky you were to get to see Desmond Dekker live-- May the two-tone spirit live on!

--Deborah
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC

Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)

Size of a Chaffinch
@wonder_machine avatar
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)
UTC quote
Weep Crying or Very sad emoticon

My Dekker favourite is "007".
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
I am sorry to hear this also, Beale.
@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
Wonder Machine wrote:
Weep Crying or Very sad emoticon

My Dekker favourite is "007".
Dem a loot, dem a shoot, dem a wail...

King of Ska was my fave.
@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
A video of Desmond Dekker singing "Iraelites":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u_613xl11w

Kevin
@solid_steel avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX

Addicted
@solid_steel avatar
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
UTC quote
Was lucky enough to see him perform a few years ago....
@cipote avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Current: 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200, 2005 GT 200

Molto Verboso
@cipote avatar
Current: 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200, 2005 GT 200
UTC quote
The guitar intro to 007 is one of the most invigorating ever!

His early stuff is great, the album with (Neville Staples') Specials is great as well. All in all only the "Black and Dekker" on Stiff records ever disappointed me.

So with his death that means we've lost 2 Ska originators this year, the other being Laurel Aitken, makes concerned about Prince Buster's outlook. Now there's one originator that needs a major box set retrospective.

Finally, one more random thought how would you translate "Carry Go Bring Come" into US street language?
@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
cipote wrote:
Finally, one more random thought how would you translate "Carry Go Bring Come" into US street language?
Carry Go Bring Come is a cautionary tale about a gossip.
Quote:
"You're going from town to town making disturbances. It's time you stopped doing those things, you old Jezebel".
Now we're way off-topic, eh?

Kevin
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
I'm not familiar with Desmond Dekker's work, but I can relate to how you feel of his passing. Music is big part of life. Rest in peace, Desmond.
OP
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
Kevin
Nice find on that video
it made me very happy Laughing emoticon
@budlightyear avatar
UTC

BMW 1150 GS. honda Trail 110, vespa lx 150

@budlightyear avatar
BMW 1150 GS. honda Trail 110, vespa lx 150
UTC quote
Agreed,

Nice Video...ahh the memories....

I remember dancing to that at the Teen Club at Subic Bay Naval Station in the Phillipines when I was in High School over there in '69....great song, and got played a lot on the old juke box.

Sorry to hear of his passing...

Bud
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
UTC quote
Wow! Why didn't I hear this on tv? He's one of the legends of reggae. Sad about this Crying or Very sad emoticon
@scoots avatar
UTC

Moderatore Dedicato
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180

Moderatore Dedicato
@scoots avatar
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180
UTC quote
I saw DD perform at a scooter rally in Great Yarmouth in the mid 80's..
This was about the time we were getting infiltrated by nazi skinheads,and at a prearranged time,(when he started to sing "israelites"),they stormed the stage... In the brief time before the security grabbed them,Desmond laid out two of the skins....Good man!!

PS..no way derogatery to skins,here..just the idiot nazi ones...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1008s ][ Queries: 21 (0.0666s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]