Catching up with Quezzie!
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:00 am quote
Here for your viewing pleasure, an interview with the intrepid Stephanie Yue, AKA Ms. Quezzie.

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:14 am quote
Great video!
Indeed, Stephanie is a delight to know.
Hooked
Bv350, aprillia scarabeo light. 500.
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:41 am quote
Wish there was a way that all of us could download these.
Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:35 am quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Not sure what you mean. Itís a YouTube video. Iím pretty sure I posted it as recommended by MV. It shows up fine here on my computer, phone and tablet.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 250ie, Scarabeo 500ie, SportCity 250, BV 500, Buddy 125
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:40 am quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
There are several apps that and browser extensions that will let you download YouTube videos if you really want to download and sore then. Justfind one for your service and or browser.
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, ???
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:51 am quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Everyone can. It's as simple as opening this site with a different browser!

Chrome won't let you view videos on this site. Most all others will...

Firefox
Bing
Internet Explorer
Etc.
Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:11 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
zigzagguzzi wrote:

Firefox
Bing
Internet Explorer
Etc.
+1 I'm using Firefox.
Ossessionato
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:17 am quote
DoorBuster wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
zigzagguzzi wrote:

Firefox
Bing
Internet Explorer
Etc.
+1 I'm using Firefox.
Safari works too (Mac, iPhone, iPad).
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:07 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:

Firefox
Bing
Internet Explorer
Etc.
And Edge, the standard MS browser if you are using Windows 10.
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 'Ruby Roo'
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:17 am quote
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKT6SmGX8nc)
Or just post the address in brackets so everyone can access the clip.....
Hooked
Vespa Primavera 150

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:40 pm quote
Re: Catching up with Quezzie!
David Masse wrote:
Here for your viewing pleasure, an interview with the intrepid Stephanie Yue, AKA Ms. Quezzie.

Thanks for posting this. Just a tip to maybe leave more space for her to answer questions. I have read her travel blog and she is a true adventurer. It would have been nice to hear more from her. Perhaps you'll have another chance to interview her.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:02 pm quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
IIRC, Real Player should have a download function.....try googling it.

(I'm assuming you meant actually downloading, not merely viewing...)
Ossessionato
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:56 pm quote
lmctdot wrote:
David Masse wrote:
Thanks for posting this. Just a tip to maybe leave more space for her to answer questions. I have read her travel blog and she is a true adventurer. It would have been nice to hear more from her. Perhaps you'll have another chance to interview her.
Good observation. We were running out of time and daylight.

Steph has shared that she would like to find a way to explore some topics in greater detail.

So thereís a decent chance youíll get your wish.
Molto Verboso
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:33 pm quote
The ever-irrepressible Stephanie...thanks so much for making and sharing this video!
Hooked
2009 Vespa GTS 250, 2005 Vespa PX 200
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:17 pm quote
Heya, thanks for the interview and the share, David! It was great catching up with you again.

I did have more thoughts on the topic, those two questions really got to the heart of things. They're good, think-y questions.

If I seemed a little flustered, it's partly because I'm not used to being on camera. But it's also because it's still a little surprising to hear others refer to me as an adventurer. Adventure can mean so many things to different people. I see riders embarking on RTW trips or taking their bikes off-road to remote places, and it's easy to see them as adventurers when I mostly stick to pavement on my Cadillac of a scooter. But you don't have to go far for an adventure, going to the grocery store can be an adventure. Embarking on a new job or relationship is an adventure. I suppose in the interview, I was trying to get around to saying that adventure is a matter of perspective, a little uncertainty, and being outside your comfort zone. Anyone can assume the role of adventurer, and it'll look different for each person. David says he's not a traveler, but certainly the trip to Kingston was an adventure too.

Maybe I just don't feel like an adventurer because the term Adventure is so commonly used to sell things now.

With home, that's a question I ask myself often. Maybe the best way I've come to think of it is this: while homes are often location based, I think I've found myself at home with people, and in actions. I'm at home when I'm on the mats of the gym, or when I'm riding my bike. I'm at home when I'm with people I love, or people who get me and I get them too. I'm at home in cities I've found an affinity for, whatever vibe that place and those people put into the world. Perhaps I'm at home whenever or wherever I'm most myself. That's what I mean by an expanded definition of Home.

If the question is about practicality though, that's more straightforward. Like I mentioned, I've long been a follower of minimalism as a practice to help distill which things are important. I shed most of my possessions, made a habit of conscientious consumerism, and simply live with less stuff than the average American (it's good for my limited wallet, too). You don't actually need much in terms of belongings, and often possessions just weigh you down. I have a few boxes here and there around the country for comfort, but most of my stuff from storage was given away, and about a carful remains at my boyfriend's place in Boston. If I don't use it and it has little sentimental value, I lose it. I borrow trusted friend's addresses if I need something for paperwork (authorities really like to know where you're 'from' ), or a place to ship supplies.

When I set off from Providence to DC in 2012 as a solo long distance riding noob, I packed about 4 sets of clothes and wondered if I had enough. It was plenty, I realized I could do laundry and keep going, and it was tempting to do just that. To this day, when I pack, I throw about 4 sets of quick dry clothes in a backpack which goes into the pet carrier. Tools, some spare riding gear, camping stuff (if that's on the agenda), some electronics...there isn't that much more STUFF you need to take your bike someplace. Beyond that, the things you need are going to be intangible: a sense of adventure, a positive attitude... stuff that can only come from you.

Anyway, that got a bit lofty. They were good questions and I enjoyed the interview!
Enthusiast
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:59 am quote
Adventure
Hi Quezzie, Thanks so much for checking in. We have read all your posts and enjoyed "traveling with you" to so many exciting places. You had the nerve and courage to step out of your comfort zone and this inspires all of us to do the same. I plan to do more adventuring soon. I just hope I can tell about it and make it enjoyable for others to read like you have.
Thanks Again
Tony in Tn
Red GTS 250
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:30 am quote
Quezzie wrote:

With home, that's a question I ask myself often. Maybe the best way I've come to think of it is this: while homes are often location based, I think I've found myself at home with people, and in actions. I'm at home when I'm on the mats of the gym, or when I'm riding my bike. I'm at home when I'm with people I love, or people who get me and I get them too. I'm at home in cities I've found an affinity for, whatever vibe that place and those people put into the world. Perhaps I'm at home whenever or wherever I'm most myself. That's what I mean by an expanded definition of Home.

It was a great interview. And thanks for expanding on a few of the ideas. I suppose what fascinates me most about your life on the road is related to home. I often wonder if it gets lonely being on the road so much. Perhaps because I don't make friends easily I imagine myself in your situation riding and riding and never saying a word to anyone.

Your life on the road provides me a vicarious opportunity to imagine something I will likely never come close to doing. For that I am grateful. Thanks for putting up with David's camera!
Hooked
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:14 am quote
VESPAsfw3: It does get lonely for me, but not quite for that reason.

When I'm traveling solo, it's much easier to interact with people. A single person is easier to approach than a group, and is also a great excuse to ask for help. Even as someone who is usually shy (me), I meet and talk to so many people as a solo traveler. It's a huge part of the joy of travel for me, and having an oddball ride helps break the ice. Sometimes at the end of a day, I'm exhausted from meeting people, and the loneliness of an open road in the desert or mountains is a respite.

Going from place to place isn't the source of loneliness for me. It's gaining all these beautiful, absurd, enriching, life-changing experiences, and not having another person to share them with. It's having a lifestyle that is so difficult and out of the box, that others may begin to find you alien. And what is the point, if you become so detached you can't relate?

There are a handful of other travelers who overland extensively, but by nature of our wandering predilections it seems we're always like ships passing in the night.

That's part of what drives me to share whatever I can on the blog, or on forums. :)
Ossessionato
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:44 pm quote
Steph, you are in a privileged position of your own making, born of curiosity, courage, and a big heart.

You have a larger home than most.

It spans the USA, extends into Canada, and has roots in Asia.

You have the ability to expand or contract your home at will.

I am sure that if you chose a place to remain, even if you remained there for a considerable time, you would retain a strong sense of the expanded home you have built these last four years and more.

That is an amazing accomplishment many of us can only imagine.

Thank you for your generosity and friendship.
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:15 pm quote
Quezzie wrote:

When I'm traveling solo, it's much easier to interact with people. A single person is easier to approach than a group, and is also a great excuse to ask for help. Even as someone who is usually shy (me), I meet and talk to so many people as a solo traveler. It's a huge part of the joy of travel for me, and having an oddball ride helps break the ice. Sometimes at the end of a day, I'm exhausted from meeting people, and the loneliness of an open road in the desert or mountains is a respite.

Going from place to place isn't the source of loneliness for me. It's gaining all these beautiful, absurd, enriching, life-changing experiences, and not having another person to share them with. It's having a lifestyle that is so difficult and out of the box, that others may begin to find you alien. And what is the point, if you become so detached you can't relate?

There are a handful of other travelers who overland extensively, but by nature of our wandering predilections it seems we're always like ships passing in the night.

That's part of what drives me to share whatever I can on the blog, or on forums.
I think I understand a bit better now as you describe how things unfold on the road. And I suspect, as I think about it now, I probably was thinking about the isolation from not being able to share with others your experiences in a face-to-face manner. I certainly understand how blogs and forums can provide connections and opportunities to share.

Best wishes for safe and satisfying travels!
Ossessionato
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:12 am quote
Quezzie wrote:

That's part of what drives me to share whatever I can on the blog, or on forums.
It's great to hear from you Quezzie. Wish you'd visit and post more often, even without a terrific ride report.
Hooked
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:15 am quote
Jet Peddler: Thanks for the prod. I usually lurk around the technical posts. Maybe I'll make some gear posts once I've finished them. I've been dialing in a GTS specific tool roll. :)
Ossessionato
GTS250
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:11 am quote
Quezzie wrote:
Jet Peddler: Thanks for the prod. I usually lurk around the technical posts. Maybe I'll make some gear posts once I've finished them. I've been dialing in a GTS specific tool roll.
Please do!
Ossessionato
Kymco Like 200i (Sold)
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:53 am quote
ashbrook wrote:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKT6SmGX8nc)
Or just post the address in brackets so everyone can access the clip.....

Thank you ashbrook. My work computer never lets me see youtube postings on MV. Your workaround is great! Again Thanks!
Ossessionato
Vespa 2017 GTV 300 , BMW 2017 C650GT
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:02 am quote
A big thank you to David and Quezzie .

Quezzie you have had an amazing journey and my favourite posts on MV. You have done something many of us, myself included can only dream of. Not to mention you are a great story teller which only adds to the journey and pictures.

You also have the privilege of being the owner of the longest posts to load on MV
Hooked
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:15 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
You also have the privilege of being the owner of the longest posts to load on MV
Ossessionato
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:39 pm quote
Syd wrote:
Quezzie wrote:
Jet Peddler: Thanks for the prod. I usually lurk around the technical posts. Maybe I'll make some gear posts once I've finished them. I've been dialing in a GTS specific tool roll.
Please do!
+1
Molto Verboso
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:19 pm quote
Quezzie wrote:
and often possessions just weigh you down.
One doesn't own stuff. The stuff owns you. Anyone who has moved house will know this.
Hooked
P125X, P200E
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:40 am quote
I too thoroughly enjoyed your interview and I am looking forward to your posting reports on your next journey.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.6792s ][ Queries: 24 (0.1120s) ][ Debug on ]