Big Overhaul: Article Slugs
Post Reply    Forum -> Modern Vespa Wiki
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:41 pm quote
I've just gone live (well, to you all, anyway) with a pretty big overhaul to the nebulous depths of this wiki experiment.

Every article now has a "slug" associated with it. A slug is a simplified web-friendly version of the title of the article. You often see these used in the web address of individual stories on blogs. They're usually generated automatically, and usually editable if they're not to a web admin's liking.

So if an article's title was:
That's some scary #$%^ right there!

Then the slug would be:
thats-some-scary-right-there

The idea is that it takes out the characters that cause linking trouble, much like what Al was running into earlier today.

In our implementation, every slug will be prefixed with "wiki-". So using the above example, an article slug would become:
wiki-thats-some-scary-right-there

Prior to this change, we've been referring to articles like this:
[article23456]
The above, embedded in a post or another article, would result in the article title showing up instead. This was really neat, until we started having articles with 20 of these links embedded. At that point, it started becoming difficult to edit the article because it was unclear what each link did.

We can now refer to articles like this:
[wiki-frequently-asked-questions]
What's more, we can override the automatic-title-lookup for those occasions when we want to link to an article but don't want to use the full article name. Like so:
[url=wiki-thats-some-scary-right-there]Scary Stuff[/url]
Right now, none of the existing articles have slugs I've modified a bunch of articles -- see below. As soon as one of you mods edits an article (and saves it) a slug will be automatically generated. I think the automatic slug name will be fine for all the articles we've got. There may be cases where we want to manually change the slug, but we'll deal with those as they come up.

Caution: once a slug is in place, and we start linking using that slug, we have to be very careful not to change the slug, or all the links will break. A slug, once in place, should be considered relatively fixed, barring extreme circumstances.

Most of the wiki code so far (listings of articles, for instance) will use the wiki slug if present, and fall back to using articleXXXXX otherwise. We can still refer to a slug-ified article in the older style if we need to, but I don't think we will. For reference, the article ID is the same as the topic ID of the discussion for that article. So if a topic was topic45890, the corresponding article would be article45890.

Clear? This is a lot to digest, so don't hesitate to ask for clarification on anything I've left murky. Also, there's a good chance I've broken something while making all these changes, so be on the lookout for odd behavior or anything you think is clunky.

Last edited by jess on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:26 pm quote
Slick. Is "slug" your term, or one that's out there in code-land more generally.

C'mon, WikiMods, give us some articles so we can see the slugs at work!

--Deborah
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:30 pm quote
pdxvespa wrote:
Slick. Is "slug" your term, or one that's out there in code-land more generally.
I didn't invent the term. I think it's more common in blog software than anywhere else. There's probably a different term for the same thing in the wiki software world.
pdxvespa wrote:
C'mon, WikiMods, give us some articles so we can see the slugs at work!
I've already edited (and re-linked) a few articles. Found a couple of bugs, too, which I fixed on the fly. Seems to be working okay so far.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:38 pm quote
Addendum: I'm going through the frequently asked question articles and manually giving each one a short, easy-to-remember slug. These are articles that we want people to be able to link to easily, and have members point newbies toward. Having simple slugs here will be a godsend.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:05 pm quote
Okay, I've finished adding slugs to all the FAQ articles. There are still a lot of un-slugged articles still, but at least the FAQs are done.
Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:39 am quote
aaagggh. this is doing my head in. i still haven't properly figured out how the wiki works and who can see what. are these wiki discussions visible to all members?
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:40 am quote
genie wrote:
aaagggh. this is doing my head in. i still haven't properly figured out how the wiki works and who can see what. are these wiki discussions visible to all members?
They aren't yet visible to the masses. At least they weren't when I last logged in under my alias.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:58 am quote
They're not visible. Let me know if I can help you come up to speed. I swear it's not as hard as it seems.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:59 am quote
Easiest thing to do is to take a look at a well-formed article, like this one: Vespa GTS 250. Hit the edit button and look at how everything is formatted. You'll get the hang of it.
Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:02 pm quote
i'll get it eventually. my brain hurts right now - i've been assessing student work for what seems like light-years and most of my brain cells have fled in terror.

also got a fairly large bump on the back of my head from playing capoeira in an asphalt parking lot today. no, i didn't get kicked over, i was doing a move that involves falling backwards out of a handstand and my charming opponent kicked one of my hands out from under me
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:04 pm quote
Oh nasty, I hope you got him/her back.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:10 pm quote
genie wrote:
i'll get it eventually. my brain hurts right now - i've been assessing student work for what seems like light-years and most of my brain cells have fled in terror.
Ah. Say no more. Put down this wiki stuff and go have a glass of wine.
genie wrote:
also got a fairly large bump on the back of my head from playing capoeira in an asphalt parking lot today. no, i didn't get kicked over, i was doing a move that involves falling backwards out of a handstand and my charming opponent kicked one of my hands out from under me
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:32 pm quote
genie wrote:
My most profound condolences.
genie wrote:
That's nasty. Revenge is on the menu.

Have a couple of caipirinhas, one on each count~!
Destroyer of Worlds
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200
Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:22 pm quote
I just noticed that the slugs are in the URL as well, so the wiki main page is http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/wiki, for example.

Mighty fine!
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:32 pm quote
ianfromnyc wrote:
I just noticed that the slugs are in the URL as well, so the wiki main page is http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/wiki, for example.

Mighty fine!
Forgot to mention that.

That was the other overriding motivation -- I really wanted to have concise urls.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:33 pm quote
Oh, and http://www.moernvespa.com/forum/wiki and http://www.moernvespa.com/forum/wiki-main are the same thing, but that's a special case. The real name of the main page is wiki-main, but the webserver will accept "wiki" as a shorthand for the main page.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Modern Vespa Wiki
[ Time: 0.2315s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0324s) ][ Debug on ]