Too much junk in the trunk – Fixing the LX seat latch
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
Ossessionato
LX 150
Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:05 am quote
It seems to happen a lot – you go to open your underseat storage (ie pet carrier) and the key just turns with nothing happening.

If you‘re reading this and that has just happened, don’t feel bad it’s happen to us all, just post a help my seat won’t open and someone will send you a pm on how get it open.

After that you’re ready for this.

It’s really pretty easy, though it does seem to be a piece that Vespa didn’t think would break and no you don’t need a new seat.

(silly rabbits, underestimating the ability of the average person to break shit)

You’ll see all the things you need in picture one.

Screwdriver

Needle nose pliers

12# picture wire (not 21# as in the picture too big)

Small gauge wire

Fishing weights

You can go that this from the top or bottom. But I found it easer to put the fishing weight on first and then run the wire up.

If you look at picture #2 you’ll see two points marked A and B. The wire runs thru a tube between those two. Remove the screw from B (the key hole) and remove the inner L shape piece that holds the end – the old wire will follow.

Cut a piece of the 12# picture wire cramp the fishing weigh and rethread it though until it comes the top of A.

Replace the L shape piece and remember that the screw doesn’t go all the way down.

Next if you look at point A you’ll see what looks like a washer, it’s a circlip take the needle nose pliers and remove it. Now put this someplace safe (picture number 5).

Remove the end of your old line and pull the wire tight and then loop over the pin sticking out. Next being careful not to undo your loop pull to the side and wrap with the small gauge wire around the 12# picture wire to make a secure end (clamp).*

Note if you look carefully you’ll see that there is a very small area of travel from the end of the “clamp” of the wire on the pin to the opening of the hole for the wire. So you don’t want to make your wrap to long or use to large of a metal clamp.

(But if you can find a metal clamp that will work let me know. I looked and could not.)

Now test the lock to make sure that everything is working a couple of times before closing and you’re done.

*I like to leave a good bit hanging on one side then wrap it around the left side of the loop of the 12# wire then the right side of the 12# wire and then holding the hang over close to the 12# wire wrapping it down about a quarter of an inch. Then take the needle nose pliers wrap the two pieces of the fine gauge together and cut as close as possible,

lxseat01.jpg
Tools needed

lxseat02.jpg
points A and B

lxseat03.jpg
fishing weight

lxseat04.jpg
screw

lxseat05.jpg
circlip

lxseat06.jpg
loop

lxseat07.jpg
wire tie

lxseat08.jpg
A very small area of travel from the end of the “clamp” of the wire on the pin to the opening of the hole for the wire.

Last edited by messycoloring on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986? Honda CH150 Deluxe.
Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:40 am quote
Thats a great fix
Banned
2:6
Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:03 pm quote
great write up. glad there's a fix other than a new seat.
Enthusiast
Vespa LX125cc
Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:27 pm quote
Man that is fantastic! Thanks for taking the trouble to share this with the community!
Ossessionato
LX 150
Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:15 am quote
thanks,

This is the second time I've had to fix it.

As they say practice makes perfect.
Aurora Blue LX50
Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:06 am quote
Awesome!
I need to get those supplies before this thread disappears!

THANKS!!!

It's cause I stuff my groceries in there!!!

Last edited by amsterdamfats on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
LX150
Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:41 pm quote
YO MODERATORS--PLEASE MOVE THIS TO PROJECTS--IT'S A KEEPER!
Haven't had the problem--YET! But I can see it happen--I have a lot of squishy stuff in there most of the time.

Cary
Enthusiast
Vespa LX125cc
Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:43 pm quote
I was able to follow these instructions and fix my seat yesterday!

I had slightly more basic equipment though! An old headphone cable (instead of picture wire) + a bolt (instead of fishing weight)! Worked a treat!

The garage I took it to said I had to get a new seat at £110! Cha-ching!!

I'll put a few pics up when I get the chance!
Ossessionato
LX 150
Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:39 am quote
alexp wrote:
I was able to follow these instructions and fix my seat yesterday!

I had slightly more basic equipment though! An old headphone cable (instead of picture wire) + a bolt (instead of fishing weight)! Worked a treat!

The garage I took it to said I had to get a new seat at £110! Cha-ching!!

I'll put a few pics up when I get the chance!
glad to hear it.
Hooked
LX 150
Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:38 pm quote
I did it! I did it! I did it! Thanks for this great post. Now does anyone know how to fix the strap on my helmet I had to cut?
Lurker

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:00 am quote
Cable broken
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and stumbled by it when looking for help on getting my seat open. The lock mechanism appears fine but I think the cable is broken. The instructions look great below but i first need to get the seat open, Im hoping someone may be able to PM me with some advise on how to do this. Would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks

Ben
Hooked
1981 P200e; 2006 GT 200; 2017 KTM Duke 390
Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:07 pm quote
I used a bicycle brake cable for this job. It has a lead end that is already attached and the cable is stiff enough to feed through the cable housing (turning it as you feed makes it go through easily).

I also used a solderless electrical connector instead of making a wire loop. As it turned out it's the perfect size. Cut the cable longer than needed, insert it through the housing and trim it to the proper length including the connector. Insert the end into the connector and crimp it.

The cable cost $3 and I had a connector lying around.

connector.JPG

cable.jpg

Hooked
LX 150
Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:49 pm quote
That's a great idea! I'll try it. The picture wire keeps breaking on me.
Vespa LX50
Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:34 am quote
Thanks for this detailed fix... allthough in my case the cable itsself did not break, but the ring on the latch side had come of the pin as the spring lock ring was gone, it was good to see how and where the internal stuff on this construction was located.

Ron
Hooked
Dragon Red LX 150 (Hillary)
Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:04 am quote
Great ideas both of them, Thanks. I have been lucky and gone

three years without a problem. But now I know how to fix when the time

comes.

Paul
Enthusiast
Vespa LX50 2005
Tue May 19, 2009 3:42 pm quote
Awesome, will probably have to do this after I can get into my seat tonight! As when you turn the key it does feel like nothing is attached even though it doesn't open.
2006 LX 150
Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:13 am quote
Just did this fix, works great...
I went to the dealer first and they opened the seat for me, and told me there was no fix other than buy a new seat. I figured there had to be another way, and glad I found a solution here! Now, if someone could help me out with a way to open the seat when this cable breaks again... I realize why people are reluctant to post this info, so here's my email address:

storiadellarte@sbcglobal.net

I'm not interested in other's bikes, I've got my own.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Hooked
Vespa GTSie 250 Silver, LX 50 Silver
Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:39 pm quote
I just paid the dealer $300 to fix the seat on my LX I ALSO need to know how to get into the seat in the first place, so that I am able to fix it. I don't want to have to shell out any more $$ to the dealer for this one. Thanks.
2006 LX 150
Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:55 am quote
Re: Too much junk in the trunk – Fixing the LX seat latch
messycoloring wrote:
just post a help my seat won’t open and someone will send you a pm on how get it open.
Will no one help me out? I really don't want to go digging with a coat hanger. I fixed the cable on my own, but can't figure out how the dealer got the seat open after the cable broke. If you can share this info, please PM or email me:

Hooked
Vespa GTSie 250 Silver, LX 50 Silver
Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:02 am quote
I guess no one is willing to help me out either. I have two Vespa's and they are cared for as if they were my children. This is the only trouble I have had with the LX and I have had absolutely no trouble with my GTS. I am just trying to avoid another $300 bill from the dealer, since I could fix it myself. I have a stable of bicycles (9 in all), so a bicycle brake cable is easily found around this garage. Thanks.
2006 LX150 "Amadora"

Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:12 am quote
venezia1 wrote:
messycoloring wrote:
just post a help my seat won’t open and someone will send you a pm on how get it open.
Will no one help me out? I really don't want to go digging with a coat hanger. I fixed the cable on my own, but can't figure out how the dealer got the seat open after the cable broke. If you can share this info, please PM or email me:

Don't be offended that no one has emailed you the method of opening a locked seat. You'll find that members are understandably cautious about sharing that information over the internet. The easiest, and likely quickest, solution is to ask you dealer how to open a locked seat without damaging it.
2006 LX 150
Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:33 pm quote
Catch 22. Dealer told me the same thing; can't reveal because they would be encouraging theft. I understand why people are cautious, but the original post states "just post a help my seat won’t open and someone will send you a pm on how get it open." Apparently not so.
michael_h wrote:
Don't be offended that no one has emailed you the method of opening a locked seat. You'll find that members are understandably cautious about sharing that information over the internet. The easiest, and likely quickest, solution is to ask you dealer how to open a locked seat without damaging it.
2006 LX150 "Amadora"

Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 pm quote
venezia1 wrote:
Catch 22. Dealer told me the same thing; can't reveal because they would be encouraging theft. I understand why people are cautious, but the original post states "just post a help my seat won’t open and someone will send you a pm on how get it open." Apparently not so.
Hmmm, your dealer, who knows you, and knows what scooter he/she sold to you, won't help you open own your seat? That doesn't sound right to me. I think that there is more to this story.
2006 LX 150
Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:06 pm quote
michael_h wrote:
Hmmm, your dealer, who knows you, and knows what scooter he/she sold to you, won't help you open own your seat? That doesn't sound right to me. I think that there is more to this story.
It's simple economics. Not everyone is "nice". I bought my scooter 4 years ago and do much of my own maintenance. I'm sure they have no idea who I am.

The dealer told me flat out that wouldn't show me how they did it. Whether or nor you want to believe me is up to you. It's an issue that comes up frequently on an American radio show called "Car Talk". The mechanic knows hows to fix something very simple, so they send the client on a walk through the showroom. When the client comes back, voila, it's done. It's called "specialized knowledge", like when you go to an MD for a diagnosis. That one of the ways they make their money.

How much more of the story do you want to hear?
Enthusiast
Vespa LX50 2005
Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:52 am quote
You won't believe it but finally got the seat open, 4th time trying!!!

Now going to fix it and get back the bike! Been so long because helmet was in the seat so couldn't drive it plus had not much gas to drive it anywhere and of course couldn't put anymore gas into it!
Lurker

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:15 am quote
Just Happened to me, My Cable Broke
Hi there, just came home and tried to open my seat and this has happened to me. Can someone please PM me with instruction on how to open the seat. I don't want to have to break my seat.
Lurker
2006 LX 150

Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:16 pm quote
I have a stuck seat, too! I tried to jam it open but it didn't go. I would really appreciate some help in getting it open so I can fix it. I can show proof of ownership (either a photo ID with me holding the master key or registration with sensitive info blocked out) but with no option for gas or groceries and my dealer being closed on Mondays (ugh!), I really need some help!
Ossessionato
Kymco P250 Now, P200E in the 80's
Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:51 pm quote
Where are located? When your first post equates to"How can I break into a scooter" many here get a liitle concerned.

If you cannot get this resolved at the dealer tomorrow, let some one here know and we will see what can be done.
Lurker
2006 LX 150

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:30 pm quote
I do see how my first post being about wanting to "break into" my seat would set off a few red flags but I had no idea this community existed until I googled "vespa seat stuck" or something. That's why I offered to show some kind of proof, like my registration or insurance.

With all of the research I've done so far, it seems that the dealership would insist upon me purchasing a new seat, regardless if it's a quick fix or not. I bought a scooter because they're cheaper than a car (and in San Diego, the weather usually allows for safe riding) so I can't really afford to spend $300 on a seat. Also, my gas level is just under 1/4 tank so I'll need to get that filled very soon. I unfortunately work two jobs and both of them would be very upset if I'm late because I had to take the bus. I'm also not sure I have enough gas to get to work and the dealer tomorrow.

My uncle said he might be able to fix it but he's very flaky. I'm Ikea-furniture-assembly handy and I'll provide pretty much whatever to prove that I own my vespa. I just really want to get this as fixed as possible tonight.

Update: I was able to find the wire by the keyhole and pulled it. The end is frayed, so I definitely know the wire snapped. I think I know what I need to do based on the above pictures but I can't seem to manage it. Please - any help?!
Lurker
2006 LX 150

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:15 pm quote
Can anyone please help? I'm beyond frustrated, nearly crying. My uncle still isn't here and all I want to do is put some gas in the tank. This is my only mode of reliable transportation. PLEASE!
Molto Verboso
Shirley Mary the White Vespa ET2 2001; Velma, the Red Vespa LX125 2008
Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:14 pm quote
HELP!
yes it happened to me too.

My cable seems to have been broken tonight.
I'm part of the Donkie Skok club from London, I'm not trying to break into any dodgy bikes!
I have my handbag and my phone and everything under there, I'm really gutted!

Any help on how I open my seat (will then move on to fixing the cable, etc) would be sooooooooo appreciated, thanks!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PM ME, THANKS!!!!!!!!

Dessa
Ossessionato
LX 150
Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:18 pm quote
Re: HELP!
Dessita wrote:
yes it happened to me too.

My cable seems to have been broken tonight.
I'm part of the Donkie Skok club from London, I'm not trying to break into any dodgy bikes!
I have my handbag and my phone and everything under there, I'm really gutted!

Any help on how I open my seat (will then move on to fixing the cable, etc) would be sooooooooo appreciated, thanks!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PM ME, THANKS!!!!!!!!

Dessa
PM sent - hope that helps
Lurker
LX 125
Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:25 am quote
This is brilliant
The cable in my LX125 broke - I took it to the place where I get the bike serviced, and they manged to get it open. They then told me that, sorry - no they couldn't fix it, and I'd have to buy a new seat at the cost of £100.

I did a bit of research, and it turns out you can buy a replacement cable, but it's a special order.

I followed the instructions on here, and used a 'Clarks' stainless steal MTB gear cable from Halfords. It already has the weight soldered on at each end, so I took one off. I also used the solderless crimping connectors. These were a bit of a pain as they were a little tough to crimp, but i'm hoping that once crimped, they stay that way and hold the wire.

All in all, it works brilliantly. I just hope my fix lasts - I couldn't create a loop out of the cable as it's thicker than fishing wire, and I wanted something tough - maybe I can get a thinner gear wire.

But this how to is brilliant, and thanks!!

Josh
Lurker
Vespa LX 50 4T
Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:42 am quote
Another one here...
Another one here... It looks like I'm another of those guys who gets unlucky and after some research finds this forum, subscribes, and then starts asking questions about how to open LX seats...

Well, I'm sorry about that, but this is the second time this happens to me. (I should have learned: due to the helmet being incorrectly stored, the seat locker gets forced when closing). I think that the locker steel cable broke, as I can turn the key freely about 1/4 of a turn.
The first time this happened I took it to repair. But now they're closed for summer vacations until the end of August! Believe me, it's not that easy to find an available Vespa service in Lisbon right now.
Any chance someone can help? I can understand the security issues and I can provide every evidence that I'm the owner of the Vespa and that this is a totally legitimate request.
Thank you.
Lurker
LX50 2Stroke
Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:04 am quote
lx50 seat lock cable snapped
Hi,
I scooted home last night, turned the key in the seat and half way felt a give. Now the key will happily stay horizontal in the lock (rather than flipping back to vertical) and the seat stays firmly locked.

Today I've tried playing around with a wire coat hanger but after 10 minutes of randomly poking and pulling around at the latch point at the back I've admitted defeat.

My local garage was closed today (saturday) because of illness (typical!?) and i've about a quarter of a tank left. Please can someone PM me the magic instructions to getting the seat open.

Thank You.
Lurker
s125
Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:08 am quote
I am breaking into my seat tonight!
Have searched for an answer since leaving the gym last night, where my s125 is still sat - with the helmet in the seat box. On the way home I will get a brake cable and some crimping loops. Having read hundreds of posts defaming newbies - I have decided to use brute force and break it!

My local dealer has pointed out that they know of no way to open a broken seat box without damaging it and that brute force plus a couple of tools will do the trick. I will then see if I can use the brake cable method to mend or if the seat needs to be replaced.

What amazes me about the secrecy within the ranks is that if someone wanted to break into a seat box they would do what I am going to do. Break in. I am sure that someone looking for valuables doesn't care about the condition the bike is left in!

If anyone is ingerested I will let you know about the extent of the damage - and will even photgraph the operation if you want! But I doubt you really do.

(thanks for the tip on fitting a new cable - that is really very useful and community spirited).

Keep it clean.
2006 LX150 "Amadora"

Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:17 am quote
Re: I am breaking into my seat tonight!
fattyboomboom wrote:
My local dealer has pointed out that they know of no way to open a broken seat box without damaging it and that brute force plus a couple of tools will do the trick
Not true. I managed to open my broken seat quite easily - without tools - when I locked my keys in the pet carrier by accident. Someone at your dealership is misinformed.
fattyboomboom wrote:
What amazes me about the secrecy within the ranks is that if someone wanted to break into a seat box they would do what I am going to do. Break in.
I agree. If someone really wants to break into your scooter they may resort to brute force. But do we want to be sharing the relatively easy method of breaking into a scooter seat to help them along? It is about limiting the risk of theft - not facilitating it.
fattyboomboom wrote:
If anyone is ingerested I will let you know about the extent of the damage - and will even photgraph the operation if you want! But I doubt you really do.

(thanks for the tip on fitting a new cable - that is really very useful and community spirited).
I can appreciate the feeling of frustration that occurs when one is looking for help and believes that others are ignoring that plea. I've been in the exact situation with my own locked seat.

I believe that the membership (and the moderators) are mixed on whether not posting such information is helpful or unnecessarily restrictive. I don't have the answer for that, other than to say that we currently try to keep the information off of the main forum pages. (Many members willing help by way of pm, and there is nothing wrong with that).

I don't understand why people choose to interpret our reluctance in posting a "how-to break into your scooter guide" as a mean-spirited personal response. It isn't intended as that. We just don't want to make it easier for people to break into our scooters. Modern Vespa is community spirited, as you will come to learn when you spend time here. A first step would be to show the community spirit yourself, and I do not believe that your first post achieved that. (edit: I changed my opinion on this after re-reading the original post and deciding that he wasn't being sarcastic after all).

Hope that you get the seat problem worked out.
Lurker
LX50 2Stroke
Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:56 pm quote
Re: I am breaking into my seat tonight!
Hoping this isn't too late but you don't need to break into your seat!

My local garage gave the same advice as you were given. Thankfully I had already read these forums so kindly declined the offer. Next I tried a dealer but the lady who answered the phone was far from helpful and refused help, saying they were completely busy and I'd need to book it in later in the week (that was yesterday). But Metropolis in Vauxhall were brilliant! I was told to bring my scooter down and when i arrived one of the mechanics stopped his work and sorted me out, took about 10mins - and without busting it open! (the lock was then totally removed so I could get it home).

Today I bought some electric eyelits (as suggested by jtblam above) from Maplins (£1.19) and then some security fence wire from B&Q (98p) - which has a load factor of 40kg so hopefully won't snap. Then this evening, in the damp and dark (the instructions were that easy to follow!) I managed to install the wire thanks to Messycolorings very kind instructions above - thank you! My only alteration would be that threading the wire B to A is much easier than A to B. I've also used the electric eyelits at both ends, the A end it acts like the fish weight originally explained. So touch wood a £2.17 DIY job has saved me the £100+ of a new seat every place suggested was the only cure.

Cheers Messycoloring and jtblam!
Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold
Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:14 pm quote
Great news, Waspy!! I'm glad you got it worked out and fixed.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Tattle-tale
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:30 pm quote
Still waiting for a PM with instructions to get the seat open when the cable snaps. I have asked a couple of times.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
[ Time: 0.1964s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0457s) ][ Debug on ]