MP3 500 air filter filling with oil, any ideas why?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:43 am quote
Seeing that most 500's don't need topping up between 6000 mile services I think a recall is a tad excessive. Your dealer should fix it under warranty - I take it they are qualified Piaggio techs?
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 500
Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:34 am quote
jimc wrote:
Seeing that most 500's don't need topping up between 6000 mile services I think a recall is a tad excessive. Your dealer should fix it under warranty - I take it they are qualified Piaggio techs?
Sorry for my lack of insight, but what does "topping up" mean? I only have 2800 miles on it so far and this continuous problem.

My dealer has been trying to fix it under warranty but has not had any success. What is reasonable? I feel like there should be an answer after 4 trips into the shop and 5 weeks and counting in the shop...

Yup, certified Piaggio techs.

Appreciative of any and all info!
Hooked
MP3 - 500
Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:33 pm quote
Re: Topping up

Common expression meaning just to add maybe an ounce or 2, or maybe 3 only once in a while. Your issue takes on a whole different meaning!

The manual does state 'that a certain amount of oil will be consumed' but I don't believe they intended everyone to go around carrying jugs of oil under the seat to be safe.

R
Addicted
GTV250 GTS 300!! MP3 500, Lambretta TV200 S3 77 07 Aprilia Tuono 1000R 64 Vespa Vbb150
Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:47 pm quote
Hmmm if this has been an issue with low oil two things would need to be checked.

1. Oil pressure light would come on.

2. Drain the oil and see how much is left in the sump. I think it should be 1600 cc's maybe less due to consumption.

Also if you were losing 30 ml pre 100 miles your engine would be bone dry at 2800 miles. and that would bring you back to number 1. I have noticed on my MP3 500 (9230 miles) that the tube fills up with oil. I just drain it when it is full. Hope this has been helpful.

J. Moore
Piaggio MP 500
Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:51 am quote
I am wondering if anyone could provide me with a photo of the fix of this problem by doing the loop in the breather hose please.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:46 am quote
aussie41353 wrote:
I am wondering if anyone could provide me with a photo of the fix of this problem by doing the loop in the breather hose please.
There have been a few instances on MV where excessive oil consumption was followed by an engine failure. Earlier in this thread "manfetti" shows pictures of his failure. LJClark also posted with pictures of his failure in an earlier article "Cracked MP3 500 Piston -- The Pictures (Finally)".

There are a couple others if I recall correctly but this should get the ball rolling for you.
piaggio mp3 500
Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:35 pm quote
keep oil level in engine e slightly lower to stop oil evaporating out the breather OR run the breather pipe to the air with a small filter like I did ......
Hooked
2008 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:17 pm quote
clive500 wrote:
keep oil level in engine e slightly lower to stop oil evaporating out the breather OR run the breather pipe to the air with a small filter like I did ......
So you placed an filter on the breather tube from the crankcase and just capped off the hole in the airbox where the breather tube used to go?

Details - what filter, etc.
Any change in behavior?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:16 am quote
bigbadger wrote:
clive500 wrote:
So you placed an filter on the breather tube from the crankcase and just capped off the hole in the airbox where the breather tube used to go?

Details - what filter, etc.
Any change in behavior?
If you have the excessive oil issue then good gosh no! Unless you like the entire ass end of your bike soaked with oil. The serious form of this excessive oil issue will dump a quart out the breather in less than a 1,000 miles. Some folks report that in less than 500 miles.
Look right above the oil stick - top of the engine and you'll see a plastic elbow with a black hose going across and attaching to the airbox. Folks have purchased a longer length of hose enough to make a loop in and replaced that hose. Make sure the loop is up since the whole point is to try and keep the oil in the sump.
Hooked
2008 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:25 am quote
How much pressure is there in that breather tube when running WOT? Would it be possible to add a sponge/mesh (like the air filter) into the breather tube to 'catch' oil? There isn't much room above the engine and below the seat pan for a loop of hose. Mine kinda loops up and forward under the seat pan. Maybe a box with baffles could be used?
Molto Verboso
MP3 500 The HoneyBadger takes what it wants.
Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:27 am quote
bigbadger wrote:
Would it be possible to add a sponge/mesh (like the air filter) into the breather tube to 'catch' oil?
That's exactly what the guys at Rockridge Twowheels did on mine during a service. The oil in the air box since is a LOT less. It is a coarse, stiff synthetic screen similar to a brillo pad. The material is about 1.5" long and is pushed in from the crankcase end of the hose.
Hooked
2008 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:17 am quote
HoneyBadger wrote:
bigbadger wrote:
Would it be possible to add a sponge/mesh (like the air filter) into the breather tube to 'catch' oil?
That's exactly what the guys at Rockridge Twowheels did on mine during a service. The oil in the air box since is a LOT less. It is a coarse, stiff synthetic screen similar to a brillo pad. The material is about 1.5" long and is pushed in from the crankcase end of the hose.
Very interesting. Do you recall the name of the tech. I might call them and ask them to sell me some of that material or at least tell me what it is.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:09 pm quote
bigbadger wrote:
How much pressure is there in that breather tube when running WOT? Would it be possible to add a sponge/mesh (like the air filter) into the breather tube to 'catch' oil? There isn't much room above the engine and below the seat pan for a loop of hose. Mine kinda loops up and forward under the seat pan. Maybe a box with baffles could be used?
I measured almost 20 psi on the stand running at 6500 rpm. A lot. At idle it would just keep getting pumped up but would reach 10 psi after a few minutes.
The looped hose has worked for some - I ended up routing mine across, up by the side, around the back and into the air filter - prolly about 4 ft of hose. In the first 2 feet I pulled apart one of those brass scrubby pads and stuffed it into the hose for the oil to coagulate on to keep it from getting further. About the 2 ft point I inserted an inline gas filter to further restrict flow and act as a collection point at the high point. In spite of all this after an hour at 85 mph I will usually get about 20 ml or so in the airbox tube. This is not an issue except: a) I fill the oil to the top and/or b) high speed over 65 mph.
I explain this so you understand what is involved in concocting your own system - this isn't a go to Wally World and pick up <x> and screw it in.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500 The HoneyBadger takes what it wants.
Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:41 pm quote
bigbadger wrote:
Do you recall the name of the tech. I might call them and ask them to sell me some of that material or at least tell me what it is.
PM Sent with info.

Steve
Hooked
2008 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:44 pm quote
BubbaJon wrote:
bigbadger wrote:
I measured almost 20 psi on the stand running at 6500 rpm. A lot. At idle it would just keep getting pumped up but would reach 10 psi after a few minutes.
The looped hose has worked for some - I ended up routing mine across, up by the side, around the back and into the air filter - prolly about 4 ft of hose. In the first 2 feet I pulled apart one of those brass scrubby pads and stuffed it into the hose for the oil to coagulate on to keep it from getting further. About the 2 ft point I inserted an inline gas filter to further restrict flow and act as a collection point at the high point. In spite of all this after an hour at 85 mph I will usually get about 20 ml or so in the airbox tube. This is not an issue except: a) I fill the oil to the top and/or b) high speed over 65 mph.
I explain this so you understand what is involved in concocting your own system - this isn't a go to Wally World and pick up <x> and screw it in.
Understood. Just want to know what people have tried and how well it worked out for them. I put in about 2 feet of 3/4" ID hose with a look that goes up and forward. Too early to say if the oil transfer is less but dang if it does seem to run smoother for some reason. Now considering a longer run towards the back with 'brass brillo' inserted in the tube.

I used to make high power rockets from scratch so fabrication of things that do not exist yet doesn't scare me too much.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gv6k2gtr0zhcbhq/daveMLtower.jpg
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:09 pm quote
bigbadger wrote:
I used to make high power rockets from scratch so fabrication of things that do not exist yet doesn't scare me too much.
I used to work for Morton Thiokol. BEEG rockets. Still like to make Estes and my own to fly. Somewhere I have a boatload of PDF's of plans for thousands of rockets. I need to be a rich man so I have time to pursue my leisure activities!

BTW - they still have that event in Colorado for the medium to large rockets?
Hooked
2008 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:44 pm quote
BubbaJon wrote:
bigbadger wrote:
I used to work for Morton Thiokol. BEEG rockets. Still like to make Estes and my own to fly. Somewhere I have a boatload of PDF's of plans for thousands of rockets. I need to be a rich man so I have time to pursue my leisure activities!

BTW - they still have that event in Colorado for the medium to large rockets?
Not sure about CO. I think so. I was always out at Black Rock in NV.
Scarabeo S500 05 ABS
Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:14 am quote
The loop
me thinks its called a Johnson loop commonly used in hot tubs to keep components like ozonators from taking on water thru their feed tubes and being destroyed ..
Hooked
2008 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:17 pm quote
Since replacing the short horizontal hose with a longer loop of hose I no longer have oil in my clear bulb or hose from the airbox! Dipstick indicates I sill have oil in the engine as well!

Wahoo!

many thanks to Hepworth and BubbaJon
Piaggio MP 500
Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:47 pm quote
Very pleased to hear that oil leaking problems have cleared up. Yesterday I did the longer hose loop trick and hoping all goes well with it. When towing the camper trailer with the scooter, the oil was flowing out.
Hooked
mp3 500 sport
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:58 am quote
I've got same problem. So I've bought a flexi pipe connected to vacuum vent from engine .I've made flexi pipe go up into rear seat using tie wraps with a oil air filter attached at end of pipe I'll let you know if this stops oil coming out from vacuum vent from engine
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:28 am quote
Change the reed valve
Maksor wrote:

see Talk me into or out of a 2018 MP3 500 Sport
Lurker
MP3 500 Sport
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:02 am quote
Question about blowing oil in air filter box
Hi guys, I need your opinion on what my mechanic told me yesterday:

My model MP3 500 from 2017 has about 19400 km, in that time has been consumed about 1600cc of oil , approximately 800cc every 10000Km, he says that we have to process the warranty in order to change piston and cylinder but I do not agree with that, I think he has something to gain from that because it's not an official Piaggio workshop.

I'm not sure if he's right and I do not want to waste my time, I need my bike everyday to go to job.

The bike works well, no power loses, no smokes or noises etc... does anyone have a breakdown experience caused by a similar loss of oil?

Thank you very much for your responses.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:06 am quote
Re: Question about blowing oil in air filter box
bandkill wrote:

My model MP3 500 from 2017 has about 19400 km, in that time has been consumed about 1600cc of oil , approximately 800cc every 10000Km, he says that we have to process the warranty in order to change piston and cylinder but I do not agree with that, I think he has something to gain from that because it's not an official Piaggio workshop.

I'm not sure if he's right and I do not want to waste my time, I need my bike everyday to go to job.

The bike works well, no power loses, no smokes or noises etc... does anyone have a breakdown experience caused by a similar loss of oil?

Assuming you do your own Oil Changes?

You should change your Oil, only put in 1.5L, (Motul 15W50 300V) where it will show low on Dip Stick.
Clean your Air Box, put in a New Filter (Only use a few screws in the corners to make it easy to check inside.)

Before Riding, take a picture of your Dip Stick.
When you return, check your Air Box, and check your Dip Stick again; take a picture.
If your not seeing any Oil in the Air Box, and the Oil Level on the Dip Stick is showing the same, keep riding.
Note: see my Signature Line at the bottom of this Reply...

Doing this will prove if you really have an issue or not.
It's very likely, you are over filling and your causing the oil to blow out to your Air Box. Consistent Riding at above 5000 RPM's will cause the Oil to Blow.

So this is my Opinion...

At anytime during this test, you see Oil in Air Box, you have either a Piston Problem, or the Reed Valve issue Maksor mentions in earlier post.

The MP3/500 as I have learned, is a "Commuter Bike", and the Engine's poor design can't handle long intervals at Highway Speeds.

Good Luck,

Keith,
Marietta, GA

DipStick.jpg
Dip Stick after Oil Change, sitting on Center Stand.

AirBox.jpg
What your Air Box should look like if you follow the 5's Rules..

Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:11 am quote
klaborde wrote:
bandkill wrote:

You should change your Oil, only put in 1.5L, (Motul 15W50 300V) where it will show low on Dip Stick.
Clean your Air Box, put in a New Filter (Only use a few screws in the corners to make it easy to check inside.)

When you return, check your Air Box, and check your Dip Stick again; take a picture.
If your not seeing any Oil in the Air Box, and the Oil Level on the Dip Stick is showing the same, keep riding.

It's very likely, you are over filling and your causing the oil to blow out to your Air Box. Consistent Riding at above 5000 RPM's will cause the Oil to Blow.

So this is my Opinion...

At anytime during this test, you see Oil in Air Box, you have either a Piston Problem, or the Reed Valve issue Maksor mentions in earlier post.

The MP3/500 as I have learned, is a "Commuter Bike", and the Engine's poor design can't handle long intervals at Highway Speeds.

Good Luck,

Keith,
Marietta, GA
**Some** of them maybe, but not all have a problem.
We're on opposite ends of the spectrum here.
Over 40,000 miles on mine mostly at 70+ MPH.
Oil blow during the first ~3,000 miles and virtually none since.
Lurker
MP3 500 Sport
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:49 am quote
klaborde wrote:
bandkill wrote:

So this is my Opinion...

Good Luck,

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Thanks klaborde for your reply, I'll try this and report the results, i'm sure that there is no oil blows on 100km at least riding over 5000 rpms , because i've just replaced the air filter (It has 19000 km aged )
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 am quote
Yes, typical experience is oil blow for the first 3000 miles (5000 km), then it gets better. But it is a good idea to change oil to 15W50 and only fill it to 1/2 full on the dipstick (1.5 L).

Before I replaced my piston, my 500 was blowing 100 ml of oil in 20 miles when it was filled to the top of the dipstick with 5W30. I changed to 1.5L of 20W50, and the oil blow went to 10 mL in 100 miles. No change in riding habits. This was with a damaged piston.

800 ml in 6000 miles (10,000 km) isn't that bad. Especially if the oil is thin and the crankcase is full to the top of the dipstick. Try Klaborde's suggestions and you will probably see a dry airbox next time.
Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport ABS
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:34 am quote
800 cc in 10,000 km (.85 QT/6213 MI) doesn't seem like an issue to me, especially for a single cylinder engine turning decent RPM. I remember when anything less than 1/2 QT in 1000 miles was considered pretty good.
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:25 am quote
71Brent wrote:
800 cc in 10,000 km (.85 QT/6213 MI) doesn't seem like an issue to me, especially for a single cylinder engine turning decent RPM. I remember when anything less than 1/2 QT in 1000 miles was considered pretty good.
Exactly. That amount of oil burn is completely within reason. Much better actually. Just ride the thing!
Hooked
mp3 500 sport
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:57 am quote
Iíd do a compression test first thing I had similar problems turned out to be a broke piston
Hooked
mp3 500 sport
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 am quote
Since I rebuilt my engine on 500 Iíve fitted a one way valve up to a separate air filter no more oil in air box also bike seems to run better and oil level is half way on dip stick so Iím happy
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123
[ Time: 0.6438s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1355s) ][ Debug on ]