@mgg avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 BV500

Hooked
@mgg avatar
2007 BV500
UTC quote
I sent a message out to several dealers concerning the availability of roller weights for the GT and they asked what weight I want?

I thought I would get the stock weights.

Has anyone tried different weights and how did they work?

I figured Piaggio would have picked the best compromise for the power band.
@solid_steel avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX

Addicted
@solid_steel avatar
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
UTC quote
Re: What weight rollers should I get for the GT 200?
mgg wrote:
I figured Piaggio would have picked the best compromise for the power band.
They have... the question was probably in case you have changed the transmission or pipe & need to use another weight ..
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
why?
Why are you changing roller weights? Do you have flat spots on yours?

Is your bike shuttering and or shaking alot? How many miles on the scooter?

If you change the weight of the roller, you will change the characteristics of the GT that you have come to expect.

-larry
OP
@mgg avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 BV500

Hooked
@mgg avatar
2007 BV500
UTC quote
I will try to answer all your questions. Thanks for both posts.

As I will be changing the exhaust to the Scorpion, what rollers are recommended?

1. I don't know if I have flat spots on my rollers.

2. I have had some shuddering at take off when the engine is cold a couple times. Other wise I run and take off smooth as silk.

3. I have just over 10,000 miles on my scooter.

4. I need to change my front and back tire and have decided to do it my self this time. While I'm at it I decided to change the exhaust as it has to come off any way to change the back tire. (Oil, filter, hub oil, new denso plug and clean and recharge air filter are automatic.)

5. I have been reading that the rollors only last 6K-8K miles so I thought as long as I'm down for the winter anyway I might as well change them with the belt and rear brakes. ( Yea I'm down. It's 22 degrees here in Wisconsin today and I don't like riding when its below 40.)

6. If the rollers, belt, and brake look good and are in spec, I will not replace them but it won't hurt to have the parts. (I may not even order these parts unless I need them.) I would like to get a kevlar belt so I hope one is available as it should last longer and maybe deliver power a tad better as well.

I will report my findings on these parts when I open it up and check them.

Really I am surprised to find that the rollers need to be replaced so soon. It does not say to change them in my maintenance manual. It says to check them every 2 years. It does say to replace the belt though.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
If your current rollers have 10,000 miles on them, you should replace them with a new set of standard weight rollers.

I suggest you perform your maintenance before you swap-out the exhaust. The Scorpion pipe may detune your engine, and then you may mistakenly suspect your maintenance work as being faulty.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
rollers...
Funny thing about rollers, and variators in general, as with anything they can wear differently one to another, riding style, humidity, and hills vs. flats... this plus much much more affect the rollers and how they wear.

Our Italjet Dragster has over 16,000 kms on it ,original rollers.
My et4 however, I changed them at 5k miles.

Both Piaggio engines.

As far as the maintenance manual goes, they can't mention everything, my VW maintenance manual mentions nothing about the sway bar bushings needing to be replaced at 40k either, its just a fact of life.

-larry
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0482s ][ Queries: 9 (0.0224s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]