BV 500: How to Fix the Hose Clamp Problem at Fuel Pump
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports 123Next
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:18 pm quote
How to Fix the Hose Clamp Problem in the BV 500
Many many BV 500’s suffer from poor performance after about 3000 miles on the clock. The symptoms include: stalling, surging at low speeds, poor acceleration, low horsepower etc. Looking in the service manual is an effort in futility since all of these symptoms require the Piaggio service computer to diagnose. The problem is usually a design issue that fortunately is very easy to fix. Most units have been built without hose clamps on the high pressure fuel line hose coming out of the fuel pump located in the fuel tank. It seems that the problem started with the introduction of gasoline in North America that is blended with Ethanol. It appears that the blending of alcohol into the gasoline causes some breakdown in the fuel line. This causes a loss of proper pressure in the fuel line. While this seems like a serious design error on the part of Piaggio, forget the blame game for a minute and make sure your BV does not have this issue. Some contributors here on Modern Vespa have indicated that they are not only installing hose clamps as this project report shows, but also replacing the fuel line itself. The recommended fuel line and clamps are available at NAPA Autoparts. The proper part numbers are:

NAPA submersible 5/16" fuel line hose (part # H209)
NAPA high pressure hose clamps (part # 705-1226)

I would check for this issue this even if you have no apparent symptoms. After doing this repair, my scooter ran better than it ever did. I firmly believe that it was a parasite on my scooter’s performance from day one.

I would strongly recommend that you wait until your fuel tank is nearly empty before doing the following inspection/repair.

The inspection and possible repair consists of pulling the fuel pump/fuel tank sender/fuel filter assembly out of the fuel tank and seeing if there are hose clamps installed on the hose coming out of the fuel pump. If they are missing, it is a simple matter of installing hose clamps right over the hoses.

Tools Required
#2 Phillips Head Screw Driver
#2 Standard Blade Screw Driver
Small Hammer
Rag
2 ea 10" tie wraps (optional)
(possibly) 2 ea 1/2" (12mm) ID metal hose clamps (NAPA Part #705-1226 or equiv.)
(Optional) Replace fuel line itself (Napa Part #H209 or equiv.)

Step 1
Set scooter on level ground up on its lift stand. Open fuel door. Unscrew fuel tank cap. Remove rubber shield around fuel tank mouth. Now remove four screws. Two are inside the fuel door the other two are at the extreme front top corners of the black plastic saddle framework around the fuel filler door. Lift the fuel door end of the “saddle” and then urge the saddle out from under the lip at the rear of the saddle. Then tip the rear end up and over and off to the left (as looking forward). Screw the fuel cap back on to keep crud out of the tank. Things should now look as in the picture at Fig 1.

Step 2
You can see there are two hoses that are connected at right angles into the fuel tank. Where each hose connects, there is a small collar ring. Press downwards on the ring while simultaneously pulling upwards on the respective hose. It should come loose. It will likely leak some fuel when it disconnects. Have a rag ready! I used a tie wrap on each one to hold them up and out of the way. Now disconnect the cable. I tucked it under the fuel cap. Things should now look like Figure 2.

Step 3
There is a screw collar around the fuel tank sender assembly. Use a standard blade screwdriver placed against the ribs on the collar and tap lightly with a hammer. Unscrew the collar. Things should now look like Figure 3.

Step 4
Rock the fuel tank sender assembly back and forth while pulling upwards. I assure you, it will break free and start to come up and out. Once it comes up, you should be careful while lifting it up so as not to damage the tank float (the thing that figures out how much fuel you have for display on the fuel gauge).

There is no need to pull the entire assembly up and out, I would just hold it up with a string or weak bungee cord attached to the handlebars while working on it.

Look at the hose below the white lid. There should be two hose clamps on this hose like in the picture below. If they are not there, YOUR SCOOTER IS DEFECTIVE…..so install some! Buy metal hose clamps for a ˝” (12mm) hose. Unscrew them completely and wrap them around the hoses. They should be quite secure, but be careful about over-tightening them. You are wrapping around plastic fittings. Your fuel tank sender assembly should look like Figure 4.

Reassembly:
It is basically the reverse of the disassembly. Things to be careful about... The rubber ring that is around the white cap, tends to get folded over while reinserting the tank sender assembly. Be real careful that it slides in straight as you push it back down. Line it up in-line with the front/rear of the scooter and rescrew the collar. The two hoses just snap back in place. Reconnect the cable. Unscrew the tank cap, and replace the saddle cover. While installing the saddle cover, take care about the routing of the cable release for the fuel filler door. Install the four screws, the rubber seal around the tank filler collar, and the tank cap. You're done. GO RIDE!

image001.jpg
Figure 1

image002.jpg
Figure 2

image003.jpg
Figure 3

image004.jpg
Figure 4

Last edited by pdxscoot on Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:10 pm; edited 10 times in total
Ossessionato
Baart-less
Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:44 pm quote
PDX,

Thanks for the great post and pics. This is much appreciated.

Dave
Piaggio BV500 "Eva"
Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:02 pm quote
Much thanks, PDX. I stopped by the hardware store yesterday to get the clamps but didn't have the time to put them on. This guide will save me a lot of time.

-Rex
Addicted
Piaggio BV500, Genuine Stella, P200e
Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:56 pm quote
Add another to the list, mine also needed it, and the problem didn't show up until 9k miles.

Add to the how to though. Do Not do this with a full tank of fuel, at least half a tank or you WILL make a mess all over whatever is under the bike.
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:32 am quote
Thanks for the feedback
Great to hear you all are making use of this. I have been blasting since I did this fix. Dru...if you look closely, you'll see I did specifically mention that the tank should be nearly empty.
Addicted
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:40 am quote
I do now, I didn't when I started maybe it should be in big bold letters
Addicted
4 LD's in various states of repair, MP3 500, 1961 Lambro Fli 175, 1965 Topper, 07 GTS250, 81 P200, 79 P200
Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:58 am quote
my new BV 500 just came in the mail today... I am really greatful you posted this...

Last edited by Catskill on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:29 am quote
Wow...That's a really fine looking...
scooter. Congrats. Mine has a Piaggio mid height windscreen and hard side cases...both of which I can highly recommend. Make sure you get the hard cases for a BV500...not the 250!
Hooked
black GTS250 and Suzuki V-Strom
Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:31 am quote
how to fix the hose clamp problem on a BV500
The Aprilia Scarabeo 500 has the same engine, and the same fuel line problem. Mine is now in the shop so they can fix it for me.
Addicted
2007 Scarabeo 500ie
Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:04 pm quote
My husband and I have the Beo 500ie's also, and his was having all the symptoms. We have taken it in to the dealer 3 times, each time mentioning the fuel line problem. Not once did they check out the fuel line! Probably because a "girl" told them that was potentially the problem. We finally just got brave enough to try the fix ourselves, using these instructions and pictures, even though the BV is a little different. Man, can they make it any harder to get to the thing?! Well, the scoot runs like a champ now, but we'll have to have the idle adjusted back down - The dealer told us they adjusted the idle a bit higher, I guess in a vain effort to keep the scooter from stalling all the time.
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:23 pm quote
Monica,

I am so happy you were able to make such good use of this. My experience with the local Vespa dealer gave me no confidence at all. They actually told me they didn't have the right tool to adjust the idle up and encouraged my to go out and get my own. I did (it is called an "E4" socket...very hard to find). I adjusted the idle up but the problem did not go away. After I figured out the actual problem (thank you to all of the MV users who pointed me in the right direction), I was determined to make a proper work log to get this problem fixed by everyone, and for those who were not comfortable to do it themselves, would at least have ammo when talking with their dealer.
If you want your idle adjusted properly, we live pretty close...I'd be happy to do it for you.

-Arjen
Hooked
Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:32 pm quote
how to fix the fuel line problem
My bike has been in the shop since July 3rd. I want it back! To be fair, I also had a fuel gauge problem, and they had to get approval for it as a warranty repair. Still, it's hard not having a bike when it's great weather outside - and I'm on vacation!
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:43 am quote
That sucks
My deepest sympathies on not having your bike while on vacation. I have found that with the well meaninged but relatively thin dealer support out there that I have had to step up to the plate and fix/maintain my own machine. Best of luck on getting your ride back.
Hooked
BV 500
Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:37 pm quote
PDX,

Thanks for the great writeup and pics. This will help other BV 500 riders a great deal.

As an additional suggestion ... Once I got the whole assembly lifted from the tank fitting (Step 4 and figure 4), I realised that it was not possible to remove it completely from the tank because there was what looked like a filter attached to the bottom of the fuel pump intake.

It was difficult to hold it up and install fuel line clamps at the same time. What I did was use a bungee cord secured to handlebar to hold up the assembly which left both hands free to install the hose clamps. I was paranoid that I would drop some random bits into the gas tank.

Cheers!
Lurker
Piaggio BV 500
Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:02 pm quote
Thanks!
I just bought a BV 500 in June and have put about 800 miles on it thus far. It is a great commuter. However, I have had persistent stalling problems... sometimes at stops, but sometimes while rolling (very dangerous). Anyhow, I am checking this tomorrow for sure!

Thanks for posting the pics and the detailed steps!

Also, does anyone know where I could get a service manual? I'd like to do the maintenance myself, considering the lack of good local dealer support (and the high expense when it is available).
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:18 am quote
Congrats on your new BV. Service manuals are posted here at Modern Vespa under Technical Library...including for your new BV.
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:24 am quote

Thanks for the comments. Happy things worked out well. I have edited the article to include your suggestion.
Hooked
Piaggio BV500
Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:57 am quote
Thank you very much
My bike has the same problem. The dealer replace the new fuel pump, but I will check to see them install the clamp or not. Thanks again.
Hooked
Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:49 pm quote
fuel pump issue
Bad news; my dealer refused to replace the fuel pump line or add clamps, even if I paid. He claimed it is NOT a known issue officially. This is on a 2007 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, which uses the same engine as the BV 500. And he had it in his shop for over two weeks to fix a faulty fuel gauge, which was a perfect opportunity to add the fuel camps easily, while it was already apart. Bummer.
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:25 pm quote
Steve,

With the huge number of postings on this very issue, you'd think the dealer would be a little more understanding. I know that my dealer's lack of a proper response prompted me to take this issue into my own hands in the first place. You can bet that I will remember the treatment I received in the future. I expect you'll do the same with your dealer.

I'd do the check yourself if I were you (come to think of it...that's exactly what I did).

-Arjen
Lurker
Piaggio BV500
Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:11 pm quote
Thank you thank you thank you
Just got my 2007 BV 500 in July already have 1500 mile on it..... Maybe it was the bumpy roads and or the dirt road I have to drive down for a week... I lost power.... and engine start to sputter and spit.... top end went down to about 75 mph ..... did the clamp fix wow back to the old ways.... .. Fix all the problems ... Thank again..
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:13 pm quote
That's great news! Happy riding!
Enthusiast
Vespa 300
Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:06 pm quote
Is this problem specific to specific manufacturing years or all of them?
Ossessionato
Honda Helix
Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:23 pm quote
MCGREGORPI wrote:
Is this problem specific to specific manufacturing years or all of them?
Depends on the day of the week it was manufactured- that's my only guess.

As for it being officially recognized, there is a service bulletin, but it doesn't apply to those of us who have the issue on new bikes because it was fixed.....
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:08 pm quote
models effected
I'm sorry, I am unaware of a specific set of serial numbers that define those bikes that are effected. Every 2007 model I have seen has this issue.I have no personal experience , but have heard that the X-9 500 has this problem too. Maybe some others could weigh in on their experiences?
Hooked
Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:07 pm quote
Kermit wrote:
My husband and I have the Beo 500ie's also, and his was having all the symptoms. We have taken it in to the dealer 3 times, each time mentioning the fuel line problem. Not once did they check out the fuel line! Probably because a "girl" told them that was potentially the problem. We finally just got brave enough to try the fix ourselves, using these instructions and pictures, even though the BV is a little different. Man, can they make it any harder to get to the thing?! Well, the scoot runs like a champ now, but we'll have to have the idle adjusted back down - The dealer told us they adjusted the idle a bit higher, I guess in a vain effort to keep the scooter from stalling all the time.
Kermit, I got the impression that there was a lot more stuff that had to be removed on the Beo than on the BV. Can you post what you had to do to get at your fuel pump? Thanks.
Addicted
Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:17 am quote
The issue effects ALL MASTER engines (400-500), BV, Beo, X9, MP3. It effects all years, though I expect a slipstream fix sometime in the 09's, and it is entirely fuel related. Until 10% ethanol became pretty much universal in US fuels, the problem was sporadic and isolated to areas of the US that had adopted ethanol blends. Only with this years widespread adoption of ethanol blends has the problem really become widespread. Given another year of ethanol blends and fewer of the 'winter' blends removing the ethanol, I would expect that there won't be a MASTER that is not exhibiting symptoms of the problem. The dealers will eventually clue in, but we have to remember, our MASTER 500's make up less than 1/10 of the bikes our dealers service. LEADER and QUASAR's sell in vastly higher quantities than the MASTER (for the moment, just notice the uptick in 500's on this very venue in the last 6 months).

I would suggest that we all take a card from pdx's playbook and start documenting our fixes and publishing them for ourselves. Our dealers are not going to be our best support in this, we are.

Ritchj, You did the charcoal removal on your Beo didn't you? I understand that can have an impact on some of the stalling issues with MASTERs that have been run for extended periods of time at high speeds. A tutorial on bypassing and or removing the charcoal system might be worthwhile.
Hooked
Scarabeo 150, Scarabeo 500ie, Triumph T120, W650, Super Sherpa, Vespa 150 Sprint
Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:54 pm quote
Quig, et al, yes there is a lot more plastic to be removed on the Beo 500ie than the BV500. I just did my Scarabeo 500ie. The rear rack and rear-side plastic need to come off initially.

Then starting with the headlamp and working down, remove the headlamp and all the front plastic. I started working from the bottom up first......this was not the best way. At this point its pretty much the same as that posted here for the BV500. The yahoo ScarabeoRiders group has service manuals and parts pictorials in the files section that are helpful in knowing how the plastic fits together.

I also found reinserting the pump assembly back into the tank worked much better if you insert the rubber/neoprene collar into the tank first and then the pump, rather than leave the collar on the pump while inserting. Its also easier to remove the fuel lines first before loosening the retaining ring as the pump is more rigidly mounted at that point.

I have also heard of reports of the OE clear plastic fuel line also rupturing so I used NAPA submersible 5/16" fuel line hose (part # H209) and NAPA high pressure hose clamps (part # 705-1226), as compared to the typical worm drive screw clamps. I've got some extra hose and clamps left over....PM me if you need some.

Vernon
Ossessionato
2009 BV500
Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:42 am quote
I have a 2009 BV500. It runs great right now. Is there anything to pay attention to when it might be going downhill and I should make the fix. Also has anyone thought if the gasoline will corrode those clamps?
Hooked
Scarabeo 150, Scarabeo 500ie, Triumph T120, W650, Super Sherpa, Vespa 150 Sprint
Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:26 am quote
The most noticeable symptom is stalling at idle. Hot weather and slow speed driving seem to bring the problem to light as heat makes the existing fuel line more pliable and therefore more prone to leak around the ends.

Hopefully, the 2009 scoots have had the problem resolved, but I don't know. Your dealer may have knowledge on this, but few dealers seem to be really in touch with this issue.

The NAPA (part # 705-1226) high pressure fuel line clamps are stainless and made for fuel submersion. Other stainless worm screw type clamps are probably OK, but no guarantees.

Vernon
Addicted
2007 Scarabeo 500ie
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:20 pm quote
Ha, ha, get this...Our dealer called us today to ask us how we did the fuel line fix, because they had a customer's bike in their shop that was having the same symptoms, and they didn't know how to fix it! Now that is pretty sad. Sure doesn't instill a lot of confidence in my local dealer.
Ossessionato
Honda Helix
Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:49 am quote
dru_ wrote:
Ritchj, You did the charcoal removal on your Beo didn't you? I understand that can have an impact on some of the stalling issues with MASTERs that have been run for extended periods of time at high speeds. A tutorial on bypassing and or removing the charcoal system might be worthwhile.
Nope - haven't touched that stuff on any of my scooters. I am OK with the catastrophic/claustrophobic converter in the muffler and the evap cannister because the government knows what is best for me. And I'm lazy. It did fall off of my Mana and Caponord though, and hasn't affected running on either.

I think the user dudel here posted a 'how to,' about 18 months ago. He doesn't post that often, so if the username is right, it shouldn't be too hard to find. It might even be in the project section.
Hooked
Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:46 pm quote
It's on my list of things to do on my Beo 500ie. It looks straightforward compared to the effort to replace and clamp the fuel line.

I was tempted to do the evap cannister exodus while I had the plastic off for the fuel line fix but didn't want to make two changes at once......as the cause and effect are muddled then.

I will take off my entire system and cap the tube at the intake manifold.....as in Europe.....rather than cap the tube where it meets the evap cannister.

Here is "Dudel's" post where he did this on his BV500....not sure if he has done so on the Beo 500ie he has now though.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic22983

Vernon
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:33 pm quote
fried okra wrote:
Quig, et al, yes there is a lot more plastic to be removed on the Beo 500ie than the BV500. I just did my Scarabeo 500ie. The rear rack and rear-side plastic need to come off initially.

Then starting with the headlamp and working down, remove the headlamp and all the front plastic. I started working from the bottom up first......this was not the best way. At this point its pretty much the same as that posted here for the BV500. The yahoo ScarabeoRiders group has service manuals and parts pictorials in the files section that are helpful in knowing how the plastic fits together.

I also found reinserting the pump assembly back into the tank worked much better if you insert the rubber/neoprene collar into the tank first and then the pump, rather than leave the collar on the pump while inserting. Its also easier to remove the fuel lines first before loosening the retaining ring as the pump is more rigidly mounted at that point.

I have also heard of reports of the OE clear plastic fuel line also rupturing so I used NAPA submersible 5/16" fuel line hose (part # H209) and NAPA high pressure hose clamps (part # 705-1226), as compared to the typical worm drive screw clamps. I've got some extra hose and clamps left over....PM me if you need some.

Vernon
Fried/Vernon,
I changed the article to include your Napa part numbers and the theory that it may be good practice to replace the fuel line at the same time. Thanks for your contribution to this Project Report.
-Arjen (aka pdxscoot)
Lurker
Piaggio BV 500
Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:59 pm quote
BV 500:Fuel line replaced and hose clamps applied - success!
pdxscoot:
Thanks for this excellent post. I applied the fix today and also replaced the fuel line to be sure. Your instructions are great and Bev started right up after re-assemply; no more rough or cutting-out idle!

Below are a couple of photos of the end result. Looking good!
scootaluca

bv_fuel_line_assembly1.jpg

bv_fuel_line_assembly2.jpg

Hooked
Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:40 pm quote
Its interesting to note the fuel gauge float sensor is mounted directly to the fuel pump assembly on the BV500 whereas the Scarabeo 500ie has a separately mounted fuel float in the forward part of the tank.

Vernon
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:03 pm quote
scootaluca,

Thanks for these additional pics.

Question: Didn't it really stink to pull the entire assembly out like that? Why did you feel the need to pull it all the way out? Don't you think you could have replaced the hose in-situ?

Nonetheless, it makes for great pictures. Thanks.

-Arjen (aka pdxscoot)
Ossessionato
2009 BV500
Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:43 am quote
I am beginning to think my 2009 BV500 has this problem as well. Last week it backfired while starting it. Also yesterday it was HOT on the way home and it stalled on me when I tried to accelerate from a stop at idle. Then when I would slow down I could hear the engine sputtering until I got closer to a stop and then the sound would go away.

I am going to try to find some time this weekend to take it apart and see if it has the problem. I don't know of any Napa auto parts stores. Does anyone have Pep boys or Advanced Auto Parts and know what their part numbers are?
Enthusiast
Beverly 250
Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:24 pm quote
My BV250 has the same problem. The dealer blamed it on hot weather. Hot weather? I live in Florida. It's always hot down here!

Anyways I find the link to this fix through the Aprilia AF-1 Forum.

Thanks for the write-up and images!

A simple fix.
Ossessionato
2009 BV500
Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:25 pm quote
Did you fix yours already? Did it solve the hot weather problem?
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports 123Next
[ Time: 0.2217s ][ Queries: 34 (0.1011s) ][ Debug on ]