REVIEW: Dainese Airstream Course helmet with Bluetooth
Post Reply    Forum -> Reviews
Ossessionato
One of each
Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:00 am quote
Is this a solution for a real problem or was it done 'because we can.'

The Dainese Airstream Course Bluetooth helmet has phone and intercom connectivity built in, and I've been riding with it for about 200 miles.

Dainese is an Italian company that provides "Head-to-toe protection for people who engage in dynamic sports," including scooters/motorcycles, snow sports, mountain biking, and water sports. They're also developing a motorcyclists' airbag vest called the D-Air that works like a car airbag, but you wear it.

My challenges with helmet selection have been a fat head, which is always too hot even when wearing just a hat. I initially wanted a helmet with a flip up chin, but learned that you're not supposed to ride with the chin piece in the 'up,' position, because the helmet can pop off easily, the rest of the helmet requires the structure for shape retention during impact, and the aerodynamics are poor.

I was comfortable in a Dainese L, which I though was amazing, because almost every helmet I tried at the store that fit, was an XL. I like my chin, occasionally use my brain (reason for the heat?) so while there is an open face version with a cool looking fighter pilot microphone, I chose the full-face version.

The venting system works great at keeping my head cool on the couple 95-degree days we’ve had so far. There are two moveable plastic sliders that open airflow to your face. One directs airflow to the top of your head, which then exits just above the neck, while the other provides fresh air to your face. See the photos for open and closed images. These sliders are a little tough with gloves on.

The other neat feature is the visor lock. The visor lock allows the visor to be locked open about an eighth of an inch for ventilation. The lever for locking it open is on the left and can easily be manipulated with gloves.

The helmet has very little wind noise at cruising speed, is reasonably light, and I think it is pretty aerodynamic because my neck hasn't been wrenched off while checking traffic behind while moving.

I'm waiting for my dealer to receive the tinted visors, so no opinions there. The only color it is available is 'Soft Titanium,' which is a flat gray, and may blend into the environment a little too much. The venting controls are a little too close together for a Helmet Halo, but it works anyways.

On to the Bluetooth features!

I'm a gadget guy when they work. If they don't, I threaten to eliminate every similar piece of equipment within reach, and then realize something isn't plugged in or turned on. I also almost never RTFM.

I don't like my Bluetooth headset, too much of a Star Trek/Enders Game look (reason for the blue color?) and 'I'm so important I can't miss a call,' effect for me. My current Bluetooth headset is one that pops up as one suggested for in helmet use, and I can’t imagine having it between my skull and helmet; it falls off just walking around, so why chance loosing the thing at 60 mph?

Having the option of listening to my wife scream lookout or tell me to slow down, should she ever agree to go for a ride, could be cool. We bought two.

There is a built in microphone and speakers by your ears. The microphone doesn’t interfere with cruisin’ karaoke or sticking your tongue out at little kids who make faces, although they can’t see your response. The speakers are loud enough for most conditions, and there is volume control.

We've tried the intercom in the house while vacuuming - for effect, and they worked great until the doorbell rang, and one of the neighbors looked in. The Bluetooth feature works between helmets with or without a phone.

Two or more of the Dainese Bluetooth helmets can connect, so on a group ride, riders within about 30 feet can chat. Getting the helmets into conversation mode was very easy, with the usual hold the button down trick. The battery recharges in about 5 hours, and is supposed to last up to twelve hours. The charger is very much like the one for your cell phone.

Answering a call can be set up one of two ways, automatic answer, or push the button on the helmet. I think there is a way to use voice dial, should your phone have it. While I do not intend to be on the phone not watching for SUV drivers who are also on the phone not watching for scooter riders, having that as an option was too cool to pass up.

I've left messages on the home phone to check the quality and it was quite good, and my speech was intelligible. The sound quality is better than that friend who only calls from the big game or while driving with the windows down trying to set a new land speed record.

Considering the price of a good helmet, and one of the add- on intercom systems and figuring out where to put it, or the clunky-ness of FRS radios or keeping a piece of string taught between two helmets, a Bluetooth helmet might be for you.

No I haven't tried to Bluetooth my iPod into the helmet, not sure that would be safe, and as far as I can tell, without RTFM, it won't work.

The helmet comes with a great helmet storage bag, lots of instructions, a chin area wind deflector (so there isn’t a rush of air from below?), and some other stuff I haven’t bothered to look at.

How expensive are they you ask? Silly expensive I answer. MSRP is around $650, we bought ours when we dropped the cash for the GTS, so we got a smokin' deal that I promised not to reveal. I'd expect them to retail without a bike purchase around $500. All of the photos are taken of my wife's helmet, I couldn't be bothered to clean bug guts on mine.
Ossessionato
Aprilia Sportcity Cube 250ie, Stella 2T
Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:25 am quote
Re: Review: Dainese Airstream Course helmet with Bluetooth
ritchj wrote:
We've tried the intercom in the house while vacuuming - for effect, and they worked great until the doorbell rang, and one of the neighbors looked in.
I laughed out loud when I envisioned this. They must've thought aliens were cleaning your house.

Great review! Yet another thing to drool over....
Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club
Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:48 am quote
Great review. And love your touches of humor.

Here is my question/dilemma. What happens when you drop the helmet or are in an accident and you need to replace your helmet? Can any of the technology move over to a new helmet or do you just have to chuck the whole thing and fork out more money? (This assumes the electronics survive the crash or drop, of course.)
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:22 am quote
This is a great review. Thanks! I'll let this float here in General Discussions until it gets close to the bottom of the page (more exposure), and then I'll move it to the Reviews area.

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to write this for our benefit.
Ossessionato
One of each
Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:33 am quote
Nukie wrote:
Here is my question/dilemma. What happens when you drop the helmet or are in an accident and you need to replace your helmet? Can any of the technology move over to a new helmet or do you just have to chuck the whole thing and fork out more money? (This assumes the electronics survive the crash or drop, of course.)
Other than the battery unit and possibly a removable/washable pad, I'm not sure it is feasible to move the electronics from one helmet to the another. I'm also not sure what a non-Bluetooth version of this helmet costs.

I suspect the electronics in the helmet have gone through the same tests that they put other personal electronics through, so it should be pretty rugged- I know my cell phone has chunks missing from hitting the ground. There is a huge variation in helmet prices and with any one of them, you take that chance. My hairy fat hamster cage is worth investing in a good helmet.

My expectation with Bluetooth is that THEY already have the next great technology ready and are just waiting for 63.21857% of us to adopt it into our daily lives, then they'll spring something new on us (or start charging/taxing/licensing for it.) You know how THEY are....

(Now typing in my fathers voice) Like buying anything, you have to decide this is it, and not despair at the other options the model today has. Or you could move into a cave, not you Nukie, but in general.
GTS 300 Super
Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:40 pm quote
I have the same helmet and frankly I luv it.
I had first the Airstream and failed to work after 6 months, I returned it and then was given the Airstream Corsa. which differs in little things, among them the finish, the lst one is not soft rubber finished but rahter darker gray mate painted.
The quality is extremely good and works like a charm with the Motorola VRazr.
I also luv my Dainese boots and my jacket.
Here's a pic...
GTS 300 Super
Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:42 pm quote
here's another pic of the boots
Ossessionato
Baart-less
Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:16 pm quote
Cell phone use and driving should be illegal plain and simple, there are dozens and dozens of studies that prove how dangerous it is. Riding a motorcycle/scooter and cell phone use is idiotic. Can you imagine the pandemonium on the streets when the SUV and pickup drivers who have switched to bikes and scooters to save money find out they can talk on the phone as they ride to work?
I predict a culling of the herd of fairly large proportions. The sad thing is that motorcycles and scooters will get a very bad reputation because of this technology that we don't need. We are all going to pay dearly for our insurance as use of these devices and the ensuing crashes become more common place.

Dave
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant
Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:48 am quote
Re: REVIEW: Dainese Airstream Course helmet with Bluetooth
We're droolin' for this in Temecula! That helmet rocks!
Lurker
Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:06 am quote
Dainese Airstream Course Bluetooth Helmet
I think with the Dainese bluetooth helmet it may now be possible to "cut the cords."

Does anyone have a point-of-contact or online store that sales these helmets?

Jerry
jerrypdavis@bellsouth.net
Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300ie
Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:43 pm quote
I'd be interested in something that allowed my wife and myself to converse while touring. Was this easy? we just did a ride, and were always trying to yell over the wind noise.
Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:29 am quote
Chetwynder wrote:
Cell phone use and driving should be illegal plain and simple, there are dozens and dozens of studies that prove how dangerous it is. Riding a motorcycle/scooter and cell phone use is idiotic. Can you imagine the pandemonium on the streets when the SUV and pickup drivers who have switched to bikes and scooters to save money find out they can talk on the phone as they ride to work?
I predict a culling of the herd of fairly large proportions. The sad thing is that motorcycles and scooters will get a very bad reputation because of this technology that we don't need. We are all going to pay dearly for our insurance as use of these devices and the ensuing crashes become more common place.

Dave
For some it is a problem, for ME it is not!
I have my Dainese helmet linked to my Zumo 550. It makes it a much safer ride. I don't have to pull over in Compton to look at a map. But then again, I might be armed. Well Atleast I don't have to pull over and stop.
Lurker
Yamaha Morphous
Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:03 pm quote
Dainese bluetooth calls on freeway?
I urgently need to communicate with a pregnant wife while at freeway speeds, and also would like to stream audiobooks from a Zumo 550.

I tried one briefly, and it seemed awfully quiet- will it work at freeway speeds?

Thanks!
DrJ
Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:34 am quote
Re: Dainese bluetooth calls on freeway?
drjbone wrote:
I urgently need to communicate with a pregnant wife while at freeway speeds, and also would like to stream audiobooks from a Zumo 550.

I tried one briefly, and it seemed awfully quiet- will it work at freeway speeds?

Thanks!
DrJ
Absolutely, you just have to adjust the volume on the helmet and the phone.
Modratrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:53 am quote
crackhead wrote:
ritchj wrote:
We've tried the intercom in the house while vacuuming - for effect, and they worked great until the doorbell rang, and one of the neighbors looked in.
I laughed out loud when I envisioned this. They must've thought aliens were cleaning your house.

+1 Hilarious. Wonderful review, too. Thnx, ritchj!

--Deborah
Shopping now
Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:52 am quote
mattgordon wrote:
We're droolin' for this in Temecula! That helmet rocks!
DITTIO!
Shopping now
Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:54 am quote
MexExec wrote:
I have the same helmet and frankly I luv it.
I had first the Airstream and failed to work after 6 months, I returned it and then was given the Airstream Corsa. which differs in little things, among them the finish, the lst one is not soft rubber finished but rahter darker gray mate painted.
The quality is extremely good and works like a charm with the Motorola VRazr.
I also luv my Dainese boots and my jacket.
Here's a pic...
Love that jacket VERY nice!
Hooked
1977 Primavera ET3 , 2006 125 Genuine , SYM HD 200 ( run over by an RV). 05 Piaggio BV250 & 2002 Honda CBR F4i, 2002 HD Sportster 1200 XL , NO CAGE
Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:34 am quote
pdxvespa wrote:
crackhead wrote:
ritchj wrote:

+1 Hilarious. Wonderful review, too. Thnx, ritchj!

--Deborah
Hey Ritch, we will have to have a helmet to helmet talk at AmeriVespa!
Great review.

I received this helmet from my partner in crime ( ! ) last week and I can't bring myself to wear any of the other helmets in my helmet rack .

I's super light from the carbon fiber, quiet at freeway speeds and in high wind, phone calls are clear. I can't say anything bad about it. The most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. The air cooling system works really well too.

I remember a ride last fall from SF to Yosemite when it was around 100 degrees and felt I was like riding through an oven for several hours.
My brain was seriously cooked inside one of my other helmets by the time we arrived at our campsite, even with air vents wide open.

I took a hot & windy twisty mountain ride on Thursday and I have to say it was surprisingly cool inside my new helmet. My riding jacket ... not so much!

Laura J
Enthusiast
GTS 300 SUPER
Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:56 am quote
ritchj wrote:
Is this a solution for a real problem or was it done 'because we can.'

The Dainese Airstream Course Bluetooth helmet has phone and intercom connectivity built in, and I've been riding with it for about 200 miles.

Dainese is an Italian company that provides "Head-to-toe protection for people who engage in dynamic sports," including scooters/motorcycles, snow sports, mountain biking, and water sports. They're also developing a motorcyclists' airbag vest called the D-Air that works like a car airbag, but you wear it.

My challenges with helmet selection have been a fat head, which is always too hot even when wearing just a hat. I initially wanted a helmet with a flip up chin, but learned that you're not supposed to ride with the chin piece in the 'up,' position, because the helmet can pop off easily, the rest of the helmet requires the structure for shape retention during impact, and the
aerodynamics are poor.

Today October 2011, this Bluetooth system is not supported by an iPhone 4!!

I was comfortable in a Dainese L, which I though was amazing, because almost every helmet I tried at the store that fit, was an XL. I like my chin, occasionally use my brain (reason for the heat?) so while there is an open face version with a cool looking fighter pilot microphone, I chose the full-face version.

The venting system works great at keeping my head cool on the couple 95-degree days we’ve had so far. There are two moveable plastic sliders that open airflow to your face. One directs airflow to the top of your head, which then exits just above the neck, while the other provides fresh air to your face. See the photos for open and closed images. These sliders are a little tough with gloves on.

The other neat feature is the visor lock. The visor lock allows the visor to be locked open about an eighth of an inch for ventilation. The lever for locking it open is on the left and can easily be manipulated with gloves.

The helmet has very little wind noise at cruising speed, is reasonably light, and I think it is pretty aerodynamic because my neck hasn't been wrenched off while checking traffic behind while moving.

I'm waiting for my dealer to receive the tinted visors, so no opinions there. The only color it is available is 'Soft Titanium,' which is a flat gray, and may blend into the environment a little too much. The venting controls are a little too close together for a Helmet Halo, but it works anyways.

On to the Bluetooth features!

I'm a gadget guy when they work. If they don't, I threaten to eliminate every similar piece of equipment within reach, and then realize something isn't plugged in or turned on. I also almost never RTFM.

I don't like my Bluetooth headset, too much of a Star Trek/Enders Game look (reason for the blue color?) and 'I'm so important I can't miss a call,' effect for me. My current Bluetooth headset is one that pops up as one suggested for in helmet use, and I can’t imagine having it between my skull and helmet; it falls off just walking around, so why chance loosing the thing at 60 mph?

Having the option of listening to my wife scream lookout or tell me to slow down, should she ever agree to go for a ride, could be cool. We bought two.

There is a built in microphone and speakers by your ears. The microphone doesn’t interfere with cruisin’ karaoke or sticking your tongue out at little kids who make faces, although they can’t see your response. The speakers are loud enough for most conditions, and there is volume control.

We've tried the intercom in the house while vacuuming - for effect, and they worked great until the doorbell rang, and one of the neighbors looked in. The Bluetooth feature works between helmets with or without a phone.

Two or more of the Dainese Bluetooth helmets can connect, so on a group ride, riders within about 30 feet can chat. Getting the helmets into conversation mode was very easy, with the usual hold the button down trick. The battery recharges in about 5 hours, and is supposed to last up to twelve hours. The charger is very much like the one for your cell phone.

Answering a call can be set up one of two ways, automatic answer, or push the button on the helmet. I think there is a way to use voice dial, should your phone have it. While I do not intend to be on the phone not watching for SUV drivers who are also on the phone not watching for scooter riders, having that as an option was too cool to pass up.

I've left messages on the home phone to check the quality and it was quite good, and my speech was intelligible. The sound quality is better than that friend who only calls from the big game or while driving with the windows down trying to set a new land speed record.

Considering the price of a good helmet, and one of the add- on intercom systems and figuring out where to put it, or the clunky-ness of FRS radios or keeping a piece of string taught between two helmets, a Bluetooth helmet might be for you.

No I haven't tried to Bluetooth my iPod into the helmet, not sure that would be safe, and as far as I can tell, without RTFM, it won't work.

The helmet comes with a great helmet storage bag, lots of instructions, a chin area wind deflector (so there isn’t a rush of air from below?), and some other stuff I haven’t bothered to look at.

How expensive are they you ask? Silly expensive I answer. MSRP is around $650, we bought ours when we dropped the cash for the GTS, so we got a smokin' deal that I promised not to reveal. I'd expect them to retail without a bike purchase around $500. All of the photos are taken of my wife's helmet, I couldn't be bothered to clean bug guts on mine.
Enthusiast
Gts super IS HERE!
Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:52 am quote
After reading this review I had my heart SET on picking one of these up. Turns out in my neck of the woods even at the dainese store they dont carry any dainese helmets. Its all agv. Poopsticks.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Reviews
[ Time: 0.3800s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0562s) ][ Debug on ]