Stebel Nautilus Install / Split Compressor from Horn
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
03 Stella & 06 Scarabeo 250
Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:56 am quote
I finally got around to installing my Stebel Nautilus Horn on the Stella. I split the compressor from the horn and installed the compressor in the glove box and the horn under the floorboard. I also wanted to keep my original Stella (beep beep) horn so I wired the Stebel horn independent of the Stella horn. I added a separate horn button and installed it on the left side of the floorboard. My floorboard mat covers up my wiring, but I could have easily routed the wiring under the scooter if I didn't have the mat.

I didn’t want to mess with the original Stella horn for several reasons. I wanted to be able to use the Stella horn for friendlier beeps plus I didn’t want to mess with Stella’s less than ideal factory wiring. I can use the Stebel Horn for “GET THE HELL OUTTA MY WAY” by stepping on the horn button with my left foot or I can honk both horns at the same time!

It’s SUPER LOUD, works great and hopefully makes me a little safer from cagers that want to run me over.

SOME of the things you’ll need for this install:

1) 20 amp in-line fuse
2) About 5 +/- feet of red 14g wire
3) About 5 +/- feet of black 14g wire
4) Appropriate terminal connections to connect relay, horn button, and compressor
5) 5/16 to 5/16 Vacuum Connector (Auto parts store / Schucks $2.99)
6) Vinyl tubing with 5/16 I.D. (Lowes or Home Depot)
7) Small plastic wire hider tubing (Harbor Freight $2.29)
8) Some stainless screws/nuts/washers to mount the horn under the bike
9) Horn button (Auto parts store - $3.50)
10) Angle bracket (to hold compressor)

Here’s some of the stuff you’ll need if you want to do this install:

Here’s the compressor installing in my glove box. The ground on the compressor is attached to the screw that holds the glove box on the leg shield. I used an angle bracket (bent to resemble a skinny “U”) to mount the compressor to the leg shield and I drilled two separate holes in the bottom of the glove box for the air hose and “+” wire feed.

I put a piece of sticky backed rubber between the angle bracket (compressor mount) and the leg shield to dampen vibration and prevent scratching the leg shield.

Here’s the horn button installed on the floorboard.

Here’s the horn mounted under the floorboard with the vinyl air tube coming from glove box.

I installed the relay (comes with the horn) next to the battery.

Ossessionato
07 GTS250, Several Lambrettas
Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:51 am quote
Nice job!

Have you had problems with the horn scraping on the ground? Driveways, speedbumps, etc?
Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:01 am quote
starreem wrote:
Nice job!

Have you had problems with the horn scraping on the ground? Driveways, speedbumps, etc?
Thanks, no problem with the horn being too low as the exhaust is actually lower than the horn.
Hooked
BV250 & Aprilia scarabeo 250
Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:02 am quote
Nicely done!

I just ran into and issue with my stebel install on a BV250. This looks like it may be the solution.

Thank you!
Enthusiast
Vespa S 150 (Red) and Piaggio BV 250 (silver)

Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:42 pm quote
BUMP. Interested in the split-the-compressor-from-the-horn-solution to installing in tight spaces. Just got my Stebel in the mail today. It's not obvious to me how to separate the two. They seem pretty strongly joined at the hip. Don't want to break the puppies. Advice?
Addicted
2007 Vespa 250 gts / 1961 Vespa VBA
Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 am quote
Gin wrote:
BUMP. Interested in the split-the-compressor-from-the-horn-solution to installing in tight spaces. Just got my Stebel in the mail today. It's not obvious to me how to separate the two. They seem pretty strongly joined at the hip. Don't want to break the puppies. Advice?
I just got my Stebel for my gts, and installing separated as well. The plastic holding the compressor ("C" shaped) has a 1/4" pin...spread the "C" a bit too see. And using a very small flat tipped screwdriver where the compressor meets the horn...carefully slip the blade between the center tab.
Don't rush!
Lurker
2013 Stella w/sidecar
Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:50 pm quote
Screaming Banshee Split System
Hey Stubbie....great install! I'm getting the Screaming Banshee Split System for my Stella. I think I can see that you mounted the bracket to the floor of your glovebox correct??? If not could you explain how you did? Were you able to utilize any existing bolts or mounting point for the trumpet on the underside or did you drill new? Finally, in retrospect, would you have done anything different? Thanks.
Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:02 pm quote
Stebel Mount
I used a large "L" bracket (4"?) that I mounted to the back wall of the glove box. I bent the bottom of the L bracket to make it almost vertical, then I used hose clamps to clamp the motor to the vertical portion of the L bracket. Probably could have done it better... but that's what I had in my toolbox at the time
Molto Verboso
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946, '70 Honda Z50, '64 Vyatka VP150, '77 Vyatka-Elektron, '07 GTS250

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:54 pm quote
I installed Wolo on my PX, no holes, no decreased ground clearance , no loose wires
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic117138
2007 LX 150 (RIP); 2007 GTS 250
Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:25 pm quote
I like this
I know this is an old post, but that's ok. I'm possibly getting a 300 GTS soon...I think it needs a bigger bark, but I like the idea of still keeping the beep, for friendly greetings. I also like the (my) idea of being able to tap a gentle beep to remind neighboring cages that you're there...and subsequently unleash sonic Hellfire if the beep is ignored (and it usually is!) If I do this mod, I would like to possibly try to make the button blend in a bit more. Either that, or use one momentary switches with a red flip cover. . This inspired me...and will be a big help as I am no electrician! Thanks!
2007 LX 150 (RIP); 2007 GTS 250
Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:35 pm quote
Re: I like this
Jimi257 wrote:
I know this is an old post, but that's ok. I'm possibly getting a 300 GTS soon...I think it needs a bigger bark, but I like the idea of still keeping the beep, for friendly greetings. I also like the (my) idea of being able to tap a gentle beep to remind neighboring cages that you're there...and subsequently unleash sonic Hellfire if the beep is ignored (and it usually is!) If I do this mod, I would like to possibly try to make the button blend in a bit more. Either that, or use one momentary switches with a red flip cover. . This inspired me...and will be a big help as I am no electrician! Thanks!
Ok. Laughing at the fact that I'm responding to myself, but after a conversation I just had with another scooterist & after reading another post to the effect that having to find the switch in a location other than the standard switch is a distraction when you actually need a loud horn....maybe the foot switch is the best practical idea. I would probably spray my horn button all black and mount it on top of the rubber mat, but other than that, I love your work.
Hooked

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:28 am quote
A post from the future...Stebel at some point started epoxying the two parts of the Nautilus together. These are for all intents and purposes inseparable, as I discovered last night after an hour and a half of chipping away at the plastic with a lot of pointy tools, and doing more damage to my hands than to the bond betwixt pump and horn.

The coup de grace is the glueing of the pump output tube into the horn input; you just can’t get those apart without destroying the horn.

It turns out that the Stebel USA website sells “scrape and dent” versions of the Nautilus that are already separated and connected by a tube...for apparently less than the cost of the horn on Amazon. So that’s what I ordered this morning, and we’ll see what happens.

“Scraped and dented” is mild compared to what I did to my hapless brand new one.

https://www.stebel-usa.com/product/51/STEBEL_Excess_Inventory_Scrape_and_dent_SALE/
2019 Spring Gathering - May 16 - 19, Location TBD (Likely Maggie Valley, NC)   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.9156s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1654s) ][ Debug on ]