Battery problem
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
ET4
Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:32 pm quote
I have a 2002 ET4. Lately its battery does not seem to hold a charge.
I have to keep a battery tender on it every night just so it will start when I need it.
Whats the best brand and place to get a new battery?
Any advice would be great.
[/img]
Addicted
Daring Plum GT 200, Dragon Red LX 150, Kawi Green KLR 650, Hi-Viz Yeller V-Strom 650, Bonneville Black
Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:03 am quote
2002?

Original equipment?

You've worn that puppy thin. I'm happy to get two years service out of a battery. In warm climates (Florida and Hawaii) we don't put too much strain on them and they just up and quit one day without the slow-crank warning you'd get in the winter up north.

See this thread: http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic21376.html

The best advice from that thread: "I got mine at Pepboys for $50 just tell them you need a 12-BS battery. Better yet take out the old battery and turn it in for a discount. "
Lurker
2005 PX150
Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:52 am quote
Battery dead?
Sorry to hijack your post, but...

Do you happen to know if a low battery will cause the lights to go out when you apply either the foot or hand brake? Have a buddy that says I need to replace the battery, which is 3 years old anyways and should be done, but just doesn't seem like the cause.

I've seen other post of people saying they've ditched their battery's for KS, seems like if that's possible then a low battery wouldn't attribute to the lights going out?

BTW, I'm driving a 2005 PX150

Any advice would be appreciated!
Hooked
2009 BV250ie TOURER
Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:37 pm quote
Yes, your battery could be the culprit; the stop lamp illuminates when either brake is applied on my et. You should, however, have your charging system checked with a voltmeter or ammeter.
Molto Verboso
Kitted ET4.
Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:30 pm quote
Joel......"where's the charging system on the bike"?

Good point, and I'm keen to do so. Been having battery issues as of late.

Thanks in advance....
joel wrote:
Yes, your battery could be the culprit; the stop lamp illuminates when either brake is applied on my et. You should, however, have your charging system checked with a voltmeter or ammeter.
Hooked
2009 BV250ie TOURER
Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:51 am quote
I'm not sure Where the charging system is located on the Vespa (yet), but the test method simply involves hooking a voltmeter (cheap and available at any auto parts store) temporarily to the battery posts.

A properly charged battery in good condition should read about 12.6 volts with the scooter off. At idle, a modern vespa should read 13.5 to 14 volts. There are those on this forum who say a modern vespa will not charge at idle, only above...don't believe it. If you have a good, charged battery in your vespa and you don't see these #'s, it indicates the scooter is not recharging the battery after starts and must be repaired.
Vespa 2007 LX 150, BMW 1994 R1100RS
Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:28 am quote
Bad bad battery!
99% of the time this problem is due to your battery. You would have to replace it anyway at that age just to check your charging system. 3 years is about average for a motorcycle or scooter battery. They are small and have little extra capacity to deal with the normal sulfating that occurs over time. If you want to extend the life of your battery, keep it on a Deltran charger when the scooter will be out of use for more than a week. I have been using the Deltrans for many years on my motorcycles and 63 Chevy Corvair and they have greatly extended the battery lives on them all. Currently at 5 years on my BMW motorcycle battery! I am a fan of Yuasa batteries. I think you get what you pay for with motorcycle/scooter batteries. The cheap ones only seem to go 1-2 years at best. The website for Deltran:

http://www.batterytender.com/
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3597s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1116s) ][ Debug on ]