2005 Vespa ET 2 winter project
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300 many others
Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:02 am quote
2005 Vespa ET 2 winter project 700 miles recently wreched. I just about have all the upgrades I need. THis ET 2 starts and runs and I think the frame is straight or may need straighten, either way it's getting kitted or chopped or cut down to be a street demon heehee !!

Any advice from my fellow Techs out there ??

Tech 23

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:22 am quote
yeah... sell it to me.
i'll give ya 400.00 to take away that headache.

it doens't look that bad, but get it up here and we'll put it on the rack and see if we break out the torch and big hammers.

best,
-greasy
Hooked
2005 GT200L
Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:34 pm quote
wow that thing got slammed. post pics as you make progress, i think it will be interesting.
Hooked
Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:49 pm quote
Yeah the owner took a left hand turner head on. everyone be careful out there. I will take pictures of the progress of the scooter as soon a I figure out what parts I need, but it is going to be a hot rod when I'm done.

Sean
Hooked
2003 ET4 150/PX 150 Serie America #232/1974 Rally 200
Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:49 pm quote
i think it will be lots of fun to restore it,you should try to do a custom paint job besides the mandatory mechanics,post pics,good luck!

Cheers!
CUCO
Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club
Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:59 pm quote
Sean wrote:
Yeah the owner took a left hand turner head on. everyone be careful out there. I will take pictures of the progress of the scooter as soon a I figure out what parts I need, but it is going to be a hot rod when I'm done.

Sean
This brings up the issue of the color of your scooter and safety, which was mentioned in the GT Scooter Color Poll. The least visible color on the road is gray and more gray cars are involved in accidents. Same goes for scooters too, as this one can attest to. The brighter your scooter and you are, the better your chances are not NOT getting hit. Just some food for thought.
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:22 pm quote
Let me guess Nukie, pink is the safest color. Right?

I saw your picture on scooterdiva today. You're wacked!
Hooked
Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:14 pm quote
I took 'ol lucky for a spin tonight and lo and behold the scooter drove and handled just great I don't even think the frame is bent. I do know the fork is straight. After that I have striped her down and will be installing the goods. I have also done a little body work and she still looks ugly, but she is mine .I'll keep everyone updated.

Sean
Tech 23
Technical Moderator
Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:04 am quote
The two things that immediately came to mind when I saw the damage was swap-out the fork and run strings around the wheels to measure the frame. You did good with that purchase! Body work isn't difficult. If you don't own them already, buy a set of body hammers and hand anvils. You'll be surprised at the results. Spraying is easy too, if you're versed at it. Note to self: look for project scooter...
Hooked
Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:28 pm quote
SO here is the lastest. After the test ride and I felt that the frame and fork where good enough to consider straight. I began the process of pushing and banging out the legshield as pictured below. There are however a lot of small tears in the metal work, so I might consider the cobalt blue ET frame I have hanging over my fence. It has a bit of damage, but not as big as the current frame. Oh well I'll be back at it Monday.

Sean

Technical Moderator
Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:38 pm quote
If they're, as you say, "small tears", you could easily braze them. You won't need much heat. A Mapp gas torch and brazing rods will do the trick. A Mapp setup is relatively cheap too. That, and a grinding wheel on a drill (I use, and prefer, a small pneumatic grinder because it's light and low-heat) and you can make those panels perfect again.
Hooked
Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:59 pm quote
Ok so I was bored today and decided to come into the shop. I installed the 70cc Malossi kit and Sito plus. It took abit of banging around to get that kit installed but it is now in and the scoot is purring right now as I write this. The revs are a little high 2400 rpm and it seems to like it there any lower and it gets funny. I also have a Malossi 17.5 mm carb that I'm going to install later, but I might just break it in at this time. The scooter btw still looks ugly as sin and the other frame I have hanging on the fence in my yard is hanging there for a reason. It's fudged!! So I might take your advice on brazing Addicted and get the frame as far as I can take it or just order a new one. Since the entire scoot only cost me $300 I don't mind giving it a little love. Next up carb and Vari/roller kit. Does anyone know how the Athena kits are??? Ciao !!

Sean
Tech 23
Technical Moderator
Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:39 am quote
I wish I lived in your area Sean. I'd really like helping out with that project scooter. You're moving along rather quickly with it too.

If at any time you think I'm being too helpful, let me know. I'm just talking with you, as if we were working together. It sounds like the 70CC kit is needing a little more gas at the low end, and is happier in the mid-range where the carb isn't as lean. There isn't much you can do about the idle circut with the stock carb. This isn't going to help it's low end, but if you haven't done so already, moving the needle up a notch will further fatten the mid-range. You still might bog down at the upper end, or maybe not. If so, put the clip back again, and up the main jet. I know, you've been there and done that (many times, no less). I'm liking this thread.
Hooked
Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:35 am quote
Hey Gary I appreciate the helpful advice. Just because I'm a Vespa Tech that doesn't mean I know everything. I'm going to try the needle later on today, but I might just put in the 17.5 mm carb. When I first started up the ET2 with the kit and pipe installed. I wanted to see what this baby can do, but of course I have to break it in first grrrrr Oh well looks like I'll have to wait till I after the break in period. How many miles would you recommend? I'm thinking 300 miles, or maybe that's to soon. Also no ones seems to sale an upgear kit for this scooter. Well I have to get back at it. Take care.

Sean
Technical Moderator
Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:30 pm quote
The rings should have seated, and the cylinder should have scored, by 300 miles. Manufacturers used to specify about 500 miles for break-in, but now most say about 1,000 miles. I'm not sure what their true motivation is though. The average motorcycle rider is hard pressed to do 3,000 miles a year. So, if the manufacturer can get you to baby their product for 1,000 miles, their warranty claims go way down.

Repositioning the needle is just a 10 minute job, and seeing how it works in the mid-range can give you good information for use in tuning down the road (after those 300 break-in miles). It's going to run different, but not necessarily better, with the bigger carb. The best thing to hope for with the bigger carb is a tunable idle circuit. If the mid and upper range both bog down with the new carb, you can try swapping the mains between carbs (since you already have them on-hand). It still may not be exactly right, but it gives you a good feel for where you need to go next.
Sponsor
Vespa ET4
Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:03 am quote
Sean - A couple of resources that may come in handy:

The Vespaspeed forum - it's a small forum, but there are some ET2 owners who have done many of the same mods you're doing; maybe you'll pick up some info there.
http://www.vespaspeed.com/phpBB2/index.php

I noticed that Scooter Parts Direct has "raw" unpainted plastic panels for the ETs (looks like you might have to replace a few):
http://www.scooterpartsdirect.com/Index.asp?page=products&mcat=et4&cat=ET4BodyPart
Hooked
Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:04 pm quote
thanks for the info girlbike on the Vespaspeed forum I'll have a peek at it. I have seen the SPD webpage and they have a lot of great stuff, but I have plenty of parts lying about the shop, so that wouldn't be a problem. Well as far as updates are concerned I froze the top end of the ET2 I installed the new 17.5 carb and as soon as I hit the start button the engine revs went up and the motor shut down . So now I'm back to taking it apart again and starting over I might start on it after turkey day, but thats what I get for playing with fire. Oh well more updates after Thanks giving. Thanks for the info Gary and girlbike. Hope you all have a great Turkey day

Sean
Technical Moderator
Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:15 am quote
It seized Sean? That sucks.

Don't let it get you down though. You're fortunate in that you scrounge up parts. Did you disassemble that carb to see what happened? It's a rhetorical question. I'm not expecting a reply until we've all been stuffed with turkey and trimmings. Happy Thanksgiving.
Technical Moderator
Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:43 am quote
What's up Sean? Have you made any progress with the Frankenstein scooter lately? We want updates.

A guy here is looking to buy some common carburetor parts. I suggested he PM you. Maybe you can get some pocket change to help-out with your project.
Hooked
Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:20 pm quote
Funny you mentioned updates because I just checked out the top end of my ET2. So I moved the flywheel back and forth and noticed the piston was slightly moving, so I place one foot on the kick starter and with a little muscle the piston moved up and down. I was happy to say the least and didn't notice any damage on the barrel, but I will have to remove the top end to get a better look at those rings and piston. More to come soon thanks for asking Gary.

Sean
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 1.1808s ][ Queries: 23 (0.2280s) ][ Debug on ]