Your experences carrying extra gas?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
Author Message
Hooked
Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 179

Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:58 pm quote
Oultondave wrote:
du Tabac wrote:
Oultondave wrote:
du Tabac wrote:
Scooter_D wrote:
my advice is not to do it if you can avoid it. i did it once and the gas ended up sloshing out of the gas canister onto the floorboard
Whew! Was afraid for a moment there that you had used Oultondave's method..."there'll always be an England..."
It works well, better than filling the top box which I tried first but it leaked out of the mounting bracket holes!!!
and just as I was about to run a plastic tube from the top-box to the filller cap...
Plus it makes your sandwiches taste and smell of petrol!!

You see you don't get useful tips like this on scooter-forums my lad!!!!
Dave, everyone knows sandwiches go in the open glove box with the uncapped long-neck beer...
Molto Verboso
Blue 70th anniversary Vespa GTS 300
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 1305
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire, England
Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:06 pm quote
du Tabac wrote:
Oultondave wrote:
du Tabac wrote:
Oultondave wrote:
du Tabac wrote:
Scooter_D wrote:
my advice is not to do it if you can avoid it. i did it once and the gas ended up sloshing out of the gas canister onto the floorboard
Whew! Was afraid for a moment there that you had used Oultondave's method..."there'll always be an England..."
It works well, better than filling the top box which I tried first but it leaked out of the mounting bracket holes!!!
and just as I was about to run a plastic tube from the top-box to the filller cap...
Plus it makes your sandwiches taste and smell of petrol!!

You see you don't get useful tips like this on scooter-forums my lad!!!!
Dave, everyone knows sandwiches go in the open glove box with the uncapped long-neck beer...
Touche!!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Literider Envy
Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 7270

Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:32 pm quote
Re: Your experences carrying extra gas?
du Tabac wrote:
Because I'm planning some cross-country on my GTS 250, I stopped by a dealer's parts dept yesterday and looked at plastic thin-profile types, figuring to bungee-cord it down between my feet on the floorboard, probably using the eyebolts suggested in another thread.
Going from Texas to California, this is exactly what I did. I didn't use any eyebolts though, just hooked the ends of the bungee cord together through the handle of a standard 1-gallon gas can.

The 2 times I stopped to use it, I turned a corner and saw a gas station less than a mile later. So I never really needed it, but it did help with piece of mind.
Hooked
Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 179

Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:52 pm quote
Re: Your experences carrying extra gas?
Witch wrote:
du Tabac wrote:
Because I'm planning some cross-country on my GTS 250, I stopped by a dealer's parts dept yesterday and looked at plastic thin-profile types, figuring to bungee-cord it down between my feet on the floorboard, probably using the eyebolts suggested in another thread.
Going from Texas to California, this is exactly what I did. I didn't use any eyebolts though, just hooked the ends of the bungee cord together through the handle of a standard 1-gallon gas can.

The 2 times I stopped to use it, I turned a corner and saw a gas station less than a mile later. So I never really needed it, but it did help with piece of mind.
Been through some mightly lonely parts in West Texas and the southwest in general; that's exactly what got me to thinking about having a bit with me....
Ossessionato
ET2, PX150
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 3410
Location: Denver CO
Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:58 pm quote
Took a spill on a 1972 Suzuki 125 about 15 years ago, had a gas can strapped to it, just a standard red gas can and the can ended up in better shape than I was.
Member
paggio fly 150, lance gtr 50
Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 46
Location: las vegas
Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:54 pm quote
Your experences carrying extra gas?
i do not carry extra gas with me. i make my trips around the gas station. it gives me a brake from the road.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Literider Envy
Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 7270

Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:27 pm quote
Re: Your experences carrying extra gas?
jswscoot wrote:
i do not carry extra gas with me. i make my trips around the gas station. it gives me a brake from the road.
That's a good idea, but sometimes there's such long stretches of road without a gas station, you either make sure you have extra, or you sit on the side of the road.

I remember trying to plan my trip to make sure I hit a gas station within a certain number of miles, but if there's an unexpected wind to battle against, the hills are steeper than previously thought,, or you have to take a detour, it whacks out your gas mileage. Not to mention those tiny towns with one gas station that happen to be closed if you pass by at the wrong time. Just better prepared than not.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 29304

Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:42 pm quote
I used to always have some in my car when i lived and worked out in NM and AZ indian reservations. Did the four corners trip down into momument valley and i needed some then. Saw 1 person all DAY Coulda been a long wait
Member
paggio fly 150, lance gtr 50
Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 46
Location: las vegas
Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:43 pm quote
Your experences carrying extra gas?
thats very true witch. but here in las vegas and when i go on a long run i put the scoot on the trailer because of the one in a few gas stations.
WHOoligan
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 6695
Location: Los Angeles Kings, Stanley Cup Champions X2
Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 pm quote
I try not to, it makes me feel bloated.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 29304

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:47 pm quote
SNAPSHOT maybe you need to eructate (eructation) However is this what you need

products-softgels.jpg

WHOoligan
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 6695
Location: Los Angeles Kings, Stanley Cup Champions X2
Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:24 am quote
Ahh thats better thanks.
Hooked
Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 179

Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:09 am quote
snapshot05 wrote:
Ahh thats better thanks.
Talk about a "low-sider"...

Now, no open flames or sparks, please...
Hooked
Joined: 05 Aug 2006
Posts: 258

Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:51 am quote
My senior year in high school during the energy crisis in the 70s, a couple of classmates were planning a post graduation, cross country trip in their van. They had stockpiled gas, stored in the back of the van for their trip. One night, they lost control, ran off the road, and hit a tree. The van vaporized, killing both boys. My classmate's upper body was somewhat preserved for burial because he made it 50% of the way out the window, and was shielded by the door. His lower body was gone. Burned away. Melted.

Considering how likely an accident is on a scooter, I personally would think twice about carrying gas, especially in a plastic container.
Addicted
Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (Heavy)
Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 578
Location: Clearwater, FL
Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:12 am quote
Mounted plastic 2.25 gallon "Tour Tank"
The "medium range" Tank provides me with a 250 mile plus range.

Note!

My Avatar depicts a 6.0 gallon Tank mounted just behind the Glove Box.

This "long range" Tank provides me with a 450 mile plus range.

The untested "combination" will easily get a 600 mile plus range.

My "ranges" are based on +- a 50mpg "minimum". I have always experienced a higher mpg average.

Note!

My scooter is a GT-200 and has a Carb. I believe this was / is an advantage when adding an auxiliary Tank as the "plumbing" is pretty streight forward. "Tour Tanks" only come in metal now, I prefer the plastic version. The metal versions allow for "off setting" the Filler Cap which prevents the Head Light "shadow" effect from the plastic version as depicted in the Attachment.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

tANK GT-200 Closeup 002.jpg

Hooked
Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 179

Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:42 am quote
That's incredible, Mike; Al-Can Highway range.

I think my butt would fall-off before I reached the limit of either of those pups!
Molto Verboso
Nazgul
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 1985
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:53 am quote
Re: Your experences carrying extra gas?
du Tabac wrote:
Not to flog a dead horse, but may I ask what has been the real-world experience of folks who've done this?
I did this for 3200 miles. Is that what you have in mind? If so, I would not recommend it. The bungee puts pressure on the can causing it to leak. Even if you don't fill the can more than about 3/4s and are very careful about tightening the lid, it will still weep gas all over you and your scoot. Sorry.
Hooked
Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 179

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:07 am quote
Re: Your experences carrying extra gas?
jrsjr wrote:
du Tabac wrote:
Not to flog a dead horse, but may I ask what has been the real-world experience of folks who've done this?
I did this for 3200 miles. Is that what you have in mind? If so, I would not recommend it. The bungee puts pressure on the can causing it to leak. Even if you don't fill the can more than about 3/4s and are very careful about tightening the lid, it will still weep gas all over you and your scoot. Sorry.
Now that is an important insight. Thanks, John.

Someone posted a link to those non-leaking steel jerry cans; the smallest size (1 gal +) may be the way to go in light of your experience.
Molto Verboso
Nazgul
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 1985
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:24 am quote
Re: Your experences carrying extra gas?
du Tabac wrote:
Someone posted a link to those non-leaking steel jerry cans; the smallest size (1 gal +) may be the way to go in light of your experience.
Absolutely. And I would test it on a short trip to be sure before I lit out for the parts.

Glad I could help.
Banned
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250
Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 4332
Location: Utah Valley
Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:15 am quote
judy wrote:
SNAPSHOT maybe you need to eructate (eructation) However is this what you need


You talkin' to me?

Banned
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250
Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 4332
Location: Utah Valley
Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:21 am quote
Re: Your experences carrying extra gas?
jrsjr wrote:
Did you consider mounting the canister with the spout facing forward, keeping it "dry"?
Hooked
Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 179

Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:39 am quote
FWIW, just talked to the Jerry Can people - 1.3 gal size now backordered four weeks. That's cool; no rush.

Riding? I'm thinking sealed, spout-off until she's needed. And again, kept empty until the Garmin shows a "no-gas" zone...
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 29304

Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:02 am quote
WINDBREAKER New avatar DUTABAC hit up REI/LL BEAN for aluminum gas containers. Used to use them all the time backpacking. Personal experience with them and they pass all safety concerns. I don't know what the biggest size is but a few of the smaller size ones would work since you can stuff them in nooks and crannies. Should be enough to get you til your next stop.
Hooked
Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 179

Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:53 am quote
judy wrote:
WINDBREAKER New avatar DUTABAC hit up REI/LL BEAN for aluminum gas containers. Used to use them all the time backpacking. Personal experience with them and they pass all safety concerns. I don't know what the biggest size is but a few of the smaller size ones would work since you can stuff them in nooks and crannies. Should be enough to get you til your next stop.
Made the local rounds - everybody's out. No sweat - put the 1.3 gal J-can/spout on backorder & by the time it comes in, I'll be ready to leave
Hooked
Joined: 05 Aug 2006
Posts: 258

Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:14 pm quote
JRSJR: It could also be the gas can. Those Wal-Mart gas cans are notorious for weeping gas. I had one on a boat trip, and it always leaked. Hated the darn thing.

C
Molto Verboso
Blue 70th anniversary Vespa GTS 300
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 1305
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire, England
Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:55 pm quote
Re: Your experences carrying extra gas?
windbreaker wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
That is so so wrong............................
A yellow suit ,helmet and white trainers on an orange scooter NO NO NO

Where the hell are the fashion police when you need them????
Hooked
09 GTS 250
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 286
Location: California
Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:17 pm quote
Let out your extra gas.

fart gas.jpg

Hooked
2005 Tangerine Stella, 2007 Mint Green Perego Vespa, 2007 vintage Red GTS 250ie
Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Posts: 192
Location: Lakewood, WA
Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:49 pm quote
Oultondave wrote:
Carrying extra fuel has never been a problem for me on my GTS. When I refuel I also fill the under seat plastic storeage container with fuel, you can get just over 2 gallons in. Once refuelled cover it with cling film to stop it sloshing around. When required put a funnel in the tank spout and pour. Jobs a good 'un
I think my hamsters would find it difficult to breath, but I will try it and report back.

Bob
Resident Grump
MAC Motor, BBSHD. 30 Oct 2006
Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 15905
Location: MN
Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:43 am quote
louisq wrote:
http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/primus-fuel-bottles.html

1.5 liter best price shipped
Bottle arrive today. I'm very happy. I will use it zip tied to rear carrier as an added reserve. 1.33 liter filled gives me at least a 20 mile backup. More than sufficient for total fuel security in my scooting environment. It's actually even fairly decent looking AND well made. Probably even more secure than GTS tank.
Enthusiast
'04 GT200 / 04 Stella
Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Posts: 51
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:20 pm quote
du Tabac wrote:
My personal odessy is envisoned as No VA-to-Omaha-to-Denver-to-Taos and back by a coastal southerly route, and at a very leisurely rate. Blue highways as far as possible.

I'm especially curious to hear how that Omaha-to-Denver leg was, if you've already gone, or, if not, when you'll be doing it...I'll be doing much the same (Omaha-to-Colo-Springs) to pick up my new GT200 next weekend. (considering everyone who responded only thinks I'm 25% crazy)

Cheers,
Jake
Hooked
Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 179

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:18 pm quote
csjake wrote:
du Tabac wrote:
My personal odessy is envisoned as No VA-to-Omaha-to-Denver-to-Taos and back by a coastal southerly route, and at a very leisurely rate. Blue highways as far as possible.

I'm especially curious to hear how that Omaha-to-Denver leg was, if you've already gone, or, if not, when you'll be doing it...I'll be doing much the same (Omaha-to-Colo-Springs) to pick up my new GT200 next weekend. (considering everyone who responded only thinks I'm 25% crazy)

Cheers,
Jake
Trip (lv. Monday) moved to the cage - gotta get there quick - Mom's in the hospital.
Original trip via GTS pushed back until 10/08 (I hope).

As you know, Omaha-Denver is a long, high-desert trip; I'm prayin' that the B.O.d jerrycan comes in soon!
Molto Verboso
Blue 70th anniversary Vespa GTS 300
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 1305
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire, England
Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:21 pm quote
Osm3um wrote:
Oultondave wrote:
Carrying extra fuel has never been a problem for me on my GTS. When I refuel I also fill the under seat plastic storeage container with fuel, you can get just over 2 gallons in. Once refuelled cover it with cling film to stop it sloshing around. When required put a funnel in the tank spout and pour. Jobs a good 'un
I think my hamsters would find it difficult to breath, but I will try it and report back.

Bob
Teach them to swim, put a few "pool toys" in and they will enjoy the jouney as much as you will
Enthusiast
'04 GT200 / 04 Stella
Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Posts: 51
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:02 pm quote
du Tabac wrote:
csjake wrote:
du Tabac wrote:
My personal odessy is envisoned as No VA-to-Omaha-to-Denver-to-Taos and back by a coastal southerly route, and at a very leisurely rate. Blue highways as far as possible.

I'm especially curious to hear how that Omaha-to-Denver leg was, if you've already gone, or, if not, when you'll be doing it...I'll be doing much the same (Omaha-to-Colo-Springs) to pick up my new GT200 next weekend. (considering everyone who responded only thinks I'm 25% crazy)

Cheers,
Jake
Trip (lv. Monday) moved to the cage - gotta get there quick - Mom's in the hospital.
Original trip via GTS pushed back until 10/08 (I hope).

As you know, Omaha-Denver is a long, high-desert trip; I'm prayin' that the B.O.d jerrycan comes in soon!
I was secretly hoping you'd be doing that particular leg next weekend as well...then I wouldn't have to ride alone.

Sorry to hear about your mom - I'll pray for her, and your family.

Cheers,
Jake
Moderator
Joined: 12 Nov 2005
Posts: 5145
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:29 pm quote
From my last long trip...1,739 miles no problems.

I tried a 2 gallon container on a trip a couple of years ago, and like others have found...too cumbersome.

On this trip I also carried a fuel bottle in the saddlebag. I'm considering ditching the gas can in favor of two fuel bottles the next time. I like keeping the step-through unimpeded.

At Amerivespa I saw a scooter that had some sort of clips on either side that held a fuel bottle resting on the aft floorboards but I failed to get a pic of how it was done...did it belong to anyone here?

Still, to date I have never had to use the spare fuel...there always were enough gas stations around. I was even considering leaving the extra fuel containers home on this last trip. As it turned out, although I never needed it, I came seriously close to running out of gas a couple of times .

Close enough that on future long trips, I'm always carrying spare fuel.

Capture.JPG
A 1-gallon can and a sturdy bungee

Hooked
Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 179

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:10 pm quote
[quote="csjake

I was secretly hoping you'd be doing that particular leg next weekend as well...then I wouldn't have to ride alone.

Sorry to hear about your mom - I'll pray for her, and your family.

Cheers,
Jake[/quote]

Thanks, Jake - she needs them now.

You take care on that long, lonesome stretch!
Hooked
Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 179

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:13 pm quote
Menhir wrote:
From my last long trip...1,739 miles no problems.

I tried a 2 gallon container on a trip a couple of years ago, and like others have found...too cumbersome.

On this trip I also carried a fuel bottle in the saddlebag. I'm considering ditching the gas can in favor of two fuel bottles the next time. I like keeping the step-through unimpeded.

At Amerivespa I saw a scooter that had some sort of clips on either side that held a fuel bottle resting on the aft floorboards but I failed to get a pic of how it was done...did it belong to anyone here?

Still, to date I have never had to use the spare fuel...there always were enough gas stations around. I was even considering leaving the extra fuel containers home on this last trip. As it turned out, although I never needed it, I came seriously close to running out of gas a couple of times .

Close enough that on future long trips, I'm always carrying spare fuel.
Yep, the 5L jerrycan will be my security blanket when I head down into the Southwest - big spaces out there. Should be some wild scootin'.
(edit to correct capacity!)

Last edited by du Tabac on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 38979
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:20 pm quote
Menhir wrote:
Still, to date I have never had to use the spare fuel.
That's what I found, so I don't bother now. About 100,000 miles of touring under my belt...
Hooked
Excalibur!
Joined: 16 Feb 2008
Posts: 235
Location: Sunshine State
Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:25 pm quote
Heh! Thats where I put my yogurt!
Moderator
Joined: 12 Nov 2005
Posts: 5145
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:36 pm quote
The time I almost ran out of fuel didn't come from not enough stations, but not knowing where they were.

There are no signs on the Blue Ridge Parkway designating which exits have nearby gas stations and which don't. You can't see off the exits either...just trees and mountains.

To find a station, you would have to either know where they were (which I didn't), or ask someone if you could find someone (which I did). Otherwise, if you are desperate, you just have to take the exits and hope there was a station around (I did this too, and ended up finding no gas station and just burning up more gas).

So perhaps I should elaborate: When I'm on a trip that doesn't take me too far off the beaten path, or if I am familiar with the route, I usually don't take spare gas anymore.

If I'm out in the sticks in undiscovered country, spare gas goes along.

BTW: I did come across a scooterist on the Blue Ridge who ran out of gas. Luckily he had a spare container because there was no place around to get any.
Hooked
Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 179

Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:52 pm quote
Menhir wrote:
There are no signs on the Blue Ridge Parkway designating which exits have nearby gas stations and which don't. You can't see off the exits either...just trees and mountains.
I heard that.

Hunted the Blue Ridge for years and still got turned around and damn near ran my 4-wheeler dry. The mountains are dense, steep, and compass errors abound. A hike down and out if it comes to that, but why walk?

The West & Sothwest are another story - miles and miles of drivable roads, but no people and no water.

Probably more likely to have an unfixable (in the field) mechanical breakdown than run out of gas, but I'm going to have lots of water, gas, and a little food when I go to the sparse parts; just as you're advised to do in a cage.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.2084s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0593s) ][ Debug on ]